PDA

View Full Version : Networking computers...

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2006, 12:04 PM
Back at uni we had all our computers networked through a router, which is how we all shared the internet. Now, I still have my cable that I used for this purpose - we also used to transfer files to each other over the network and I remember it being quite fast at trasnferring.

Anyway, I was thinking of networking my laptop and desktop together for when I transfer files (I usually use a USB link cable, which being USB isn't the fastest). So basically, as it's been quite some time since all that networking was done, how do I simply go about networking my two computers together to transfer files from one to the other?

(This time though, I'd be networking without any internet in the equation - well, I'd separately connect my laptop to the internet to download, but then disconnect and move it to another room where I'd want to network to my desktop, which isn't connected to the internet at all.)

Any help? :)

LouCipherr
03-Nov-2006, 12:31 PM
*whips his hands to his temples and prepares to "scanner-brain" MZ*

are you sure you really wanna hear this? :lol: hold onto your brainstem.

Ok, if you want to transfer files between computers using a LAN (a/k/a "CAT 5") cable rather than USB, you need one of a few things:

A) a router or a hub to connect both of them to, or

B) you need a LAN 'crossover' cable (which is used to connect two computers directly - one LAN connection to another without the use of a hub or router). This is different than a standard LAN cable! The one you used at uni to connect to the router will not work for this purpose, FYI.

Either one will work, one is a little easier and needs less hardware (LAN crossover cable).

If you go the router/hub way, you'll need to connect both computers to the router/hub (unless it's wireless, but to cut down on confusion, let's not go there just yet.. :lol:) with LAN cables and configure XP correctly on both computers (not hard, I can explain via PM if needed)

I'm sure there's other ways to do it, but these are the ways i'd look into accomplishing it. ;)

*watches MZ's head explode* Hey, I think I got some brain on my shirt.. dammit MZ! :lol:

If all of this is overwhelming, then just keep doin' the USB transfers. It'll be safer for your mental health. :D

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2006, 02:19 PM
lol ... I think I understood most of that, and yes, I am now talking to you from a bloody, oozing hole in the middle of my neck where my head used to sit...my eyes are perched atop the dribbly stump. :elol:

Will have a gander at that cable I used, take a picture and post it perhaps, just in case...

*sigh*

See, this is how impatient I am, I can't even wait for USB to transfer my files, I need something even faster to do it for me! :p

LouCipherr
03-Nov-2006, 02:38 PM
y'know, if you'd just take my partitioning advice, you'll never have to go through this again. :lol: :p

I'm just messin' with ya and that bloody stump you have left you call a neck. :lol:

Yeah, there is a difference between the standard LAN/CAT5 cable and the 'crossover' LAN/CAT5 cable. If the cable you have is the one you used at uni to plug into a router, no picture necessary, it's not a crossover cable. ;) Crossover cables are used to connect one LAN port to another LAN port directly. Standard LAN/CAT5 cable needs a router, hub, or something of the sort to cross the information over to the other computer.

Hope that didn't hurt your brain anymore than it did mine. :D

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh right okay, that made sense ...

Dang, another brilliant idea born from impatience flushed down the crapper. :lol:

Eyebiter
03-Nov-2006, 02:56 PM
If you can't get the network going without additional hardware or cables - if it's a small file either email it to yourself or burn a CD.

radiokill
03-Nov-2006, 04:06 PM
if you only want one PC online, just get a crosstalk cable..cheaper, easier.

Cody
03-Nov-2006, 08:11 PM
good lord its like speaking another language

LouCipherr
03-Nov-2006, 10:59 PM
good lord its like speaking another language

:lol:

just makes ya wanna scream "neeeeeeeeeeeeeerd!!!" doesn't it? :D

MinionZombie
04-Nov-2006, 11:28 AM
*sigh* If you insist...

NNNNNNNEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDD!!!! :lol:

I think I'll stick with the old USB linky-uppy cable, I'm too lazy now to change my ways. :D

DeadJonas190
06-Nov-2006, 06:20 AM
Lou is right. Listen to him.

However, it is cheaper for a crossover cable so that is probably the best thing to use.

Neil
06-Nov-2006, 08:50 PM
You got ADSL? Why not get an ADSL wireless router and get a wireless card for your laptop?

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2006, 11:02 AM
*brains starts melting* ... lol, not really sure what ADSL is, we have broadband but that's all I really know. But you forget one thing, I've got no money. :lol: I'm just gonna stick with the same old USB link cable I've always used.