PDA

View Full Version : The most iconic Dead movies...

The Alive Man
13-Nov-2006, 08:13 PM
... in your view.

Not your favourite ones, or the best. Just the most popular among the "casual viewers".

Mine:

1- Romero's 4 movies (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: )
2- Return of the Living Dead
3- Re-Animator
4- Shaun of the Dead
5- Dawn of the Dead 2004
6- Braindead (is this popular, after people discovered Jackson?)
7- 28 Days later (:mad: Not a ZOMBIE MOVIE)
8- Evil Dead (:mad: Not a ZOMBIE MOVIE)
9- Michael Jackson's Thriller (ehm).

Did I left out something?

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2006, 08:27 PM
I would submit that most "living dead" related pieces of entertainment are not popular at all among the "casual viewer". The only two that I think the "casual viewer" even has a recollection of after the initial viewing is the "Thiller" video, seeing as Michael Jackson is one of the best-selling artists of all-time, and that video usually comes in at Number One on most lists of "greatest videos ever", and the "Return" series, as the gutteral groan of "braaaaiiinnnns" is easier to remember for the masses than subtle commentary about consumerism in America.

Dawn 2004 might come in third (last) on my list, but only in the short term, seeing as it is still relatively new, and still shows up in HBO rotation. In a few more years, the "casual viewer" will forget about it too.

The Alive Man
13-Nov-2006, 08:34 PM
Philly,

You're right, of course, even if I doubt that RETURN had such impact.

Maybe I would re-pose the question:

The most popular ones among the "casual horror buffs"?

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2006, 08:50 PM
Philly,

You're right, of course,

Of course. Good to see that you are catching on quick around here! :cool:

The Alive Man
13-Nov-2006, 08:53 PM
Philly,

You're da man! Eheheheheh LOL! :D

Maitreya
13-Nov-2006, 09:16 PM
Philly,

You're right, of course, even if I doubt that RETURN had such impact.

I don't know if you could say that all the time. Philly has a lot of good points but he also has a few questionable views...

*cough*Day/Land*cough*:sneaky:

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't know if you could say that all the time. Philly has a lot of good points but he also has a few questionable views...

*cough*Day/Land*cough*:sneaky:

A few? That's only one......

The whole thing about that discussion that I found most interesting was this......many (most) people diagreed with my overall main point, but were not responding to my specific posts supporting that point. I was making some excellent arguments supporting my position, but most people were not responding to those arguments, they were simply saying that my overall point was wrong. Even if I was wrong in my overall point (which I admitted that I could be several times), that doesnt mean that all of my supporting points were wrong, they werent. But most people ignored what I was saying, choosing instead to disagree with my main point, and using "beating dead horses" metaphors.

The Alive Man
13-Nov-2006, 10:22 PM
Philly, don't go off-topic... let's wait for more feedback! :)

NHT Dead
14-Nov-2006, 01:20 AM
Most people would probably know "Night" and less would know "Dawn". I doubt 1 in 10 would know "Day" even existed.

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 06:30 AM
Most people would probably know "Night" and less would know "Dawn". I doubt 1 in 10 would know "Day" even existed.

I wouldn't be so quick there bro. A lot of the random people I've bored on the subject of the Dead series over the years seem to know Day over the other three.

Something like: "Day Of The Dead? I think I saw that. Isn't that the one where that dude gets pulled apart at the end?" :D

Philly_SWAT
14-Nov-2006, 09:49 AM
I still say that the average casual movie viewer would only know "braaaaainnnns" in relation to living dead movies. The original Return of the Living Dead came out in the theaters at about the same time as Day did, and "Return" killed (no pun intended) Day in box office. They play the return movies on HBO, Cinemax, etc, every once in a while, they never play Day of the Dead.

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 11:21 AM
... but DAY OF THE DEAD is regarded as a cult classic even more than RETURN. Then, it seems to me that DAY is far more popular worldwide, while RETURN isn't (IMHO). If you come here in Italy, people know DAY or at least have some tainted reminiscences about it ("Il Giorno degli Zombie"). I heavily doubt that the same could happen with RETURN, which is just a "movie-goers affair".

Philly_SWAT
14-Nov-2006, 01:53 PM
... but DAY OF THE DEAD is regarded as a cult classic even more than RETURN. Then, it seems to me that DAY is far more popular worldwide, while RETURN isn't (IMHO). If you come here in Italy, people know DAY or at least have some tainted reminiscences about it ("Il Giorno degli Zombie"). I heavily doubt that the same could happen with RETURN, which is just a "movie-goers affair".
I thought that your original question was about the "casual" movie viewer, not a hardcore fan. Yes, Day is regarded as a cult classic, by the hardcore fans. The casual viewer doesnt give a rats ass about it. You say Day is a cult classic even more than Return, I dont even think Return is a cult classic. The main reason that the hardcore fan even cares about that is because it is a zombie movie, and Russo (with a direxct lineage to Romero) had a hand in it, so it is noteworthy, but of course the hardcore fan thinks Day is superior. But the casual fan cares very little about either one. Just like the difference between the serious student of national politics, and the casual TV viewer. The hardcore politico knows the issues, and each candiadates views on it, and what they have said about it in the past. The casual TV viewer hears the most current soundbite, and that is all they remember, which is why politicians try to churn out soundbites more often that going into great detail about their views. The casual movie viewer remember the "soundbite" of Return "braaaaains". The hardcore fan realizes that Romero's movies are better in general for many different reasons.

HLS
14-Nov-2006, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't be so quick there bro. A lot of the random people I've bored on the subject of the Dead series over the years seem to know Day over the other three.

Something like: "Day Of The Dead? I think I saw that. Isn't that the one where that dude gets pulled apart at the end?" :D

When I was younger I was only familiar with Dawn. I could not even remember the name of the other two till a few years ago.

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 07:06 PM
Of course, 'ZOMBI' was a tremendous hit here in Italy.

Philly_SWAT
15-Nov-2006, 09:51 AM
Of course, 'ZOMBIE' was a tremendous hit here in Italy.

I'm sure it was. Probably on a double bill with Cannibal Ferox.

The Alive Man
15-Nov-2006, 11:23 AM
No double bill. It's not in the italian chords, such cheap operations:D

And what's wrong with LUCIO FULCI's 'ZOMBIE'? :D Surely the make-up work was far better than the most of the crappy rip-offs like... all the second hand titles you americans use to watch ('DAY OF THE DEAD 2') :D LOL!

Now, let's get it straight:

I didn't previously watch the ORIGINAL version of DAWN because it was anywhere available here in Italy. So, please, stop to bash me for this.
They released the box-set one year ago, and I had no money to purchase it.
I'll do soon.

Ok? ;)

Philly_SWAT
15-Nov-2006, 03:44 PM
And what's wrong with LUCIO FULCI's 'ZOMBIE'? :D Surely the make-up work was far better than the most of the crappy rip-offs like... all the second hand titles you americans use to watch ('DAY OF THE DEAD 2') :D LOL! First of all, Americans dont want to watch crap like Day of the Dead 2. Second of all, nothing is wrong with Fulci's Zombie. It is my favorite non-Romero zombie movie.

I didn't previously watch the ORIGINAL version of DAWN because it was anywhere available here in Italy. So, please, stop to bash me for this.
They released the box-set one year ago, and I had no money to purchase it.

If you had a penny for every post, you could have bought it yesterday!:lol:

The Alive Man
15-Nov-2006, 06:19 PM
Philly :lol: Sometimes, you're da man! :cool:

Adolf Kitler
15-Nov-2006, 08:10 PM
Of course, 'ZOMBI' was a tremendous hit here in Italy.
In no small part to the italian prog rock gods Goblin. I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the soundtrack for Dawn. Perfection.

coma
15-Nov-2006, 08:21 PM
And what's wrong with LUCIO FULCI's 'ZOMBIE'? :D Surely the make-up work was far better than the most of the crappy rip-offs like... all the second hand titles you americans use to watch ('DAY OF THE DEAD 2') :D LOL!

ha Ha! God we Americans are all so cheesy and stupid and unsophisticated.
:eek:

The Alive Man
15-Nov-2006, 09:05 PM
Coma,

I wasn't saying that. The american culture is my life, when "done" properly.

capncnut
16-Nov-2006, 07:34 AM
Second of all, nothing is wrong with Fulci's Zombie. It is my favorite non-Romero zombie movie.

You know what Philly? I agree. Fulci's Zombi 2 (or Zombie Flesh Eaters as I now it) is a fine movie. The hospital sequence at the end is fantastic and it's totally amazing to see the legendary Richard Johnson up to his neck in exploding heads and burning zombies. My only gripe is that Al Cliver's voice-over translation sucked big time.

Damn, now I can't get the theme tune out of my head! :lol:

The Alive Man
18-Nov-2006, 02:19 PM
I've just re-watched '28 DAYS LATER' yesterday. I found it an excellent movie, it gave me an even stronger "feeling" that the first time I rent it. I'm glad that they are 'Infected' and not ordinary 'Living Dead', because it gives the movie a good touch of "unsolved" mystery (at this point, we know everything about Zombies and are pretty accustomed to them, kinda of...).

I liked the movie, and discovered a lot of "ROMERO traces" stamped all over it.

capncnut
18-Nov-2006, 09:46 PM
I've just re-watched '28 DAYS LATER' yesterday. I found it an excellent movie, it gave me an even stronger "feeling" that the first time I rent it. I'm glad that they are 'Infected' and not ordinary 'Living Dead', because it gives the movie a good touch of "unsolved" mystery (at this point, we know everything about Zombies and are pretty accustomed to them, kinda of...).

I liked the movie, and discovered a lot of "ROMERO traces" stamped all over it.

28 Days Later is one of my faves too. The overall tone of gloom is phenomenal and I'd pay hundreds to see it at the cinema again. Apparently Romero was not very impressed by it.

rawrOTD
19-Nov-2006, 01:09 AM
i think movies like the crazies, 28 days later , omega man

are zombie movies

its not the undead themselves i like in the movies

its that something so human and helpless has become a massive threat and the survivors must live amoung it

its a post apocalyptic world in which the majority of the population wasnt wiped out
but instead wants to eat you
and they will
unless youre careful

its so simple to hide and run from zombies

yet most people fall into human error and infighting
its the human survival that intrigues me

the attacking monsters could be like
lady bugs
and id be interested

but i think semi-human threats are much more endearing

i think return of hte living dead earns the title of most iconic, that and night of the living dead

everyone knows the dead move slow cos of night
and if you ask people on the street to act like zombies
75% will stumble around moaning brains

most popular?
28 days later
dawn 04
shaun of the dead
Night of the Living Dead
Army of Darkness

i think dawn 78 best represents the genre though
every time i watch a new zombie movie i pray that its that good

Minerva_Zombi
19-Nov-2006, 03:03 AM
Iconic...

1. Romero's obviously.
2. Return of the Living Dead (Most everyone assosiates zombies with eating brains because of this movie. And this was the first movie to involve running zombies)
3. Michael Jackson's Thriller Video
4. Evil Dead 2 (Some consider this to be one of the best movies ever made)...No joke.
5. Lucio Fulci's Zombie

Fulcifan91
21-Nov-2006, 08:53 PM
I think the main zombie in Zombi 2 is more iconic than the movie itself.

darth los
21-Nov-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm glad that they are 'Infected' and not ordinary 'Living Dead', because it gives the movie a good touch of "unsolved" mystery (at this point, we know everything about Zombies

Really? So that means you would know what the cause of the plauge was in the romero films. Please enlighten me, as I am still in the dark about that one. :confused: