PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Insomnia

HLS
07-Dec-2006, 05:15 PM
I learn something new every day. I guess I am some sort of news lady here but its my lunch time and I am bored. I found this by goofing off at work:p I found it quite facinating. I did not think people could die of this or that it was even considered a desease.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822468/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

From Wikipedia:

The disease has four stages, taking 7 to 18 months to run its course:

The patient suffers increasing insomnia, resulting in panic attacks and phobias. This stage lasts about four months.
Hallucinations and panic attacks become noticeable, continuing about five months.
Complete inability to sleep is followed by rapid loss of weight. This lasts about three months.
Dementia, turning unresponsive or mute over the course of six months. This is the final progression of the disease, and the patient will subsequently die.There is no cure or treatment for FFI; hopes rest on the so far unsuccessful gene therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_therapy). Sleeping pills have no effect.

capncnut
08-Dec-2006, 02:02 AM
"One, two, Freddie's coming for you..."

This is pretty crazy actually 'cos I never would have thought the human body could go more than a few weeks without sleep but 18 MONTHS! I gots to have at least 5 hours a day or I'll go coo-coo. Actually I suffer from a few sleeping disorders myself (paralysis, voices, MILD insomnia etc) but that's nothing compared to this. She-yott! :eek:

HLS
08-Dec-2006, 02:06 AM
"One, two, Freddie's coming for you..."

This is pretty crazy actually 'cos I never would have thought the human body could go more than a few weeks without sleep but 18 MONTHS! I gots to have at least 5 hours a day or I'll go coo-coo. Actually I suffer from a few sleeping disorders myself (paralysis, voices, MILD insomnia etc) but that's nothing compared to this. She-yott! :eek:

ya i have the same issues. the panic attacks and halucinations i experienced from lack of sleep and it is frightening. i had that as well

Maitreya
08-Dec-2006, 08:32 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if they ever tried anything like THIS??!!

_DH0COAwrQM

capncnut
08-Dec-2006, 11:32 AM
Well apparently sleeping pills have no effect so I can't see a tranquiliser gun working either. Damn funny vid though. :lol:

HLS
08-Dec-2006, 11:37 AM
That miniature pony is cute as hell. There is a miniature pony farm about 2 miles from me where you can see dozens of those sweet thangs

MikePizzoff
08-Dec-2006, 12:24 PM
I used to struggle with insomnia. I don't know how I conquered it. Maybe I have strong will. I didn't take any medication and it went away on it's own.

That was a horrible period in life. It was during high school so I ended up missing class so much due to the fact that I hadn't been able to fall asleep until around 6 or 7 AM.

There were also many times when I'd be up for around 50-60+ hours, straight, and I'd start seeing/hearing things. Such as my cat walking around in my room... only to not be able to find him, then realize he's outside. Or someone talking to me from behind and I turn around to find nobody there.

Made me feel like Gary Busey.

bassman
08-Dec-2006, 02:08 PM
Insomnia can also lead to Tyler Durden.:shifty:

Tricky
08-Dec-2006, 04:16 PM
My OCD goes mental if i dont get enough sleep,& i get insomnia as well,mainly because of the racing anxiety causing thoughts OCD gives me!vicious circle!
Ive found that avoiding caffiene in the evening,wearing earplugs in bed,not playing games late & learning relaxation techniques helps me get something of a reasonable nights sleep.I had an interview for a job yesterday but the hours are long & the pressure is high,so im not sure il take it if offered because of the lack of sleep & extra stress!i just want a nice 8 or 9 to 5 with optional overtime :)

Maitreya
10-Dec-2006, 01:54 AM
Insomnia can also lead to Tyler Durden.:shifty:

And everyone's seen what goes on if Tyler Durden happens...

HLS
10-Dec-2006, 03:48 AM
When i was 13 i had a severe pneumonia and missed 3 weeks of school i believe. I was hallucinating a lot and at one point i did not know where I was or what my name was. Very scary. Also i was sick for three months. This entire summer. I had several panic attacks and hallucinations. i was so freaked I went to the emergency room.

bassman
10-Dec-2006, 05:59 AM
And everyone's seen what goes on if Tyler Durden happens...

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned" - Tyler

_liam_
10-Dec-2006, 08:56 AM
i didnt sleep for 5 days when i was 15, i kept thinking the phone was ringing and there were cars pulling into my driveway! more dull & irritating than fight-club-terrifying.

HLS
10-Dec-2006, 09:08 PM
i didnt sleep for 5 days when i was 15, i kept thinking the phone was ringing and there were cars pulling into my driveway! more dull & irritating than fight-club-terrifying.

My first simester in college back in 1988 i remember not sleeping for about 2 days and I was out of it. People would walk up to me to talk and I would not understand a word they say to me.

What i find helps me sleep is proping my head up, working morning hours, and not drinking caffene when I get home from work. Ear plugs work great but they give me nightmares about loosing my hearing lol:eek: