PDA

View Full Version : Land vs. Diary's potential

axlish
23-Nov-2006, 03:01 PM
Which one of these options best fits your opinion on the upcoming zombie film, Diary of the Dead?

kidgloves
23-Nov-2006, 03:42 PM
My choice is more like

Land was good but Diary looks much much better

Cereval
23-Nov-2006, 04:20 PM
"I liked Land, but Diary looks equally as promising ..."

in the sense that it will encompass the Romero style lacking in today's zombie films and will put a newer spin the storyline.

scotty Boy
23-Nov-2006, 04:41 PM
"I liked Land, but Diary looks equally as promising ..."

in the sense that it will encompass the Romero style lacking in today's zombie films and will put a newer spin the storyline.

Spot on

EvilNed
23-Nov-2006, 04:46 PM
I think Land is great. But I think Diary will be even greater. Why? Because I believe it will appeal to me enormously. I've been waiting for a down-to-earth take on the initial HOURS of the outbreak. The first reactions, the first bites, the first infections. Even Night 68 omitted much of this.

The fact that this is filmed documentary style only makes it so much sweeter for me, because I will be able to relate better and see things through their eyes.

It will be alot different from Land. I can't really see that many comparisons.

capncnut
23-Nov-2006, 08:54 PM
I went for the second option, 'I liked Land, but Diary looks equally as promising'. I'm not going to fill myself up with false hope because from what I've seen so far, Diary doen't look that much better. I am optimistic however and excited at the prospect of a new independent GAR movie.

HLS
23-Nov-2006, 09:06 PM
i was inclined to vote like capnknut but I want to be hopefull that Diary will be better so I chose "Diary should blow Land out of the Allegheny River"

I liked Land but it did not measure up to Dawn or Day by a longshot. It was overly "Hollywood" it was obvious that Universal had more control over the movie than Romero. I liked it when he casted all unknowns. I am hoping Diary will shine. I guess that may be wishful thinking.

The Alive Man
23-Nov-2006, 10:54 PM
LAND is a supreme masterpiece; DIARY will be a very different movie.
You can't put them in competition, frankly.

Sort of like putting in comparison Kubrick's 2001 and Hyams's 2010, they are different takes on the same theme. Kinda of.

capncnut
24-Nov-2006, 12:17 AM
Sort of like putting in comparison Kubrick's 2001 and Hyams's 2010, they are different takes on the same theme. Kinda of.

2010 wasn't even HALF the story 2001 was. Now, if they directed the third book, 2061, boy-oh-boy would I be a happy bunny! :D

Adolf Kitler
24-Nov-2006, 02:51 AM
2010 wasn't even HALF the story 2001 was. Now, if they directed the third book, 2061, boy-oh-boy would I be a happy bunny! :D

You ain't the only one.

capncnut
24-Nov-2006, 04:26 AM
Ah Mr Hitler Cat, it appears you have a fine taste in books my friend. Mmm, I can feel another thread coming on...

MinionZombie
24-Nov-2006, 11:06 AM
Liked Land, Diary looks equally as promising, that about sums me up. :)

The Alive Man
24-Nov-2006, 11:59 AM
2010 is not that bad, it's far better than what some people wanted us to believe.

On the other hand, 2001 is a crappy movie by all standards, but please don't let me even start on this... don't wanna be flamed. ;)

DVW5150
24-Nov-2006, 12:59 PM
Its kinda futile to speculate on something we havent seen . We all may have checked out the "Diary" short that is on myspace ... I liked "Land of the Dead" and "Diary of the Dead" looks promising ... :skull:

rawrOTD
24-Nov-2006, 01:55 PM
this poll should have included a
- Land was ok, and i'm on the fence about Diary, but Im 100% certain it'll be better than the Day Remake !

axlish
24-Nov-2006, 02:00 PM
i was inclined to vote like capnknut but I want to be hopefull that Diary will be better so I chose "Diary should blow Land out of the Allegheny River"

I liked Land but it did not measure up to Dawn or Day by a longshot. It was overly "Hollywood" it was obvious that Universal had more control over the movie than Romero. I liked it when he casted all unknowns. I am hoping Diary will shine. I guess that may be wishful thinking.

HLS, this is probably your best post thus far in your illustrious HPotD history, worthy of points if we still had the system.

OddDNA
24-Nov-2006, 03:42 PM
Im excited about Diary. Land was the 1st GAR zombie movie that I think some other zombie movies are better than. I think Diary will fall somewhere between Day and Land for me....hopefully closer to Day.

coma
26-Nov-2006, 01:38 AM
My choice is more like

Land was good but Diary looks much much better

Agreed!
GAR with a 50 buck budget and shooting in the woods equals a poosible masterpiece. The more I hear aboutt his the more excited i am getting. I didnt want to get my hopes up because it might have goten shelved. 2 GAR zombie flicks in 1 decade is a wealth of riches.

HLS
26-Nov-2006, 01:15 PM
HLS, this is probably your best post thus far in your illustrious HPotD history, worthy of points if we still had the system.

Well thank you dear. I think :D LOL@ illustrious:D

The Alive Man
26-Nov-2006, 03:49 PM
I think an indipendent movie from a recognized author is an act of extreme bravery, today.

MikePizzoff
26-Nov-2006, 11:02 PM
Diary should blow Land out of the Allegheny River

radiokill
26-Nov-2006, 11:16 PM
"Land...Diary...equally promising"
I liked Land.....but I'm hoping Diary will be super duper badass.......(I bet if I said super duper badass anywhere else I would get my ass kicked)

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 12:11 PM
"Land...Diary...equally promising"
I liked Land.....but I'm hoping Diary will be super duper badass.......(I bet if I said super duper badass anywhere else I would get my ass kicked)

I hope DIARY is not like BLAIR WITCH CRAP. Just an old-fashioned Zombie movie by the Master-Himself Romero.

MinionZombie
27-Nov-2006, 12:35 PM
By the looks of things it won't be all Blair Witch as TBWP was entirely from the viewpoint of the 3 documentary makers at the center of the film. Diary of the Dead looks like it'll be switching back and forth between the eye of the filmmaker and the eye of the protagonists.

Also, not sure, but it appeared as if he was shooting in HD possibly...

capncnut
27-Nov-2006, 02:22 PM
On the other hand, 2001 is a crappy movie by all standards...

I hope DIARY is not like BLAIR WITCH CRAP...

You certainly have an intelligent way with words. 2001 and Blair Witch are crap in your eyes but Simon Baker is god? I think you need a few movie lessons mate. :D

EvilNed
27-Nov-2006, 03:29 PM
You certainly have an intelligent way with words. 2001 and Blair Witch are crap in your eyes but Simon Baker is god? I think you need a few movie lessons mate. :D

What? There's no real universal law that says 2001 is a good film and that Simon Baker is bad? If anything, you're the one that needs "movie lessons" man. :rockbrow:

coma
27-Nov-2006, 04:49 PM
I Liked both 2001 AND Blair Witch. Blair witch was really good for a no budget movie. It was novel at the time and was pretty creative to get the most out of a low production value featute. I wouldn't give it a repeat view, but it was good the first time.
And 2001 is lame? Huh?!?!
Why? No CGI?:rolleyes:
Hal 9000 is one of the great villians of all time.

capncnut
27-Nov-2006, 05:16 PM
There's no real universal law that says 2001 is a good film and that Simon Baker is bad?

Where on my post does it say 'Simon Baker is bad', I said 'god' so I guess you need to take a trek to the opticians dude. :D

You knows it! :elol:

HLS
27-Nov-2006, 05:25 PM
2010 is not that bad, it's far better than what some people wanted us to believe.

On the other hand, 2001 is a crappy movie by all standards, but please don't let me even start on this... don't wanna be flamed. ;)

I feel 2001 was a superb movie. I just watched this Saterday night. For its time, it was an award winning movie. Yes there are parts of the movie that is painfully slow but that was made up for with stunning space scenes and creepy music that penetrated your soul. Back then hollywood considered telling a real story in a movie was more important than GCI and a ton of useless fasted pase adventure scenes.

And HAL 9000 was a great villian. I do agree 100%

Thats for damn sure!

coma
27-Nov-2006, 05:42 PM
See 2001 on a big screen and you can see the true beauty of it. And some mental "enhancements" help too.
Though the opportunities on a big screen are probably only limited to film society screenings. Used to be a midnight show staple

EvilNed
27-Nov-2006, 07:25 PM
Where on my post does it say 'Simon Baker is bad', I said 'god' so I guess you need to take a trek to the opticians dude. :

First off!

Yes, I do need a trek to the optician...

Second off!

SIMON BAKER IS GOD AND THAT IS FINAL!

Anyway, the point still stands that you can't in anyway prove that 2001 is a good film or that Blair Witch Project is. Because all it boils down to is opinions. And even the most educated filmhistorian and professor could right out hate 2001 for it's pretentious visuals or pace.

I myself find 2001 to be a dreadful film. :p

radiokill
27-Nov-2006, 07:30 PM
WTF? Simon Baker is god? Did that happen while I was in the pisser??? :D

capncnut
27-Nov-2006, 07:50 PM
And even the most educated filmhistorian and professor could right out hate 2001 for it's pretentious visuals or pace.

Most filmhistorians and professor's I've seen interviewed on the subject love 2001 with a passion. I can understand why some people might be bored by it (generally down to lack of understanding or impatience) but again, it doesn't mean it's crap either. Just look at the film for chrissakes, it was made in 1968 and some of the FX look better than the new Star Wars movies!

MinionZombie
27-Nov-2006, 07:59 PM
Also, the fact that mankind hadn't been to the moon yet, but they accurately depicted the Earth from space (albeit the blue colour was a little off, but still). It's a measured and slow-paced film, it's considered and precise, it's haunting and it exists in a higher plane of thought than your average "dudes in space" movie. :D

I've only seen it once thus far, but it was rather spiffing. :)

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 08:03 PM
SIMON BAKER is BEYOND this thread. He transcends.

capncnut
27-Nov-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll say this again, are you for real dude or are you practising stand-up? :D

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 08:24 PM
I'll say this again, are you for real dude or are you practising stand-up? :D

You're crazy. Don't tell that to my girlfriend... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every man needs a Jesus. Mine is RILEY.
RILEY DENBO SUPERSTAR.

coma
27-Nov-2006, 08:37 PM
Every man needs a Jesus. Mine is RILEY.
RILEY DENBO SUPERSTAR.

Huh?
You're entitled to your tastes but I think you're in aminority of one.
But hey, People think GG Allin is a superstar too:|

capncnut
27-Nov-2006, 09:03 PM
People think GG Allin is a superstar too:|

GG Allin... Simon Baker... anyone else here seeing the pink panties similarity? :lol:

EvilNed
27-Nov-2006, 09:46 PM
Most filmhistorians and professor's I've seen interviewed on the subject love 2001 with a passion. I can understand why some people might be bored by it (generally down to lack of understanding or impatience) but again, it doesn't mean it's crap either. Just look at the film for chrissakes, it was made in 1968 and some of the FX look better than the new Star Wars movies!

It doesn't matter if "most" filmhistorians love it. It still boils down to personal taste and nothing else. Not all the filmeducation in the world can make you love a film if you hate it or find it boring.

Just because someone understands a film doesn't make it good. Nor does patience. Because some people simply LIKE some films and others do not. No single film has a secret code or knowledge you have to understand and then suddenly everyone loves it. If it was like that, making succesfull movies would be alot easier. :)

As for Simon Baker, I will now quote the Bible.

"And God said Let there be light, and there was light. And God saw that it was good.
But there was things missing, oh yes things of great importance,
And God crafted the first of his almighty sons and his name was Jesus,
And God crafted the second of his almighty sons and his name was Simon Baker,
And it was Simon Baker who looked upon the world and said:
'Let me star in Land of the Dead' and he starred in Land of the Dead,
And thus God was pleased."

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 09:51 PM
"And God said Let there be light, and there was light. And God saw that it was good.

Priceless... I will laugh for the next 34 days now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

capncnut
27-Nov-2006, 10:02 PM

I think you and this Alive Man both drink in the 'same bar' so to speak. :D

HLS
27-Nov-2006, 11:27 PM
Also, the fact that mankind hadn't been to the moon yet, but they accurately depicted the Earth from space (albeit the blue colour was a little off, but still). It's a measured and slow-paced film, it's considered and precise, it's haunting and it exists in a higher plane of thought than your average "dudes in space" movie. :D

I've only seen it once thus far, but it was rather spiffing. :)

Minion. You should see it again. Its one of those movies that you see something new and enlightening every time you watch it.

SIMON BAKER is BEYOND this thread. He transcends.

I am just curious. Why to you feel he is such a fantastic actor. All the movies I have seen him in he is mediocre at best. He was kinda good in Red Planet.

EvilNed
28-Nov-2006, 03:01 PM
I am just curious. Why to you feel he is such a fantastic actor. All the movies I have seen him in he is mediocre at best. He was kinda good in Red Planet.

Blasphemy! Heretic!

The Alive Man
28-Nov-2006, 03:36 PM
blasphemy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EvilNed
30-Nov-2006, 12:35 AM
Simon Baker killed this thread with his awesomeness.

coma
30-Nov-2006, 12:55 AM
Simon Baker killed this thread with his awesomeness.
Him and Kevin Costner should get together and make a drama about the history of cardboard

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 08:07 AM
Him and Kevin Costner should get together and make a drama about the history of cardboard

Imagine the multiple universe/timeline discussions The Alive Man would have on that one. Don't get him started, you know he's unstable when it comes to Simon Baker. :lol:

HLS
30-Nov-2006, 09:07 AM

LOL better yet. Star in Brokeback Mountain II

Imagine the multiple universe/timeline discussions The Alive Man would have on that one. Don't get him started, you know he's unstable when it comes to Simon Baker. :lol:

So true

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 10:13 AM
LOL better yet. Star in Brokeback Mountain II

More like 'Richback Mountain', that's if Cost-ner's previous budgets are anything to go by. :D

The Alive Man
30-Nov-2006, 10:42 AM
YOU HERETICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's about "DEADWORLD" ???? A nice cross between 'Waterworld' and 'Land of the Dead'?
Imagine an army of Zombie Smokers running on water... and fantasize about Simon Baker killing them on... ehm, a boat.

And please... don't say the blasphemous word 'homo' in presence of the almighty SIMON BAKER. He created women for himself, long long long time ago.

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 10:55 AM
And please... don't say the blasphemous word 'homo' in presence of the almighty SIMON BAKER. He created women for himself, long long long time ago.

"Simon Baker is a HOMO!!!"

Ah, I needed to get that out of my system. Anyways, perhaps this'll compensate for my bad manners Alive Man - maybe you could use it as a desktop.

http://www.landofthedeadmovie.net/media/wallpaper/LOTD_WP4_1280.jpg

That's if you don't have it already! :sneaky:

The Alive Man
30-Nov-2006, 11:00 AM

Ah, I needed to get that out of my system. Anyways, perhaps this'll compensate for my bad manners Alive Man - maybe you could use it as a desktop.

Man, you're loosing your mind.

SIMON BAKER created testosterone and women in a SINGLE NIGHT.

Thanks for the desktop.

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 11:14 AM
SIMON BAKER created testosterone and women in a SINGLE NIGHT.

In which universe/timeline did he create 'em in? :p

The Alive Man
30-Nov-2006, 11:16 AM
In which universe/timeline did he create 'em in? :p

The Stretch, guy, always the Stretch, only the Stretch.

Convert yourself...

HLS
30-Nov-2006, 05:44 PM
More like 'Richback Mountain', that's if Cost-ner's previous budgets are anything to go by. :D

BWAAAAHAAAA!

Again I say Bwaaaaahaaa.

YOU HERETICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's about "DEADWORLD" ???? A nice cross between 'Waterworld' and 'Land of the Dead'?
Imagine an army of Zombie Smokers running on water... and fantasize about Simon Baker killing them on... ehm, a boat.

Is that a real movie? Or a movie you want to see happen? LOL. Actually sounds quite interesting:D

Sorry for laughing there.

Chaos
01-Dec-2006, 02:15 AM
Diary should blow Land out of the Allegheny River.

The reason being, Diary sounds like Romero is taking a step back from his own genre and attempting to put another spin on it. I hope it ends up better than Land.