PDA

View Full Version : If you won the lottery...

Excessium
02-Jan-2007, 01:05 PM
Assuming you people aren't ultra rich:) , would you build yourself a zombie proof house? And if you did, what would be the features? Stocking with food is a given.

As for me, I always thought about some kinda citadel city atop a hill. To step to climb from any point except the road leading up. I guess i would make some kinda bridge feature as well. Back up generators, my own power plant, a helicopter launch pad on the top, and all my cars would have bulletproof windows. I would very rarely use any compact cars. I would have to depend on my mack truck. :p

Then I would set up fenced outposts with fuel, so If i needed to get a way, i could map out the fuel posts, and refuel as I needed. Oh yeah, have another house built for me in the north somewhere. :D

bassman
02-Jan-2007, 01:08 PM
Do you believe that a zombie apocalypse is coming or is this a theoretical question?:rockbrow:

If it is, I would have to say no. I wouldn't waste money on that. Plus, zombies are fictional.:moon:

Philly_SWAT
02-Jan-2007, 01:48 PM
If I won the lottery, I would definately upgrade from my present abode. However, I believe that the likelihood of a zombie outbreak is so incredibly small, if not outright 100% unlikely, that I would not spend any money at all to "zombie proof" my house. I might buy this condo I saw hanging over the top of Mount Washington in Pittsburgh. I think it was selling for only $150,000. I think it was only two bedrooms though, if I won the lottery, I would want more than just two bedrooms.

Eyebiter
02-Jan-2007, 01:49 PM
Sure your talking about zombie survival? That mountain lair idea is suitable for a James Bond villian.

Philly_SWAT
02-Jan-2007, 01:53 PM
Sure your talking about zombie survival? That mountain lair idea is suitable for a James Bond villian.
No, I was not talking about zombie survival. I was just saying that is what I would do if I won the lottery. I suppose that if I won the lottery, and somehow had advanced warning that a zombie outbreak was in fact going to happen in the future, then I would build a zombie safehouse.

Andy
02-Jan-2007, 02:01 PM
a zombie proof house for me would be a underground bunker, with only one entrance and thats a blastdoor.

we would have enough food, water and purified air (becuase it may just be a airbourne virus OR the goverments may try using nuclear weapons) to last us, we would also have a underground farm growing both crops and animals, to give us a endless food supply.

:)

Eyebiter
02-Jan-2007, 02:51 PM
Personally I'd buy a remote ranch in a sparsely populated area. The type of place where less than 100 people live within 50 miles.

The land should have it's own water source and at least two deep wells. Would be nice to have a stock pond for livestock, and if it's large enough put a few fish in it.

House dug into a hill with windows facing to the south to get extra sunlight and protection from the wind. Plant a large shelter belt of trees around the property to supply firewood and protection from the elements. Good haven for various birds and small game as well.

For power have a modern windmill to supply electricity and run the water pump for the well. Solar panels with a diesel generator for backup would also be nice. Definately require a wood stove during the winter months.

A large green house along with a large garden would be required to support a small group of survivors. Having some animals like horses, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys would ensure a good mix of food supplies. And provide draft animals for farming. After the gasoline runs out suddenly having a horse or ox for transport purposes would become very valuable.

coma
02-Jan-2007, 05:18 PM
I would move away from the CRACK zombies (an actual real threat) and to a place without any stupidass loud neighbors.
Then I would make a sick ass Zombie movie with my own money on 70mm. An epic to end all epics. MAybe buy a single screen classic type theatre that shows cult double features all day and night.
Real zombie attack? uh... highly unlikely. to say the least.

Marie
02-Jan-2007, 06:27 PM
Most people who win the lottery p*ss it all away in a year or less. I guess zombie proofing a house is as good a way as any. What the tax man doesn't get anyway.

M_

Pnub
02-Jan-2007, 06:59 PM
If I won the lotto, it would be very likley that i'd move way out of the city, and get a flat in the city for when I'm there. I doubt i'd "zombie proof" my house, as my bird would probley filp her lid, (she'd blantley know what I was up to also).

I do like the idea of a castle style house including a mote. It would also have to be totally selfsuffient with solar on the roof and a wind turbine knocking about somewhere. As castles are generally on a hill, and have a court yard i'd turn that into a veggy patch to keep myself from getting scurvey. The hill thing would probley keep to totally safe from an impending attack espically if you had a mote at the bottom aswell.

Although I like the idea of all that, I think I'd rather get myself a massive boat. You can live at sea almost indefinatly if you know how, and so long as the whales dont attack I'd feel a lot safer/free'er out there than in any castle. There would also be the chance of running across an abandoned island, god I hope its not the one from lost.

Chakobsa
02-Jan-2007, 11:23 PM
I think that I can sleep easily tonight in my modest terraced house, safe in the knowledge that predation by any undead hoard is unlikely in the extreme;) .
However, since I live in Border Reiver country there are a few Bastle houses, Peel towers and fortified farmhouses of various sorts around here, and if I had the money to buy one and if one came up for sale then I would love to live in one.

creepntom
03-Jan-2007, 12:53 AM
i don't know about zombie proof but i'd definitly try to get a set like dude had in "blast from the past"

kinda like a super fallout shelter fully stocked

MaximusIncredulous
03-Jan-2007, 02:07 AM
I'd buy a huge Zeppelin and float around in the sky while watching the gory spectacle from above.

HLS
03-Jan-2007, 02:12 AM
Well if i was wealthy and worked for a company developing a biological weapon that could cause such a thing i would be smart and live in a huge mansion on huge acreage completely gated on all sides with a wall. i will have some basic farm animals, chickens etc, weapons and stock up on supplies. or hell i will buy my own private island in the south pacific

Philly_SWAT
03-Jan-2007, 02:20 AM
If you were super rich, you would probably try to create a real Godzilla, and have him protect you from the zeds! :)

Wooley
05-Jan-2007, 05:11 PM
I'd be realistic in what I'd buy, since I'd want someplace I could live at and enjoy if the world didn't go to crap. Since I like to shoot and don't like urban life, I'd have a place out in the country, like say, 40 acres with a pond and a wood lot, and an earth sheltered home.

It'd be away from cities, major roads, military installations, state/federal parks or any place else where refugees might pass through or settle. Being away from refugees means I'm away from zombies or raiders.

I'd fortify it, like this:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/ww_us_barbed_charge_01.jpg

With barbed wire, to slow down and break up any advancing hordes of biters or raiders that come to screw with me. Attaching the barbed wire to say, cut down telephone poles that are buried in the ground will slow down vehicle traffic, and by pouring concrete into a form and letting it harden, I'd have anti-vehicle barricades on my driveway as well.

Taking a walk of my property, I'd make note of any places that can't be observed and or shot at from the house and make note to change that be putting a barbed wire tangle or something there, so attackers or zombies can't get any cover during their approach to the dwelling.

I'd have reduntant food and water sources, such as the pond, a rainwater catchment system, stored bottled water, a garden and grain plot, stored food, etc.

Chaos
05-Jan-2007, 07:49 PM
If I won the lottery, I would do many things. But I can assure you, zombie-proofing my home wouldn't be one of them! :lol:

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 06:08 AM
It wouldn't be too costly to zombie proof your house at least I can't imagine so. Personally I'm converting my cabin to be realtively zombie proof but its not so much to protect myself from zombies so much as its as a means of protection from vandals. But lets pretend zombies are a potential future threat... if they were and I won the lottery i'd be buying up a massive yacht complete with gun cellar and ATVs. And i'd prolly have some sweet setup RV like they had in Jurassic Park 2 but with some sort of barricade so that it couldn't be rolled.

darth los
29-May-2007, 07:05 AM
I'd finance Gar so he could make the dead film of his dreams, with no outside pressure. That way it might not suck. :p