PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite scene in Dawn?

HLS
19-Nov-2006, 11:07 PM
I was just watching this tonight and i started to cry in the scene where Roger and Peter are talking and Roger said he was going to try not to come back. it is one of the best scenes I think for it moved me so much. So what is your favorite scene?

Chakobsa
19-Nov-2006, 11:34 PM
Two scenes stand out for me; the scene where the priest tells Rodger and Peter about what they will find in the basement of the building is one of chilling,
understated power, "...you are stronger than us, but soon I think they be stronger than you.". Magic.:cool:

Also loved the scene where Peter is keeping watch over Rodger's corpse. Romero builds the tension and pathos of this scene brilliantly, I love the way that Dr. Rausch's (sp?) speech is used to convey the stark reality of the crisis on the macro/national level, "We're down to the line folks..." whilst Peter's grim vigil over his dead friend reaches it's inevitable shattering conclusion. Powerful stuff.

HLS
20-Nov-2006, 12:03 AM
Two scenes stand out for me; the scene where the priest tells Rodger and Peter about what they will find in the basement of the building is one of chilling,
understated power, "...you are stronger than us, but soon I think they be stronger than you.". Magic.:cool:

Also loved the scene where Peter is keeping watch over Rodger's corpse. Romero builds the tension and pathos of this scene brilliantly, I love the way that Dr. Rausch's (sp?) speech is used to convey the stark reality of the crisis on the macro/national level, "We're down to the line folks..." whilst Peter's grim vigil over his dead friend reaches it's inevitable shattering conclusion. Powerful stuff.

The scene i mentioned is part of the scene where Peter was watching over Rodger. That whole sequence was deep and meaningful.

Chakobsa
20-Nov-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah, you're right HLS, that's just my favourite bit.:) . Ok, two questions for you HLS, Favourie bit of gore and favourite action sequence?

Danny
20-Nov-2006, 12:26 AM
i cant reall pick one but the hillbilly montage as they head over the countryside with the sythesizer music was a good one, alos the "shopping" scene i think that was a big slap in the face on the politicl side.

though the preist got som good lines in ill admit.

HLS
20-Nov-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah, you're right HLS, that's just my favourite bit.:) . Ok, two questions for you HLS, Favourie bit of gore and favourite action sequence?

Fav gore was in the basement and they were feeding on body parts. Favoriate action sequence was the whole raid on that very building and the biker sequence.;) :o

i cant reall pick one but the hillbilly montage as they head over the countryside with the sythesizer music was a good one, alos the "shopping" scene i think that was a big slap in the face on the politicl side.

though the preist got som good lines in ill admit.

Ya! that was a good scene also. I am suprised a lot of these actors did not do much as far as acting after Dawn, except for Ken. I was looking them up on IMDB. It looks like Roger was also in dawn 2004 which I did not know.

Khardis
20-Nov-2006, 12:51 AM
the 1st 20 minutes or so of the movie were my absolute fav. Before they got to the mall. I like seeing the world fall apart piece by piece while they are moving around. But the projects buildings where the\ police are clearing out Martinez people and the dead is my absolute favorite.

Adolf Kitler
20-Nov-2006, 12:57 AM
Bamm!!!
"$hi#!"
BAMM!!
"Got 'im!"
BLAMM!!
"Ahhh...missed!"
BLAMM!!

also...the scene wihere the cop is asking our heores for cigarettes, they say no, and a minute later we see our heroes lighting up, as that poor cop is bugging his friends for a cigarette.

HLS
20-Nov-2006, 01:08 AM
Bamm!!!
"$hi#!"
BAMM!!
"Got 'im!"
BLAMM!!
"Ahhh...missed!"
BLAMM!!

also...the scene wihere the cop is asking our heores for cigarettes, they say no, and a minute later we see our heroes lighting up, as that poor cop is bugging his friends for a cigarette.

The part where Roger says "we got it by the ass" (or something like that) when they were picking up the trucks was priceless for his face was all lit up. lol
hell the whole movie is perfection.

Have you ever wondered what happens to Fran and Peter after they take off at the end? I would love to see a movie based on their travels.

creepntom
20-Nov-2006, 01:27 AM
Have you ever wondered what happens to Fran and Peter after they take off at the end? I would love to see a movie based on their travels.

i've always wanted a story that kinda delves into that area, kinda how shadows of the empire was set between empire strikes back & return of the jedi. a story between dawn & day, & have a few of the characters from both cross paths, unintentionally of course ;) :D

you could call it shadows of the dead :lol: :sneaky:

** goes to copyright that title **

HLS
20-Nov-2006, 01:36 AM
i've always wanted a story that kinda delves into that area, kinda how shadows of the empire was set between empire strikes back & return of the jedi. a story between dawn & day, & have a few of the characters from both cross paths, unintentionally of course ;) :D

you could call it shadows of the dead :lol: :sneaky:

** goes to copyright that title **

I know it is just a movie but you get so attached to them. i can not help but ask myself: Did they make it? Is the child alive and if so what did he/she do with his/her life?

creepntom
20-Nov-2006, 01:47 AM
i ask myself that everytime i watch it

got to believe that peter could deliver a baby if he could abort one

HLS
20-Nov-2006, 01:56 AM
i ask myself that everytime i watch it

got to believe that peter could deliver a baby if he could abort one

I suspect he had medical training. I almost forgot that tidbit.

creepntom
20-Nov-2006, 02:00 AM
yea, you'd think he had some sort of medical training, or at the least, had a relative who was & learned stuff from them

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 02:52 AM
For me, a lot of the best scenes were gore free. The conversation between Flyboy and Frannie in the storage area about their unborn child and moving to Canada was a great one for me. Especially in the extended version as it really makes you think about what you do in that situation. Is raising a child in all that madness wrong?

I also loved the montage of the four characters as they do their shopping, eat food, play the arcades, try on clothing etc. It's the only slice of normality in the movie.

Moon Knight
20-Nov-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh man, I think I'm gonna have to see this movie again. All the scenes described above are awesome. From the dialogue to the action to the unforgetable characters, this is without question, my favorite movie of all time.

MaximusIncredulous
20-Nov-2006, 09:38 AM
The revealing of Flyboy as one of the undead. I always wondered how long he would have stood there staring at the closed elevator doors if they hadn't opened.

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 11:41 AM
The revealing of Flyboy as one of the undead.

That's a fave of mine also. Am I alone in saying that the music on the extended version didn't give that scene quite as much impact as it did in the theatrical?

DVW5150
20-Nov-2006, 12:29 PM
Man , I remember seeing it the first time at a midnight movie showing with friends when I was 16 or so . My first viewing is my affected opinion . The first shot of the red rug wall is just forshadowing . Desparation of the tv crew , when I was first watching it , I could feel the death creeping into the walls . I just put the extended dvd version in 'cause I havent watched it at least a year so ... Zilla Clintons' work is very good , acting is friggin panicked perfect , WGON camera man hears flyboy whispering "... We've got to survive ..." and says ," Go ahead ,we'll be off the air by midnight .The emergency networks are taking over , Our responsibilty is finished ." There will never be a finer work in desparation and horror . Poor Rod Tucker , Roger tells the kid to stay cool & not to pop off , & Rod takes one in the forehead . The music dates the film , that 70's feel . Wooly was a idiot , got what he had coming to him ... The one-legged priest in the basement : " You are stronger than us , but soon I think they be stronger than you ...When the dead walk , We must stop the killing , or lose the war ..." creeps me out .:skull:

MaximusIncredulous
20-Nov-2006, 07:07 PM
That's a fave of mine also. Am I alone in saying that the music on the extended version didn't give that scene quite as much impact as it did in the theatrical?

Nope, you're not alone. Great transition from Gonk to Goblin in the theatrical.

dmbfanintn
20-Nov-2006, 10:18 PM
Definitely my favorite scene is when Roger ask Peter to take care of him when he goes.

The whole scene that plays through to Peter shooting him. Every time I see it and Roger starts rising up under the cover, Dr Millard Rausch in the background. UNEMOTIONAL!!! POW!, I can feel the hair on my neck stand up!:D

I like when he says we are down to line folks, down to the line, and Roger is rising at the same time.

HLS
21-Nov-2006, 12:10 AM
Definitely my favorite scene is when Roger ask Peter to take care of him when he goes.

The whole scene that plays through to Peter shooting him. Every time I see it and Roger starts rising up under the cover, Dr Millard Rausch in the background. UNEMOTIONAL!!! POW!, I can feel the hair on my neck stand up!:D

I like when he says we are down to line folks, down to the line, and Roger is rising at the same time.

ROGER did make a great zombie. it looked so real and believable

Philly_SWAT
21-Nov-2006, 02:37 AM
There are so many great scenes in this movie that it is indeed very hard to pick out a favorite. All of the scenes mentioned here are really good scenes. To me, one of my favorite scenes is very short, and if it had been cut out of the movie it wouldnt have ruined any of the plot points or anything, but it is so simple, and says so much with so little. It is the scene right as our group of 4 is heading downstairs to attempt to shut the main doors to the mall. Flyboy and Fran go down the escalator, but since Roger is hurt and in the wheelbarrow, Peter and he have to go down the elevator. Peter, overwhelmed by the fact that this man with whom he has been through so much with, a man who he has grown to love (in a non-gay way), has been bitten and not only is going to die soon, but is going to die and then "come-back" soon, tries to convey his love to his friend Roger. But being a tough guy, unused to speaking this way, and again being overwhelmed by his own emotions, Peter hardly knows what to say. Peter starts out........... "Look here man, I , uh........"

Roger, who knows exactly how his friend Peter feels, since he feels the same way also, and also as a tough guy not used to expressing these kinds of emotions to another man, realizes in an instance both that his friend Peter is struggling to say what he wants to say and exactly how his friend feels. He cuts Peter's attempt to talk off and says "I know. Shut up, will ya?" To me, this scene show perfectly the bond that these two have formed in the time that they have been together, a bond made even tighter due to the extraordinary circumstances that have taken place during that time. Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.

coma
21-Nov-2006, 02:48 AM
Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.
Exactly. Nicely done.

I couldn't pick a favorite that wasn't mentioned. All the personal scenes in the Mall are what make it great. It is non stop with subtle, meaningful dialouge and world class acting.

HLS
22-Nov-2006, 02:09 AM
There are so many great scenes in this movie that it is indeed very hard to pick out a favorite. All of the scenes mentioned here are really good scenes. To me, one of my favorite scenes is very short, and if it had been cut out of the movie it wouldnt have ruined any of the plot points or anything, but it is so simple, and says so much with so little. It is the scene right as our group of 4 is heading downstairs to attempt to shut the main doors to the mall. Flyboy and Fran go down the escalator, but since Roger is hurt and in the wheelbarrow, Peter and he have to go down the elevator. Peter, overwhelmed by the fact that this man with whom he has been through so much with, a man who he has grown to love (in a non-gay way), has been bitten and not only is going to die soon, but is going to die and then "come-back" soon, tries to convey his love to his friend Roger. But being a tough guy, unused to speaking this way, and again being overwhelmed by his own emotions, Peter hardly knows what to say. Peter starts out........... "Look here man, I , uh........"

Roger, who knows exactly how his friend Peter feels, since he feels the same way also, and also as a tough guy not used to expressing these kinds of emotions to another man, realizes in an instance both that his friend Peter is struggling to say what he wants to say and exactly how his friend feels. He cuts Peter's attempt to talk off and says "I know. Shut up, will ya?" To me, this scene show perfectly the bond that these two have formed in the time that they have been together, a bond made even tighter due to the extraordinary circumstances that have taken place during that time. Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.

Another scene that I feel reflected Peters and Rogers bond was at the end how at first Peter refused to leave with Fran when he said he honestly did not want to go (or something to that extent). To me that reflected his deep profound sadness of his friend Roger. i am not sure why he changed his mind and hurred up to the helicopter at the end. I would like to think it was Frans pregnancy kinda gave him something to look forward to live for.

capncnut
22-Nov-2006, 06:58 AM
i am not sure why he changed his mind and hurried up to the helicopter at the end. I would like to think it was Frans pregnancy kinda gave him something to look forward to live for.

I always kinda had that vibe too. Just look at Peter's smiling face when he climbs into the chopper at the end, you know he wants Fran. Plus they were talking kinda nice together when they left the police dock in the extended version.

coma
22-Nov-2006, 02:35 PM
I always kinda had that vibe too. Just look at Peter's smiling face when he climbs into the chopper at the end, you know he wants Fran. Plus they were talking kinda nice together when they left the police dock in the extended version.

He's everything Flyboy wasn't.
Peter also stood up for her about the weapon when flyboy was being an ass about it.
Also, he was pretty much condeming Fran to a horrible death by abandoning her. No way a late stage pregnant woman could make it alone.

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 06:35 AM
when they were about to leave in the whirly-bird and the dude asked after cigarettes and they all said they had none and then next thing you know everyone lights up at the same time...

darth los
29-May-2007, 06:59 AM
Another classic sceneis when after all the chastising Fran did about the men being so seduced by this place that don'y don't see it's a prison as well. It's when she's making herself up in the mirror and she strikingly resembles the mannequin next to her. I think she realizes that she's succumb to the allure of consumerism as well. Actually that whole montage revealing that they have every material thing they could ever want but still aren't happy is classic, i'd dare call it art. It opens up a whole series of questions along the lines of what is life really about. I have know idea if GAR actually meant to do this to the extent that we analyze to mean, but it's there never the less.

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 07:02 AM
I figured she was looking to the mannequin for makeup ideas but your way makes more sense. A nice way to look at it but I thought they were as happy as they could be all things considered. The problem was of course that it wasn't going to last and that they were restless and bored. Looking at it your way makes me think its only a matter of time until all that you have is lost to the inevitability of life...which is death.

darth los
29-May-2007, 07:11 AM
I interpret it as when from the moment Roger died the whole dynamic changed. They wew very meloncholy. That much is indiputable. Now, as to the reasons why they felt this way, that is certainly up for debate. I thought it might have been because of roger's death perhaps. The wild rollercoaster ride seemed to end with his death and the whole we can take em'/ invincible thing went right down the toilet. Maybe we just need things to strive for in life and in that situation it was no longer possible. The had reached the ceiling so to speak and never had a hope for anything more in life. People need hope. It was said about Alexander the Great "and then he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer", i think. Cut me some slack , i'm not a history major. lol:p But i think it's close enough.

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 07:18 AM
Its interesting that you said that because when they lost roger and their hope they had essentially hit the 'glass celing' which you'll notice fran and peter have to pass through in order to survive

darth los
29-May-2007, 08:06 AM
A very interesting interpretation. There are so many subplots and different possible interpretations that can be made from this film. It really does keep on giving. I like to watch the movie and everytime i'll specifically focus on a particular subplot that a character might be dealing with. Whether it's fran's struggle for respect as the only woman in the group, the interaction of peter and the others, him being the only african american, and flyboy just trying to man up. I have my own thoughts, but what do you think roger's issue(s) were?

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 08:11 AM
I think he was jealous of the relationship between Stephen and Fran. The three of them were friends but there comes a time when you have the basic human need for the comfort from the opposite sex. Often in life or death situations your carnal desire for the opposite sex is in way increased I think because its essential for the survival of your species and part of your instinct to reproduce. He and Peter were SOL unless they wanted each other and at some point thats simply not enough.

Roger turned into such a loose cannon towards his demise that I think had he not been infected at any point I see him killing for Fran. Not for her personally but even just for her in general. At some point it would even fall onto him to keep her safe from the biker gang. When the world is over run with zombies its like being a man living in prison... you're reduced to a lower level of humanity and the things you're capable of are unimaginable but at some point need to be thought of to prepare yourself for the inevitabilities

darth los
29-May-2007, 08:17 AM
Do you think the genesis of this jealously predated the plauge when he theoretically had feelings for her or did it come from the fact that she was the only game in town. Like rhodes said" maybe it'll give the rest of us a shot at some lovin' " I think the latter was definitely a factor with the group of survivors in day. Being a woman , how would you feel about being in that situation?

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 08:30 AM
If I was in that situation it wouldn't be a problem for me. I understand what they would want and I'm not afraid to take a few heads off to ensure I dont have to be in that situation. Its tough because you'd want the protection of a group of men but the price for that is too much and personally I'd be a solitary fighter in the war against the undead I wouldn't be likely to end up living with a group of other survivors. Its easier when you're the only person to concern yourself with.

I think Roger had feelings for Fran only after everything hit the fan. But when they got to the mall. I liked that Day and 28 Days actually explored that spectrum of reality in a zombie world. To pussy foot around it is only avoiding a great story on human behaviour.

The Walking Deaad graphic novel explored that same thing with Ricks wife having an affair because she thought he was dead and needed the solace another man was willing to provide. Unfortunately of course that leads to something bad. Then in another instance one of the survivors in the story wasn't afraid to risk his life to gather supplies because he had no one he cared about. Not having someone you love is like not having something to live for. When you have no one you lose nothing when you die so you'll risk everything.

darth los
29-May-2007, 08:40 AM
Another thought provoking scene was the bikers raided the mall. Many things could be poited too, but i usually fixate upon the fact that they messed up the entire set up for the protagonists and for what? They said it themselves, tv's, money, all useless. Besides the guns and ammo, what did they really come out of there with, a mannequin and some pies? It speaks to the heart of what's really inside human beings. Misery does love company it seems.

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 08:45 AM
Whats funny about them looting the mall at a time when money is virtually useless along with TVs and such is it reminds me of when people looted the stores post-Katrina in N'awlins... I mean there was no power for the TVs people were stealing ... I understand the food but for taking EVERYTHING there is no excuse. It also reminds me of the LA riots when people were burning down their own neighborhoods. It just made no sense unless of course you think of... misery loves company.

darth los
29-May-2007, 08:49 AM
It's the only logical explanation. Then again applying logic in order to figure out the reasons behind human behavior is a self defeating premise. However, it is very ironic that the bikers, and mostly the stars of the movie, aquired all this material wealth at a time when it was virtually insignificany. Good catch buddy.:D

jim102016
29-May-2007, 01:04 PM
I've seen the movie god knows how many times, I'd say my favorite shocker is getting to see Fran's tits. The earlier copy of the movie I had just had them in bed together, but the later copy I bought (extended version?) showed her half naked. Not much to look at, but among many new details I never expected to come along and enhance the movie

darth los
29-May-2007, 04:20 PM
Ah yes, among all the eternal questions that are asked and issues that are dealt with, we now get down to what really matters: sillouetted breasts.:p j/k I think that's just an american thing. Our country as a whole is very repressed when it comes to sexuality. We don't talk about it or masterbation and the like. In europe, South America woman do the weather naked. ( I have no idea if that's true, but one can dream.)

RustyHicks
26-Jun-2007, 01:10 AM
For me, the whole I'm going to try not to come back, scene did it for me when I first saw the film. I was upset that Roger died, I kept saying why can't Stephen die, he sucks'. I was ten at the time. lol
I love the montage, that was a little pick me up in the film.
Stephen as a zombie (not cause I wanted him dead) just because he does an amazing zombie. No one can beat that zombie walk

MissJacksonCA
26-Jun-2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah that totally was one of the most deeply affecting scenes from the movie and it was really well done by the actors in it. I felt like I was totally in the room with the same sense of despair everyone had. It was like no one was safe and we were all gonna die sooner or later and the question is... are we going to end up like them and walk around like that or will there be someone with the strength to shoot us?

darth los
26-Jun-2007, 01:33 AM
For me, the whole I'm going to try not to come back, scene did it for me when I first saw the film. I was upset that Roger died, I kept saying why can't Stephen die, he sucks'. I was ten at the time. lol
I love the montage, that was a little pick me up in the film.
Stephen as a zombie (not cause I wanted him dead) just because he does an amazing zombie. No one can beat that zombie walk

David actually put alot of thought into that walk. He studied how everybody else did their zombie thing and for days beforehand planned how he was going to do it. I still don't know how he pulled off that ankle thing though.