PDA

View Full Version : banned at the buffet!!!

HLS
08-Jan-2007, 12:33 AM
This is so sad. very very sad!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12683893/

Family banned for leaving too much food on plates at all-you-can-eat joint

DES MOINES, Iowa - Wendy Dershem may think twice before leaving that egg roll on her plate at her next Chinese buffet. The Des Moines woman, her boyfriend and her two children were kicked out of a restaurant last week after management accused her of leaving too much food on her plate.
"They told us we are not welcome there anymore," said Dershem, a repeat customer at the Dragon House buffet. "We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything, and they want something else."
Dershem said she paid her $5.95 fee on Saturday but was abruptly told to leave after eating one plate of food.
Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits.
"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab rangoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."
Dershem said she was shocked by the scolding and complained to management when she paid her check. "It was embarrassing. ... If it's a one-stop buffet, post it," she said.
Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers an all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.
"She’s done that too many times," Cao said. "We would welcome her back if she has respect and knows what she wants."
Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.
"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Khardis
08-Jan-2007, 01:58 AM
Haha awsome, good for them. Teach those wasteful jerkoffs a lesson. Not going to eat it all? Dont grab it all, greedy bastards. Its absurd how much food people waste in this country with people starving all around the world. Ohh theyre just kids? What the hell are you doing when your kids are blowing snots and putting thier putrid little hands all over everything? If you take your kids toa buffet line, you hold thier plate and ask them what they want. As thier parent you know how much they can eat, dont pile it all on. Jesus.

capncnut
08-Jan-2007, 01:59 AM
The restaurant should be fined or something. The family paid for their meal so they are entitled to squeeze the 'all you can eat' deal for everything they got. If some manager got shirty with me, he'd be wearing the leftovers!

Khardis
08-Jan-2007, 02:01 AM
The restaurant should be fined or something. The family paid for their meal so they are entitled to squeeze the 'all you can eat' deal for everything they got. If some manager got shirty with me, he'd be wearing the leftovers!

Not sure I agree cap. If I pay my 5 bucks and then bring in a giant garbage can and start dumping all the food into it by the ton, should that be allowed? Sounds to me like these people did what was right by thier business. These parents need to keep thier little cretin children in line. I recall going to th buffet as a kid once and a while, and my mother would make sure I was getting what I needed, she didnt just let me neander off to pile my plate up with food I wasnt going to eat.

HLS
08-Jan-2007, 02:04 AM
Studies show that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to reconize that you are full. The first trip should be light but ya kids need to be in more control by the parents. It is all you can eat not all you can waste. I do feel it was wrong to be banned. I mean it is something that all restaurants deal with at some level.

Khardis
08-Jan-2007, 02:05 AM
Studies show that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to reconize that you are full. The first trip should be light but ya kids need to be in more control by the parents. It is all you can eat not all you can waste. I do feel it was wrong to be banned. I mean it is something that all restaurants deal with at some level.

I am thinking that the ban isnt permanate, they even said they would lift it if these people would be respectful... but I think buffets are in a special situation with this one. You pay by the plate every where else do it doesnt matter if you eat all or none of it... a buffet charges a nominal fee up front, and there is a LOT of potential for abuse.

capncnut
08-Jan-2007, 02:10 AM
I wont deny it, it is a little cheeky and I guess the management would be right to refuse service if they didn't touch their first course and then blatantly ordered seconds, but to throw them out is a little excessive I think. Maybe it's up to the restaurant to post a limit on the 'all you can eat' if they don't like people abusing it.

rawrOTD
08-Jan-2007, 02:11 AM
whenever i dont finish everything at "all you can eat" places I feel like a dick. Especially if it was one of those times when Ive got a plate full of something only to find out I dont like it .

Debbieangel
08-Jan-2007, 02:12 AM
It's ALL you CAN eat not all you can waste!
I see both sides of the situation, I think the parents should have watched what the kids put on their plates. Get alittle bit and then go back and get more not pile your plate up take a bite throw it out!

On the side of the owners ya work in the back all the day preparing the food and see people wasting food just makes ya soo mad! Not to mention the cost! I might have warned the people before I said they couldn't come back tho instead of kicking them out!

kortick
08-Jan-2007, 02:15 AM
i have been to a buffet with a friends kid
who eats till he pukes

and i made this girl empty her purse so
i could fill it with beef terriyaki once

so i know why these people can get
ticked off...

Eyebiter
08-Jan-2007, 03:01 AM
On a trip through Iowa a few years ago think we stopped at that Chinese place. This oriental woman would watch what you ate like a hawk. Think they were upset we kept going back for more food.

Places like that are great if you haven't eaten much for breakfast. Forget most of the breaded products and focus on the good chicken, pork, beef, and seafood dishes.

Huescacho
08-Jan-2007, 04:02 AM
This family will must learn a little of common sense for put in the table the food that they can eat. If want more, they can take more, but first they must eat the first food taken The restaurant do it very good. I agree with it!.

Danny
08-Jan-2007, 04:58 AM
whats the big deal, they get banned from one resturant for beeing greedy, it aint like theres only one resturant in the world.:rolleyes:

Neil
08-Jan-2007, 09:06 AM

Let's get real now... The deal is for "all you can eat"... Not "all you can waste"...

Let's say I go into that restaurant and keep getting plate after plate of food and just not eating it... I could do that all day... Is that fair?

Good for the restaurant :)

Marie
08-Jan-2007, 12:14 PM
This story is so sad, because we actually have people that apparently think it's a right to waste food.

I sometimes have what I call a gorge cycle. Not often, but occasionally I eat everything in sight. I've actually had the woman at the all you can eat buffet here say "You eat too much, you go home now". Embarassig yes.... but I think what gets them is I pretty much stay at 105ish in weight<G>.

M_

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jan-2007, 12:19 PM
I am sorry... I agree with the Buffet people. Just because it is all you can eat doesn't mean you full your plate and waste half of it. I attend a buffet and if I can't finish my plate I ask for a doggy bag to take the rest because I feel guilty about wasting food.

I hope they are never allowed back there. Serves them right.

slickwilly13
08-Jan-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree with the restraunt as well. But I tend to stay away from Chinese buffets, since most in my area suck.

HLS
08-Jan-2007, 09:29 PM
i have been to a buffet with a friends kid
who eats till he pukes

and i made this girl empty her purse so
i could fill it with beef terriyaki once

so i know why these people can get
ticked off...

LOL I used to go to Furrs cafiteria and fill my coat pockets with chicken lol

Let's get real now... The deal is for "all you can eat"... Not "all you can waste"...

Let's say I go into that restaurant and keep getting plate after plate of food and just not eating it... I could do that all day... Is that fair?

Good for the restaurant :)

I think that as long as you eat everything off your plate you can go back for all the food you want.

Wow I got quite a responce to my thread!:p

whats the big deal, they get banned from one resturant for beeing greedy, it aint like theres only one resturant in the world.:rolleyes:

Can you emagine the embarassment? I mean it was on TV.

Sorry for any typos. I am multitasking :)