PDA

View Full Version : DVD Xvid/DivX players... Why not allow USB memory sticks?

Neil
06-Nov-2006, 12:16 PM
I love my DVD player that also plays Xvid/DivX etc. I download episodes, put them on a DVDR, and then just watch them on TV... Fab!

However, surely the more logical thing would be if I could drag the episodes onto a USB memory stick?

Seems the manufacturers don't agree as this isn't possible (yet)? Thus far I've seen one player with a USB socket, put all it could use it for was for pictures! Doh!

Anyone know if there is such a player out?

ps: The one thing I find with my existing Pioneer player is quite often on downloaded material the voice sync goes out slight, and I have to pause/rewind/fastward a little bit to kick it back into place...

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2006, 12:33 PM
Would it be something to do with not being able to play at good enough quality from a USB? As in the transfer wouldn't be fast enough?

We had a DivX DVD player at uni, it was a great thing, kinda wish I had one, but I still love my Samsung DVD player that I got 4 years ago, it's a quality product and hasn't given me and jip, mind you, it would be nice to view DivX on TV slouched with my feet up in the recliner instead of sat semi-upright at my computer. :lol:

My guess is not being able to play something from the USB drive stick thingy fast enough to make it worthwhile. But then again, if you're keeping the media, might as well burn it ... but then again I see the point with a USB as you wouldn't have to wait for like 2 or 4 episodes to fill a CD-R ... hmmm.

axlish
06-Nov-2006, 12:57 PM
The most logical thing to do would be to invest in a 5 pack of RW discs.

Neil
06-Nov-2006, 01:01 PM
The most logical thing to do would be to invest in a 5 pack of RW discs.

Yeh, but burning a DVDR is far more hassle (& slower) than just dragging a file onto a USB stick...

You can also "amend" what's on the USB stick - ie: Remove the episodes you've watch - leaving on there what you haven't - and put more on it.

Would it be something to do with not being able to play at good enough quality from a USB? As in the transfer wouldn't be fast enough?

Nah... If you downloaded say an episode of Lost and put it on a USB2 memory stick, bet you could watch it from that stick - ie: The sticks' speed is fast enough.