PDA

View Full Version : Associated Press projects Webb as winner in VA.

Purge
09-Nov-2006, 12:52 AM
Just saw it on MSNBC. Life is good.

zombie04
09-Nov-2006, 01:33 AM
what a shame.

coma
09-Nov-2006, 01:41 AM

Yes it is.

Allen is a total schmuck.

That goof was born with a foot in his mouth.

Kaos
09-Nov-2006, 03:39 AM

Sorry, Purge. Life may be good, but it won't be easy. The Republicans had a greater majority in the Senate than the Dems have now, and they weren't that successful in getting the legislation they wanted through. The Democrats are the same boat. They get to chair the committees and such, but when it comes down to a vote, the Republicans can filibuster with impunity if they really think the legislation is bad for the country. Forget about overturning vetoes too.

I do believe the Democrats taking the Senate is a demonstration of how the country is feeling about the current administration. When someone is in power too long they need a good kick in the butt to let them know that it is the people they represent that is the most important, and not their own personal greed. It happened in 1994, and it happened in 2006. Both were good in my opinion.

The House is a different matter entirely. The Democrats have a nice solid lead, and will have a much easier time putting through legislation.

7feet
09-Nov-2006, 08:28 AM
Filibuster? Whats that?

That proposed rule change will hang over the heads of every senate until the end of this country. I always kinda thought it was basic. Didn't know it was only a "rule" of the senate, that could be stricken from the record at the majorities whim. I always looked at the filibuster as the absolute last place to to make the executive back the hell up, and maybe consider a bit. It's just a tool in the mechanics of government, but certainly one that's been used to good effect sometimes.

As a voter, I can only hope that these schmucks do a decent job.

and they weren't that successful in getting the legislation they wanted through

Really? A few things that most everyone (except them -clarification--them being politicians in general) clearly hated got shot down. But damn few. Damn few. And a bunch I think are unconstitutional from the git got through. Go figure.