PDA

View Full Version : The new 360 models?

MikePizzoff
06-Nov-2006, 05:37 PM
Can anybody give me a link to an article about the new XBOX 360 models that are supposedly shipping out in 2007? I've heard about this from a few people but I can't seem to find any solid information. If it's not true, then I'll just go ahead and buy one now.

capncnut
06-Nov-2006, 06:05 PM
I take it you mean the much hyped HD-DVD version with extra hard drive space? I'm afraid there will be no solid information for a while until the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray war gets under way, you could be waiting until next Christmas (or beyond) for that model. Microsoft have so far only confirmed add-ons (HD-DVD drive, larger hard drive, larger memory card etc) but this updated 360 could be a fair way off. So Mike... GO GET ONE NOW MAN!!! :)

MikePizzoff
06-Nov-2006, 06:16 PM
Actually that's not what I meant. I've heard from people that Microsoft would be upgrading something else inside the systems that would prevent them from causing all of the problems people keep having (overheating itself to death, creating huge scratches in discs, etc). I remember them saying it would be available in January 07.

But the more I search the less I think this is valid information.

I'm very nervous to spend $400 on a system that may be faulty. I don't think I've ever read so many complaints about a system before.

capncnut
06-Nov-2006, 06:22 PM
I've heard from people that Microsoft would be upgrading something else inside the systems that would prevent them from causing all of the problems people keep having (overheating itself to death, creating huge scratches in discs, etc). I remember them saying it would be available in January 07.

I can only speak for myself here and I have had absolutely NO TROUBLE with my 360 in terms of overheating or disc scratches. I have found that tiny 'marks' do appear but they seem to wipe off quite nicely with a soft cloth. If you purchased a 360 with problems such as the ones you described, Microsoft are obliged to replace it for you. Simple as that, my friend. You gotta get a slice of this console man!

CoinReturn
06-Nov-2006, 06:30 PM
As far as I know, every 360 manufactured after April had worked out all the overheating kinks. I say get one now, so many great games coming out in the next two months, plus it has the best online structure of any next gen console (from what we've seen.) Buy a warranty if you're worried about it breaking down on you. I can't believe my launch system is still working, to be honest :lol:

slickwilly13
06-Nov-2006, 07:10 PM
I had some overheating problems with my console. I bought it last August. The external cooling fans have helped. But I will trade mine in anyways. Go ahead and buy one, but make sure you buy a replacement plan for one year. Then do what i am going to do. But do it next summer or early fall. That way the upgraded consoles will be out.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/736/736297p1.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xbox+360+chip+upgrade

MikePizzoff
06-Nov-2006, 08:09 PM
If you purchased a 360 with problems such as the ones you described, Microsoft are obliged to replace it for you.

See, this is where I'm also weary... I've heard many many stories of people saying Microsoft charged nearly half the price of the console ($200, in other words) to fix it and send back. Bahhh!

I trust you guys. I'm just trying to figure everything out 100% before I put down a whole month's rent + phone bill on one of these things. I appreciate all the input everyone's giving.

capncnut
06-Nov-2006, 09:11 PM
See, this is where I'm also weary... I've heard many many stories of people saying Microsoft charged nearly half the price of the console ($200, in other words) to fix it and send back. Bahhh!

Microsoft will charge nothing if the problem is discovered in a year of purchase. There is also a special plan where you pay a very small amount (£30 UK) and you get covered for three years.

I can't believe my launch system is still working, to be honest :lol:

Mine too, like a dream!

MikePizzoff
07-Nov-2006, 04:02 AM
I had some overheating problems with my console. I bought it last August. The external cooling fans have helped. But I will trade mine in anyways. Go ahead and buy one, but make sure you buy a replacement plan for one year. Then do what i am going to do. But do it next summer or early fall. That way the upgraded consoles will be out.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/736/736297p1.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xbox+360+chip+upgrade

So do you think it'll work if I buy one with a replacement plan... then in about 8 months trade it in for one of the upgraded ones? I don't see that working to my benefit. I see myself getting back a refurbished launch model. I have no luck.

slickwilly13
07-Nov-2006, 05:18 AM
I bought mine at GameStop with their replacement plan which was around $30-$50 for one year. The manager himself, told me that I could bring it up there and exchange it for another 360 at their store. It would be a new console and not a 2nd-hand or rebuilt. I don't have to deal with Microsoft. Only GameStop. EB Games offers the same deal since they are the same company.

MikePizzoff
07-Nov-2006, 05:25 AM
I bought mine at GameStop with their replacement plan which was around $30-$50 for one year. The manager himself, told me that I could bring it up there and exchange it for another 360 at their store. It would be a new console and not a 2nd-hand or rebuilt. I don't have to deal with Microsoft. Only GameStop. EB Games offers the same deal since they are the same company.

Willy, I think you just sealed the deal. Thanks to everyone that gave me info/advice! Feel free to input more.

XBOX 360 shall be mine very soon. Hopefully I can buy it for myself as an early x-mas present. I'm horrible at saving money.

DeadJonas190
07-Nov-2006, 06:00 AM
They are replacing the processors in January with a processor that is pretty much the same, but it runs cooler. Working in a Blockbuster with a GameRush inside of it I have talked to a lot of people who have had to send in their units for repair. One of my co-workers was sent a new console as his had completely burnt out on him after a couple months. I would definatly wait until after January or get the warranty plan from Gamestop/EB Games mentioned earlier.

Check out wikipedia for a little info about the new processor... and I mean just a little. It's about half way down the page in the CPU paragraph.

Danny
07-Nov-2006, 06:07 AM
i had no problems on launch day cept for a faulty copy of kameo but i just exchanged it for a workign one, and i guarantee most of the burnt out consoles was just not giving em a break, the first day mine got incredibly hot after an hours play but i kept giving it an hours rest just ni case, now a few months later it doesnt even get as hot as my sky box or dvd player after being on almost 24 hours, i think when its new out the box its just gotta be weaned into long gameing stints, cus all them processors aint used to running anything right away but thats my 5 cents on it anyway.

its still bloody loud for a disc drive though.:rolleyes:

capncnut
08-Nov-2006, 09:54 PM
its still bloody loud for a disc drive though.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking the noise may also be applicable to long gaming stints as mine purrs rather quietly now.

DeadJonas190
09-Nov-2006, 06:13 AM
i guarantee most of the burnt out consoles was just not giving em a break

No, it's actually because the processors were running hotter than they were supposed to run and the lack of airflow through the system. A system burning out because of people not giving them a break is not even acceptable anymore as game companies know how hardcore a lot of gamers are and must put that into the mix when designing a system.

At least Microsoft is fixing the problem and taking care of the people who have experianced it... or at least they say they are. Sony would let it go for 2 years and then issue a redesign to the console adding some unnecessary feature that is supposed to "Improve" the console and then ignore everybody who had problems with the initial version until they lose a lawsuit... as they have with both of the Playstations.