PDA

View Full Version : Savini FX

capncnut
24-Oct-2006, 11:09 PM
We all know Tom Savini is the master of his craft. So many ball rockin' special effects in so many ball rockin' movies. As a kid, the two that stood out to me the most was Rhodes' death in Day and the headshot from Maniac (yay, Joe Spinell). As you may have guessed already I'm asking you this: "What is your favourite Savini effect EVER!"

(I apologize if this thread has been started before but hey, I'm a newbie!)

kortick
24-Oct-2006, 11:21 PM
i liked his fx in all the films he did

but the deaths in Day were really impressive

someone here told me they thought that the violence was
"sadistic" in Day and over the top

does anyone else feel this way

Cody
24-Oct-2006, 11:23 PM
hells no! the gore made day buahahaha

savini for sure.

jdog
24-Oct-2006, 11:44 PM
the machette to the head in dawn rocked so did the explodeing heads in dawn and maniac. i have always loved when the helicopter cut the top off the zombies head in dawn.

Moon Knight
25-Oct-2006, 04:31 AM
Rhodes getting ripped in half was awesome. Also Major cooper's corpse on the table was amazing.

As far as make-up, the rise of Zombie Roger was the creepiest visual in Dawn Of The Dead. So simple, but yet so effective.

MaximusIncredulous
25-Oct-2006, 06:53 AM
i liked his fx in all the films he did

but the deaths in Day were really impressive

someone here told me they thought that the violence was
"sadistic" in Day and over the top

does anyone else feel this way

Something helped make Day the darkest day of horror the world has ever known. I just wish there woulda been more of it.

Almost forgot the Savini pick: I gotta go with the Major Cooper effect as well. Very bizarre looking thing.

BUTCHYPIE
26-Oct-2006, 02:01 PM
As far as make-up, the rise of Zombie Roger was the creepiest visual in Dawn Of The Dead. So simple, but yet so effective.

Yeah, I agree. The image of the changed Roger haunts me to this day. Very, very effective.

On the other hand, the blood pressure machine death rocked hard. Best scene with a a sombrero in the entire 4-pack.

-

Danny
27-Oct-2006, 02:29 AM
i aint to hot on gore in horror, i prefer the kinda terror you cant see, but yeah helicopter zombie losing his head was damn cool, and pretty dangerous, what if george yelled the actors name during a take?:barf:

Philly_SWAT
27-Oct-2006, 05:34 AM
Something that I always thought was funny....in Dawn, just as Roger is moving the A/C grate in the roof and is about to shoot Blades, Blades hears him, and grabs a zombie with his arm around the throat and uses them as a sheild! I always thought this was funny! I mean, Peter would have thought twice about shooting if an innocent woman was being held hostage that way, but a zombie? No way!

I like all of his FX, mostly the ones in Day stand out as awesome, as well as the well-known ones from Dawn. One of my favorites, less talked about and simple effects, was right before the scen I mention above. Savini sticks a knife into the neck of a zombie, and blood squirts out. But the actor playing the zombie has such a great expressions when this happens, it almost makes me think he was actually getting stabbed in the throat. Look for that next time and see if you dont agree.

capncnut
27-Oct-2006, 05:06 PM
I know the effect very well Philly, the one with the dubious looking pink blood! :lol:

bassman
27-Oct-2006, 05:13 PM
i aint to hot on gore in horror, i prefer the kinda terror you cant see, but yeah helicopter zombie losing his head was damn cool, and pretty dangerous, what if george yelled the actors name during a take?:barf:

The blades of the helicopter were animated in later.

cinezombi
22-Nov-2006, 01:07 AM
I am giving way a Savini Autographed Pic Here is the link to the Thread on the forum

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=4332