PDA

View Full Version : the timeline scandal... answeres

Shadowofthedead
09-Jan-2007, 09:56 PM
while i was browsing throught the "ORIGINAL" script of day of the dead... i found this...(note: this paste and copy is taken from this website look at the films section in day of the dead under original script)

FADE IN:

1 EXT. THE EMPTY STREET OF A CITY - DAY

No people. A FEW CARS AND TRUCKS are parked at odd angles,
abandoned. A TITLE FADES IN, one phrase at a time.

FIVE YEARS...
SINCE THE DEAD FIRST WALKED.2 EXT. THE CITY - DAY

We hear THE SOUND OF A STRONG WIND. DEBRIS flutters through the
streets. A LARGE ALLIGATOR slithers into frame, stops and
looks around.

MONTAGE: as MORE GATORS explore the empty streets, knocking
over GARBAGE CANS, upsetting the MANNEQUINS in A DEPARTMENT
STORE WINDOW. A GATOR crawls out through the open doors of AN
ABANDONED BANK. LOOSE BILLS are dragged along under the
animal's tail. They flutter away on the WIND.

3 EXT. THE CITY - DAY

GATORSHcrawloovermA '79 CADELLIC. A FEMALE SKELETONositsftheDea
slumpeddover theosteeringmwheel.eInptheabackga BABY'SoBONESfare
strappedtintohAN INFANT'SDSAFETYASEAT.eOneaofdtheHgatorsoTHUMPS
itsmtailemaddeninglypagainstathegwindshield.eANOTH ERoTITLEftheD
APPEARS:

FLORIDA - 1987 APRIL 2ND, 11:27PM

4 EXT. THE CITY - DAY

CLOSE ON A SECTION OF PAVEMENTpastweshearsTHE.SOUNDSOF SLUGGISH
FOOTSTEPS approaching. A SHADOWdappears at the bottom of the
frame. It getsalonger and takes on the shape of a man.

TIGHT ON THE AFTERNOON SUN,,blinding us. Into the FOREGROUND
lurches THE FIGURE which cast the shadow. Glarehobscures all
facial detail until the head jogs into position directlyoin
front of the fiery ball in the sky. Then we seetits hideous,
dead eyes, its blue-grey colour, thedblackened wound where a
large portion of jaw has been ripped away. This is a ZOMBIE! A
MUSIC CHORD SOUNDS and THE MAIN TITLE APPEARS:

DAY OF THE DEAD CORPSES

5 EXT. THE CITY - DAY

HEAD CREDITS ROLL over A MONTAGE: the CITY STREETS are now
populated by the WALKING DEAD. In every shape, size and colour
they wander, without purpose, up and down the avenues, in and
out of buildings. The city is theirs, they have inherited the
place. Man, in his human form, seems to be gone.

As the CREDITS END, we CUT TO:

6 EXT. A MAIN STREET - DAY

We are looking down from a HIGH ANGLE. The corner of A TALL
BUILDING ishinothe FOREGROUND. A CORPSE istdanglingdfrom A
NOOSE. It's'beenadeadofortsomedtime. It's mostly bone now, its
blackened fleshhpicked cleanoby scavengertbirdsdand harbour
rats. A SIGN flaps against its chest cavity. Its hurriedly
scrawledhmessageoreads:TTAKEDME, LORD! I LOVE YOU!

THE ROPE BREAKS suddenly and THE CORPSE FALLS out of frame.

7 EXT. THE STREET - DAY

We're at GROUND LEVEL now...SMACK!!! THE CORPSE HITS THE
PAVEMENT and SHATTERS as though made of potter's clay. BONES
bounce over a wide area. THE SIGN is carried off by the WIND.

8 EXT. AN ABANDONED MARINA - DAY

THE SIGN gallops across the grass of A HARBOUR PARK towards the
water where A FEW DERELICT BOATS sway in the WIND.

Slowly, THE SOUND OF A MOTOR FADES IN. Check.

9 EXT. THE MARINA (CLOSER ANGLE) - DAY

A FISHING BOATS, old and sea-worn, chugs into the harbour.

10 EXT. THE MARINA (CLOSE ON THE FISHING BOAT) - DAY

There are people on board, THREE MEN AND TWO WOMEN. They look
like guerilleros from somewhere in Latin America. They're
heavily armed, unshaven, covered with months worth of jungle
crud. They are obviously exhausted. They gaze at the

if you wanna read more than go to the original script this is from the MAN himself so DAY happened 5 years after night so that means they all fall in the same universe and timeline... EAT MY SHORTS BUTT HEADS AND NON BELIEVERS... oh and if this is already been brought up and im a tard please delete this thread i was just to lazy to search for the time line thread...:elol: peace

DEAD BEAT
09-Jan-2007, 09:58 PM
fuuuck dude writing a novel?:sneaky:

Shadowofthedead
09-Jan-2007, 10:05 PM
no thats just one page that i copied and pasted so that one could see it wasnt fake or bull**** just trying to prove a point... it may not be the original idea of romero to have a dictating time line or to include this in the orginal script but what is written is law and he is god of his undead universe so it is so it shall be:mad:

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2007, 10:22 PM
The original script ... the 5 years thing was part of the whole epic GAR had in mind.

The script had to be completely changed and the original epic was lost, and hence the much shorter period of time (relatively speaking) since the zombie outbreak.

The original script having one line saying five years has no bearing on the actual time setting of the actual filmed Day of the Dead.

A simple study of the actual film shows multiple signs that it's months after, at best one year. Also, Land of the Dead is three years after the outbreak.

It's been discussed before several times at great length.

Shadowofthedead
09-Jan-2007, 10:26 PM
i feel real stupid guess i shouldnt have drank a budweiser before cruising the page... flame away please... oh and to you minion thank you... damn GAR for not making the film in the the beauty of the original script... oh well will shoot myself now seein how hundreds of people now think im an assss hopefully i wont come back to eat you:evil:

HLS
10-Jan-2007, 12:02 AM
i feel real stupid guess i shouldnt have drank a budweiser before cruising the page... flame away please... oh and to you minion thank you... damn GAR for not making the film in the the beauty of the original script... oh well will shoot myself now seein how hundreds of people now think im an assss hopefully i wont come back to eat you:evil:

No your not an ass. MZ is a good man. I am sure no harm was ment. Just everyone here likes to debate.:D

EvilFlyingCow
10-Jan-2007, 12:18 AM
Not only is this script not the same movie that was filmed, but it also says nothing about Night. It just says "Five years since the dead first walked." That doesn't mean that it had been five years since Night of the Living Dead. All it means is that this script starts off in a universe where it had been five years since the dead first walked.

Brubaker
10-Jan-2007, 04:07 AM
Reading that script you posted, I'd have expected that trash cans and mannequins would have been knocked over much sooner than five years in. Just like I wouldn't expect many bills to be blowing through the wind in the vicinity of a bank. Oh, I find it hard to believe that a hanging corpse would drop at that very point in time. I know Romero wrote the script but many of those subtle events meant to set the mood should have happened long before then (five years).

10-Jan-2007, 05:33 AM
In the opening of Day, we all know there is a newspaper telling us of events. This could not have been printed much after the dead started walking, so how old is it? How long would a newspaper last in a florida street and still maintain that look? It was sunbleached, but no way was it five years old!

Deadman_Deluxe
10-Jan-2007, 04:26 PM
In the opening of Day, we all know there is a newspaper telling us of events...so how old is it?

Roughly three months, but open to serious debate only between two to six months.

Either way, not even close to five years old.

MoonSylver
10-Jan-2007, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=Shadowofthedead;61136]damn GAR for not making the film in the the beauty of the original script... [QUOTE]

Not his fault. The original script AS WRITTEN would have cost FAR more money than the producers financing the picture were willing &/or able to spend. Thus George had the (painful) task of going back to almost square one & turning in a scaled down re-write, and very quickly too, as by the time the 1st draft was turned in & rejected the shooting start date was rapidly approaching.

bassman
10-Jan-2007, 06:55 PM
Not his fault. The original script AS WRITTEN would have cost FAR more money than the producers financing the picture were willing &/or able to spend. Thus George had the (painful) task of going back to almost square one & turning in a scaled down re-write, and very quickly too, as by the time the 1st draft was turned in & rejected the shooting start date was rapidly approaching.

Not 100% true. He could have made his original script. The producers were willing to put up the larger portion of money but only if he gave them an "R" rating rather than an "unrated". Romero didn't want to numb it down to an "R" rating so he opted to take less money and make an unrated film. He had to shorten it down to keep the heavy gore. I believe the price differences were 7 million for a rated film and 3 for unrated. Somewhere in that general area.

Ultimately, I'm glad he took the smaller portion and made the film that is today. True, I would love to see his original "epic" vision, but if it were rated we wouldn't have gotten some of the best on-screen special effects ever created like we have with the the existing film.:)

kortick
11-Jan-2007, 12:27 AM
I for one feel that it is a shame
that the original script wasnt made

what a great film that would have been

it is not suprisong that GAR left laurel as
a result of this

we all missed out on the epic ending that he had planned

maybe Diary will make up for this all...

Danny
11-Jan-2007, 12:40 AM
In the opening of Day, we all know there is a newspaper telling us of events. This could not have been printed much after the dead started walking, so how old is it? How long would a newspaper last in a florida street and still maintain that look? It was sunbleached, but no way was it five years old!

yeah but thats just for dramatic effect, remember in resident evil (the movie and the games) there were copys of the raccoon times saying "the dead walk", how could they do that if t-virus fueled creatures were wrecking the city?

EvilNed
11-Jan-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry, I must have missed something, but where the hell does it say that it takes place 5 years after Night? :rockbrow:

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2007, 05:55 PM
Err ... ... the original script. :p:)

EvilNed
11-Jan-2007, 07:30 PM
Err ... ... the original script. :p:)

No, this is what it says:

"FIVE YEARS...
SINCE THE DEAD FIRST WALKED"

bassman
11-Jan-2007, 08:35 PM

"FIVE YEARS...

:rockbrow:

What's your point here? That it's just 5 years since and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Night or Dawn?

hadrian0117
12-Jan-2007, 12:48 AM
Not 100% true. He could have made his original script. The producers were willing to put up the larger portion of money but only if he gave them an "R" rating rather than an "unrated". Romero didn't want to numb it down to an "R" rating so he opted to take less money and make an unrated film. He had to shorten it down to keep the heavy gore. I believe the price differences were 7 million for a rated film and 3 for unrated. Somewhere in that general area...

And this was way before the days of unrated DVDs. Plus I don't think the original script was as good as what was filmed. The ending had to much religious symbolism for a Dead movie.

Philly_SWAT
12-Jan-2007, 01:07 AM

"FIVE YEARS...
And as we all know, the dead walking is a very common thing to happen. No way at all it had any connection to GARs other films.......

EvilNed
12-Jan-2007, 03:30 PM
:rockbrow:

What's your point here? That it's just 5 years since and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Night or Dawn?

The original poster suggested that it's definite proof of the timeline question. But all it proves that Day takes place sometime after the dead started to walk. I think most of us already knew that much.

And as we all know, the dead walking is a very common thing to happen. No way at all it had any connection to GARs other films.......

You'd be surprised how many times the dead started to walk in the movies. Infact, it's just about as common as a guy looking curiously alot like John Wayne walks onto the screen dressed like a cowboy.

Philly_SWAT
12-Jan-2007, 06:35 PM
You'd be surprised how many times the dead started to walk in the movies. Infact, it's just about as common as a guy looking curiously alot like John Wayne walks onto the screen dressed like a cowboy.
The difference is, John Wayne was an actor, who commonly played a cowboy. Cowboys are a part of our history, and actually walked around here on the earth in the past (as well as now). As far as I know, the dead have never walked in our own history. To be nice, I will save you the trouble of having to reply..

Reality vs. Fiction. You cant compare them.

EvilNed
13-Jan-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, then replace "cowboy" with "ninja" and "John Wayne" with "Sonny Chiba", and I have a case again.

Philly_SWAT
13-Jan-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, then replace "cowboy" with "ninja" and "John Wayne" with "Sonny Chiba", and I have a case again.
LOL! I dont see how!