PDA

View Full Version : I just finished World War Z...

Maitreya
11-Dec-2006, 08:11 AM
Wow, that's all I have to say.

That was great, I picked it up yesterday, I just found I couldn't put it down unless I was forced to.

It was a really believable piece of work, almost as if it really DID happen, I felt pretty sad when the survivors described the beginnings of the outbreak and the panics and stuff.

I hope the movie does it justice, I can't wait to see how they'd depict The massacre at Yonkers and the battle of Hope on film. I really got into those two parts.

But yea, who else picked it up? It's really a great read.

Neil
11-Dec-2006, 08:55 AM
Everyone seems to be ravinbg about this book...

Yashka
11-Dec-2006, 10:13 AM
I loved it. Best living dead related fiction I've ever read. It left me with a sense of hope, unlike The Zombie Survival Guide which just left me with a sinking feeling of despair in the pit of my stomach. Hmm I don't know which is better haha. I guess they both accomplished what the author set out to do.

wyvern1096
14-Dec-2006, 12:33 AM
I haven't read World War Z yet. He also has a book called "The Complete Zombie Survival Guide" that is good...definately worth reading.

Danny
14-Dec-2006, 12:37 AM
man the complete zombie guide, i spent ages llooking for that and man, what a pile of crap that was, i wanted a book, that wasnt literature fit for a cheap magazine.:barf:

Maitreya
15-Dec-2006, 06:18 AM
World War Z won't disappoint you though, it was amazing.

hogzombie
16-Dec-2006, 03:50 AM
I finished World War Z last week, and I must say that it is an excellent book. It really did a good job of describing how a modern military could become overwhelmed by an army of the dead. I also enjoyed the stories of survival from various countries across the world, such as the group of Chinese sailors surviving aboard a nuclear submarine, and the internet geek fleeing a zombie ridden Tokyo. The book also proposes logical ways to thwart the spread of a zombie plague. Excellent read. Any GAR fan should go out and get this book right now.

Khardis
16-Dec-2006, 11:24 PM
I was a bit dissapointed with the writing style and found a lot of the authors verbage use to be kind of cliche, especially when he was "interviewing" many differnt people who all ended up with the same "voice" to me, however as far as the lore went he nailed it head on. I had an AWSOME time reading through his poor writing skills, because he is a master of invention when it comes to making laws and such for the entire world he is creating.

jim102016
17-Dec-2006, 02:32 AM
I was a bit dissapointed with the writing style and found a lot of the authors verbage use to be kind of cliche, especially when he was "interviewing" many differnt people who all ended up with the same "voice" to me, however as far as the lore went he nailed it head on. I had an AWSOME time reading through his poor writing skills, because he is a master of invention when it comes to making laws and such for the entire world he is creating.

Khardis, just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on what you mean about all the interviewees ending up with the "same voice"? I read the book myself a few months ago. While I remember finding a few faults in the military jargon, I do not recall coming to a similar conclusion about his writing skills.

coma
17-Dec-2006, 04:31 AM
Khardis, just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on what you mean about all the interviewees ending up with the "same voice"? I read the book myself a few months ago. While I remember finding a few faults in the military jargon, I do not recall coming to a similar conclusion about his writing skills.
I am not up on military jargon, but I saw the same thing. For example, many characters use the word "Job" as in "I used one of those new steel jobs" meaning a thing.
People speak differently, yet the beats and cadence of peoples speech were often very similar

Khardis
18-Dec-2006, 12:49 AM

I dont know for some reason his characters rubbed me wrong, they seemed wonkish and not authentic at all, like he was using them too much to put in exposition and not to make characters. Thats fine (in a movie) but when youre reading it it can get stale. Mannerisms and specific words were used for each as well, so the characters started seeming to all have the same voice (the authors) to me as I was reading through. The EX-CIA guy and the South American organ transplant doctor were almost identicle in speech patterns and curses. I couldnt tell the Israeli scientist apart form the chinese scientist except for the fact that I knew it was supposed to be someone differnt.

They all just kinda sounded like the author to me. And that was kinda bothersome, but it didnt stop me from enjoying the book since it was still well done lore wise.

Danny
18-Dec-2006, 01:20 AM
just got this today and ive been reading it on and off all day and i gotta say he aint no stephen king thats for damn sure, i hated that survival one but gave this a shot and i agree with khardis there may be differences but in a king or moody novel you actually get drawn into the world, you imagine how the characters would look and each has its own sense of individuality but with these i couldnt shake the fact in my mind this was all just one guy, story wise okay but i prefer cell or autumn myself, i think its a pass and if you need a zombie fix check out autumn or monster nation instead.