PDA

View Full Version : Slave trade ... appologise?

MinionZombie
26-Nov-2006, 12:28 PM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/26112006/325/blair-s-deep-sorrow-slave-trade.html

However Blair's statement will stop short of a full apology despite pressure from some black campaigners and community leaders

Now, excuse me but, why should anyone 200 years after slavery was abolished appologise for the actions of some assholes two centuries ago?

Yes, slavery was hideous and completely immoral and should have never happened - sadly it did - but how is anyone today responsible for it? Therefore, why the hell should anyone appologise for it? Condemn it - fine, kinda pointless as it was legally condemned 200 years ago though - but why should white folk today who aren't responsible for it in any way, shape or form, appologise and grovel at the feet of descendents of enslaved people?

That's another thing that aggravates me, people who campaign and act as if they were the ones who were enslaved - hmmm...not unless they're about 250 years old.

Now, I'll make it bleedin' obvious (as you should all know by now anyway, but just to make even more sparkling clear) - I'm not racist and slavery was disgusting. Like I always say, racism is retarded, it doesn't make any sense as we're all the human race.

This whole "movement", if you will, isn't completely wrong, it's justified. But the part of the movement that some people abuse to essentially further fuel this "white guilt" bollocks, is wrong. I've done nothing wrong, I'm not a racist, I haven't enslaved anyone - therefore why should I feel guilty? The only people that should be guilty are racists - and they come in all colours...

*sigh*

Just getting a grumbly annoyance off my chest. :)

chal
26-Nov-2006, 01:03 PM
...not unless they're about 250 years old.

Zombie!

Eyebiter
26-Nov-2006, 01:17 PM
The real question is do they want an apology or reparations?

MinionZombie
26-Nov-2006, 01:36 PM
Well clearly some black campaigners/organisations want an appology, which like I said is retarded as folk today are NOT responsible for the actions of people 200 years plus ago.

As for the reparations business ... something about it just doesn't sit right with me. If anyone should be getting reparations it's the actual people who were enslaved - but they're dead, so that's a dead end (excuse the unintended pun). If anything, reparations from rich families who's current success is clearly as a result of slavery 200 years ago should pay adequate reparations to black charities or something.

I duno, there's just something about the reparations business that sits uneasily with me. Perhaps it's people receiving this money when they weren't the ones enslaved - hence my charity idea.

HLS
26-Nov-2006, 02:06 PM

Now, excuse me but, why should anyone 200 years after slavery was abolished appologise for the actions of some assholes two centuries ago?

Yes, slavery was hideous and completely immoral and should have never happened - sadly it did - but how is anyone today responsible for it? Therefore, why the hell should anyone appologise for it? Condemn it - fine, kinda pointless as it was legally condemned 200 years ago though - but why should white folk today who aren't responsible for it in any way, shape or form, appologise and grovel at the feet of descendents of enslaved people?

That's another thing that aggravates me, people who campaign and act as if they were the ones who were enslaved - hmmm...not unless they're about 250 years old.

Now, I'll make it bleedin' obvious (as you should all know by now anyway, but just to make even more sparkling clear) - I'm not racist and slavery was disgusting. Like I always say, racism is retarded, it doesn't make any sense as we're all the human race.

This whole "movement", if you will, isn't completely wrong, it's justified. But the part of the movement that some people abuse to essentially further fuel this "white guilt" bollocks, is wrong. I've done nothing wrong, I'm not a racist, I haven't enslaved anyone - therefore why should I feel guilty? The only people that should be guilty are racists - and they come in all colours...

*sigh*

I could not agree more. Noone should apologize for the slave trade. Admit it was a travesty, yes, but apologize? No. Nobody here is responsible for the slave trade. It is part of our history. We need to remember our mistakes in history and learn and grow from it. And that is all.

Arcades057
26-Nov-2006, 02:19 PM
Seeing as how every empire or civilization in history has used slaves at one time or another in their history; seeing as how it was not whites who originally began scooping up blacks from Africa, but blacks themselves; seeing as how the majority of "modern" Africa is only a little more evolved than 250-years-ago Africa; seeing as how blacks in the west fare better than blacks anywhere else in the world; seeing as how we (whites) have already bent over backwards to appologize, beg forgiveness, lie prostrate in sorrow to, and generally backpedal on every question of race...

Appologize for slavery? Sure: After the clans and tribes of Africans who sold those slaves to white Europeans appologize to the blacks first, then the blacks sign on the dotted line to agree that this one appology will be the LAST time we hear about this and we can all move on as a race (meaning the human race, not some stupid little sub-section of it).

BTW, Minion, just be DAMNED lucky that you don't have to deal with nitwits like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton over in merry old England. Race baiters extraordinaire are these two nits. I'm sure you guys have people like them, but likely nowhere near as bad as these fools.

coma
26-Nov-2006, 05:14 PM
Appologize for slavery? Sure: After the clans and tribes of Africans who sold those slaves to white Europeans appologize to the blacks first, then the blacks sign on the dotted line to agree that this one appology will be the LAST time we hear about this and we can all move on as a race (meaning the human race, not some stupid little sub-section of it).

Clinton apologized for slavery and it didn't change anything. Nobody ssaid "I needed that closure, now I can just move on!"
When I was a kid I was at this party of Mostly Black kids. One gets drunk and starts going off about slavery. My white frinds were sicilian so I was the only true paleface so he sits next to me giving me this hard ass face. He says "whatchu think about THAT whiteboy!"
I responded that My family is Irish, didn't arrive hear until about 80 years after slavery ended and regeardless, I don't think poor Ireland Folks had anything to do with any kind of slavery, ever.
He respoded "what difference does that make, White boy!"
I told it makes all the difference and split before he beat my ass.
If your going to complain about history at least have the smallest fraction of an idea about it.:rolleyes:

_liam_
26-Nov-2006, 05:54 PM
lol coma, i had almost the exact same thing once, and coming from an irish family i just told him about how much worse the irish had it for hundreds of years before the slave trade...and yet i don't hate the english...

radiokill
26-Nov-2006, 06:11 PM
One of my English (an adjunct class) teachers (smart literature expert from Oklahoma, speaks seven languages) told me that most of the stuff he has read, even stuff written by slaves, indicates that slaves were grateful for there enslavement because they escaped famine, disease, warring tribes, became like family to their masters and their masters' families, had comfortable beds and dwellings, and had the opportunity to be educated. He also said that cruelty and beating was really rare. I haven't read this stuff, but this was a good, smart guy saying this and I trust him. He's read more stuff than anyone I've ever known. He also said that most farm workers that got beat were the Irish and other immigrants working for wages and living a much less comfortable life.

The US Army cut off the Confederacy at Vicksburg and my great great great (I think that's the right number of greats) uncle starved to death along with a lot of other soldiers per the US Army strategy.

I'm thinking a lot of people had to go through a lot of sh*t back then and the people at fault are not here to apologize.

HLS
26-Nov-2006, 06:29 PM
One of my English (an adjunct class) teachers (smart literature expert from Oklahoma, speaks seven languages) told me that most of the stuff he has read, even stuff written by slaves, indicates that slaves were grateful for there enslavement because they escaped famine, disease, warring tribes, became like family to their masters and their masters' families, had comfortable beds and dwellings, and had the opportunity to be educated. He also said that cruelty and beating was really rare. I haven't read this stuff, but this was a good, smart guy saying this and I trust him. He's read more stuff than anyone I've ever known. He also said that most farm workers that got beat were the Irish and other immigrants working for wages and living a much less comfortable life.

The US Army cut off the Confederacy at Vicksburg and my great great great (I think that's the right number of greats) uncle starved to death along with a lot of other soldiers per the US Army strategy.

I'm thinking a lot of people had to go through a lot of sh*t back then and the people at fault are not here to apologize.

Could be true. Most of we know about slavery is not from our personal research in the matter but is from what we see on television. And we all know TV glamorizes everything. But never the less, no matter how bad or how well you are treated slavery is slavery and its never right or justifiable.

Arcades057
26-Nov-2006, 08:10 PM
Coma, I feel you on that. I went to all black schools my whole life and had the public education "Whites created slavery" BS taught from 3rd grade to 9th, when I finally succeeded in my goal of getting expelled. Again, nowhere was it taught that slavery began with the dawn of civilization; nowhere was it taught that the entire German race was once enslaved by the Romans, and a lot of other races as well (including black Africans); it wasn't even mentioned that slavery is still in existence today, including in parts of Africa though mainly in the Middle and Far East. No, it was all much easier to blame on Whitey, since we remain the ethnic group with the deepest pockets.

Sorry about having to feel like you were going to go down for speaking the truth to that moron, but at least you didn't back down and agree like a bitch.

On a similar note, racism continues in this country and I believe (one man's opinion, mind you) that one of the reasons why it does is this idea that since some of our ancestors (those of us of the Caucasian persuasion) owned black slaves, all whites, or at least the US Treasury, should pay all blacks for it. Not only do you get morons like that fool that tried to intimidate Coma, but you get morons like the KKK and the Aryan Nations who use that as one more excuse to say "See dere? Dem n****** is DUM! They ain't never gonna haf MY money!" Saw a video on Youtube featuring a guy on CSpan saying the only way that race relations will be better is when all whites are exterminated. Nice.

So yeah, reparations is not a good idea; I'd quit my job and never work on the books again if that were to become law.

coma
26-Nov-2006, 08:41 PM
Coma, I feel you on that. I went to all black schools my whole life and had the public education "Whites created slavery" BS taught from 3rd grade to 9th, when I finally succeeded in my goal of getting expelled. Again, nowhere was it taught that slavery began with the dawn of civilization; nowhere was it taught that the entire German race was once enslaved by the Romans, and a lot of other races as well (including black Africans); it wasn't even mentioned that slavery is still in existence today, including in parts of Africa though mainly in the Middle and Far East. No, it was all much easier to blame on Whitey, since we remain the ethnic group with the deepest pockets.

Sorry about having to feel like you were going to go down for speaking the truth to that moron, but at least you didn't back down and agree like a bitch.

On a similar note, racism continues in this country and I believe (one man's opinion, mind you) that one of the reasons why it does is this idea that since some of our ancestors (those of us of the Caucasian persuasion) owned black slaves, all whites, or at least the US Treasury, should pay all blacks for it. Not only do you get morons like that fool that tried to intimidate Coma, but you get morons like the KKK and the Aryan Nations who use that as one more excuse to say "See dere? Dem n****** is DUM! They ain't never gonna haf MY money!" Saw a video on Youtube featuring a guy on CSpan saying the only way that race relations will be better is when all whites are exterminated. Nice.

So yeah, reparations is not a good idea; I'd quit my job and never work on the books again if that were to become law.

I always refused to put up with it and always told people to suck it with that white boy stuff, leading to a number of severe ass kickings. I would rather have a bruise on my face than feel like a puss. I didn't always get my ass kicked though:) when it was a one on one. and I have the knuckle scars to prove it. It was total war for a couple years. For somebody that hated to fight, I sure had plenty. The fights with the White thugs were personal but the ones with Spanish and Black guys were always race motivated because I never bothered anyone and they didnt even know me.

Puerto Rican and White kids hung a lot and some black kids but we all bonded by our lovefor Black Sabbath:) . Kids in other towns thought we were nuts. We kinda were:)
The main reason I never became a total racist was because I knew many different kids and we were all down and you dont see race when your best bud is a Spainsh kid. One of my best friends was a Dominican Jehova Witness B Boy named Ronnie and thats whose house it was at when that guy gave me beef. The last thing he said was "Don't be sportin' it, Peckerwood". It made (still don't) no sense, but I knew it was time to bail out.
The hardest part was to not say things like "word" though I still say "fresh" occasionally. And I kind walk with a diddy bop. Hard to put down a engulfing influence. Most white kids try to act "black" I had to try NOT to.:p
The cool part is when we went to the rich towns the preps were scared of us and a lot of the girls were on the pony hard. 10 total dirtbags walking with a bop into a mansion. We never wrecked a party bothering people but the hosts acted like we did.

Its true about the Irish Immigrants. They worked in coal mines becaise they had no value. If A Slave worked a mine and dies the master would be out $$$. The Indentured servents had a limited amount of slavery years so they got woked to death a really high percentage.

I had a teacher who was an old Black woman. I thought she was alright until she started talking about the Birmingham (?) Church bombing where the 3 little girls died . She starts going really nuts, shaking her fist and yelling "the White Man, The Goddamn no Good White Man!!!!". Everybody turns around and scowls hard at me and My Buddy Luigi. Nice. and It was a Home Ecomincs Class, Not even History!

I thougtht Affirmative Action was a kind of reperation. Levelling the field? I dont think anyone is ever going to get a cash payout. I Think it's just an excuse to create a never ending animosity. Like Isreal giving up their land. Its not going to happen, It's completely unrealistic. If people wanted reperations for Jim Crow, that would make more sense, but it is also an extension of slavery. And how do you determine who gets benefits? Imagine the huge beaurocracy to trace lineage. What if you half haitian? Do you get half the money?

Philly_SWAT
26-Nov-2006, 09:47 PM
I say that there is no need for an "apology", but certainlly nothing wrong with an official comment that it was wrong (although that should be self-evident by now). The thing that someone people tend to forget is that slavery was not an exclusive "whites holding blacks as slaves". Slavery has existed throughout history. Oriental people had oriental slaves, middle Easteners had Middle Eastern slaves, native American cultures had native American slaves, and yes, Africans had African slaves. What is worse, holding someone as a different race as a slave, or someone of your own race?

The thing that gets me is that here in the US we are always worried about "what the founding fathers wanted" inregards to how we run our country. THe Supreme Court pours over the constitution to see how something now relates to this philosphies of people from 250 years ago. But ironically, at the same time they were saying "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal" they were slave owners themselves. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. The founding fathers meant that all men like themselves were equal, rich, white, land-owning men, not other races, not women, not the common man. I would say that the rich power-mongers owe an apology to the masses moreso today than an apology to long dead people. Slavery was primarily a tool of economic control, one that most of us are still burdered under, whether we are "free" or not.

MinionZombie
26-Nov-2006, 10:13 PM
The thing with this reparation thing - if you use the logic of those actually receiving it, where does it stop? What if the "race card" style politics weren't related to it - people who's grandparents were kicked out of a job because the government at the time shut down the local coal mine and threw their family into poverty - therefore affecting the social standing of the potential reparation-receivers life at this point in time.

Such a thing could go on forever and extend to so many people - but only the descendents of slaves (the former having never been enslaved in their lives, except to Oprah or sitcoms and MacDonald's). That's pretty strange, when you think of it like that.

And indeed, slavery is boiled down to white guys from 200 years ago enslaving black folk from Africa - what about the black gangs who helped this happen? What about black folk enslaving other black folk in Africa. What about all the others - like you said.

Heck, it was even shown the other week that Dubai must have been built with what is essentially slave labour - and yet nothing is done about it.

All this hanging onto white guilt and merely concentrating on the "poster child" example of the problem does nobody any good.

Has Blair already ditched his latest fad to save the planet for a new wacky scheme to travel back in time and save the slaves? ... Hmmm ... :rockbrow:

radiokill
26-Nov-2006, 11:22 PM
just reread my post and the end seemed a little ambiguous....there's nothing anyone living should apologize or receive apology for.

Arcades057
26-Nov-2006, 11:42 PM
I never got beat up for my views. When it was 1v1 the other side wasn't usually up to it, nor did they egg anything on. When it was a lot of them, it was usually an equal number of morons and an equal number of people who couldn't believe a white boy telling them that "cracker" was the same as "nigger," and if they didn't like hearing some "cracker" say "nigger," then don't say cracker around a white guy.

I had to fight a few times over it but I was lucky in that it was always 1v1 and (here's a surprise for you all) blacks bet on whites being cowards and running away or allowing ourselves to get beat up. They don't bet on us hitting them back. On every occasion, 4 in 6th grade, 2 in 7th grade, three in 8th grade and eight or nine (depending on whether you define a fight as me hitting someone and them running away, or an actual fight) after the first hit they had this look on their face like "WTF?!?" and it stuck there afterward. I never lost a fight in school, and it took a group of 30+ to actually knock me out once (bar fight, back turned, 30 of them, 2 of us; my friend turned it around and got me to my car). I'm not big (5'8", 165-180lbs) but I hit hard. It used to be fun for me to fight; not anymore. Too many health issues and too much fun when younger (I get in another fight and wind up with assault charge or two I'm off to the pokey for a good long while).

The idea that only whites are racist, and that for anyone to bring up issues of race is ignorant, is the epitome of blindness and stupidity. It's everywhere, and while we are supposedly the most likely to commit a hate crime against another race, I wonder how many hate crimes are only labeled as such so the perp gets more time and how many hate crimes happen that are not reported as such. If a black guy robs an old white lady, it's a sure bet that he targeted her a) because she was old, and b) because she was white. But it would be a simple robbery, as it happens ALL THE TIME here in Delray. When the blacks around here hang out to rob Mexicans or Haitians on payday, knowing the illegals don't have bank accounts, they are targeting them based on race, ie, hate crime. Are they charged that way? Not at all.

Saw a study once that used the same rankings the FBI hate crime statistic reports used and came up whites committing 20something% of hate crimes, but having 87% committed against them. Seems more likely that way then the other.

And I'm sorry, but I don't consider my being called a cracker, or calling someone a nigger as a hate crime, thank you. Assault someone because of their race; rob or rape or shoot them because of it, THAT is a hate crime. And now we're off subject...:rockbrow:

EvilNed
27-Nov-2006, 12:12 AM
I demand that Iran apologizes for the Persian Invasion of Greece.

I demand that Italy apologizes for invading Gaul.

I demand that Greece apologizes for Alexander the Great.

I demand that Mongolia apologizes for Ghengis Khan.

It's ****ing history.

coma
27-Nov-2006, 01:34 AM
I never got beat up for my views. When it was 1v1 the other side wasn't usually up to it, nor did they egg anything on.

For me it never had anything to do with views, more a I was walking past, trying to take a leak or just minding my own buisness. Sometimes you's get hit by a shrimp in the middle of a pack of guys. When you'd sock em, you'd catch a beating. Sometimes you duck out cause it's a no win and your not in the mood. When your on the street and somebody doesn;t ask for money, you know it's a racial beat down. Usually you try to bail because it could go very wrong. Thats what I meant by asskicking. If I had, at that moment, the balls to talk sh*t right back, I was already halfway home. But the result of that is usually you and a gang and your one aching dude the nest day.
In my expderience the epithet is the precursor to violence. While it is annoying and/or threatening, it is not violence. It is just a nasty name.

The last beef I had, the guy accused me of stealing his parking spot. I said, I might have and sorry and I moved. It was a genuine accident. He flips out and is screaming unintelligably. Then he calls me a stupid blah blah whiteboy. I call him a huge asshole and tell him what to oral.
Later I walk into a store and he's right there and like 6 foot 6. I had to split on that one.

Terran
27-Nov-2006, 01:41 AM
and it took a group of 30+ to actually knock me out once

:rolleyes:

deadpunk
27-Nov-2006, 03:38 AM

Did you ever know you're my hero? :lol:

Arcades057
27-Nov-2006, 10:11 PM
Roll away Terran. Here's one for you. :rolleyes: And another :rolleyes:

And yes, Dave, I do know I'm your hero, honeybunch. :kiss:

deadpunk
28-Nov-2006, 05:36 AM
You know...if white people had to spend all their time apologizing for the antics of their ancestors, we'd do nothing else.

Tell them to get in line behind the Muslims and Native Americans and not to hold their breath...

MinionZombie
28-Nov-2006, 11:03 AM
All races have sh*t in their past to appologise for, it's sick how 'the man' - aka white folk - are demonised by some people for the actions of their ancestors - actions over which we have no control, and just because some assholes from our same skin colour group did bad things, does that mean we do the same things?

Anyone who can possibly think in that way should be neutered to stop them breeding their retardation among the rest of the population...:eek:

Marie
28-Nov-2006, 11:42 AM
Anybody who wants an apology for what somebodies great grandfather did to somebody else's grandfather can move to Liberia. That country was bought and paid for by American money as a home for former slaves. Nowdays your only a slave in America if you THINK your one but, oh well, here's your way out....:D

M_

deadpunk
28-Nov-2006, 03:41 PM
Anyone who can possibly think in that way should be neutered to stop them breeding their retardation among the rest of the population...:eek:

That's the best plan of action I've heard yet! An apology at the price of a vasectomy... "No, it's cool man, we're over it..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Khardis
28-Nov-2006, 04:00 PM

*sigh*

The ones who owe the real apology are the black slavers who sold the african slaves to the white slave traders. Oh wait we dont like to talk about THAT.

EvilNed
28-Nov-2006, 07:48 PM
... and it took a group of 30+ to actually knock me out once (bar fight, back turned, 30 of them, 2 of us; my friend turned it around and got me to my car).

You should consider MMA, because if what you say is true you're quite possibly the greatest fighter to ever live.

Arcades057
28-Nov-2006, 09:57 PM
Ned, it boils down to this...

In 1v1 fights or any fight I was ever ready for, I was never hit that hard, knocked down, or knocked out.

One night I left a club and started to jog over to a fight that was going on. I heard "Drop that bottle cracker!" turned, and saw a fist flying. I woke up with someone jumping on my head. After the fight my buddy told me "how's it feel to get your ass beat by thirty people?" Yeah, they thought it was funny; so did I after realizing that there wasn't a mark on me, besides some reddness on my head and neck.

Did I fight 30 people on my own? No, they fought me. My buddy fought them off, though, and hurt them a lot more than they hurt him. Of course, that's the same kid that took a Bud bottle to the face and still managed to get his friends to their car and leave the area. Whole bunch of stitches later, some facial reconstruction, and he did it again for me. So that's the whole story; since it had actually nothing to do with the subject matter (besides one white guy, me, getting jumped by thirty-some-odd blacks, them) I omitted it.

Seriously though, you guys should try it some time. It's an awakening experience.

Chakobsa
28-Nov-2006, 11:20 PM
The Idea of an appology for slavery is simply absurd for reasons already noted.
Similarly, the notion that "reparations" of some sort are in order is equally fatuous. Let there be no doubt; slavery is an abomination, and as an idea is beyond defence.

A lot of people have pointed to the fact that the trade in African slaves could not have taken place without the aid of tribal chiefs and kings who already traded in slaves, this is true and I recommend that anyone interested in the subject could do worse than to read Bruce Chatwin's "The Viceroy Of Ouidah", a novel based on the life of a Brazilian slave trader called Francisco Manoel Da Silva. The book describes (in a fictionalized form, of course,) the way black Africans sold their own people to the slave traders.

Incidentally, those interested in the history of this loathsome practice could do worse than to click on the following link, http://www.howardbloom.net/
go to the black side bar to the left and click on " Islam's war to save the world", scroll down the chronology provided to the year 1530 and read on.

deadpunk
29-Nov-2006, 05:23 AM
You should consider MMA, because if what you say is true you're quite possibly the greatest fighter to ever live.

You is a funny lil' man...:evil:

kortick
29-Nov-2006, 06:44 PM
I am sorry for all the slaves i have owned

and as soon as they are finished raking the leaves in my yard
i will set them all free and apologise

radiokill
29-Nov-2006, 06:58 PM
There were twins in my family tree (far outter branches). They were scum/freaks that would steal from passers by (they lived on the highway in this area in the mid to late 1800s) and were rumored to have killed a few of them. One of them had one slave and never told that slave about the emancipation. The other twin always wanted to borrow the slave, but he would beat him. The twin that "owned" him warned to stop. The other twin beat him one more time. After that, the "owner" killed his brother. I've just always thought that was an odd story.

Arcades057
29-Nov-2006, 07:53 PM

Well send them here first, man. I have some yardwork I need done. Then I guess I'll apologize to them too. Not for owning slaves, 'cuz they're still yours, but 'cuz I didn't pay them.

HLS
29-Nov-2006, 07:56 PM

Bwaaahaaa! So funny:p

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 01:58 AM

Just how many sex slaves do you employ Kort? ;)

Terran
30-Nov-2006, 02:55 AM
Just how many sex slaves do you employ Kort? ;)

Well... he owns a lot of stock in Walmart...

:D