View Full Version : Wikipedia's article about Dawn of the Dead (70s version)

Geophyrd
14-Nov-2006, 05:48 PM
I was cruising Wikipedia today and read the article about DoTD. Pretty intriguing stuff...lots of things I didn't know! The link to the page is at the bottom but amond the more interesting elements:

Originally, the film was going to be Peter and Fran living like cavepeople in the mall ducts, watching as paramilitary troopers fed live meat to the zombies within.

The Pagans did most of their parts completely improvised, in particular the pie fight.

George had a whole other movie in mind for his sequel to NOTLD, but changed his mind when he went on a tour of Monroeville Mall. When he saw the civil defense storage room (featured in the movie) and the blank stares on the shoppers' faces, he had his movie in mind.

Savini did a lot of the bullet hits using a fishing line tied to a button that was buried in dermawax.

A bunch of the zombie actors would get drunk at the Brown Derby bar before filming just to be able to get into 'role.'

One pregnant lady proposed having the zombies rip her open and her fetus falling out. Romero and Savini thought it was too gross to use.

DoTD, according to Wiki, would become an unqualified success, eventually becoming one of the most financially and commercially successful independent films of all time...although they do say a citation is needed.[

In the Japanese version, almost all violence was excised, with the film freezing right when the violence started and left sound running. That version also attributed the zombies to a meteor exploding in the atmosphere releasing radiation.

The script for DoTD was 253 pages. The newsroom sequence was 19 pages alone. Here's a link to the script. (http://www.horrorlair.com/scripts/dawnofthedead.txt)

The head that is blown off during the SWAT sequence was originally supposed to be Fran's head during her suicide sequence. They used it later when George decided to let them go.

Many of the zombies were actually amputees.

Here's the link to the article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_the_Dead)

tkane18
14-Nov-2006, 06:06 PM
Many of the zombies were actually amputees.

I don't recall too many zombies with missing limbs.
Oh well, now I have another excuse to watch it again.

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 06:40 PM
"something new every day", huh?:D

MikePizzoff
14-Nov-2006, 06:45 PM
Cool, thanks a lot Geophyrd! I knew a bunch of that stuff but what I didn't know was pretty cool.

Bubdotd
14-Nov-2006, 06:57 PM
Nice man, like 80% of that i already knew (lol yeah i know)
im obsessed. :rolleyes:

Geophyrd
14-Nov-2006, 07:00 PM
go read the wiki article. I just got tired of transcribing.

lol

axlish
14-Nov-2006, 07:42 PM

One guy gets his arm ripped off under the truck tires. *Amputee* There are a few others splashed around Dawn.

Adolf Kitler
14-Nov-2006, 07:49 PM
Looks like whoever wrote that wiki entry had a copy of "The Zombies That Ate Pittsburg" handy.

scotty Boy
14-Nov-2006, 08:32 PM
The Pagans did most of their parts completely improvised, in particular the pie fight.

Here's the link to the article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_the_Dead)

Is this true? because on Documentary of the dead they showed this being filmed and it lokoed like it was planned all along??

maybe i am wrong tho and if so sorry, but surly the enthusiam is worth brownie points :D

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 09:29 PM

There's a few. You got the zombie with his foot missing in the Project 107 scene, another one who rips his arm out from under the truck and there's one or two armless zombies here and there strolling through the mall in a few scenes. If my memory serves me correctly, doesn't one get 'squibbed' during the biker raid?

A bunch of the zombie actors would get drunk at the Brown Derby bar before filming just to be able to get into 'role.'

One of which stole a golf cart and ploughed it into a marble pillar! :lol:

Neil
14-Nov-2006, 09:39 PM
Oi! What's wrong with THIS version of the script http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/dawn/script/dawnofthedead.txt

The one you linked to is from here, but messed up...

Took me f***ing ages to hand type that script in!!

coma
14-Nov-2006, 10:31 PM
Thats crazy but very impressive
So let me say thanks Neil!
:)

Wantaghzombie
15-Nov-2006, 02:40 AM
Man, nice script. Long enough to be a website by itself.:clown: :skull:

Philly_SWAT
15-Nov-2006, 09:52 AM
Oi! What's wrong with THIS version of the script http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/dawn/script/dawnofthedead.txt

The one you linked to is from here, but messed up...

Wow, I had no idea you hand typed that script in Neil. You are always looking out for us deadheads!

The Alive Man
15-Nov-2006, 11:31 AM
Don't understimate people, Philly. Even if we're not 'Homo Superior' like you, we try to do the best we can.