PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if this happened at work.

HLS
17-Jan-2007, 01:51 AM
I am in one of those situations in which I was told they want to "promote" me at work to quality control since my performance is outstanding and I am one of the very top performers in my department. The catch is they do not want to pay me more. I feel if they want to move me to quality control where I monitor and grade other peoples performance and work that it should be at a higher pay rate and be a real promotion. In my opinion I will be a bump up above the rest if I have the power to pass or fail people on the job. I will have to work later hours and be expected to work later if need be. Now should I take it or not? In one aspect it will be a good thing for i will learn a new skill which looks good on a resume but then again why have an extra headache if I will not be paid more?

Debbieangel
17-Jan-2007, 02:13 AM
It sounds like its a step in the right direction or is it one of those no win situations? Like the boss passing on something he/she dont want to do?
I would say in my opinion if its going to help you down the road take it! Only you can decide you are the one in the office.... I mean you could really make some people angry if you give them a bad grade in performance..know what I mean? Something to think about!
I hope I helped ya!

Huescacho
17-Jan-2007, 02:48 AM
It's a difficult question with a difficult answer... there are two possible answers...
A- If you accept the situation, you win prestige and go up one step in your job. When the time is passed and thy see that you do your work well, you can tell them that you must have more money because you are very useful for the company.
B- Accept the situation until you have two or three months of experience, and then, you could go to another company. If you do this, you could have more money.

Philly_SWAT
17-Jan-2007, 09:03 AM
In my opinion I will be a bump up above the rest if I have the power to pass or fail people on the job.Well, is this only your opinion, or a company standard? Did others in the past who had this position get more money than everyone else, or did they also not receive a pay raise? Regardless of the true nature of the position, if the company views it as a lateral move, than the issue of more pay is moot. Then it boils down to do you want to learn/do the work in the new area, or would you prefer the work you are already doing? If you have to work extra at times, does that mean you also get to work less hours at other times, or would you basically just have to work more hours and never get that "paid back"? Would the new position require you to have more or less supervision than you do now, and whichever the answer, would you like that or not?

Something from my own experience for you to keep in mind. At my job, I took a promotion 3 years ago. At the time, I had only been an employee for a year. Other people commented, in a good natured sort of way, but with some truth to it as well, that they were upset why I got promoted after only one year when others in my position when they were around 5 years before they got promoted. Part of it was luck, that the position just happened to open then, and part of it was the fact that I had shown myself to be a valuable, capable employee. But I can tell you now, that even though I got more money, the extra headaches of having to deal with higher-ups in the company who at times dont seem to have a clue is very frustrating. Knowing what I know now, I would not take the promotion if I had the chance. The problem is, now that I am in it, I wouldnt want to give up the extra money, and there would be a stigma if I were to say I wanted to step down. One of the unfortunate ways that money f*cks with you. I enjoy "being the boss", and think that I make good decisions, but the frustration of the job just sucks. And not frustration at the actual job itself, but dealing with people who I wouldnt have to deal with as much if I didnt get the promotion.

Dont know if this helps at all or not, but this is definately something for you to think long about. Weigh all the pros and cons, and as much as possible, try to keep your desire for professional happiness above monetary concerns. That can be hard in this world, but maybe you will live longer and happier if you make you right decision.

Burbank
17-Jan-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, happened to me. More responsibility but no more pay.

I saw it as getting experience that I could then use to go on to get a better job.

HLS
17-Jan-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, happened to me. More responsibility but no more pay.

I saw it as getting experience that I could then use to go on to get a better job.

Well it looks like they may tell me to do it and I have no choice in the matter *sigh* in their eyes it is a task that needs to be done and I do not like it I can work somewhere else. But they have not decided for sure if they will force it on me. I will know by friday:(

I had this happen to me when I worked in JCpenny. I worked in a small store where the person that ran the Jewelry departent was a supervisor at supervisor pay. They decided to eliminate the position when the person left the company but the work and responsibilities had to be done. I had the training so I was move to take her place doing the same responsibilities but not the same pay as the person that previously had the position, they basically merged the department with another as the excuse but the supervisor and manager of the department the jewelry was merged into had not a clue how to run the jewelry department so I did all the work. It really sucked.

Sorry If my typing looks bad, I had 3 hours sleep last night and can barely type. lol