View Full Version : Gabe Newell - "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels"

Neil
16-Jan-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/Valve-boss-blows-a-gasket-over-PS3

bassman
16-Jan-2007, 03:23 PM
This doesn't really surprise me. I've only heard negative things about the PS3. I don't quite agree with him on the Wii out selling the 360, though. It will do good, no doubt. But I doubt it will win the market over the 360.

capncnut
16-Jan-2007, 04:36 PM
1. Don't write off the P$3 just yet, wait until it gets a good exclusive and then see.
2. As much as I want to see the 360 win, I think the Wii will sneak it.
3. Either way, Microsoft are a hell of a lot closer to dominating than they were with the original Xbox. :thumbsup:

Danny
16-Jan-2007, 04:38 PM
1. Don't write off the P$3 just yet, wait until it gets a good exclusive and then see.
3. Either way, Microsoft are a hell of a lot closer to dominating than they were with the original Xbox.

1. aye aside from the price and the aroogance level the biggest gripe that i, as a ps2 owner has with the ps3 is the lack of any exclusive games of any real high calibre, they were using killzone 2 as a selling point for gods sake!
2. i dunno i think its gonna be damn close
3.aint that the truth.

DeadJonas190
17-Jan-2007, 03:29 AM
3. Either way, Microsoft are a hell of a lot closer to dominating than they were with the original Xbox. :thumbsup:

Wasn't Resistance: Fall of Man supposed to be thier good exclusive? I hear that is a really good game, but that Gears of War destroys it in every way possible. This new game called Army of Two looks incredible, but in no way, shape or form will I buy a PS3 for one game.

As for 2 and 3, I agree.

capncnut
17-Jan-2007, 04:40 AM
in no way, shape or form will I buy a PS3 for one game.

We wouldn't no but do you want to know what the scary thing is? A WHOLE legion of misguided morons will. They'll buy all that bull about it's greater processing power and it's phoney promise of "outlasting the competition way into the next generation of consoles". Heck, I even know a bunch of assholes who'd fork out 500 quid just to play Gran Turismo 5!

Danny
17-Jan-2007, 10:00 AM
err...halo anyone?

bassman
17-Jan-2007, 01:03 PM
err...halo anyone?

Very good point, man.

And if they first release the next GTA on 360 like I've heard....that can only help.

Plus that Ghostbusters game! If it even gets completed, that is.:confused: I know....that wouldn't help the system. But I would like it!:D

raym
17-Jan-2007, 05:30 PM
I might get a PS3 when the price goes down...which may be in a few years lol.

For now, I'll look online for a PS2 emulator ^_^

Tricky
17-Jan-2007, 06:06 PM
I wish people would give it a chance instead of the endless bitching about it.

axlish
17-Jan-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm starting to see PS3s linger on store shelves. The only Wii I've seen so far is in my living room. Considering that PS3 under shipped, this is not good news.

Terran
17-Jan-2007, 08:45 PM
I wish people would give it a chance instead of the endless bitching about it.

If people did that no system ever would fail....

Tricky
17-Jan-2007, 09:20 PM
If people did that no system ever would fail....

I enjoyed my Atari jaguar and that console was a bigger failure than the PS3 will be (if it fails)

Terran
17-Jan-2007, 09:21 PM
yeah....so if people gave Atari a chance it would not have failed....

Its like if enough people buy any system the games will come

CoinReturn
17-Jan-2007, 09:22 PM
This new game called Army of Two looks incredible, but in no way, shape or form will I buy a PS3 for one game.

Its coming to 360 too, did you download the trailer for it on Live? It looks like its gonna take co-op games to the next level. Should be an awesome experience.

Cody
21-Jan-2007, 05:44 AM
i converted to a 360 from a sony. i may buy a ps3 when it gets cheaper

Danny
21-Jan-2007, 12:27 PM
yeah price IS a factor but its games that wouldm sell me that console, now if they whent ahead with that remake of final fnatasy 7 then the ps3 would sell ****loads, at least in japan.

EvilNed
21-Jan-2007, 02:18 PM
1. Gabe Newell was not sexy, man.
2. The PS3 sucks, and I've been saying it for a long time that it will. I hope this is the last venture Sony does into the video gaming business.

Rottedfreak
21-Jan-2007, 02:40 PM
Their reign is at an end, this sort of thing happens I wouldn't have thought PSone could beat the Saturn or even the N64 about ten years ago.

axlish
21-Jan-2007, 03:10 PM
Didn't Sony's reign end when the first XBox came out? I wasn't even into gaming that much at the time but I knew if I got a system, it'd be the xbox. The ps2 wasn't even on my radar. They only exclusive I cared about at the time was Twisted Metal, but that franchise had already bit the dust on a previous console.

EvilNed
21-Jan-2007, 07:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there was no clear reigning champion during the "Second Generation".

Haha, that sounded like some strange wierd sci-fi fairytale. "D'ya all remember the era of the Second Generation? Ah, those were dangerous times..."

DeadJonas190
22-Jan-2007, 01:25 AM
Didn't Sony's reign end when the first XBox came out? I wasn't even into gaming that much at the time but I knew if I got a system, it'd be the xbox. The ps2 wasn't even on my radar. They only exclusive I cared about at the time was Twisted Metal, but that franchise had already bit the dust on a previous console.

If I'm not mistaken, there was no clear reigning champion during the "Second Generation".
[/I]

Nope, there was a clear winner and it was Sony as sad as that may be.
This last generation of game systems, the PS2 was on top and there really was no competition that came close. I believe this is why Sony had such a big head about the PS3. The PS2 is the top selling console of all time, selling more than 105 million units, not even the NES sold those numbers. The only gaming system that has sold more units is the original Gameboy, but you must take into consideration that the original Gameboy was around for a very long time before it was replaced with the upgraded versions. The PS2 sold that many in less than 6 years, it really is amazing if you think about it.

On the other hand, I wonder how many of those units were due to the fact of the original design dying on people and them just buying a new one. I know people who have gone through 3 of them with the original design and I have talked to a guy who says he had 5 bust on him, but I'm not so sure how true that was. Either way, they sold a hell of a lot of systems.

Its coming to 360 too, did you download the trailer for it on Live? It looks like its gonna take co-op games to the next level. Should be an awesome experience.

Well, that definatly locks it, I am buying the 360 this summer for sure... but not just for that, that game and many others like Dead Rising, Saints Row, Fable 2, Gears of War, and Halo 2. Sounds like a good line up to me.

Danny
22-Jan-2007, 01:44 AM
On the other hand, I wonder how many of those units were due to the fact of the original design dying on people and them just buying a new one. I know people who have gone through 3 of them with the original design and I have talked to a guy who says he had 5 bust on him, but I'm not so sure how true that was. Either way, they sold a hell of a lot of systems

yeah, but thats a testament to the sheer amount of awesoem games the ps2 had ,especially if your willing to buy 5 of the buggers.

Maitreya
25-Jan-2007, 05:06 PM
Well the PS3 is definitely slipping, I talked to a guy at EB games at the local mall, the following is a direct transcript of our conversation (sort of):

Me: So how are the Wii's selling?
EB guy: They're in and out
Me: How about the PS3's?
EB guy: We can't sell them

My diagnosis is a definite ownage. And another bad review to add to the pile.

Oh yea, I was wondering if there's even a good review from anywhere besides Sony owned magazines/websites and Khardis.

Danny
25-Jan-2007, 05:22 PM
even though theres no clear winner of the consoel war yet, im pleased to see its obvious that nintey's royally kicked sonys ass "THATS FOR THE N64!":lol:

Rottedfreak
25-Jan-2007, 06:58 PM
If you think the N64 and Gamecube were failures for Nintendo think again, The Playstation was marketed to people now called casual gamers, it brought gaming to millions who were previously put off.
When the N64 launched, by comparison it was a failure, but it was still a massive success for Nintendo.
Same goes for Gamecubes run. Nintendo's always come out tops when it comes to software sales too, all this BS from Sony or Microsoft fanboys saying they should do a Sega is absolute crap.

Danny
26-Jan-2007, 12:39 PM
as much as i love the n64 and my cube it really did fail compared to the ps-one and two, look in any gamestation and cubes are 30 quid each and the games are still like 35, ps2's are 80 to 110 quid and the games are 4 for 20 pounds, same goes for the xbox, the cube was a great console but didnt do anywere as good as the xbox or ps2. though im glad to see the wii has turned that around, trouble is they gotta be careful not to focus on just the motion sensing or the games could get stale and linear fast and i hope that doesnt happen.

capncnut
26-Jan-2007, 02:39 PM
as much as i love the n64 and my cube it really did fail compared to the ps-one and two, look in any gamestation and cubes are 30 quid each and the games are still like 35, ps2's are 80 to 110 quid and the games are 4 for 20 pounds, same goes for the xbox, the cube was a great console but didnt do anywere as good as the xbox or ps2. though im glad to see the wii has turned that around, trouble is they gotta be careful not to focus on just the motion sensing or the games could get stale and linear fast and i hope that doesnt happen.

I hope that don't happen either, I've been making friends with my Wii lately and I'm loving every minute. As for the P$2 price, I think it's awful, even second hand they are 70 quid! If they lowered the price, it might inject some extra cash into the sinking ship that is $ony.

The other day, a friend of mine went into GameStation and picked up a second hand Xbox with Halo, KOTOR and that mad Broken Sword game for 60 notes - bargain! :thumbsup:

EvilNed
26-Jan-2007, 02:50 PM
Nintendo has always been cheaper than it's competitors. And it looks like even if N64 couldn't compete with PS, and the Gamecube didn't do quite as well as PS2; Wii will outsell Ps3. Probably by 3 or 4-to-1.

Chaos
26-Jan-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, i'm a bit disappointed with my PS3 thus far, since all the exclusives keep getting delayed. But I remember buying the 360 and waiting months for the release of quality games. It's only been a couple of months and when MotorStorm, Killzone, Fall of Liberty, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Haze and JC's Psychopath hit the stores, things will definitely start to look up.

Don't write off Sony yet. The Playstation 2 is still the top selling console of '06. All the proceeds will definitely go to further the development of exclusive titles for the PS3.

I don't mean to be blunt, but are you stupid? The PS2 crushed the competition and was still the top selling console of '06, even when competing against the next-gen systems.

The 360 is faring well against the PS3, no question about it. But it will never attain the status achieved by the ps2 (which happened to be the weakest console of last gen, by the way).

Danny
12-Feb-2007, 07:09 AM
just something i should point out, looking around on ebay it appears the price for ps3's has dropped from £1,500 to £300, now if there was some decent games on the console then it would be totally be worth three hundred quid, i actually could have bought one, but then like i said earlier, its the games ,not the specs of the console that make it sell and the playstation 3 doesnt have any exclusive ones yet, hell speaking as a ps-one and ps-two owner for the last 10 years i cant believe how sony's let its customers down, i mean if it takes people months to get a game up to working on your system and theres difficultys making games for it, then it doesnt matter how powerful it is, no-ones gonna buy it.
one point for that is oblivion, people who waited for the ps3 version are only just getting it and without any of the updates, if thats gonna be a trend, i feel sorry for anyone who shelled out the notes for one cus thats just freakin' wrong.:mad:

capncnut
12-Feb-2007, 07:17 PM
speaking as a ps-one and ps-two owner for the last 10 years i cant believe how sony's let its customers down, i mean if it takes people months to get a game up to working on your system and theres difficultys making games for it, then it doesnt matter how powerful it is, no-ones gonna buy it.

Precisely the reason why I ain't shelling out £499 for it. Besides, once you play an Xbox or 360 game, there's no turning back. When the $ony were yapping on about games like Killzone (a deliberate - and failed - attempt to cash in on Halo), Microsoft were rolling out the big guns like Half Life 2 and KOTOR 2.

one point for that is oblivion, people who waited for the ps3 version are only just getting it and without any of the updates.

Really, I heard it was coming out for the P$3 with the Knights of the Nine expansion pack. Well, if that's how they are gonna treat their loyal fans then boy, are they gonna learn quick.