PDA

View Full Version : Three Things a Man's Gotta Do Alone

Philly_SWAT
21-Nov-2006, 07:09 AM
When Cholo drops Mouse off alone?!? at the dock to wait for the money shipman from Kaufman, he tells him
"There's three things in life that a man's gotta do alone, be born, die...and well, we all know what the other one is". I was just wondering.....what the hell does that mean? First of all, no one is born alone, at the very least your mother is there as you are coming out of her womb. Secondly, a person who dies alone has led a very sad life indeed. And third, was Cholo trying to tell Mouse that the third thing a man has to do on his own is wait alone in the dark with a world where the dead have come to life and are looking to atttack the living? I mean, I can understand trying to bull**** the kid to get him to do what you want him to do, but what I cant understand is what this sentence is supposed to mean.

Deadman_Deluxe
21-Nov-2006, 09:18 AM
When Cholo drops Mouse off alone?!? at the dock to wait for the money shipman from Kaufman, he tells him
"There's three things in life that a man's gotta do alone, be born, die...and well, we all know what the other one is". I was just wondering.....what the hell does that mean? First of all, no one is born alone, at the very least your mother is there as you are coming out of her womb. Secondly, a person who dies alone has led a very sad life indeed. And third, was Cholo trying to tell Mouse that the third thing a man has to do on his own is wait alone in the dark with a world where the dead have come to life and are looking to atttack the living? I mean, I can understand trying to bull**** the kid to get him to do what you want him to do, but what I cant understand is what this sentence is supposed to mean.

I guess it would be classed as a "humorous anecdote" or a "funny quip" ... these usually go right over most peoples heads, so try not to worry about it too much and dont take it word for word.

In short, he was simply telling mouse that "life sucks" and that he "might want to consider masturbating in order to kill some time".

I found the statement to be inkeeping with cholos character.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Nov-2006, 10:30 AM
I agree with Deadman...

Basically it was just Cholo's way of easing the kid's mind about waiting for the money in a zombie infested world.

When he got to the part "and we all know what the other one is" I think I was the only one who laughed at that in the theater. I don't know if that was a scripted line or an ad-lib. Romero said in the commentary John loved to ad-lib so maybe it was one of those times.

I still think Cholo's best line was.. Hey Riley, looks like God's left the phone off the hook!"

Danny
21-Nov-2006, 02:21 PM
i still think he was one of the best characters in that film, though im sure some number 9 fanboys would dissagree:shifty:

The Alive Man
21-Nov-2006, 03:15 PM
CHOLO is fuc*ing cool, and surely one of the best characters in the saga, but RILEY is top-notch.

And the statement is damn right, in my view, even if I explain it as such:

1- We born alone

2- We die alone

3- The last thing... we turn into Zombie alone as well.

Strange. Never thought about masturbation.

coma
21-Nov-2006, 03:42 PM
George didn't make that up. It's about chokin the chicken:)

capncnut
21-Nov-2006, 04:12 PM
i still think he was one of the best characters in that film, though im sure some number 9 fanboys would dissagree:shifty:

*Nods in agreement* Leguizamo and Joy were the scene stealers in Land.

The Alive Man
22-Nov-2006, 12:05 AM
Leguizamo rules, but Simon Baker is... outstanding. CHARLIE FOREVER !!!!!!!! ( I have to add).

capncnut
22-Nov-2006, 02:00 AM
Leguizamo rules, but Simon Baker is... outstanding.

He was okay, I guess. He's not exactly what I'd call 'hero status'.

HLS
22-Nov-2006, 04:36 PM
Simon baker was ok. He is by no means a good actor. And I had a problem with that one guy waiting alone. I mean who would ever do that to their friend? leave them alone like that in a zombie world. I would think the first rule would be to never go any place alone.

bassman
22-Nov-2006, 05:14 PM
I always thought the "three things a man must do alone" was pretty self explanatory....

I, like DJ, was one of the few people laughing in the theater at that joke. Of course, everybody and their brother went ape-sh*t over "whats that....screaming practice?".:rolleyes:

The Alive Man
22-Nov-2006, 05:29 PM
Simon baker was ok. He is by no means a good actor. And I had a problem with that one guy waiting alone. I mean who would ever do that to their friend? leave them alone like that in a zombie world. I would think the first rule would be to never go any place alone.

It was an extreme situation, in my humble opinion.

And no, Simon did a fine job. Excellent actor, lots of meaningful expressions on his face, and he got that "physique du role". :cool:

coma
22-Nov-2006, 05:29 PM
I always thought the "three things a man must do alone" was pretty self explanatory....

I, like DJ, was one of the few people laughing in the theater at that joke.
I guess I was the other one:)

You other guys need to leave the house more:D

simon Baker has a real TV Movie of the week quality. I think Cholo and Pretty boy were more like characters in the previous films. I liked Robert Joy too. I think Cholo was the most realistic because I have known people that acted almost exactly like that. When Riley holds the gun on Pretty boy and she puts her hands up like "what are you kidding, I just go with the flow". That was good. I wish her part was was bigger.

I wondered about that bit with mouse too. After all those years with zombies, you just don't do that.

OddDNA
22-Nov-2006, 06:05 PM
The statement does not make sense. And the reason you might be the only one laughing in the theatre was that is wasnt really funny. There was a couple people laughing at Kramer's N****G tiraid but I dont think it was because everyone else in the audience didnt get it, it was because it wasnt funny.

But if everyone in the world had a "good" sense of humor it would be boring.

*BTW that is one thing I have noticed, I have never met one person who didnt claim to have a good sense of humor...though at least half the people I met dont*

Simon Baker was ok, but it the movie centered around Cholo I think it would have been more in style with Romeros other zombie movies...Noone is really a "hero" in any of the movies but most of the stars have charisma, something Baker lacks. And I think it would have been a better movie, more room for a character arc with Cholo.

Baker would have been better as the co-star.

coma
22-Nov-2006, 06:21 PM
*BTW that is one thing I have noticed, I have never met one person who didnt claim to have a good sense of humor...though at least half the people I met dont*
True, and pretty funny

Simon Baker was ok, but it the movie centered around Cholo I think it would have been more in style with Romeros other zombie movies...Noone is really a "hero" in any of the movies but most of the stars have charisma, something Baker lacks. And I think it would have been a better movie, more room for a character arc with Cholo.

Baker would have been better as the co-star.

Cholo was the only one with any real star power/Charism and the only one who deliverd his lines with realism. He wouldn;t have been a dick to Slack like Reily (what is he neutered?). He woulda been workin' it while the zombies scratched at the Truck. He had the Anti hero/self centered thing that many of his other characters have

The Alive Man
22-Nov-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't agree. Baker has a lot of charisma, and it showed off.
Riley is a very vulnerable character that knows HOW to be tough when the hard game begins...

I think he did a fine acting, and the character is melancholic, kicking-ass, mysterious and charming.

bassman
22-Nov-2006, 08:10 PM
The statement does not make sense. And the reason you might be the only one laughing in the theatre was that is wasnt really funny. There was a couple people laughing at Kramer's N****G tiraid but I dont think it was because everyone else in the audience didnt get it, it was because it wasnt funny.

But if everyone in the world had a "good" sense of humor it would be boring.

Ohhhh okay....so we were laughing because it WASN'T funny or because we just DIDN'T get it. Now it all makes sense.:rolleyes:

The Alive Man
22-Nov-2006, 08:16 PM
Ohhhh okay....so we were laughing because it WASN'T funny or because we just DIDN'T get it. Now it all makes sense.:rolleyes:

Bassman's humour is first class.:lol:

EvilNed
22-Nov-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm not that fond of Simon Bakers portrayal. But it might be because he was written that way. Riley was a seriously deppressed person who only had the morals of helping others to live by. And yes, I do think that Simon Baker pulled off that performance pretty well seeing as he was joyless 90% of the time. But I don't think that kind of character was suited to lead the film.

As for Born alone, Die Alone and Turn into a zombie alone:

Being born alone could just mean that when you grow up, you're just you. You've got to learn things from scratch, just like everyone else.

Dying alone is something we all do. You might be sorrounded by people, but YOU'RE the one, and the only one, who's doing the dying. Unless you're in war...

The Alive Man
22-Nov-2006, 09:34 PM
What's Riley's surname by the way?

OddDNA
23-Nov-2006, 06:50 AM
I don't agree. Baker has a lot of charisma, and it showed off.
Riley is a very vulnerable character that knows HOW to be tough when the hard game begins...

I think he did a fine acting, and the character is melancholic, kicking-ass, mysterious and charming.

Christ, wanna give him a hand job?

No because you think lame jokes are funny...Im willing to bet you also laugh aloud to the jokes Bob Saget says during funniest home videos...

capncnut
23-Nov-2006, 08:01 AM
What's Riley's surname by the way?

Jeez for someone who loves the guy so much I'd have thought you would have researched this already? Okay, I'll give you a break. Riley is his christian name, his surname is Denbo. Riley Denbo.

The Alive Man
23-Nov-2006, 10:54 AM
Christ, wanna give him a hand job?

Yes, if this will wipe out all the trolls like you from this great board.

NEIL, this guy broke the rules: FLAMING. I'M GOING TO INFORM THE MODERATORS.

Denbo? :rockbrow:

Neil
23-Nov-2006, 02:47 PM
Come on guys... Play nice now... :)

capncnut
23-Nov-2006, 08:35 PM

Okay. This is in no way an overall judgement of your good self (so don't take it personally) but in the time I have spent here, 99.9% of the posters on HPotD (or ANY other site for that matter) disagree with 'grassing' or 'tale-telling' which is basically saying "I'm gonna tell the mods about you." It is just not done I'm afraid and people will view it as childish. Comments like that will probably result in you being attacked more. I have witnessed this a few times now and it's not pleasant. If you have a disagreement with somebody or feel that another poster has stepped over the line, report them discreetly and don't advertise it. :)

The Alive Man
23-Nov-2006, 08:40 PM
Uh... his remark was quite childish, but... ouch, what can I say? Nevermind.

Guys, do not worry. I was wrong... Right? :dead: :dead: :dead:

Neil
23-Nov-2006, 08:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with reporting a post to the admins, but it's best done by the feature in the forum designed for such an action.

With the post in question it's not a particularly strong comment. At the end of the day we're all adults here so some adult level banter is bound to arise from time to time... No harm is done... :)

OddDNA
23-Nov-2006, 11:53 PM
It was written more tongue in cheek...

Everyone that knows me here, and I dont post much but been here since last century :), knows I can be abrassive but Im not picking fights...

Look at it this way...

If you get one post you dont like for every 100 postings that works out to only about 2-3 posts you dont like per month :)

capncnut
24-Nov-2006, 12:14 AM

Totally agree with you man, I didn't think you was offensive in the slightest.

The Alive Man
24-Nov-2006, 10:41 AM

Everyone that knows me here, and I dont post much but been here since last century :), knows I can be abrassive but Im not picking fights...

Look at it this way...

If you get one post you dont like for every 100 postings that works out to only about 2-3 posts you dont like per month :)

Okay, forgive me. :cool:

Brubaker
24-Nov-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes, if this will wipe out all the trolls like you from this great board.

Denbo? :rockbrow:

Yes, Kaufman refers to Riley by his surname at least once in the movie. I know of one such occasion when they are talking on the phone after the zombies have entered the city. I think the line is, "You lied to me, Denbo." Correct me if that one is wrong.

bassman
24-Nov-2006, 06:10 PM
No because you think lame jokes are funny...Im willing to bet you also laugh aloud to the jokes Bob Saget says during funniest home videos...

Yeah....and you know all the jokes that I laugh at. You've got me there....you know me so well.:rolleyes: But looking on this thread and thinking of times I've watched the film with others, I guess i'm not the only one that laughed at the "Lame joke".

Nice attempt at starting a flame war, by the way.

To quote the recently departed Adrenochrome: "Shoo kid. Go play"

The Alive Man
24-Nov-2006, 06:33 PM
Nice attempt at starting a flame war, by the way.

I agree, nice attempt, but unsuccessful.

DENBO looks like one hell of a surname.

capncnut
26-Nov-2006, 12:53 AM

Er, huh? :confused:

The Alive Man
26-Nov-2006, 12:59 AM
Er, huh? :confused:

Yes, I think so.

coma
26-Nov-2006, 01:28 AM
Yes, Kaufman refers to Riley by his surname at least once in the movie. I know of one such occasion when they are talking on the phone after the zombies have entered the city. I think the line is, "You lied to me, Denbo." Correct me if that one is wrong.

More than once. There is one other wher Kaufman calls him Mr. Denbo. Its when Kaufman brings him from Lockup to tell him of his dilemma with Cholo in the conference room.

...the jokes Bob Saget says during funniest home videos...
That show sucks nads, but Saget in the Aristocrats was HILARIOUS.:)

capncnut
26-Nov-2006, 03:46 AM

DENBO is one hell of a DAMN strange surname!

deadpunk
26-Nov-2006, 06:06 AM
It's suppossed to Irish, if I caught the references near the middle and end correctly...but, it's the strangest Irish surname I've ever seen...

The Alive Man
26-Nov-2006, 11:26 AM
DENBO is one hell of a DAMN strange surname!

DENBO is one hell of a damn COOL strange surname!

coma
26-Nov-2006, 05:21 PM
DENBO is one hell of a damn COOL strange surname!

To me it sounds like a made up Soap Opera or comic book name. Kind of unnatural.

deadpunk
27-Nov-2006, 03:24 AM
To me it sounds like a made up Soap Opera or comic book name. Kind of unnatural.

It does sound very very very comicbookish for a GAR hero...now that you mention it...:eek:

radiokill
27-Nov-2006, 04:11 AM
I agree with something that somebody said about Riley but I can't remember who or what that was now.....anyway what it concerned was Riley...Yeah, the acting was good for the depressed/altruistic character, but he was static, and static characters as leads aren't very good in movies...or anything really. Riley was supposed to be the hero, in a way, but there was no time of trials (which is pretty much requisite for a hero).....nor was there time for a time of trials. Too many characters in land, not enough time to develop them all properly. I love Land, but it is not a great movie....left me unsatisfied..."That was it" is what I was saying when it was over. For it to have been really good, it should have been like 4 hours long.

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 10:05 AM
Denbo is one hell of a damn cool strange comic-bookish/soap opera surname!

Radiokill, all the characters in GAR's Dead movies are "static" in the way they do *NOT* undergo any dramatic spiritual/moral/existential metamorphosis, apart emotionally dealing with the newly "broken-out" Living Dead issue (ENOUGH!)

radiokill
27-Nov-2006, 01:06 PM
That's true...posted that without thinking about the rest of the movies.....but Land jumps right into the action when I've barely gotten to "shake hands" with any of the characters.

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 01:12 PM
That's true...posted that without thinking about the rest of the movies.....but Land jumps right into the action when I've barely gotten to "shake hands" with any of the characters.

NIGHT was set inside an HOUSE. DAWN expanded the "universe" GAR hinted in NIGHT in a very action-oriented way. DAY returned to the boundaries of a limited place, retaining all the qualities of the previous movies, especially NIGHT. LAND expanded the "universe" again, this time focusing on many issues ignored by the trilogy.
Contraction, dilatation... Like a tide...
DIARY is going to be a whole different approach, maybe an hybrid.
So, we don't need to "shake hands" with any of the characters in the "expanded" movies like DAWN (which features a great character development, however) and LAND (which "depicts" a fresco, a background). That is up to the "confined" movies like NIGHT and DAY.. and maybe DIARY?

radiokill
27-Nov-2006, 03:20 PM
NIGHT was set inside an HOUSE. DAWN expanded the "universe" GAR hinted in NIGHT in a very action-oriented way. DAY returned to the boundaries of a limited place, retaining all the qualities of the previous movies, especially NIGHT. LAND expanded the "universe" again, this time focusing on many issues ignored by the trilogy.
So, we don't need to "shake hands" with any of the characters in the "expanded" movies like DAWN (which features a great character development, however) and LAND (which "depicts" a fresco, a background). That is up to the "confined" movies like NIGHT and DAY.. and maybe DIARY?

I got to know the characters in all the other movies...I'd like to have known the ones in Land as well. Land was too wam, bam, thank you, ma'am for me. I still like it. You get the point of who the characters are...it was just too fast.

coma
27-Nov-2006, 05:04 PM

The Character development has more to do with Length of film rather than the setting. There are more periods of Laconic pace in the 1st 3, particualrly Dawn.
In Dawn, almost every line serves to further your understanding of the character. If dawn was shorter, like Argentos Action cut, it would be more like Land. Riley had some development, but the most formed Characters were Cholo, who revealed a lot more about his motivations and Point of view, and Charlie who said a lot in an economy of dialouge.
And I think they are ALL confined; farmhouse, missle silo(or whatever it is), mall, fenced in city/Fiddler green.
An extra 30 minutes of Land would've solved most of th character development issues.

Brubaker
27-Nov-2006, 11:49 PM
I agree with something that somebody said about Riley but I can't remember who or what that was now.....anyway what it concerned was Riley...Yeah, the acting was good for the depressed/altruistic character, but he was static, and static characters as leads aren't very good in movies...or anything really. Riley was supposed to be the hero, in a way, but there was no time of trials (which is pretty much requisite for a hero).....nor was there time for a time of trials. Too many characters in land, not enough time to develop them all properly. I love Land, but it is not a great movie....left me unsatisfied..."That was it" is what I was saying when it was over. For it to have been really good, it should have been like 4 hours long.

Riley saved Charlie from a fire before we ever meet any of them. That means more than you might think. Many of the characters stuck together in the 4 movies either have no previous history with each other or if they do, it is never really explained. To what extent is Flyboy's apparent friendship with Roger ever explained in Dawn?

radiokill
27-Nov-2006, 11:59 PM
Riley saved Charlie from a fire before we ever meet any of them. That means more than you might think. Many of the characters stuck together in the 4 movies either have no previous history with each other or if they do, it is never really explained. To what extent is Flyboy's apparent friendship with Roger ever explained in Dawn?
True....but in Dawn we get to see how they act different modes: panic, relief, performing tasks, collaborating, etc.

in Land, everybody is mostly business

HLS
28-Nov-2006, 12:00 AM
Okay. This is in no way an overall judgement of your good self (so don't take it personally) but in the time I have spent here, 99.9% of the posters on HPotD (or ANY other site for that matter) disagree with 'grassing' or 'tale-telling' which is basically saying "I'm gonna tell the mods about you." It is just not done I'm afraid and people will view it as childish. Comments like that will probably result in you being attacked more. I have witnessed this a few times now and it's not pleasant. If you have a disagreement with somebody or feel that another poster has stepped over the line, report them discreetly and don't advertise it. :)

I agree whole heartedly

Look at it this way...

i agree i do not think you ment any harm with the comment.

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 02:09 AM
i alway thought the part where the kid is waiting for the money was dumb. there are hundreds of thousands of zombies out there and he's just kicking back. Does this seem a little off to anyone. We talk about roger being casual in dawn but these guys have totally reset the bar on that.

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 02:15 AM
i alway thought the part where the kid is waiting for the money was dumb. there are hundreds of thousands of zombies out there and he's just kicking back. Does this seem a little off to anyone. We talk about roger being casual in dawn but these guys have totally reset the bar on that.

You do know what was in the container that Cholo says will relax him, right?

Although, I doubt that no matter how blazed I was that I would forget about the walking corpses outside. I would've waited on the top of the f*ckin building or somethin.:D

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 02:29 AM
You do know what was in the container that Cholo says will relax him, right?

Although, I doubt that no matter how blazed I was that I would forget about the walking corpses outside. I would've waited on the top of the f*ckin building or somethin.:D

of course, it was weed. I'm just saying they were way to lax about being out in the open. It wasn't just him it was everybody. Also i thought that by that point of the plauge there would have ben alot more zombies roaming about. I also didn't like the way the zeds crept up on people in this movie. It happened way more than in any of the other films. Like they were being staelthy. It just didn't work for me. It seemed like it was done just to make the audience jump imo.

Staredge
27-Jan-2008, 02:40 AM
of course, it was weed. I'm just saying they were way to lax about being out in the open. It wasn't just him it was everybody. .

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the kid in the shack: what the h(&% are you doing with earphones on?!?!?!?!?!? On the other hand, that far into the plague you gotta figure these guys are getting a little lax. After the first...oh....50 or 60 trips into the deadlands, its just another trip. That's basically what got the FNG killed at the liquor store (on Cholo's part) and to some extent what got Cholo killed as well.

in Land, everybody is mostly business
I think this in one of the reasons that there isn't as much development. In NOTLD, they were strangers all holed up together...they had to learn about each other. DAWN, there was some familiarity there, but the two pairs had to learn about each other. By DAY they had been there a while, and what we see as character development may actually be character devolution: what they were becoming as the stress built. Now, in LAND we see a civilization that has gotten used to the idea & is now learning to cope. Actually, they've learned to cope so well that they have started to lose their fear and underestimate the level of threat they face...even before Big Daddy joined Mensa and the NRA.

Will

Mike70
27-Jan-2008, 02:43 AM
first off. welcome to the boards. hope you enjoy it here.

secondly-

nice bit of necromancy for your first post. wow.

do we have a real undead geek on our hands here?:D

Staredge
27-Jan-2008, 02:46 AM
first off. welcome to the boards. hope you enjoy it here.

secondly-

nice bit of necromancy for your first post. wow.

do we have a real undead geek on our hand here?:D

Thanks. Glad to be here.

DIARY is going to totally blow the whole progression though!!!! :annoyed::lol:

acealive1
31-May-2008, 07:23 PM
i like how no one caught the message when the skateboard is tossed in the water........

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the kid in the shack: what the h(&% are you doing with earphones on?!?!?!?!?!? On the other hand, that far into the plague you gotta figure these guys are getting a little lax. After the first...oh....50 or 60 trips into the deadlands, its just another trip. That's basically what got the FNG killed at the liquor store (on Cholo's part) and to some extent what got Cholo killed as well.

i've been called FNG for the last few months

SRP76
08-Jun-2008, 06:50 PM
i like how no one caught the message when the skateboard is tossed in the water........

What message? "Always wear a helmet"?