PDA

View Full Version : Best Zombie Movies

ash
17-Jan-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm trying to find good zombie movies to watch outside the Dead series. I've already seen Romero's films, and I've also seen Return of the Living Dead, the crappy resident Evil movies, Shaun of the Dead (Awesome) and the uber-crappy Dead and Breakfast. I'm already about to get Dead-Alive, AKA Braindead, and Dead Next Door. I can't get Video Dead or the remake of night of the Living Dead, so those are out, and I've already seen the Dawn remake. I don' want to see Day of the Dead 2, yet, as it is a total crap-fest, or so I've heard, and I won't see it for the Bad Movie value untill I really want to. So, any ideas?

Danny
17-Jan-2007, 11:59 PM
even though its kinda between zombie and ...something else, 28 days later is still a film ive yet to hear a romero fan say they didnt like.
also i gotta name drop dj and lou's very own deadlands, whilst the ending is a bit of a cop-out its part of a 2-parter, (i think) so its worth checking out.
zombie flesh eaters is allright, and if your an amatuer film maker yourself that zombie v shark scene is all the more impressive.
versus is a movie about yakuza style zombies (its asain cinema which some people, god knows why get touchy about subtitles:rolleyes: ) with martial arts instead of the usual nuts with guns, which makes a good change.
but if you prefer nuts with guns theres allways undead, a sweet aussie one.
theres wild zero if you want a "huh"? level of crazy but if you want the true "WTF" factor theres a flick, though the zombies are only in it for one musical number you gotta see just becuase its so screwed up, the happiness of the katakuris you will lose your fragile world perspective after that one.:lol:

Dysnomia
18-Jan-2007, 12:24 AM
Dellamorte Dellamore is great.

18-Jan-2007, 12:48 AM
Dellamorte Dellamore is great.

absolutely agree 100%, but it'd be easier to find it named as "Cemetary Man" (w/Rupert Everett, 1994).

Do not waste your money on Dead Next Door. I may catch some **** for saying this, but Day of the Dead 2: Contagium was a better movie than Dead next Door.

There's also a little zombie cartoon called City of Rott. Seems like flash animation or what not... just be careful how much money you spend, chances are it won't be worth it.

ash
18-Jan-2007, 02:11 AM
absolutely agree 100%, but it'd be easier to find it named as "Cemetary Man" (w/Rupert Everett, 1994).

Do not waste your money on Dead Next Door. I may catch some **** for saying this, but Day of the Dead 2: Contagium was a better movie than Dead next Door.

There's also a little zombie cartoon called City of Rott. Seems like flash animation or what not... just be careful how much money you spend, chances are it won't be worth it.

I've heard people saying Dead next Door isn't great, but I still want to see it. The zombies are extremely creative, with the caged mouths and such.Oh, and I've already seen 28 Days Later (Great also) and the I Am Legend movies (Omega Man, Last Man on Earth). I can't wait for the Will Smith one, even though it'll be more I, Robot than Ali. Also, Cemetary Man is already on my list. I love the idea of the plant-ish zombies.

Oh, and I've got Netflix, so I'm not wasting any money.

rawrOTD
18-Jan-2007, 03:20 AM
you should get wild zero
by all means!
best movie in the world if your a rockabilly or punk fan
and a zombie fan

also biozombie is great, Zombi 2,
i liked th dead next door personally
the hearrt was there
and if given a budget im sure hed have an epic
the make up ws the best part

junk is good, VS. is good

if your a campy guy id head straight for hell of the living dead

Shemp
18-Jan-2007, 05:11 AM
LET SLEEPING CORPSES (1974). Once you get past the slow pacing (in the first half) and some sketchy dubbing, the film delivers some intense gore (by makeup artist Gianetto De Rossi) and tense scenes.

capncnut
18-Jan-2007, 08:24 AM
28 Days Later is the best of the non-zombie zombie movies, Zombie Flesh Eaters (or Zombi 2) is technically the best of the Italian zombie flicks, although I do prefer The Beyond and Cemetary Man. You really must try to get your hands on Savini's NOTLD remake, it should be available anywhere and it's absolutely brilliant.

Danny
18-Jan-2007, 12:00 PM
plaga zombie:zona mutante.

EvilNed
18-Jan-2007, 04:07 PM
LET SLEEPING CORPSES (1974). Once you get past the slow pacing (in the first half) and some sketchy dubbing, the film delivers some intense gore (by makeup artist Gianetto De Rossi) and tense scenes.

That's actually one of few Italian produced Zombie films where you can get the original score without any dubbing in it. It was filmed in England, with english actors.

In any case, it's a great flick. More famously known as Breakfast (Or The Living Dead) at the Manchester Morgue.

Besides, I think that the gore effects in the films aren't that numerous and it's more of a suspensefull zombie film. Definetly one of the best out there.

ash
18-Jan-2007, 04:44 PM
28 Days Later is the best of the non-zombie zombie movies, Zombie Flesh Eaters (or Zombi 2) is technically the best of the Italian zombie flicks, although I do prefer The Beyond and Cemetary Man. You really must try to get your hands on Savini's NOTLD remake, it should be available anywhere and it's absolutely brilliant.

Dammit, I want to get the Savini remake, but Netflix doesn't have it for some reason. AAARG!!! Also, isn't Zombie 2 just the Italian cut of Dawn of the Dead? I thought that the only difference was that some of the best scenes were cut out (Helecopter Decapitation, anyone?). Are there any extra scens added? Oh, and I already said that I've seen (I also recorded it on a crappy VHS) 28 Days Later, so that's not on my "To Watch" list.

bassman
18-Jan-2007, 05:04 PM
Just go to Walmart or something like that. NOTLD90 can be found basically anywhere for real cheap, too. In fact, if you're desperate to see it soon.....check through the ENCORE movie channels if you have them. They've been playing it lately.

ash
18-Jan-2007, 05:12 PM
Just go to Walmart or something like that. NOTLD90 can be found basically anywhere for real cheap, too. In fact, if you're desperate to see it soon.....check through the ENCORE movie channels if you have them. They've been playing it lately.

I've checked Wall-Mart and Best Buy. Circuit City is where I need to check next, followed by Suncoast Video. I don't expect I will find it at either, though.

DEAD BEAT
18-Jan-2007, 06:06 PM
wow, i didnt know Night90 was so hard to find.

i found my copy pretty easy,also i will agree that 28 days later was pretty cool!!

dead next door i have on vhs,id say to see it at least once but that might be enough for anybody!
alot of what i would say has been mentioned,but if your a combo of rock music and zombie lover like myselfi would definitetly say check out if you can find it:
HARD ROCK ZOMBIES!!

some people may not agree with me, it does have a little cheese in it but you will want to add it to your collection,
good luck finding it in stores i just got it by chance for christmas on dvd from my aunt not realizing what she had bought me only knowing i was a horror fan,b4 that i had the vhs copy which i had to rent and never return because i couldnt buy it anywhere!!!:D

triste realtà
18-Jan-2007, 09:38 PM
I love my Fulci DVDs as much as my Romero's. It's all about atmosphere and personality no matter how well these films are made, for me. Especially music plays a big part. So I recommend the big 4: City of the Living Dead, Zombie, The Beyond and House by the Cemetery.

Philly_SWAT
18-Jan-2007, 10:54 PM
I think that the Japanese film "Versus" was pretty entertaining. That is, if you like zombies who are very proficient at Karate!

capncnut
19-Jan-2007, 01:32 AM
Also, isn't Zombie 2 just the Italian cut of Dawn of the Dead? I thought that the only difference was that some of the best scenes were cut out (Helecopter Decapitation, anyone?). Are there any extra scens added?

OK first up, Zombi was the official title of the Italian version of Dawn. Yeah, some cool sequences are missing but there's 14 minutes of extra footage not seen in the other two versions. Worth a dig definitely.

Now Zombi 2 was an Italian movie that was a blatant cash in on Dawn (or Zombi as it's known over there, confusing huh? :confused:) by promoting it as an un-official sequel. It has NOTHING to do with Dawn but is a pretty darn good film nonetheless. Great gore fx and a brutal hospital battle at the end make it a worthy purchase. Hey, where else can you see an underwater fight sequence between a zombie and a SHARK! :lol:

DEAD BEAT
19-Jan-2007, 03:22 AM
ya know all this talk about Zombie 2 is making me want to buy it again!

i recently lost my vhs copy i had for years and i miss it...

think i'll buy the dvd hum... yeah!!!:D

that flick isnt too bad i must say!;)

triste realtà
19-Jan-2007, 08:38 PM
Reanimator and Evil Dead. Were those mentioned? And Invisible Invaders from 1959. Aliens inhabit dead bodies in that one.

Huescacho
20-Jan-2007, 03:05 PM
I think that a good movie could be "Redneck Zombies". It was very funny!. Another good movie, 28 day later... There wasn't zombes, but the "victims" of the plague was like zombies...

ash
20-Jan-2007, 06:28 PM
Reanimator and Evil Dead. Were those mentioned? And Invisible Invaders from 1959. Aliens inhabit dead bodies in that one.

I am NAMED AFTER the main character from Evil Dead. My location is "S-Mart". I am even wearing an Evil Dead shirt right now. You do the math.

@CapnKnut: Ok, I remember now. 've seen parts of Zombi 2 on Google Video, like the shark and the splinter-in-eye scenes. Very nice. I may put that on my queue.

@Huescacho: I already said I've seen 28 Days Later.

Huescacho
20-Jan-2007, 08:01 PM
Soooorry!. Resident Evil 1 & 2 are very good. The japanesse movies are very good too.

DEAD BEAT
20-Jan-2007, 08:23 PM
I think that a good movie could be "Redneck Zombies". It was very funny!. Another good movie, 28 day later... There wasn't zombes, but the "victims" of the plague was like zombies...

REDNECK ZOMBIES?

are you high? that movie stunk so bad i had to disinfect my bedroom after watching it,it was so cheesy i started my own factory!

it was really stupid espescially the dude with the name Ellemay!!

:D

Huescacho
20-Jan-2007, 08:45 PM
REDNECK ZOMBIES?

are you high? that movie stunk so bad i had to disinfect my bedroom after watching it,it was so cheesy i started my own factory!

it was really stupid espescially the dude with the name Ellemay!!

:D

Jajajajaja!. This movie isn't the 8ª wonder of the world... Good, but this movie has moments very funny!. The fat dude is the funniest!. The mixed of laughs and screems is very good. the people that did the film, worked hard with a count very poor. If they had a lot of money, the movie was in the top ten!.

Danny
20-Jan-2007, 10:45 PM
well you know what they say about different strokes....:)

DEAD BEAT
20-Jan-2007, 11:21 PM
how could you like that trash!!!

it looks like it was shot with a home movie recorder and they seem to top each stupid scene with another!!!

"FUUUUCK ELLEMAY"!!!!lol:D

Dawg
20-Jan-2007, 11:57 PM
I've heard people saying Dead next Door isn't great, but I still want to see it. The zombies are extremely creative, with the caged mouths and such.Oh, and I've already seen 28 Days Later (Great also) and the I Am Legend movies (Omega Man, Last Man on Earth). I can't wait for the Will Smith one, even though it'll be more I, Robot than Ali. Also, Cemetary Man is already on my list. I love the idea of the plant-ish zombies.

Oh, and I've got Netflix, so I'm not wasting any money.

Drop those @$$holes, Netflix, because if you rent a lot, they throttle your mail selections so that it takes longer to receive them. (Read your Terms of Service, it even says that!)

Then join Blockbuster Online. You get the same stuff, but also free in-store movie rentals. Instead of having to drop your mailed selection back in the mail, you can exchange it in-store for a free rental! They enter it in their system and your next selection in your quene will ship a day sooner! (They state the throttling in their TOS as well, but it doesn't seem as if they do it though because I get my selections a lot sooner than Netflix did me back a year or so ago.)

:dead: Dawg

Huescacho
21-Jan-2007, 01:08 PM
how could you like that trash!!!

it looks like it was shot with a home movie recorder and they seem to top each stupid scene with another!!!

"FUUUUCK ELLEMAY"!!!!lol:D

Certainly. I said you yesterday that this movie, was a cheap movie with non professional actors. You know that the money can do miracles... I want't hurt anybody with my answers, but I think that this kind of movies have more merit than the "rich" movies.

ash
22-Jan-2007, 09:29 PM
Soooorry!. Resident Evil 1 & 2 are very good. The japanesse movies are very good too.

THe first was alright, but the second was terrible.

Also, about Netflix, I'm only running on a free trail, so it's cool.

EDIT: ok, I just started watching Dead Next Door. I regretted it. It's not bad enough to be "so bad it's good" like Plan 9 from Outer Space, and it's just terrible, so it's not good. That's really sad, because the concept is amazing. Also, the naming of characters after zombie horror icons is too obvious. "Romero"? "Raimi"? "Savini"? What's next, "Campbell"?

triste realtà
25-Jan-2007, 07:43 PM
I am NAMED AFTER the main character from Evil Dead. My location is "S-Mart". I am even wearing an Evil Dead shirt right now. You do the math.

@CapnKnut: Ok, I remember now. 've seen parts of Zombi 2 on Google Video, like the shark and the splinter-in-eye scenes. Very nice. I may put that on my queue.

@Huescacho: I already said I've seen 28 Days Later.

Sorry, but when avatars and signatures are exploding with graphics like on most message boards, I tend to tune that stuff out and focus on the post. Evil Dead isn't really a zombie movie anyway. I hope you've seen Creepshow.

I think the whole of Zombie (aka Zombi 2) is posted on youtube, along with trailers for probably all the movies mentioned here. Thanks to this thread I'll be buying Zombie Packs 1 & 2 and Hell of the LD either with the Walking Dead 6 pack or the Rats double feature. I'm stoked.:dead:

PS 28 days later sucked mutant rat. :|

ash
25-Jan-2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry, but when avatars and signatures are exploding with graphics like on most message boards, I tend to tune that stuff out and focus on the post. Evil Dead isn't really a zombie movie anyway. I hope you've seen Creepshow.

I know ED isn't a zombie series exactly, but they ARE dead, and they ARE evil.

MontagMOI
25-Jan-2007, 08:23 PM
My personal zombie faves (outside of the Romero flicks) are:

The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue
Nightmare City (Not zombies! I know, i know...but it's the obvious inspiration for 28 Days Later and therefore DOTD 04)*
Dead And Buried
Return Of The Evil Dead
Zombie Flesh Eaters (or Zombi or Zombie 2 or Zombies or whatever)
House By The Cemetary
The Beyond

and i have a bit of a spoft spot for:
Dawn '04 and even the pretty sucky Resident Evil films.

* I appreciate this film sucks balls on almost every level but it is so stupid i actually love it. What it lacks in script, plot, acting, dubbing, direction and scares it kind of makes up for with its almost relentless energy.

Pothatuu
28-Jan-2007, 01:03 PM
Have a look at Undead. I like it....It's not great, but zombies, right?
Anything by Fucili (is that how you spell it?) is a MUST! Zombi 2, City of the Living-Dead...

rawrOTD
29-Jan-2007, 12:03 AM

I think the whole of Zombie (aka Zombi 2) is posted on youtube, along with trailers for probably all the movies mentioned here. Thanks to this thread I'll be buying Zombie Packs 1 & 2 and Hell of the LD either with the Walking Dead 6 pack or the Rats double feature. I'm stoked.:dead:

PS 28 days later sucked mutant rat. :|

as far as i know they dont make the walking dead pack anymore
when i got mine it was $18 or so and 2nd to last in stock on amazon.com

they make the fright packs whenever they have a surplus of a buncha horror dvds with a loose theme in some big anchor bay factory
so when the factory runs dry again they stop making them
good luck finding it
id try ebay
i bought it
and yeah i loved it
the movies arent great, its campy and funny
but if you really love zombies you'll justfreak out and pee yourself

let sleeping corpses lie and hell of the living dead are the best of the pack

livingdeadboy
29-Jan-2007, 12:17 AM
my favs would have to be, in order:

1. Day Of The Dead (don't care what some people say, I still say its the best)
2. Shaun Of The Dead (three years old and already a classic)
3. Night Of The Living Dead '68 (even after all of these god awful remakes:p this one will still be the best)
4. Dawn Of The Dead '79 (need i say more, its a classic)
5. Zombie (thought it set a pretty good creepy mood in a few scenes)
6. Dead Alive (with that much damn blood shed, you can't go wrong)
7. The Dead Next Door (cheesey as hell, but enjoyed it, i got a soft spot for those indie movies)
8. Masters of Horror episode "Homecoming" (while not a straight forward zombie flick, i enjoyed aspects of it, enough to add to the list)
9. Hell Of The Living Dead (oh i know, cheap knock off of Dawn of the dead, but i love the cheese ball acting, sound effects and such... it was good fun)
10. Land Of The Dead (not the best of the dead movies, but still managed to stand its own ground)

ash
29-Jan-2007, 11:23 AM
my favs would have to be, in order:

1. Day Of The Dead (don't care what some people say, I still say its the best)
2. Shaun Of The Dead (three years old and already a classic)
3. Night Of The Living Dead '68 (even after all of these god awful remakes:p this one will still be the best)
4. Dawn Of The Dead '79 (need i say more, its a classic)
5. Zombie (thought it set a pretty good creepy mood in a few scenes)
6. Dead Alive (with that much damn blood shed, you can't go wrong)
7. The Dead Next Door (cheesey as hell, but enjoyed it, i got a soft spot for those indie movies)
8. Masters of Horror episode "Homecoming" (while not a straight forward zombie flick, i enjoyed aspects of it, enough to add to the list)
9. Hell Of The Living Dead (oh i know, cheap knock off of Dawn of the dead, but i love the cheese ball acting, sound effects and such... it was good fun)
10. Land Of The Dead (not the best of the dead movies, but still managed to stand its own ground)
Dumbass, I said OUTSIDE Romero's Dead series. PHAIL. Don't post in a thread untill you have read the first post. EVER.

livingdeadboy
29-Jan-2007, 12:27 PM
Dumbass, I said OUTSIDE Romero's Dead series. PHAIL. Don't post in a thread untill you have read the first post. EVER.

Sorry to have ruined your day, I hope you'll be able to sleep with this on your conscience.

ash
29-Jan-2007, 12:32 PM
Sorry to have ruined your day, I hope you'll be able to sleep with this on your conscience.

I hope you learned your lesson.

livingdeadboy
29-Jan-2007, 12:55 PM
I hope you learned your lesson.

I did.

Danny
29-Jan-2007, 02:08 PM
now shake hands and youl be all the better for it;)

...aaaanyway, what about pet cemetary?:sneaky:

DEAD BEAT
29-Jan-2007, 06:19 PM
and if shaking hands doesnt work you guys can always shave each others pubes!:D

Chaos
29-Jan-2007, 08:38 PM
The best non-Romero zombie movies are:

The Return of the Living Dead, My Boyfriend's back, House of Seven Corpses, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn '04, Video Dead and Night Life.

triste realtà
29-Jan-2007, 09:10 PM
as far as i know they dont make the walking dead pack anymore
when i got mine it was $18 or so and 2nd to last in stock on amazon.com

they make the fright packs whenever they have a surplus of a buncha horror dvds with a loose theme in some big anchor bay factory
so when the factory runs dry again they stop making them
good luck finding it
id try ebay
i bought it
and yeah i loved it
the movies arent great, its campy and funny
but if you really love zombies you'll justfreak out and pee yourself

let sleeping corpses lie and hell of the living dead are the best of the pack

No, they don't make it anymore, but I'm the type who spends hours looking for the cheapest price, OOP or not. I found it for $25, I saw it with $80 price tags, and I read posts on other zombie boards from '05 that you could get it for about $17 when deepdiscountdvd was having their 20% sale (which made me grind my teeth). I also found the Zombie Packs for $13 each, hkflix.com is having free shipping this month only! Now I'm reading that Shriek Show screwed up the gore scenes in Zombi 3 cause they transferred them from a crappy VHS and some of the Zombi 3s don't have the commentary track but I think you can ask them for a new one with commentary and they'll send it to you. Also, Burial Ground (aka Zombie 3, too) is missing about 4 seconds of gore. I also read some bad things about the framing of some of SS's releases. The Japanese releases don't have the flaws that these do.

Also, Shriek Show is the people who did the 2disc Zombi 25th anniv. edition and I saw an extensive review about it. I'll have to find the link.

dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/zombi279.htm