PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of the Dead in Romero's saga.

The Alive Man
16-Nov-2006, 09:53 AM
... just to make a powerful statement for those who are still puzzled about it. Feel free to contradict me whatever I'm wrong, I would be glad to be informed if my suggestions are far from "the truth" (if there's one).

1- NIGHT - the Living Dead are repulsed by light (photosensibility) and fire (thermosensibility) for some unknown reason (maybe these elements are way connected to the 'cause').
They also use to "grab" objects without deeply understanding their real functions, but somehow - while driven by a strong "rush" of instinct - they can pull off some tricks with them, even if extremely elementary.
It is unknown if, at this stadium, the cellular decayment has slowed down.

2- DAWN - sensibilities are dropped in favour of a more physical endurance. They still grab objects, but mainly moved by disorientation or confusion, not capable of realizing the "functional design" behind them.
I don't think they show any sign of intelligence at this point. The "Zombie posing as a mannequin" could be just prey of his spontaneous "dead-like" stadium, after all.

3- DAY - it has been scientifically certified that their rotting has slowed down, and now the Living Dead has become twice stronger (high molecular density of the "intact" parts, related to the 'cause' which is re-animating them in the first place).
Emulation capacity appears heavily enhanced (READ: not *LEARNING*, but emulation/simulation), as suggested by 'Bub'.

4- LAND - the Living Dead are now interested by some "functional reminiscences" of their former human lives, simulating "jobs" or movements they used to perform when were still alive beings.
Individual intelligence is slowly developing, even if channeled into a sort of structural net whom interconnects all the Dead brains; a pivotal element (Big Daddy) works as catalyst and "behaviour model".
They are stronger than humans, as estabilished by DAY, and their rotting process has heavily slowed down, at this point.
'Dead Cholo' shows a clear augment in the individual intelligence department, suggesting an ever-increasing fading barrier between the two species. His emulation capacities are outstanding.

Besides, the process of "transition" has speeded-up, dropping the "fever phase" that people like the child in NIGHT and Roger in DAWN clearly experienced.

-- -------------------------->

DeadCentral
16-Nov-2006, 10:03 AM
Far too much free time on your hands man .....

The Alive Man
16-Nov-2006, 10:13 AM

Maybe. Life is too good.

Philly_SWAT
16-Nov-2006, 10:43 AM
I was wondering....are you typing in English, or are yo utyping in Italian with some program converting your Italian to English? Just curious.....

I am unclear as to whether you are talking about the "pretend GAR universe" what the changes in the zombies form movie to movie are, or in the "real universe" of movie making what the changes in zombies from one movie to the next are.

In either case, many of your questions/observations can be explained thusly.... GAR did not spend anywhere near as much time as we do thinking about the minute details of things in his movies. He just had a general idea of what he wanted to do, and tried to be as true to the "rules" as he could. He had to wrap filming as quickly as possible to save money, which explains some of the "bloopers" in his movies, he could only cut oout so much during the editing process. Nowadays, big budget movies would do a bunch of re-shoots, GAR didnt have that luxery.

1. NIGHT - As I have mentioned to you before "They're us", thats all. They are afraid of fire because we are afraid of fire. Not to say you are scared at the family Bar-B-Q, but if a stranger was waving a lit torch in your face, chance are pretty good you would back away. As far as the photo "sensitivity" you mention, I say that is due to real world movie techniques. Bill Hinzman and other zombie actors exxagerated things they were doing. It wouldnt make sense that zombies would be afraid of light, we see many zombies, including before and after the night scenes in Night walking around in the daylight, so obviously light doesnt bother them.

DAWN - Again, the zombies "use of tools, using items as a bludgeon for instance, these are a remembered thing from life. It is important to remember that even animals can use tools in this manner." The "Zombie posing as a mannequin" again it more of a movie making technique/problem that a "rule" in the GAR universe. There would be no drama if that zombie was standing in the middle of the aisle for all to see, and they shoot him before anything happens, therefore he does what we see. Not to be taken as a "GAR Zombie Rule" that they can immitate manequins, but just somthing they did for that scene only. That zombie was played by John Harrison, composer of the Day soundtrack, and directer of the "Tales from the Darkside" movie. It was thrown in after they discovered that they had filmed scenes of Roger without the jacket tied around his waste, and needed a scene to show why he no longer had the jacket in leter scenes, so they made the screwdriver scen up on the fly, it was not pre-planned.

WHEW, tired of typing, I'll talk about Land and Day at anther time. But I guess like DeaD Central says ....
applies to me too sometimes!

The Alive Man
16-Nov-2006, 12:00 PM
I was wondering....are you typing in English, or are yo utyping in Italian with some program converting your Italian to English? Just curious.....

Are you saying that my english sucks? Are you sure? In all regards, I have met many americans in the net (actually, tons of them) that could hardly type their name in the right way. Too many.

I am unclear as to whether you are talking about the "pretend GAR universe" what the changes in the zombies form movie to movie are, or in the "real universe" of movie making what the changes in zombies from one movie to the next are.

Of course, I'm talking about the GAR universe. Reality doesn't bother me so much :D

I agree with all your points, however.

coma
16-Nov-2006, 03:11 PM
Are you saying that my english sucks? Are you sure? In all regards, I have met many americans in the net (actually, tons of them) that could hardly type their name in the right way. Too many.

He was referring to the unusual syntax and esoteric choice of vocabulary that can indicate a translation program.
I thought it was neutral and didn't imply anything.
:rolleyes:

radiokill
16-Nov-2006, 03:29 PM

don't you run one, if not all three, of those websites in your sig? :lol:

Philly_SWAT
16-Nov-2006, 03:40 PM
He was referring to the unusual syntax and esoteric choice of vocabulary that can indicate a translation program.
I thought it was neutral and didn't imply anything.
:rolleyes:

I was wondering....are you typing in English Major English, or are you typing in regular English with some program converting your regular English to "smart-guy"English Major English? Just curious.....:sneaky:

DEAD BEAT
16-Nov-2006, 03:50 PM
tell it philly!:D

The Alive Man
16-Nov-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking and typing in "smart-guy"/major english, almost simultaneously... without the help of any friggin' program... despite it's not my mother language. I learnt after many years (too many) of surfing in the net, having soooo much time in my (poor) hands.

Peace and Love, Philly! :lol:

dmbfanintn
17-Nov-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm thinking and typing in "smart-guy"/major english, almost simultaneously... without the help of any friggin' program... despite it's not my mother language. I learnt after many years (too many) of surfing in the net, having soooo much time in my (poor) hands.

Peace and Love, Philly! :lol:

Anytime someone, with English as a second language, uses the word "friggin'", then he's doin pretty damn good, I think!

I work for a German company and have been around German for almost 10 years now and still can't speak a lick of German.

Kudos to you Alive Man for your excellent grasp of our ridiculous language!

The Alive Man
17-Nov-2006, 08:29 PM
dmb,

I had no problems to absorb your ridiculous language because I'm ridiculous myself! :lol:

Many thanks, I feel so loved now. ;) I'm not used to it. Guess why? ;)

Good luck with your german!

EvilNed
17-Nov-2006, 11:00 PM
1. NIGHT - As I have mentioned to you before "They're us", thats all. They are afraid of fire because we are afraid of fire.

But they aren't scared of guns, yet we are? Hmmm I don't think that part can actually be explained. In Night, Fire was clearly one of their weaknesses.

DeadCentral
17-Nov-2006, 11:11 PM
don't you run one, if not all three, of those websites in your sig? :lol:

I certainly do,all 3 and a another one that'll launch in a week or two for another celeb....:elol:
I was just joking with the guy...his enthusiasm is almost bordering on obsession...lol
Hey... he has fun and is enjoying himself ...what's the harm...wish I had the time that he has, to query the ideas he's mentioned so far.....

The Alive Man
18-Nov-2006, 12:16 PM
Pyrophobia.

So zombies in GAR universe rebuff fire. Give me a break, why didn't they fear guns, knives and other weapons too? The fire has something to do with the "source" of their phenomenon.

Skip DAY (they were packed in a miserable bunker), but why in DAWN and LAND didn't the survivors explicitly use fire as repellent? Maybe because they feared to lose control on the situation (fire can't be "dominated" as weapon). Right?

coma
18-Nov-2006, 05:14 PM
You may say PHOTOPHOBIA, a medical eye condition that makes light painful, because they cover their eyes from the fire and flare light. But they would hide out in the day, like in I Am Legend. Which is probaby where GAR took that from.

rawrOTD
19-Nov-2006, 01:31 AM
i liked to think that the zombies are not advancing as a huge unit
but certain ones are others not
and none go the same speed
its zombie puberty

theres guys that remember the past and wander around things they recognize (dawn)

ones that remember objects and abstract purpose (big daddy does his "job", bub and the gun)

thers zombies that have started to learn to communicate
ones that have advanced to primate tool use ( the first zombie in night uses a rock on the car window)

guys that just stand around all day unless you walk by

zombies that follow other zombies in a huge swarm
ones that wander following whatever

zombies that seem curious
(dawn gun guy, man in fountain looking at coins)

and then theres the zombies that seem to hear one noise , see one living person
and then pound on the house windows for all eternity

so...

learners
pastlifers
lurkers
sheep
wanderers

its just adult sized infants
who want to eat you
you see the exact same behavior in babies as they develope mentally

The Alive Man
19-Nov-2006, 10:59 AM
learners
pastlifers
lurkers
sheep
wanderers

Genius! I have to refine your concept... because it sounds so good to my teeth...:cool: