PDA

View Full Version : Heard it all before, STFU !!

Chakobsa
18-Nov-2006, 02:23 AM
Once again poiticians look to the easiest targets in order to get their names in the spotlight. If it's not films, "dangerous dogs" or "hoodies" its games;
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=25598&in_page_id=34
So some political lame arse wants to make a name for himself, what does he do? looks around for a subject that the "Daily Mail" readers of the world can get behind, namely; games. They're soooo wicked and everyone that plays them turns into sociopathic bastards. yeah, right,:rolleyes: .

The following statements are true:
Hitler never played "Manhunt" nor did he ever own a PS2.:p
Peter Sutcliffe didn't play "Grand Theft Auto" before becoming a claw-hammer wielding angel of the Lord. He didn't own an Xbox either, funnily enough.:moon:
Ghengis Khan never played " Command And Conquer". Non PC owner.:lol:

capncnut
18-Nov-2006, 04:39 AM
As much as I hate censorship in a big way, I'm kinda happy about this. No major response here, just more $ony bashing. :lol:

EvilNed
18-Nov-2006, 01:04 PM
If any game actually gets banned, it's a step in the wrong direction. It would actually be concidered a "victory" for those who want to censor games. If it succeeds, then we can expect more games being banned soon.

MikePizzoff
18-Nov-2006, 09:41 PM
Belongs in GAMES DISCUSSION.

Can I please have my mod badge now, guys? :cool:

Do these politicians not understand that banning this will only boost it's popularity?

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2006, 09:53 PM
:rolleyes:

Don't these guys get tired of going around in circles, EVERY year there is one main case and several small ones. EVERY case ends up coming out in the game's favour. Teach parental responsibility - job done, it's cheaper and it's much more beneficial to society as a whole now and forever.

Banning a game makes it more notorious and more popular - when the mere whiff of a ban on Manhunt in 2004 in the UK was mentioned the sales went through the roof and those shops still stocking it ran out of stock!

(Don't worry about the "expires in" thing on the re-direct title, that just means the re-direct link in GD will expire in a week, the thread remains unaffected. It's just so we don't end up with a bunch of "moved" titles, figured I'd try it out.

Danny
18-Nov-2006, 10:03 PM
ive said it before and ill say it again its total bull**** ,its just the bobodoll thing all over again, theres too many variables in each persons life, since each is unique with its own mental scares and such, that its impossible to accuraty guage the impact of tv, games, books, comics or movies on the minds of people who do or do not commit crimes, it just cannot be done and no matter how you do test it its not an accurate test because there taking part in a test, nothing shy of big brother style cameras in every home could prove it, but that would be illegal......for now.:shifty:

see, and people say you dont learn owt in a media studies a level.:rolleyes:

capncnut
18-Nov-2006, 10:50 PM
Seriously, censorship in games, movies and books SUCK! I remember looking forward to seeing those possessed baby things in Silent Hill and was disappointed when they were removed. Resident Evil 2 was affected by this insanity also.

It worked well for The Getaway though when they removed the British Telecom logo. I read somewhere that some kid was playing it and shot dead a BT engineer in-game, he excitedly rushed downstairs to tell his father (who apparently had some kind of big role in BT) and it was this that got the logo removed.

As for banning a game outright, that is just plain WRONG!

MinionZombie
19-Nov-2006, 11:25 AM
Geez, if that kid got all excited over duffing in a virtual BT engineer, then those parents of his need to do some parenting for a change. :rockbrow: