PDA

View Full Version : pee for wii

Neil
15-Jan-2007, 11:34 AM
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying, and that was the last that anyone had heard from her.

Eyebiter
15-Jan-2007, 11:50 AM
No doubt her family has been contacted by various trial lawyers. The radio station who sponsored the contest will be sued.

Bongholio
15-Jan-2007, 12:04 PM
survival of the fittest (or in the least the "not that dumb")

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2007, 12:13 PM
Literally just read about this on ActionTrip, indeed, what a bloody stupid contest ... or someone took it too seriously. I thought the contest is about how long you can go without a pii for a Wii rather than how much water you can load into your gut.

Surely a simple 'contestants each drink a litre of water and then see who takes a pii last' would have sufficed?

Damn ... I bet someone's gonna be on the unemployment line tomorrow. :eek:

But also - how much water did this lady drink to poison herself, I mean ... damn! How long, not how much!

Maitreya
15-Jan-2007, 12:26 PM
Yea seriously, I've drank a ****load of water, but never have I gotten sick off it..

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2007, 12:33 PM
Chances are the station won't be liable if they had her sign a waiver, which I am sure they did. However, the question is will it hold up in court? Basically a smart lawyer will rip that waiver to shreds because you can bet your ass they(radio station) are not experts in the medical field and probably should have consulted a physcian in regards to the contest before executing (No pun intended) said contest.

If the autopsy results are confirmed as water poisoning, then they may be held liable to an extent, however, this woman worked in the medical field as well and should have consulted about any dangers before participating. I hate to be the one to rain on the parade, but the lawyers have to show malice on the part of the radio station, and of course everyone knows they did not set up the contest with the intent of killing someone.

A few things will happen.

1. She signed the waiver (if one was made avilable) the court dismisses the case against the radio station, plantiffs file and appeal and they get a sympathetic judge whom reinstates the suit.

2. The radio offers to settle and be done with it (most likely scenario) a stipulation by the plantiffs lawyers will probably be that all future contests will be pre-investigated before commencing including what medical health risks will be involved if any.

3. The station fights the lawsuit, it goes to court for trial they win because the lady knew what she was getting into, and any possible health risks have to be considered when any type of physical activity is included. The station proves beyond a reasonable doubt there was no malice intended... which is easy, even without the medical check before contest.

4. The station takes it to court, the plantiffs get a sympathetic jury and judge and the station owners payout a few million bucks to the family of the victim. All future contents involving potential physical harm to participants is either monitored, or banned.

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 12:33 PM
So, just who in the f**k thought that holding this contest was a good idea?

slickwilly13
17-Jan-2007, 04:39 PM
People can be really stupid at times. I have been keeping tabs on this for the past couple of days. They fired those people at the radio, too.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164262.html

MikePizzoff
17-Jan-2007, 04:50 PM
Crud, I could have sworn I posted the CNN article on this that I found a couple days ago. Oh well, kudos to you.

Andy
17-Jan-2007, 05:11 PM
merged with a similar topic :p

slickwilly13
17-Jan-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the merger.

coma
17-Jan-2007, 05:32 PM
Chances are the station won't be liable if they had her sign a waiver, which I am sure they did. However, the question is will it hold up in court? Basically a smart lawyer will rip that waiver to shreds because you can bet your ass they(radio station) are not experts in the medical field and probably should have consulted a physcian in regards to the contest before executing (No pun intended) said contest..
A waiver doesn't mean anything if you dont have informed consent. It was the stations responsibility to know. I didnt know that you could get water poisoning, but I didnt hold a stupid contest. Its not the water drinking, its the no peeing I think. The station should get sued and lose big time.

raym
17-Jan-2007, 05:34 PM
Aww, man.

Poor girl.

MikePizzoff
17-Jan-2007, 06:45 PM
Its not the water drinking, its the no peeing I think.

No, you can still OD on water even if you are urinating frequently.

7feet
17-Jan-2007, 10:07 PM
The problem is that that much water essentially dilutes your body's electrolyte levels, in this case to a point where cellular metabolism (particularly nerve cells) gets completely bolloxed. If it was, say, gatorade instead of water, or at least something that would maintain the electrolytes, she'd almost certainly still be walking around. I agree on the informed consent bit, I think the stations lack of due diligence (and I had seen something that some of the people fired were aware that this could be a problem) could open them up to being crushed.

Terran
18-Jan-2007, 12:17 AM
People are dying to get their hands on a Wii

Bwhaha

capncnut
18-Jan-2007, 07:03 AM
Now that's just taking the piss. :D

Eyebiter
19-Jan-2007, 02:38 PM
update - 10 people at station fired, the family is suing, local police considering manslaughter charges

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyid=2007-01-19T135147Z_01_N18251016_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-RADIODEATH.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Danny
19-Jan-2007, 02:51 PM
its a damn shame, it was just somethign to do for fun and how many people are getting screwed over?, someones dead, there familys lost them, the organisers lost there jobs and are probably gonna get some hard time, all just for the sake of a console.
doesnt it suck how something can turn so bad when it starts out as an innocent contest?

slickwilly13
22-Jan-2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164487.html

family suing radio station