PDA

View Full Version : NOTLD Paperback Novel - Public Domain?

EvilFlyingCow
08-Jan-2007, 01:21 AM
I know the NOTLD film is in the public domain, but what about the novel by John Russo? Is it also in the public domain?

kortick
08-Jan-2007, 02:09 AM
I dont know

i bought a copy of it
and a copy of return of the living dead
written by him at a bookstore

i am not sure if the novel is copywritten
by him
he is listed as the author on both books

Dawg
08-Jan-2007, 02:35 AM
They are in no way related in these terms of copyright.

The reason the movie wasn't was because the distributor, etc, didn't affix one to the picture before showing it and back then before the new copyright rules were put into law in 1976 or so, anyone could take a work and claim it if no copyright was displayed.

Pretty stupid, but that was the law then.

:dead: Dawg

raym
08-Jan-2007, 04:38 AM
Where can I purchase the book?

Deadman_Deluxe
09-Jan-2007, 04:53 PM
I know the NOTLD film is in the public domain, but what about the novel by John Russo? Is it also in the public domain?

NOTLD the movie is NOT in the public domain. While it may have been at one time, i am pretty sure that it is NOT currently in the PD.

MoonSylver
09-Jan-2007, 08:11 PM
NOTLD the movie is NOT in the public domain. While it may have been at one time, i am pretty sure that it is NOT currently in the PD.

I believe that you're correct. The reason people continue to slide on it is because once the flood gates were open & every A-hole & his brother could rip it off the genie was pretty much out of the bottle. Trying to litigate any/all copyright offenders would be too expensive & problematic at this point

EvilFlyingCow
10-Jan-2007, 12:01 AM

Then somebody should edit the Wiki, because it's listed as in the public domain here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Living_Dead

Deadman_Deluxe
10-Jan-2007, 04:29 PM
Wiki Schmiki ... bleh.

EvilFlyingCow
10-Jan-2007, 06:55 PM
Actually, I've been looking it up, and all I can find is information that says that it IS in the public domain here in the United States. In fact, archive.org certifies that it is in the public domain. Can you provide a resource that shows that it is not?

aga
11-Jan-2007, 09:19 AM
NotLD 3D was made based on the fact NotLD is PD, they state on the poster/site "Based on the 1968 Public domain film Night of the Living Dead" I'm sure they checked up before making a film destined for theaters. plus the new print made for the Elite release was copywrited by them, I'm sure that wouldn't of been possible (allowed) if the film wasn't PD.
Romero fought to get the rights back and the 90 remake was part of that but sadly I'm sure he never succeeded.

Deadman_Deluxe
11-Jan-2007, 10:37 AM
Actually, I've been looking it up, and all I can find is information that says that it IS in the public domain here in the United States. In fact, archive.org certifies that it is in the public domain. Can you provide a resource that shows that it is not?

Yeah,

I posted a link to Kyra Schon;s blog a couple of weeks ago ... try having a look at some older posts for a link or check my myspace page for a link to her myspace page, she is THE GHOUL NEXT DOOR.

She is having a little rant about copyright issues regarding NOTLD.

capncnut
11-Jan-2007, 10:47 AM
I think I'm gonna have to lurk behind Deadman on this one. Not only has Kyra bitched about it but so has GAR, Hardman and Eastman. Besides, wasn't all this explained in the recent commentary for Night?

EvilFlyingCow
11-Jan-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah,

I posted a link to Kyra Schon;s blog a couple of weeks ago ... try having a look at some older posts for a link or check my myspace page for a link to her myspace page, she is THE GHOUL NEXT DOOR.

She is having a little rant about copyright issues regarding NOTLD.

I remember reading that. I thought she was talking about still images though, not the movie. Such as the popular still image of her that people put on t-shirts and stuff. I thought she said that the film is in the public domain, but those pictures that were taken (the ones that were not in the movie) are not.

Deadman_Deluxe
11-Jan-2007, 07:27 PM
I remember reading that. I thought she was talking about still images though, not the movie. Such as the popular still image of her that people put on t-shirts and stuff. I thought she said that the film is in the public domain, but those pictures that were taken (the ones that were not in the movie) are not.

Because so many people believe Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain, they also believe the images of me, and of the other cast members, are up for grabs. This is not true ...

Scroll back a few pages on this forum for a more definitive answer, but i don't ever recall her saying that NOTLD was, or is, in the PD.

EvilFlyingCow
11-Jan-2007, 11:11 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks ;)