PDA

View Full Version : professor cholo...

DEAD BEAT
09-Jan-2007, 09:56 PM
can somebody answer this,in land where cholo steals dead reckoning and foxy tells him kauffman might not pay,cholo says: "he will because he knows ill do a gihad on his assss".

now isnt that a reference recently used because of the war in iraq?
how the hell would he know that if the world had been over run by zombies for many years already?:bored:

Shadowofthedead
09-Jan-2007, 10:14 PM
that word isnt knew to the world. the word jihad was used in the crusades years before the dead rose maybe it was just common knowledge and you have to take into the account the gulf war.... but that could be debated if it actually happened in that universe hell i dont even know when the gulf war happened. writing flaw? homage to 9/11 bombings? wasnt there a damn plane crashed in the movie when riely (reily) and team are heading out after cholo and the see it when they are in the woody... i dont know but there ya go:elol:

DEAD BEAT
09-Jan-2007, 10:24 PM
true it has been around but nobody really used it that way until recent times and the gulf war was i believe the first 2 or 3 yrs of the 90's.:eek:

are you sharing crack pipes with bassman311? lol :rockbrow:

Shadowofthedead
09-Jan-2007, 10:31 PM
not enough sleep from reading damn zombie horror novels and drinking to much and wheres the chick named AMARA? any who i... im at a loss for words i need to sleep now work is coming... later i will tell you how i thought the dead were really returning to life... it involves me... alcohol.. alot of screwd up chit in the town next to me... and a large axe... fun times

Doc Liberty
09-Jan-2007, 11:07 PM
I know not everybody agrees, but I always figured that each Dead movie was set in the near-future (very near future), of the date in which it was made. That's why each movie has the technology and idioms of the time.

It's more frightening to think about something that might happen when you wake up tomorrow morning, than something that didn't happen 10/20/30 etc., years ago.

Philly_SWAT
10-Jan-2007, 12:13 PM
I know not everybody agrees, but I always figured that each Dead movie was set in the near-future (very near future), of the date in which it was made. That's why each movie has the technology and idioms of the time.

It's more frightening to think about something that might happen when you wake up tomorrow morning, than something that didn't happen 10/20/30 etc., years ago.
Exactly. I say that all 4 dead movies are supposed to be taken as happening in the near future, and that they are all part of a continuing story and timeline, and you have to "suspend your disbelief" about the changes in technology and idioms.

SymphonicX
10-Jan-2007, 12:17 PM
Jihad means "holy war"

EvilNed
11-Jan-2007, 05:20 PM
Jihad is also a fairly common concept among muslim communities. And it was used by Saladin over 900 years ago. So... No, it's not a very new word.

DEAD BEAT
11-Jan-2007, 05:44 PM
Jihad is also a fairly common concept among muslim communities. And it was used by Saladin over 900 years ago. So... No, it's not a very new word.

i didnt say its a new word,i was stateing its fairly new the way he put it!
:rolleyes:

Eyebiter
11-Jan-2007, 06:22 PM
After listening to the directors commentary for Land of the Dead again, think the jihand comment was added to make illusion to the war on terror.

Consider the line

"We don't negotiate with terrorists..."

In the commentary Romero seemed especially proud of that one. Another subtle reminder for the viewers that Bush = Kauphman. Unfortunately this type of overt political reference turned off many viewers.

coma
11-Jan-2007, 06:58 PM
After listening to the directors commentary for Land of the Dead again, think the jihand comment was added to make illusion to the war on terror.

Consider the line

"We don't negotiate with terrorists..."

In the commentary Romero seemed especially proud of that one. Another subtle reminder for the viewers that Bush = Kauphman. Unfortunately this type of overt political reference turned off many viewers.
Kaufman was supposed to be Rumsfeld and The line "We don't negotiate with terrorists..." is associated with Reagan and was brought up many times during the Iran Contra hearings in the late 80s as an irony/Big fat lie because he was asscoiating and negotiating with Terrorists and providing weapons to nations friendly/sponsoring terrorists such as Iran.
Jihad became commonly known with the Palestinian uprisings from maybe 20 years ago.

EvilNed
11-Jan-2007, 07:31 PM
i didnt say its a new word,i was stateing its fairly new the way he put it!
:rolleyes:

If 900 years is "new", then yeah. :p

DEAD BEAT
11-Jan-2007, 08:14 PM
If 900 years is "new", then yeah. :p

time to teabag yourself dude,you missed the point that everbody else got!
:rockbrow:

but thanks for the comment... :rolleyes:

bassman
11-Jan-2007, 08:28 PM
I can understand that Romero meant it to be a reference to what's going on in the World right now, but the word certainly has been around for quite some time.

Actually, I'm willing to bet that MANY people didn't know of the word or it's meaning until this war started.:confused:

DEAD BEAT
11-Jan-2007, 09:22 PM
I can understand that Romero meant it to be a reference to what's going on in the World right now, but the word certainly has been around for quite some time.

Actually, I'm willing to bet that MANY people didn't know of the word or it's meaning until this war started.:confused:

exactly!!! i know its been around but do you really think he would have said that if the recent war wasn't going on?

the point being once again he wouldn't thought to say that because normal life had been out of circulation for many years by this time.
;)

Philly_SWAT
12-Jan-2007, 12:43 AM

He has a great ability to miss the point! :D

EvilNed
12-Jan-2007, 03:32 PM

No, it's just that Jihad isn't a very new term at all. It was infact quite a common term long before the second Gulf War. I was just pointing this out.

Shemp
13-Jan-2007, 08:00 PM
I thought that the Jihad reference was a bit irrelevant due to the fact that a Jihad is religiously motivated, while Cholo's motivations were purely for his own personal financial gain.

The "we don't negotiate with terrostists" line does nicely allude to the bull-headed ideology of the Bush administration, but then again, the terrorists don't show any inclination to want to negotiate with the US government (or any other government) either. In the words of Captain Rhodes, they don't want us to do anything but drop over (or vacate the Middle East entirely, I guess).

Philly_SWAT
13-Jan-2007, 09:27 PM
Nice points. I would guess that Cholo's "jihad" line was probably an ad-lib anyway.