PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on giving the best 1st impression of Dawn of the Dead

Adolf Kitler
20-Nov-2006, 01:26 AM
One of my friends has never watched Dawn of the Dead (can you believe it?) but is interested. Which version should I drop on him? The theatrical version? The extended version? Or the european version? Each has their strong points, so, outside of editing my own cut with every scene intact(which I'm too lazy/inept to do)...which version should it be?

creepntom
20-Nov-2006, 01:29 AM
go with the director's cut or the extended version, can't really go wrong there

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 02:45 AM
I voted the U.S. theatrical version as it's the one I grew up with. It has better music and a much tighter pacing than the other two. The extended version is a pretty close second but the Euro version was just awful. Did Argento know what he was doing with that movie? I mean, it's nice to see the additional scenes but the true meaning of the movie was lost in violence. On top of that, the overusage of the Goblin soundtrack was annoying and some of the 'newer' tunes were just plain crap.

coma
20-Nov-2006, 03:07 AM
I voted the U.S. theatrical version as it's the one I grew up with. It has better music and a much tighter pacing than the other two. The extended version is a pretty close second but the Euro version was just awful. Did Argento know what he was doing with that movie? I mean, it's nice to see the additional scenes but the true meaning of the movie was lost in violence. On top of that, the overusage of the Goblin soundtrack was annoying and some of the 'newer' tunes were just plain crap.

Very Much in Agreement on that. Extended cut is my fav now only because I saw the theatrical many, many (many) times first. Argento cut is stricctly for the fans like a badly recorded bootleg of a good band.

You don't want to turn someone off and Theatrical is the proven edit.

A lot of people think they have sen dawn, but then they say "brains" and you know they haven't

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Nov-2006, 03:21 AM
Put's on Jimmy Car voice: "Extended version ... obviously" :confused:

deadpunk
20-Nov-2006, 05:09 AM
if it's YOUR friend, then you likely have similar tastes. Show them your personal fave, and hope they are content with that. After, duct tape them to the largest piece of furniture you own, and have them watch the other two, just to be safe.

Sheesh..newbies, you have to tell them EVERYTHING! As if duct tape wasn't the obvious answer to any problem...

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 05:43 AM
Argento cut is strictly for the fans like a badly recorded bootleg of a good band.

Very accurate comparison there. :D

Moon Knight
20-Nov-2006, 06:42 AM
Extended version for me! :D

coma
20-Nov-2006, 02:37 PM
Another good reason to show Theatrical is that if he totally geeks out on it, you tell tell him about the Longer extended cut and he'll geek out twice.
I anwered Theatrical also because if he hasn't seen Dawn than he probably isn't a horror head, so shorter might be better.

I showed Dawn to a girlfriend once and she said" God this is sooo stupid". Match made in heaven...not:p

Adolf Kitler
20-Nov-2006, 03:19 PM
Okay...looks like the U.S. Theatrical version wins out. Thanks, guys!

DEAD BEAT
20-Nov-2006, 05:46 PM
Dawn is something a true fan discovers on his or her own,if you have to throw it in someones face they probably have ignored it their whole life,just my thoughts!

but i say give them the theatrical experience!:p

dmbfanintn
20-Nov-2006, 10:29 PM
Theatrical!!!!!!

Goodness Gracious!!! Anytime you intro a newb to Dawn, you have to show them the Theatrical. It is the preferred version of the man himself.

Not only that, but it certainly is a more tighly edited film and the soundtrack is far superior than the other two versions.

I agree with the bootleg comparison on Argento's deal. Its cool to see some of the stuff you don't get in the T or C versions, but it isn't a very good film on it's own. I don't think Dario "got it"!

Fulcifan91
21-Nov-2006, 01:48 AM
Wow, I am the only one who likes Euro-cut best? I am more a fan of italian/euro cinema anyways.

THe one thing I disliked about the euro-cut was that it took alot of character development out. :confused:

rawrOTD
22-Nov-2006, 03:13 AM
I showed Dawn to a girlfriend once and she said" God this is sooo stupid". Match made in heaven...not:p

i did that
but she said something like " Zombies are awesome , but robots are slightly cooler. You know like the Fonz always just barely out cooling Elvis."

damn robots