PDA

View Full Version : sherlock holmes vs dracula

dracenstein
26-Dec-2006, 11:17 AM
I had once thought of writing the above, but Loren D Estleman had already written it. I tracked it down and read it, overall, an enjoyable read, but ultimately, unsatisfied.

Estleman's question had been: What was Dracula doing when not 'seen' in Dracula?

Answer: He was battling Holmes and Watson.

My question would have been: Who was Dracula feeding on between Lucy and Mina?

Answer: The girl in the cart-wheel hat. Mina Harker's Journal, 22 September.

From journal; The Harkers had just come back to London and Harker saw Dracula, '...he gazed at a tall, thin man with a beaky nose and black moustache and pointed beard, who was also observing the pretty girl.' 'a man came out of the small shop with a small parcel, and gave it to the lady, who then drove off. The dark man kept his eyes fixed on her, and when the carriage moved up Piccadilly he followed in the same direction, and hailed a hansom.'

My story would have been; Watson would be treating the girl and upon seeing the marks on her throat, summon Holmes, thinking she was being poisoned. Holmes would not believe in vampires, until one night he saw Dracula in the girl's house, a mirror behind him, Dracula having no reflection. Holmes has a hard time coming to terms with it, doing so only because he would go insane with 'fantasies'. This delay causes the girl to die. Holmes chases Dracula (with unknowing help from van Helsing's group, but will find out their involvement) out of England, giving van Helsing the ship's name. It would probably have Watson staking the girl, believing it was his responsibility.

Thoughts?

:)

capncnut
26-Dec-2006, 07:58 PM
I got the book in a thrift store but I haven't read it yet. The cover does keep tempting me though.

Danny
26-Dec-2006, 09:55 PM
so you think sherlock holmes could kick draculas ass?:D

dracenstein
28-Dec-2006, 09:44 AM
Of course not, he would simply make Dracula paranoid and make him want to go home, Holmes would then telegraph van Helsing (one of your ancesters, perhaps) with the ship's name (Czarina Catherine). Harker and Quincy Morris (it took two men) killed Dracula

coma
28-Dec-2006, 04:20 PM
Holmes would've figured out what was going on really fast. The simplest answer was that he was a vampire no matter how crazy it sounded. Holmes never had a problem doing what he had to do.
Plus he didnt sleep at night cause he was coked out all day long.:)

Danny
29-Dec-2006, 02:44 AM
of course he was, why else would he wear that stupid hat?:lol:

coma
29-Dec-2006, 05:06 PM
of course he was, why else would he wear that stupid hat?:lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: TeeHee

dracenstein
08-Jan-2008, 09:39 PM
I am resurrecting one of my old threads.

Reason?

I just read Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula by Stephen Seitz.

An enjoyable enough read, but too slim. Again, I was left dissatisfied, I felt the writer, an American, hadn't got it right.

So I am still looking for the definitive Sherlock Holmes/Dracula book. I think they may still be one or two books still out there.

Or write it myself, but I do not consider myself a Sherlock Holmes expert. I read most of Conan Doyle's SH stories, but not all.

Ah well, I'll start saving my pennies and get Ten Years Beyond Baker Street, by Cay van Ash. Sherlock Holmes versus Fu Manchu!

capncnut
10-Jan-2008, 08:30 PM
Did you ever read 'Sherlock Holmes's War of the Worlds'. It's told from Holmes' perspective during the Martian invasion of Earth and seems jolly interesting.

dracenstein
10-Jan-2008, 09:55 PM
Never heard of it before! I'll try and hunt it down.

Have you read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Forget the film, the two volumes published are excellent!

wyvern1096
11-Jan-2008, 01:54 AM
Ever read 'Alternate Outlaws'? There was a short story in there where Sherlock Holmes was revealed to be a vampire. Very good execution on the story.