View Full Version : ATI Radeon 9600...

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2006, 09:42 PM
...okay, yes I know, my graphics card isn't exactly up-to-date, but my current mofo-board won't allow a further upgrade, can't handle it/support it ... and being the struggling, aspiring filmmaker that I am, I've got fudge all cash, lol.

Anyway, downloaded the Splinter Cell Double Agent PC demo today (bear with me, this is a GD post :p) and it wouldn't play (got the menu though ... once) because of a Shader problem - it requires Shader 3.0 (or whatever it's called) and I've only got Shader 2.0...

Now, this is where people who know ATI cards come in handy - should I download the latest drivers, even though they only seem to bother mentioning the X series cards and not the 9000 series cards? Will the drivers work on my card, is my card even capable of Shaders 3.0?

Hopefully Ubisoft make the game support more cards (they're were rather f*cking stingy with which ATI cards they supported! Especially when they have "standard" and "next gen" in the graphics options (the game also seemed to like my entire rig, except me not having Shaders 3.0)...

*sigh*

Any ATI know-it-alls here? :)

DjfunkmasterG
10-Nov-2006, 09:51 PM
Get an NVIDIA :lol: :moon: ATI... hmmmm I thought they went out of business.

LoSTBoY
10-Nov-2006, 09:57 PM
Aye, MZ. Go ahead and download the latest drivers. I have a 9600 myself and picked up the drivers from here:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

DJ: ATI has been merged with AMD, creating an all powerful company that trumps your Nividia pish! :p

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2006, 10:14 PM
lol Lostboy...

Dj - man, I would change, but alas ... a tumble-weed style amount of money resides in my coffers.

Lostboy - do these new drivers support Shader 3.0? I'm starting to think I might actually be able to play Double Agent, the game appears to want to play but it's the damn shaders...

Muahahaha...ATI/AMD, a monster among computery type people/places/things...kudos for the link.

LoSTBoY
10-Nov-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think it does.

Looking at the minimum requirements, it shows these as the supported cards:

* ATIŽ X1600/X1800/X1900
* NVidiaŽ 6600 /6800/7300/7600/7800/7900

All well above a 9600 card.

There might be a patch or something that will allow you to play it without shaders but I doubt they will bother; and if they do its months in the future.

MikePizzoff
10-Nov-2006, 10:54 PM
I believe this belongs in the gaming forums. NOW MERIT ME AS A HPotD MOD! :cool:

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2006, 10:59 PM
Friggin' Ubisoft. That's an incredibly stingy range of ATI cards to support, the 9600 isn't that old. I really hope they do patch or update or whatever to allow a greater range of cards...I wonder why they were so stingy, 3 ATIs versus 6 NVidia's ... grrr.

lol, not quite, like I said it was close, but not quite, more intended to be talk about the graphics card instead ... damn fine line though...

Congrats on the 777th post though, cool. :)

I'll download the latest drivers ... you're probably right Lostboy, they'll likely not work *sigh* ... all that downloading of an 850mb file for fudge all ... dangit.

Maybe I will move it ... but then again my intended 30 minutes on the forum has ended up at 3 hours. :eek: Okay, lol, I moved it ... heck, I even go off-topic in my own threads, teehee. :)

CoinReturn
10-Nov-2006, 11:42 PM
9600 won't work with a game that requires Shader 3.0. I have an X800 Pro, 256 MB, and I can't even play it.

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2006, 11:18 AM
Damn that is lame, only three ATI cards, all X1--- series cards ... that is friggin' lame and rather strange to be so in-compatible. A good game should be open to a whole range of cards, like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were/are. I thought FarCry was fussy when it came to cards, but this ... damn.

Hopefully they pull their heads out of their asses and open it up to Shader 2.0 cards! :eek:

Tricky
11-Nov-2006, 01:36 PM
Aye im currently using an ATI radeon 9600XT 256mb card,and its not liking many new games :( it was a beast a year & a half ago!

MikePizzoff
11-Nov-2006, 04:20 PM
Aye im currently using an ATI radeon 9600XT 256mb card,and its not liking many new games :( it was a beast a year & a half ago!

Come on, everyone knows that any card over six months old is pretty much going to be outdated for some games.

They're bastards. That's why I (for the most part) stick to console gaming.

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2006, 05:58 PM
*sigh* Indeed...

Installed the new drivers, no luck in getting SCDA going, those bastards had better get it patched to work with lower end cards, I've seen some grumblings from fans online about the lack of support for Shader 2.0 cards - which is indeed, a rather retarded move, especially that on the options menu you can select either "standard gen" or "next gen" - *ahem* standard gen, aka PS2 style, is definately Shader 2.0 fare - where's my damned support?! Damn you, Ubisoft!!! :eek:

The Splinter Cell games stomp ass, and man I was looking forward to this one ... but damn them bastards! :mad:

Tricky
12-Nov-2006, 03:08 PM
I bought medieval 2 yesterday,11 gig of hard drive space the beast takes up!took an age to install it!it runs alright on medium settings which is all my PC can cope with,stamping my foot & wanting it to look like the screenshots ive seen :lol:
Brilliant game though,i couldnt drag myself off it last night!