PDA

View Full Version : Is the saga preserved forever?

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 12:41 AM
Okay,

I'm very little informed about this kind of stuff, so I'm asking you some clarifications. It's important (at least to me).

Did Romero lost the rights of DAWN and DAY too? And if it's so (what a disappointment), who really owns all the first three movies? Russo?

I'm wondering this because I'm truly obsessed with movie preservation. I'm wondering if the "owners" of the first THREE Dead Movies are preserving them in the "proper" way, storing the tapes in a safe place.

Are the DVD releases good in the video/audio transfer department, even? Yes, DVDs can rot, but it's good to know that the movies were digitalized and put into a "database", far from the aging process.

What are the owners doing to preserve Romero's work, definitely?

Hope someone knows something about it...

Caractacus
14-Nov-2006, 12:55 AM
No one owns the first film, it's public domain. However, it has been entered into the National Film Registry, the arm of the Library of Congress that works to preserve classic works of American film. I'm not sure exactly what they do in the ways of physical preservation, but I'd imagine that it involves having an original print of the film.

As for the series in general, I really doubt that you'd have to worry about ANY modern films being lost to time. Pretty much every film put on DVD these days has a better chance of being viewed by future generations then those that had to sit around in film cannisters for decades.

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 12:57 AM
Right, very right.

What's about the DVD releases of the first three movies? Are they any good? I own an Italian Dvd release of DAY, and it's not that bad in terms of quality. I'm going to purchase the box-set containing the three versions of DAWN, hoping the digital treatment it received was at least decent...

Anyway, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Divimax-Special-Terry-Alexander/dp/B00008G8L9

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 06:19 AM
I'm going to purchase the box-set containing the three versions of DAWN, hoping the digital treatment it received was at least decent...

I own all three versions on separate discs and I'm guessing they were all lifted from the four disc 'Ultimate Edition' as they have similar features. As much as I'm happy with the quality of them, I still feel they lack that real digital sheen that we've come to expect from movies nowdays. Maybe I'm too fussy. :D

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 09:20 AM
Spaulding,

You've depressed me. So the video transfer of DAWN sucks! You're not saying it that way, but you're meaning it. I'm disillusional.

But do you really need that sheer? After all, it's a 1978 movie, and it's good to see that the picture still retains that "old-fashioned" photography, even if digitally restored.

But has DAWN been digitally restored, anyway?

Philly_SWAT
14-Nov-2006, 09:26 AM
Spaulding,

You've depressed me. So the video transfer of DAWN sucks! You're not saying it that way, but you're meaning it. I'm disillusional.

But do you really need that sheer? After all, it's a 1978 movie, and it's good to see that the picture still retains that "old-fashioned" photography, even if digitally restored.

I dont think that the video transfer of Dawn sucks. The Ultimate edition is probably better than any of the older ones, and certainly better than an old VHS copy. As far as the "sheen" of new movies goes, I dont even want that. Part of the appeal to me of horror movies made it that era are that they dont have that sheen. Imagine if the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was filmed exactly the same way, but on hi-def super-8. It would have far less impact. The cheap quality of special effects would show up even more. Also, it would lose a kind of "documentary feel" that it has due to the lack of sheen.

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 11:23 AM
Any other feedback about the DAWN transfer?

Here we go:

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Ultimate/dp/B0002IQNAG

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Divimax-David-Emge/dp/B0001611DI

Very bad news:

"According to the George A. Romero commentary track on the Elite laserdisc and DVD version of the film, the original working print and working elements and materials for the film no longer exist - they were destroyed as a result of a flood that filled the basement where the materials were stored (which was the same basement used in the movie)."

Anyway, the movie was preserved on digital.

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 08:14 PM
I dont think that the video transfer of Dawn sucks. The Ultimate edition is probably better than any of the older ones, and certainly better than an old VHS copy. As far as the "sheen" of new movies goes, I dont even want that. Part of the appeal to me of horror movies made it that era are that they dont have that sheen. Imagine if the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was filmed exactly the same way, but on hi-def super-8. It would have far less impact. The cheap quality of special effects would show up even more. Also, it would lose a kind of "documentary feel" that it has due to the lack of sheen.

Ah Philly, you're a purist. I feel the same way when it comes to the old 60's era Dr Who episodes. I love those crackles and hairs!

Seriously though, I would love it if Dawn was to get a real upgrade in picture quality. I love the movie as it is but I don't think it would do any harm to re-record some of those unrealistic gunshot sounds and give it a thorough THX remix.

DVW5150
14-Nov-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes , the 4 disc dvd rocks . I like to watch my dvds on my pc , which for some reason finds everything thats on each disc. Ex: I have a dvd of "Black Hawk Down" , click on start feature , and it shows dailies for about 10 min , with the edit code at the bottom of the screen and everything . If you play it on a dvd player , it just starts the movie .Shots from the int. of a humvee w/ Tom Sizemore joking around .I digress , I love to watch the "Dawn Ultimate 4 disc" on my pc , it seems to have that genuine 'film feel' . I agree w/ PhillySwat , the transfer is 'film' .. Get it , you wont be disapointed !:skull:

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 09:59 PM
??????????????????

CRACKLES and HAIRS? IN DAWN?:dead:

?????????????????

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/dawn-of-the-dead-ultimate-edition.html

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12910

According to many reviewers, the viedo transfer is excellent, and surely the picture quality was enhanced! Spaulding, you're messing with my poor sick mind!

rawrOTD
14-Nov-2006, 10:59 PM
??????????????????

CRACKLES and HAIRS? IN DAWN?:dead:

?????????????????

According to many reviewers, the viedo transfer is excellent, and surely the picture quality was enhanced! Spaulding, you're messing with my poor sick mind!

me thinks he was referring to dr.who

anyway...have you ever seen the original dawn?
If you have in any format
youd be all
"i accept this film as the bestest zombie film ever to stumble onto earth"
even if the picture is crap on your copy
you'll be blown away
crap man if all you get is the audio of that movie you'll be impressed

but if you want the best of the best of the best
and you cant get will smith
then you need to stop messing around with poor excuses for actors/ musicians

and for god sakes quit being OCD about the picture
buy the dawn of the dead super duper box set of freaky death stomp brought you by anchor bay! : now with a GAR action figure complete with karate chop action!*GAR action figure does not come with cigarette accesories

**GAR action figure is also not real, I Made it up
but if it was real
i know alot of people who'd have them
seriously
they should make one
one of savani too

savani would have !real missle firing action!
and would come with a moustache comb, a gallon of fake blood, and a machete :p

anyway
buy the movie
watch it
i promise the picture is quality:D

The Alive Man
14-Nov-2006, 11:02 PM
Raw,

What's the best DAWN in your humble opinion? Theatrical or Expanded?

rawrOTD
16-Nov-2006, 12:47 AM
i have never seen the argento or expanded cut
but im scrounging up money to buy the ultimate set

id just buy them all man

capncnut
16-Nov-2006, 07:56 AM
Raw,

What's the best DAWN in your humble opinion? Theatrical or Expanded?

If you want an opinion from somebody (like myself) who first saw Dawn in 1981 and has worshipped it ever since, then it's the theatrical cut all the way! No question about it.

The Alive Man
18-Nov-2006, 02:15 PM
Okay... the theatrical cut all the way! :skull:

Danny
18-Nov-2006, 02:27 PM

damn straight man thats why i like asian cinema ,particularly horror as well ,especially compard to the sleek adn shiny remakes, i think that little bit of grain makes it seem more home movie-ish and a little more scary, though to be honest im very desensitised to horror the only things that creeped me out in the last ten years has probably been the masters of horror imprint ep, though that was squirming more than scared and the grudge origional was scary for me, but i think it wouldnt have worked as well if it was sleek and shiny.

...hang on (comes back after checking out the remake), no , no it isnt as scary:D