PDA

View Full Version : Old peoples home... Can you imagine yourself there?

Neil
08-Jan-2007, 09:21 AM
I was in sort of an old peoples home yesterday visiting someone... There were loads of your typical "old people" just sitting there in chairs doing nothing...

Can you imagine yourself in that position? I can't...

At the very least I'd be online posting here :)

capncnut
08-Jan-2007, 09:46 AM
I can most certainly imagine myself here at that age but an old folks home? No way! I've heard way too many horror stories about these places; accidental 'slips' here, accidental 'bumps' there. Not only that but the other old grannies rob you and do all sorts of weird things like hide bogeys in the teapot etc.

I'd like to think that I'd be some kind of well dressed 80's something dapper, free to roam, sitting in a library, reading a book and smoking a cigar. :D

MinionZombie
08-Jan-2007, 10:36 AM
Hopefully I'll be well-heeled enough at that stage to afford the best care - or - already be dead before I get to the stage where I can't look after myself. I'd really rather not go through the whole old folks home thing, I've been to those places before and I just don't like it one bit.

axlish
08-Jan-2007, 03:08 PM
Back in the day I had to deliver pizzas to an elderly home quite often. If anything, I'd have some insense burning in my room.

Tricky
08-Jan-2007, 05:01 PM
If i get put in a home,i hope ive matured into a cantankerous father jack style character,perving on the nurses and shouting for drink every 5 minutes :lol:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40828000/jpg/_40828265_fatherjack.jpg

slickwilly13
08-Jan-2007, 05:01 PM
I could never imagine myself going to one. And I would kill any one *for real* who tried to put me in a home against my will. I had a relative who was put into a very bad home. Unfortunately, she signed her rights away to my grandfather who put her in that awful place. It was a very low-down, unforgiveable, and sh!tty thing he did.

Eyebiter
08-Jan-2007, 07:47 PM
When your old it's nice to have someone make sure you take your meds, ensure you are clean every day, prepare and serve your meals. Especially with people living much longer now days.

While I wouldn't want to go there, wouldn't be so bad in a managed care facility if wireless internet and laptops were available. Having an xbox or PS2 with plenty of games attached to the TV in your room would be great when the grandkids visit.

Rottedfreak
08-Jan-2007, 07:52 PM
Some are just dumped there by their uncaring or tortured kids and never hear from them again, and theres little to do besides watch television or stare at the floor. There's no way in hell I'd ever want to go into such a place and would kill myself before allowing that to happen.

Graebel
08-Jan-2007, 08:06 PM
I worked in one when I was 16 to "build" character.

I will have to start stockpiling pills when I get older. Just in case things start to go downhill. I can't imagine spending the end of my life in one of those places.

LoSTBoY
08-Jan-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't plan on living long enough to be put in a home. :sneaky:

HLS
08-Jan-2007, 09:49 PM
Noooooooo. I would kill myself before I go to a home. I worked in a nursing home once and they treat you poorly. Only time the residents were treated well was when we recieve word that the statre is coming in for inspections. I quit for I could not watch the other employees not work and/or be cruel to the elderly. Well good news the home I worked in was shut down. I am sure some people get good elderly care but I doubt that it will be a common thing. Employees are underpayed and over stressed at those kind of jobs.

mista_mo
08-Jan-2007, 10:00 PM
as long as i get to see family i'm fine with it. I'd more then likely be too old to care.

Maitreya
09-Jan-2007, 05:09 AM
I'd write whoever put me there out of the will, haha

Chakobsa
09-Jan-2007, 09:27 AM
I worked in one when I was 16 to "build" character.

I will have to start stockpiling pills when I get older. Just in case things start to go downhill. I can't imagine spending the end of my life in one of those places.
Amen to that. My missus used to work as a care assistant in one of the more decent places but even that place stank of wee, the poor old buggers did nothing all day but sit around listening to ghastly singalong cds.

Bongholio
09-Jan-2007, 12:49 PM
I'd write whoever put me there out of the will, haha
lol
kill yourself?
idiotic

Dtothe3
09-Jan-2007, 01:02 PM
I would await the reaper on the outside of those places. I'd like to die out in nature. Not in a puddle of my own piss.

dmbfanintn
09-Jan-2007, 02:23 PM
Unless there was some "Bubba Ho-Tep" type stuff going on! Then it would be interesting.