PDA

View Full Version : So i bought a IPOD !

general tbag
21-Jan-2007, 07:32 AM
And used it for one day and figured it was complete crap ! After just using SD card MP3 players, ipod really sucks in comparison

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2007, 10:54 AM
I never understood the fascination with IPOD's, I really never understood it and to this day it baffles me why people would pay $200 for something when you can get other MP3's players for much less and sometimes more storage. We really have become a species of excess.

MikePizzoff
22-Jan-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't know how iPod's are in comparison to other MP3 players. But I don't care because my iPod was free. It... uhhhh... let's just say it fell into my lap.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2007, 11:13 AM
Right off the truck huh? :D

Graebel
22-Jan-2007, 01:21 PM
I have an iPod and my husband has a Rio. His is harder to see (its very tiny) and will only play the songs in order.

iPod isn't perfect, mine is three years old, but Apple's service was exceptional the one time I had a problem.

And I don't have to listen to crummy radio programming in the car anymore.:D

tju1973
22-Jan-2007, 03:27 PM
My wife has a 30gb iPod, and my duaghter has a newer model shuffle. WHile iPods are far from perfect, they (the company) Apple has done a good job marketing and with great support. Kind of gimmicky, but it is nice to get the complete Dave Chappelle series and download Battlestar Galctica as they come out-- 30gb isn't large, but its a good price for its size-- great for its size---plus its the "in" thing--

I like the new Zune, but given Aplles hold and better marketing, I don't know if I will go that route-- especially since we already have a bunch sunk into iTunes...

Maitreya
22-Jan-2007, 05:10 PM
Of all the MP3 players I've seen I think that iPod videos are the best.

They're so simple to use, and having a select button that's not in the way of the scroll wheels nice (If you've used a Zen you know what I'm talking about.

Plus itunes is one of the best on computer MP3 storage/playing programs I've used, and before that I was an adamant winamp user...

Cody
23-Jan-2007, 04:39 AM
yeah i was a winamp man myself, i have the 30gig video its a pretty sweet thing, the videos wont play anymore though...waste of a good 400$

Danny
23-Jan-2007, 05:09 AM
I never understood the fascination with IPOD's, I really never understood it and to this day it baffles me why people would pay $200 for something when you can get other MP3's players for much less and sometimes more storage. We really have become a species of excess.

i agree my brother spent 300 ,or some thing like that, quid on a video i-pod.

...WHY?!?, so he can get mugged for it on the bus?, cus aside form on the jhon were are you gonna watch videos on this thing?.
my mp3 player cost about 5 bucks and holds 40 songs, now i dont know about you but thats enough to last me the day and all you gotta do is connect it to your pc and put new ones on, and the i-tunes thing boggles my mind, why pay for some piece of digital info that can easily be erased by mistake compared to a CD or a slightly more shady download off limeiwire?
you could get a good laptop or an xbox 360 or even a freakin' second hand car for the same price as that i pod and you dont carry it around on the street waiting for it to get dropped or smashed do you?

well maybe with laptops if you careless, but you get the point.

and no im not an i-pod fan in cas eyou havent guessed:p

Chaos
23-Jan-2007, 03:07 PM
My sister has an iPod and she's turned into a bigger asshole than your average Benz owner. I got a free SD mp3 player from the Ford dealer when I bought my truck and it works great.

Geophyrd
23-Jan-2007, 07:52 PM
I've had a RIO and another MP3 player. They were fine but my IPOD is awesome...I use it all day, everyday. I watch videos on my commute (1 1/2 hours each way everyday...watched 2 seasons of Babylon 5, 1 season of Eureka, 2 seasons of The Office and a bunch of others), listen to podcasts (roughly 5 per week) and have over 5000 songs on it. I also use it for audiobooks.

I used to be a naysayer too...but I've become hooked. The worst thing about the IPOD is the cost of accessories, but since I haven't bought any since the week I got my Ipod, I can't even complain about that.

That's why I paid 400 for my video ipod and if I lost it tommorrow, I'd pay another 400 for another one.

Danny
24-Jan-2007, 10:10 AM
huh. i just buy a book or something myself for a trip.

CornishCorpse
24-Jan-2007, 08:54 PM
Im with Hellsing on this one, My mp3 holds a 100 song cost me ten quid. It does what it needs to and keeps me entertained, Ive got better stuff to spend my cash on.

My mp3 looks like a piece of **** and has a cracked screen but its made alot of lectures more intrestin thats for sure. Think how many dead movies and cinema tickets you could pick up for the price of an ipod? take youre girlfriend out? Fortify youre home in case of looters? jk :lol:

Danny
24-Jan-2007, 11:22 PM
this might be karma but my mp3 player blew up this afternoon:lol:

Maitreya
25-Jan-2007, 03:17 PM
this might be karma but my mp3 player blew up this afternoon:lol:

It's a sign my child, turn to the one true MP3 player!

Danny
25-Jan-2007, 04:23 PM
never!:D

Scott
26-Jan-2007, 02:06 AM
I just bought one today. I like it so far, jsut wanted to know if someone can recomend a program for converting videos for the ipod (not asking for anything illegal, looking for any legit free programs out there). Thanks in advance!

Geophyrd
26-Jan-2007, 12:43 PM
But the best video editor I've found for the IPOD is Quicktime Pro. I've tried a few others...be VERY careful that the one you select works both on your computer and configured with your hardware. I bought two that I couldn't use. One of them's holding up one end of my desk at home.

Having said that, adapting video for IPOD takes a really long time and doesn't always go perfectly. If the video is at all long (over 60 minutes), adapting it for video can literally take an entire weekend. But the results are good and the size of the screen doesn't detract from its use.

I've d/l a bunch from Itunes (tvs shows, videos, video podcasts, etc). I've also taken some MP4 video that I shot a couple of years back and adapted that. Last, I was playing with computer generated animation using Adobe Premiere and adapted that. I did those projects using QT Pro, which is $29 downloaded.

They all worked and look fine even when I hook up my IPOD to my TV to watch. A little artifacted but that was probably due to compression before QT got at them.

general tbag
29-Jan-2007, 06:20 AM
it was when it deleted 24 gigs of music when i loaded itunes. piece of crap. anything that shows up as a removable drive is a true mp3 player in my books now :D

Danny
29-Jan-2007, 01:47 PM
uhh...isnt that any mp3 player made after like 2003?

Maitreya
29-Jan-2007, 06:01 PM
Scott, I'd recommend Videora iPod converter, it works great turning things into MP4s

You can get it on download.com if I recall...

tkane18
29-Jan-2007, 08:10 PM
Read this article from ilounge.com (a very good iPod site):

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/video-to-ipod-conversion-for-windows-pcs-part-1/

This is Part 1. You can find the link to the next part near the bottom.

ash
29-Jan-2007, 09:57 PM
IPODS are freaking overrater. First of all, they have way too much computer in them. If your MP3 player has enough computer to have the capacity to FREEZE, then you should re-think it. Also, the controls are annoying. I can't feel the buttons through my jeans, so to go to a different song, I have to actually TAKE IT OUT of my pocket, which is impossible while sitting down. Another thing that sucks is the Shuffle. Firstly, you have no screen, 1GB of storage capacity, and it's so small that it gets LOST in your POCKET. Also, you have to charge it, which is imposible if you loose the cord. I prefer to change batteries. For the same price, however, you can get the 1GB Sandisc Sansa M250, which has a screen, optional shuffle, a favorites list function for up to 30 songs, a radio tuner, a microphone, and the buttons are separated by a raised X shaped pece of plastic, so you can feel them through your jeans.
http://www.medialider.pl/sklep/produkt/754/l_ml_produkt_1_sansa-m250-2gb.jpg
See? The screen is back lit, also, and it is highly energy efficient.

Maitreya
30-Jan-2007, 04:31 PM
Or you can always just get a cheap 30 gig ipod video, get used to the scroll wheel (which is actually really nice) listen to whatever songs you want to, when you want to laid out band by band, save money on batteries by charging it and have infinitely more songs (I have about 12 gigs of music on my computer, I do in fact need that much space).

But yea, it's a matter of personal preference, I'm just giving you a hard time :D