PDA

View Full Version : Bitrot...

Tricky
06-Nov-2006, 06:42 PM
Does this board have it?because it seems to be hanging every time i try to open a page!another vbulletin board i use has started doing it as well :confused:

Terran
06-Nov-2006, 11:07 PM
Happening to me too

capncnut
06-Nov-2006, 11:50 PM
I've had awful problems with this today, sometimes taking 30 seconds or more to turn pages. What's the crack?

deadpunk
07-Nov-2006, 03:30 AM
same here.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2006, 10:36 AM
I have been having that problem for over a month, I did inform andy about it too.

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2006, 12:35 PM
Aye, last night the forum was running like total saggy ass, was just sat there doing fudge all, taking a minute or more to load a page - and I'm on freakin' broadband (all other pages were running fine, it was just VBB that was draggin' bum).

No idea what "bitrot" is though. :eek:

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2006, 01:17 PM
This forum has been laggy for some time now. I can't even explain how bad it has been for me numerous times and I have cable broadband at 10mbps.

Tricky
07-Nov-2006, 01:51 PM
No idea what "bitrot" is though. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot

;)

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2006, 02:32 PM
Well it looks like we all got a little edumacation today. :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2006, 06:24 PM
Ahhh ... that's interesting. I thought because you spelled it "bitrot" it was some kind of French word that meant something relating to lag or whatever. :lol:

Maybe my copy of Windows Media Player has bitrot, it doesn't wanna play AVI files properly - well, they crash Windows Explorer now (which then restarts on its own, closing any open folders) if I single click on an AVI file or open them up in WMP (yet opening one up through VLC is fine, but clicking on one and allowing the preview thumbnail to show before I click "add" in Nero also caused a software crash). :confused:

Dawg
07-Nov-2006, 07:48 PM
Ahhh ... that's interesting. I thought because you spelled it "bitrot" it was some kind of French word that meant something relating to lag or whatever. :lol:

Maybe my copy of Windows Media Player has bitrot, it doesn't wanna play AVI files properly - well, they crash Windows Explorer now (which then restarts on its own, closing any open folders) if I single click on an AVI file or open them up in WMP (yet opening one up through VLC is fine, but clicking on one and allowing the preview thumbnail to show before I click "add" in Nero also caused a software crash). :confused:

Or more likely, you either have:

a) Spyware
b) A Virus
c) Conflict w/other software or command

:dead: Dawg

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2006, 08:12 PM
Been on a Googling rampage. Appears to be an Xvid.dll issue that can be caused by a corrupt (i.e. technically "incomplete" AVI file). Have found a whole bunch of info on how I might fix it, will see if the stuff I've found (and what Lou has told me too) will do the magic...