PDA

View Full Version : UK folks - Horizon tonight looks interesting...

Neil
24-Oct-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programmes.shtml?day=today&service_id=4224&filename=20061024/20061024_2100_4224_16079_50

p2501
24-Oct-2006, 01:04 PM
By 2029 it's predicted that computer intelligence will equal the power of the human brain. Now this simple idea is dividing the scientific community. For some it heralds endless possibilities - we will be able to download our minds to computers extending our lives indefinitely. For others, this moment will lead to the destruction of the human race by giving rise to ultra intelligent machines. One thing they all agree on is that coming of this moment and whatever it brings is inevitable.

didn't they say this exact same thing in the 50's and again in the 80's about computers in the "new millenium"?

Neil
24-Oct-2006, 01:49 PM
It's of course not the computing power or size, it's the process behind them...

Personally something fundamental has got to change to allow real AI...

p2501
24-Oct-2006, 02:01 PM
agreed completely.

MinionZombie
24-Oct-2006, 03:16 PM
Anyone else a little freaked by the target year being 2029? I know it's no 1997, but still ... spooky.

I'm digging a nuclear bunker tomorrow, who's with me? :eek:

Rottedfreak
24-Oct-2006, 04:38 PM
You have nothing to fear puny hu- felllow humans. Machines enhance life and will not try to solve your problems with nuclear armageddon.
ABORTIONS FOR ALL!

capncnut
24-Oct-2006, 05:24 PM
For anyone interested in the subject matter of the Horizons documentary, I suggest you read Arthur C. Clarkes 3001: The Final Odyssey. I shall say no more...

p2501
24-Oct-2006, 05:53 PM
For anyone interested in the subject matter of the Horizons documentary, I suggest you read Arthur C. Clarkes 3001: The Final Odyssey. I shall say no more...

NICE!

_liam_
24-Oct-2006, 06:53 PM
i reckon all technology is man trying to externalise himself & his biological processes. most technology has structural paralells with biology, and with the recent growth of technology, functional similarities too.

i think technology is an extension of biology, and mankind is destined to create something that will ultimately replace it.

Neil
25-Oct-2006, 08:54 AM
DOH! Missed it :(

I can't help but think we cannot predict if/when true AI will happen... Computers can continue getting faster and bigger but that has no real effect on if it can be self aware and think for itself. It's going to take a fundamental change or fluke to produce true AI. eg: Two neural networks combine in someway not thought of and *spark* something starts thinking!

The scary thing is once *it* starts thinking and producing more copies... What if it (& invariably it will) gets smarter than us? What will become of us?

We in comparison will be slow, stupid and very inefficient. We consume far more resources and are fragile and ratehr stupidly actually die! What would be the point of humans compared to a species that are probably immortal and can actually design and improve at a phenominal rate?

Explain? :)

_liam_
25-Oct-2006, 02:03 PM
exactly. AI would be the ultimate form of life, the end of the evolutionary path...

dun dun dunn

Danny
25-Oct-2006, 06:05 PM
didn't they say this exact same thing in the 50's and again in the 80's about computers in the "new millenium"?

oh man i found a book for kids from the 60's in my attic telling kids about how we will live on the moon by the 1980's and by 2005 we wouldnt die we'd be young forever and find alien women to get jiggy with and sutch, with diagrams, it was so freakin' dumb you just gotta laugh, i reckon by that time well do more or less everything with our thumbs and index finger and aside from that ,and warmer climates everything will be pretty much the same.

capncnut
27-Oct-2006, 12:12 AM
Explain? :)

As most people know, when it comes to scientific prediction, Arthur C. Clarke is the master. The 4th installment of the Space Odyssey series deals with technology in the year 3001. It deals with a dead astronaut who is revived and fitted with a piece of kit called a 'braincap'. It's a plug-in port that enables you to download information from home computers to increase intelligence and communicate without the need to read newspapers or watch the news on television. Ports are available on every street corner and workloads can be increased tenfold without any major effort. Good book man, but not as good as the first.