PDA

View Full Version : Which looks better... LCD or Plasma?

Neil
30-Oct-2006, 02:05 PM
Which looks better... LCD or Plasma?

LouCipherr
30-Oct-2006, 02:32 PM

I think that all depends on the source of your video feed. :D

I own a LCD, and personally I like the picture of my 50" Sony Wega over any plasma I saw in-store when I bought it, but the people in the store may not have hooked up their plasmas the correct way to show it's true potential - but I knew what I wanted when I walked in, so even if they did, I wasn't about to pay twice as much for a plasma when LCD gives me just as good as a picture. Yes, you can point to the technical specs of plasma being better by a small margin, but who cares about that when your eyes cant see those little differences?

...and I still think Plasma is way too expensive for what you get, so by default I would buy an LCD anyway regardless of picture quality differences between the two. ;)

Neil
30-Oct-2006, 02:36 PM
...and I still think Plasma is way too expensive for what you get, so by default I would buy an LCD anyway regardless of picture quality differences between the two. ;)

Plasma is almost about 3/4 the cost of LCD here like for like'ish...

Kaos
30-Oct-2006, 02:38 PM

LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) like the Sony SRXD televisions use typically provide better picture quality than either of those options.

Plasma has burn in issues. Regular LCD has Contrast issues, but are better now than they used to be.

Unfortunately, if you want to hang the tv on the wall, LCD and plasma are currently your only options.

LouCipherr
30-Oct-2006, 02:39 PM
Plasma is almost about 3/4 the cost of LCD here like for like'ish...

Really? wow! I'm shocked - I wonder why you guys have plasma for cheaper than we do here in the US? :rockbrow:

Seriously, here in the states, plasma is MUCH more expensive (in most cases) than LCD; hence, why I picked up LCD. If your plasmas are almost the same cost as LCD there, and you don't mind the possibility of burn-in on your screen, then I'd snatch up a plasma just because.

Along the lines of what KAOS was saying, lcd does indeed supposedly has contrast issues, but y'know what? The only contrast issue I have with my Wega (it's only a year old) is that the black is not true 'broadcast quality black' - meaning, it's not pure 100% black. Being a rear-project LCD, it comes with the territory - but that doesn't distract from the picture nor is it distracting during viewing. ;) I've heard and read that DLP has broadcast-quality black and has good contrast. No idea about the LCOS tv's - they weren't around when I was looking to buy - and if they were, I missed 'em. :lol:

Neil
30-Oct-2006, 02:57 PM
LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) like the Sony SRXD televisions use typically provide better picture quality than either of those options.

Plasma has burn in issues. Regular LCD has Contrast issues, but are better now than they used to be.

Unfortunately, if you want to hang the tv on the wall, LCD and plasma are currently your only options.

I thought Plasma burn issues were a bit of an urban myth (these days)... ie: You'd have to leave a TV on a static image for half a day...

axlish
30-Oct-2006, 03:08 PM
The newer plasmas have features that prevent burn in. I forget what it is called, but it is some sort of image shift that the human eye cannot detect. It keeps the image from going stagnant.

Debbieangel
30-Oct-2006, 03:09 PM
I think that all depends on the source of your video feed. :D

I own a LCD, and personally I like the picture of my 50" Sony Wega over any plasma I saw in-store when I bought it, but the people in the store may not have hooked up their plasmas the correct way to show it's true potential - but I knew what I wanted when I walked in, so even if they did, I wasn't about to pay twice as much for a plasma when LCD gives me just as good as a picture. Yes, you can point to the technical specs of plasma being better by a small margin, but who cares about that when your eyes cant see those little differences?

My brother owns a plasma and all he has had to have it fixed numerous times...I have gone out and watched movies and to tell you the truth unless you are looking straight on to it its not good quality tv to watch!
We are going to have to get a new tv in the New year so I am watching this thread to get some ideas on whats best to buy?

Kaos
30-Oct-2006, 03:46 PM
The newer plasmas have features that prevent burn in. I forget what it is called, but it is some sort of image shift that the human eye cannot detect. It keeps the image from going stagnant.

We just bought 5 new plasmas at my university this summer. Right now, they all have very obvious burn in. The myth is the fix.

capncnut
30-Oct-2006, 04:22 PM
Due to cost, I chose LCD.

axlish
30-Oct-2006, 04:23 PM
We just bought 5 new plasmas at my university this summer. Right now, they all have very obvious burn in. The myth is the fix.

The feature is called Auto Pixel Shift. Did these models have that feature?

Right now I have a 35" 1080i 4:3 tube. My next purchase will be a projector. I love the pic on plasmas but I am already bought in and I want the projector for its image size.

LouCipherr
30-Oct-2006, 04:29 PM

For as much money as people spend on Plasma, they should have a feature like this (and they do, i've heard about it, but don't know much about it) and it should've been in place from day one.

As far as how long it takes for the burn-in to occur, who knows - but do you wanna find out after you spend $3000 on a tv? I sure as hell didn't. :lol:

LCD for me, at least until some newer (and better) technology comes along - and my wallet fills up again. ;)

I almost considered DLP, but the thousands and thousands of little moving mirrors in the screen discouraged me. Too many parts that could go wrong at any point - however, I know a few people with DLP's and their picture is very very nice.

Kaos
30-Oct-2006, 04:39 PM
The feature is called Auto Pixel Shift. Did these models have that feature?

I have no idea, but you stated burn in was a myth on new models. Our new models do have burn in, and I know that the salesman said they would not. The people who bought them were duped as far as I am concerned. Granted, the university punishes these screens with relatively static images, but one of them is used for an XBOX 360 in the student lounge and it also exhibits burn in.

axlish
30-Oct-2006, 05:12 PM
I have no idea, but you stated burn in was a myth on new models.

I never said that.

_liam_
30-Oct-2006, 05:28 PM
lcd for me, although i sometimes have to adjust contrast settings for different movies.

plasmas good as well though, i wouldnt say there's that much between them.

Kaos
30-Oct-2006, 05:50 PM
I never said that. Oops! Sorry!

Cody
30-Oct-2006, 08:14 PM
I dont really care which one looks better, Ill buy LCD either way. I dont like the idea how plasma gas burns out

DjfunkmasterG
30-Oct-2006, 08:21 PM
You didn't list DLP as an option, but of the 2 LCD is nice.... Plasma still has that BURN-IN problem if you freeze a picture too long.

You also might want to look into DLP (the contrast has a much better black level than Plasma or LCD.

Cody
30-Oct-2006, 08:41 PM
^^ I didnt know about burn-in. Now I really dont like plasma

Neil
30-Oct-2006, 09:09 PM
^^ I didnt know about burn-in. Now I really dont like plasma

Not an issue as far as I know... Suspect it's something perpetuated by LCD sales men...

Plasmas give a more natural colour generally, and a more natural motional generally.... IMHO

Kaos
30-Oct-2006, 09:19 PM
Not an issue as far as I know... Suspect it's something perpetuated by LCD sales men...

Plasmas give a more natural colour generally, and a more natural motional generally.... IMHO

I don't sell LCD's, and I see burn-in. Hmm....

(I do agree with your assessment about the color and motion. In that regard plasmas look very good.)

HLS
30-Oct-2006, 10:54 PM
From what I understand plasma screens have a short life. At least that is what an electronic geek friend of mine told me.

LS1GTO
30-Oct-2006, 11:41 PM
I personally think the pricing is CRAP on both. I'm still happy with my old tube tv and I'll probably wait another year or two before getting anything larger and going for a Plasma or LCD tv.

The profit margin on those tv's are huge, its unbearable. I work at a consumer electronics retail store and looking at employee pricing on plasma's and the actual retail price..... There are a few, especially the sony's, that are marked up by more than 1,000.00 with the highest I saw marked up 1,400.00. Even with employee pricing being only a little bit over cost, its still too high yet

Neil
31-Oct-2006, 08:15 AM
I dont really care which one looks better, Ill buy LCD either way. I dont like the idea how plasma gas burns out

Another LCD salesman trick I believe... The life of a plasma is probably longer than you'd ever own the set...

I don't sell LCD's, and I see burn-in. Hmm....

(I do agree with your assessment about the color and motion. In that regard plasmas look very good.)

How/where have you experienced burn-in out of interest? ie: What conditions? Was it a modern or old plasma set?

DjfunkmasterG
31-Oct-2006, 09:38 AM
Neil, just google the difference between LCD and PLASMA.

Plasma also uses more power The lowest power consumption is DLP, PLASMA is the highest.

Bunker65
31-Oct-2006, 12:30 PM
If I had the money to buy a new TV right now I would lean towards the DLP. Of the choices here I would go with LCD.

It's a moot point right now though since my ass is broke & a new TV ain't in the cards :lol:.

I'm waiting for my brother to move into his new house. He'll probably get all new TV's so I'm gonna stand in line for his 60" Sony Grand Wega LCD :). Hell, I'm good to him & his family. Maybe he'll take pitty on his little brother & give me the Wega :D.

CivilDefense
31-Oct-2006, 12:50 PM
I have been mulling this over but have had to wait because I am remodeling the basement into a media room, It will be very dark down there, so contrast will probably be a plus.. However, I will be using it with

A) a Windows Media Center, so I will want to use the standard VGA connection with that I think

B) an xbox 360 which I believe uses component in

C) a Directivo, Unfortunately I am in Canada, and have limited options regarding my choice in DVR. IF I want Tivo, I gotta have my US account, and while I realize there is a HD hack for the unit, it seriously limits the hours, and at that point, I figure its probably time to drop the Directv and go with Canadian Digital cable, with their rentable DVR.. Anyway..

I have read that when connecting a computer to a Plasma isnt optimal due to burn in, and I like the picture on LCD fine.. Who knows.

The other thing is how many under $2000 lcd's (larger 32" and over) are 1080p now? and does it really matter. It may be 3-4 months before I am ready to buy so I suppose there will be more out there at that time.

My rich father in law got one of those friggin huge 50+ lcd projection grand wega, and I gotta say that new sony LCD is incredible. I set it up for him and turned on some bbq' cooking show in HD,and it was amazing how real the food looked in closeups. like you could grab it. However, I dont see it being worth the kind of money he spends on tv. Especially since they watch 90% Cnn :eek:

Kaos
31-Oct-2006, 01:01 PM
How/where have you experienced burn-in out of interest? ie: What conditions? Was it a modern or old plasma set?

As stated in the previous post, the university I work for purchased 5 brand new plasmas in July. All exhibit burn it. On 3 of them, they show a slideshow of information of happenings around campus. This can be brutal to plasmas. I really doubt there is enough pixel shift that can compensate for this type of media. I think that is also true for the one they use for the XBOX 360. Too many static parts of the screen being static in certain games or on the menues for a pixel shift to really help. The last one actually shows a MTV College channel. It also has a bit of burn in, but that is because they never change the station and the channel is 4X3 and the tv is 16X9. The black bars on the side have contributed to burn in.

LouCipherr
31-Oct-2006, 01:19 PM
Another LCD salesman trick I believe... The life of a plasma is probably longer than you'd ever own the set...

Wait a sec, for everything said against Plasma you're going to say it's a 'LCD salesman trick'? :p what about the Plasma salesman tricks? I realize every salesman has his ways of swaying people to buy what they want you to buy, but not every negative about plasma is a "lcd salesman trick" - I will tell you this personal experience: I know someone who bought a plasma and their bulb went up 3 weeks after buying it, and it took over a week to get it replaced (even under warranty). Here I am, a year later with my 50" LCD, and mine is still funcitoning perfectly fine. Salesman trick? :lol:

Here's a good read. This article was written 2 years back but was updated in February 2006. The comparison chart at the end of it it probably most important. This has lots of VERY good information regarding the differences between the technologies:

The Differences between LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc. (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displaytechnologiesguide.php)

I say to people all the time 'damn the technology aspect, buy what looks good to your eyes, not what people tell you is what they consider to be the best technology'

Buy what looks good to you and meets your home entertainment needs, that's what I did. It's not about what's "better" it's what looks and works "best for you" ;) Believe me, LCD isn't the best technology, but I went with it because I went to the local store, looked at ALL the options available, picked a few from each catagory (LCD, DLP, not plasma - that was out of my price range) and picked which one looked best to my eyes and met my home theatre needs. Since Plasma here in the US is priced about as stupid as it can be (simply the most expensive on the market here), I kept my choices between LCD and DLP, and to me, LCD's picture looked superior to my eyes. I know DLP has better contrast, etc, etc, but LCD (to me) looked better, so that's what I bought.

Bunker65
31-Oct-2006, 02:26 PM
I say to people all the time 'damn the technology aspect, buy what looks good to your eyes, not what people tell you is what they consider to be the best technology'

Buy what looks good to you and meets your home entertainment needs, that's what I did. It's not about what's "better" it's what looks and works "best for you" ;) Believe me, LCD isn't the best technology, but I went with it because I went to the local store, looked at ALL the options available, picked a few from each catagory (LCD, DLP, not plasma - that was out of my price range) and picked which one looked best to my eyes and met my home theatre needs. Since Plasma here in the US is priced about as stupid as it can be (simply the most expensive on the market here), I kept my choices between LCD and DLP, and to me, LCD's picture looked superior to my eyes. I know DLP has better contrast, etc, etc, but LCD (to me) looked better, so that's what I bought.

That's 100% correct LC, preach on :cool:. Whatever looks best you YOU, as the consumer, is what you should buy.

Dommm
31-Oct-2006, 02:57 PM
I have had a relativly Cheap Samsung LCD which has picture quality comparable to any plasma worth 2500 at the time (last march) the onboard speakers are amazing, It has onboard DTV and is still only a lil over a centimeter thick all this for 850 (now I have seen it around for 650) it also has all the connectors I will ever need plus a couple I will probs never need.

C5NOTLD
16-Aug-2009, 10:28 PM
Just saw this thread - I realize it's an older one.

LCDs are better for rooms exposed to window light.
Plasmas are better for darker rooms.
If you buy a quality brand (either in Plasma or LCD) you won't have to worry about the tv breaking down.

Common Plasma burn in from regular use is a myth with the newer tvs. First generation had it. The new plasmas do not.

Any plasma will burn in if you abuse it by leaving the black bars on the side for an extended amount of time or keep it on a channel with a logo for an extended amount of time (like a college or doctor waiting room setting or airport monitors), or play the same xbox 360 game on it for 16 straight hours that has stationary targeting lines on screen.

For 99% of Plasmas owners burn in will not occur as most do not abuse their sets. You really have to go out of your way to get burn in.

I own a Panasonic Plasma 50" - I watch letterbox movies, I watch football games with station logos on screen, I play xbox 360 games on it (zero lag during gaming) . No Burn in. It honestly isn't a worry any longer for the average user. The Plasma HD images are stunning especially bluray.

Danny
16-Aug-2009, 11:03 PM
cant remember which, i think lcd, but when i bought my 52 inch bastard i was looking at too similar ones, one lcd one plasma and one would give me a better picture, but the other would last longer, i went for the lasting one. i think mines a lcd im not sure though.

C5NOTLD
17-Aug-2009, 09:14 AM
, but the other would last longer, i went for the lasting one. i think mines a lcd im not sure though.

My Plasma is rated to last 100,000 hours.
If I watch it 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, it will only last 27 years. :D

LCDs usually are at least 80,000 hours so they are long lasting as well.
Better brand you have the better off you are.

bassman
17-Aug-2009, 11:57 AM
My LCD is working like a charm, but a relative of mine accidentally fell asleep with his Plasma tv on for about 10 hours and now how a constant burn of the "TruTV" logo in the bottom corner.

So the burn thing happened to his and it's not an older model....

Skippy911sc
17-Aug-2009, 12:08 PM

I Have a Sony SXRD and when I bought it I thought it was the hottest bitch in the place. It was not the cheapest or the thinnest (that was a not an issue for me) but it had the best look and my 360 looks awesome...so awesome you would think I could play better because of it...and yet I cannot.

darth los
18-Aug-2009, 05:04 PM
PLASMA!! :thumbsup: