PDA

View Full Version : What Land was missing...

SymphonicX
04-Jan-2007, 02:08 PM
about 20 minutes I think.

any calls for what should have been in there, to make it a bit more ballsy?

I'd go for:

An initial raid on the town at the start where nothing went wrong, but started to highlight Cholo's frustration with the situation.
More development of the Fiddlers Green residents, more development of characters close to Hopper's character, and their relationship as dictators (think Chemical Ali and Saddam Hussein's little love fest)
More discussion and representation of the logic of them living in a fortified city ie: where did they generate power, what fuels were they using, what was the state of the supply influx etc
More of the city being invaded by zombies, a more brutal response to the undead by the residents including an organised military response (surely they planned for something like that!??!) and possibly a play off between the military and the "public" where the public work together to barricade and fortify themselves from the onslaught and the military and "posh" people of fiddlers green are stuck literally in their glass buildings.

Anyway, I'm just daydreaming about it...I still like Land a lot, not the best but its still a very well paced movie, but I always thought that it just needed to be LONGER....!!

What do you think?

EvilNed
04-Jan-2007, 03:53 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think that Fiddler's Green should have been introduced to us (the viewers) at the same time as it was introduced to a group of outsiders. These outsiders should be the main characters and follow Riley on his little journeys. Basicly the way it was done in the original Day of the Dead script.

Other than that, more focus on the characters inside the Green BEFORE Cholo gets pissed off and runs away.

It could all start with the main characters getting caught up in the zombie raid in the beginning or something.

By the way, did anyone notice how short the original Day script was? That film would have been 80 minutes. Tops!

Danny
04-Jan-2007, 04:23 PM
when you think about it land would have been better as a lost/ the stadn style series starting with the founding fiddlers green leading up to the collapse, and you could see it from the point of view of those rich fat cat types in luxury looking down on the others as well, thats a cool zombie series right thar'.

rawrOTD
04-Jan-2007, 11:36 PM
could have developed the chracters
coud have a final raid on the green all barricadd and ****
THAT WOULD HAVE BROUGHT A ALOT MORE ATMOSPHERE
dead reckoning culd have done something usefull
follow charlie and riley on their road adventure
COULD HAVE SHOT BIG DADDY AT THE END
IT WOULD HAVE PARRALELED NIGHT INVERSELY
BRINGING ROMERO FULL CIRCLE
WHYYYYYYYYY DIDNT HE DO THATTTTTTTTTTTTTT WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

also
follow the main characters more before they get entangled in al this stuff
a bit more clastraphobia

kill a main character that we love
its like there was no risk of any of them dying
no risk at all
i knew who would live
and who would die
the first time i saw them
it was dissappointing that there was so little danger and no need to be smart and keep your head in the land setting

have the revolution hppen
that woud have been perfect
mass riots and fighting between the rich ad the poor
and the lowest class of all (the zombie) entering the fray
eating both castes as all three destroy one another

how about that for a class war!

bassman
05-Jan-2007, 12:49 AM
COULD HAVE SHOT BIG DADDY AT THE END

You missed the point....

rawrOTD
05-Jan-2007, 01:31 AM
You missed the point....

no i understand why riley didnt shoot

and why romero chose the ending

However, i think it wold have been a much darkerending if he had simply killed without remorse and left the city
we would be left questioning riley a bit more

also i think it would have been a great parralel of night
killing the hero zombie in the end like he was just another zombie

Im not one of those guys that just hates big daddy, or thinks they should have shot them all just cos that would be less "pussy" or would be cool to see

i just think the movie could have used a few dark spots for the audiences to feel instead of being able to simply treat he film asa gory shock film

SymphonicX
05-Jan-2007, 08:45 AM
I like RawrOTD's posts and ideas a lot...some very nice points especially about class wars and making a deeper character out of Riley by killing big daddy...would have been deep!

bassman
05-Jan-2007, 12:34 PM
Killing the minority has been done over and over in films. "They're just looking for a place to go" was quite good and fit the character of Riley very well.

SymphonicX
05-Jan-2007, 03:12 PM
Killing the minority has been done over and over in films. "They're just looking for a place to go" was quite good and fit the character of Riley very well.

Hmm I know what you mean but at the same time I think it'd be great to see riley show a flaw in his character, because of the death and destruction the undead caused his friends in the city...

I really liked Riley's character, I thought he was deep and very well portrayed in Land - Simon baker did an excellent job...

bassman
05-Jan-2007, 03:28 PM
Hmm I know what you mean but at the same time I think it'd be great to see riley show a flaw in his character, because of the death and destruction the undead caused his friends in the city...

I really liked Riley's character, I thought he was deep and very well portrayed in Land - Simon baker did an excellent job...

I'm sure he felt for the people in the city. Obviously he cared for them, but not to the extreme. He had his real friends with him and they wanted out. They wanted a place to go. Just like Big Daddy's crew wanted out of their situation and a place to go.

I can see what you're saying as well, but it seems that alot of people around here wanted Big Daddy shot just because he was a zombie. The thing is....I've never heard of anyone caring about Bub walking away victoriously in "Day".:confused:

SymphonicX
05-Jan-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm sure he felt for the people in the city. Obviously he cared for them, but not to the extreme. He had his real friends with him and they wanted out. They wanted a place to go. Just like Big Daddy's crew wanted out of their situation and a place to go.

I can see what you're saying as well, but it seems that alot of people around here wanted Big Daddy shot just because he was a zombie. The thing is....I've never heard of anyone caring about Bub walking away victoriously in "Day".:confused:

I know what you mean, interesting points there.

Especially the one about Bub....that made me think, well...its probably down to the character, ie: we loved Bub because he had elements to his character that warmed us to him, but Big Daddy was a bit annoying with his silly growls and stuff...it was very hard to like Big Daddy.

I didn't want BD shot, but I wish Riley had pulled his tongue out when he saw him at the gas station!!

bassman
05-Jan-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh, definitely. I'm not trying to directly compare the two. Bub is the best "Smart" zombie of all time....most will agree, i'm sure.

I too dislike the growling and inconsistencies in Big Daddy's walk, but over all I think the character was a great idea. I have a feeling that if there was a single person in the cast of "Land" that didn't fully respect Romero and his work, it would have been Eugene Clark(Big Daddy). IT just seems that he didn't give a f*ck about the character......which ultimately, is the MAIN character of the film in a sense.

When I was talking about Bub walking away in "Day", I was just meaning Zombies in general. There have been many to not be killed and nobody has said a thing. But as soon as Riley leaves Big Daddy and the crew alone, alot of people were screaming.

mista_mo
07-Jan-2007, 06:04 AM
It wasn't perfect, but it was a great movie....personally, i would have used fake blood and alot less cgi effects....but thst my preference.

Brubaker
09-Jan-2007, 03:27 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think that Fiddler's Green should have been introduced to us (the viewers) at the same time as it was introduced to a group of outsiders. These outsiders should be the main characters and follow Riley on his little journeys. Basicly the way it was done in the original Day of the Dead script.

Other than that, more focus on the characters inside the Green BEFORE Cholo gets pissed off and runs away.

It could all start with the main characters getting caught up in the zombie raid in the beginning or something.

By the way, did anyone notice how short the original Day script was? That film would have been 80 minutes. Tops!

Some focus on the characters inside of the Green after Riley takes off might have been useful. There were an awful lot of new zombies created in that little takeover. I've also never figured out whether Kaufman or Cholo would have been wiped out in the blast or if they were able to get up and keep on shuffling.

DjfunkmasterG
10-Jan-2007, 02:09 PM
Question: What Land was missing?

Answer: a Plot and good story. :D

bassman
10-Jan-2007, 02:44 PM
I've also never figured out whether Kaufman or Cholo would have been wiped out in the blast or if they were able to get up and keep on shuffling.

I would say that it's a pretty definite thing that Kaufman would have been killed by the blast. Whether not it damaged Zombie Cholo's brain and laid him down once and for all, we can only speculate.

Answer: a Plot and good story.

:rolleyes:

And Dawn04 was just loaded with these things.:rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
10-Jan-2007, 03:14 PM
I would say that it's a pretty definite thing that Kaufman would have been killed by the blast. Whether not it damaged Zombie Cholo's brain and laid him down once and for all, we can only speculate.

:rolleyes:

And Dawn04 was just loaded with these things.:rockbrow:

As a matter of fact it was. And well executed I might add. :D

bassman
10-Jan-2007, 03:16 PM
As a matter of fact it was. And well executed I might add. :D

:lol:

Deadman_Deluxe
10-Jan-2007, 04:33 PM

Answer: a Plot and good story. :D

Anyone got a link to that "flogging a dead horse" .gif? :lol:

Graebel
10-Jan-2007, 04:46 PM
http://nefariouslabs.r30.net/Dead%20Horse.jpg

Mebbe?:eek:

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 11:44 PM
It was missing a believable zombie lead that didn't sound like he was having a hemrhoid flare up.