PDA

View Full Version : "The Stretch" - Definitely a stretch

Philly_SWAT
01-Dec-2006, 10:35 AM
The Alive Man,

Seeing as you are so fond of "scientific sounding terms" to define the topic at hand, how about using "Occam's razor". To quote from your favorite source, wiki:

Occam's razor states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating, or "shaving off," those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. In short, when given two equally valid explanations for a phenomenon, one should embrace the less complicated formulation.

So given this widely accepted scientific principle, what seems more logical to you, that GAR, as a local filmmaker using limited budgets, limited means, and making a series of movies that are made as many as 20 years apart, that he intend simply for the movies to be set in "the now" ignoring the near-impossible task (and totally unnecesary task) of trying to try them all together using continuity throughout (i.e. no use of cell phones in Land seeing as they didnt exist in Night, etc.) or that a man who was in love with making movies, watching horror movies, and reading horror comics as a kid with no scientific training, chose to use RETCON and multi-convergence theories to weave his stories together?

Which is the "less complicated formulation" in your mind?

EDIT: I did not notice when posting this new thread that you already replied to this question in the other thread. I could not find your response. "The Stretch" may be the more simplistic choice between it and RETCON, but not between it and the choice I asked about. Perhaps if you could expand on your explanation, I could try to understand better. I am asking you which is the more simple answer, "the stretch", or "the truth", which is what I am calling my theory. I am surprised to hear that you have never heard of Occum's Razor, when you have heard of all your other scientific concepts. At the least, it was mentioned quite prominently in the movie "Contact" starring Jodie Foster.

EvilNed
01-Dec-2006, 11:10 AM
Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead doesn't take place in the 80's, it's bloody obvious if you watch the films.

That's all I have to say.

Except that I'm hungry.

Danny
01-Dec-2006, 11:59 AM
NNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDDDDDD!

hey, been a while since i had to say that:p

its just movies so waht does it matter either way?, id be happy to remain in blissful ignorance cus it wont change how i like the movies or anythign in particular so cant you guys just leave this one?:bored:

The Alive Man
01-Dec-2006, 01:18 PM
Phillyman,

Why to open a WHOLE NEW THREAD for this? THE STRETCH theory gets a thread on its own...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As far "the truth" is concerned, aren't you Romero in disguise, ain't it?

Man... Occam's razors are allowed to cut just ONE TIME. LOL!

EvilNed
01-Dec-2006, 01:36 PM
Let's not pick on Alive Man. He's cute. :)

The Alive Man
01-Dec-2006, 03:28 PM

McGee, don't make me angry. You would not like me when I'm angry...

Deadman_Deluxe
01-Dec-2006, 03:55 PM
McGee, don't make me angry. You would not like me when I'm angry...

*Pokes The Alive Man in the eye with his finger* ... * laughs* ... *walk's away humming the theme tune from The Incredible Hulk*

DEAD BEAT
01-Dec-2006, 04:12 PM
i have to agree with ALIVE MAN this thread blows!

ignorance in movies is bliss!

in the words of mr. feldman "sounds like someone needs to get laid"!:D

Philly_SWAT
01-Dec-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh yes, he is very cute. I have already said that I love him! The thing that gets me is, he still hasnt answered the question: which is the simpler answer, that Romoro just made the movies set in the present, or that he purposely planned to have them occur in the mid 80' due to a multi-dimentional convergence. So I guess that "The Stretch" and RETCON deserved to be considered, yet Occam's Razor does not.

The Alive Man
02-Dec-2006, 01:23 AM
Philly,

Thanks for the nice words, today I'm not used to it yet.

I think the 'RETCON' stuff is way too much complicated and maybe unnecessary --- skip that.

As far the Stretch is concerned, all the dead movies could be set in the "NOW", and the NOW is simultaneously the "present" you're professing and the combo society I'm trying to explain.

So my definitive answer is: we're saying the same word here, but through different sounds ---- (GOSH Batman, I'm going heavily metaphorical now).

Philly_SWAT
02-Dec-2006, 05:07 AM
Philly,

Thanks for the nice words, today I'm not used to it yet.

I think the 'RETCON' stuff is way too much complicated and maybe unnecessary --- skip that.

As far the Stretch is concerned, all the dead movies could be set in the "NOW", and the NOW is simultaneously the "present" you're professing and the combo society I'm trying to explain.

So my definitive answer is: we're saying the same word here, but through different sounds ---- (GOSH Batman, I'm going heavily metaphorical now).
LOL, I give up!:lol:

The Alive Man
02-Dec-2006, 05:09 PM
Philly,

I like you so much... I learnt to love your sarcasm :lol: My life would be a poor version of itself without YOU! :eek:

(your next reply is the 666th :evil: )

coma
02-Dec-2006, 05:34 PM
Oh yes, he is very cute. I have already said that I love him! The thing that gets me is, he still hasnt answered the question: which is the simpler answer, that Romoro just made the movies set in the present, or that he purposely planned to have them occur in the mid 80' due to a multi-dimentional convergence. So I guess that "The Stretch" and RETCON deserved to be considered, yet Occam's Razor does not.

Gar tried to hang a clock in the bathroom, fell down and smacked his head on the toilet and thats when he got the idea for the Flux Capacitor.

Danny
03-Dec-2006, 07:43 AM
yeah in land part 2 just you wait till they get dead reckoning up to 88mph *que back to the future theme tune*:lol:

EDIT - oh and 3000th post, mini woot, though i wonder if i should take one out of alive mans book and start a thread about how great i am becuase of it :rolleyes:

OddDNA
03-Dec-2006, 08:35 AM
That Alive man will get to 3500 posts before you...

I only post a couple times a day, and he called me a troll LOL.

Danny
03-Dec-2006, 08:58 AM
now,now i can see this starting one of those things that drags a thread off course, another one, so lets leave that right there folks.

capncnut
03-Dec-2006, 01:12 PM
oh and 3000th post, mini woot, though i wonder if i should take one out of alive mans book and start a thread about how great i am becuase of it :rolleyes:

Nah, you gotta save that one for the 5000. :sneaky: