PDA

View Full Version : an urban myth question for the yankees of the forum

Danny
23-Jan-2007, 06:38 AM
so im writing a piece for one of my a level courseowkrs about urban legends, and ive been interested in the subject for a long time and know a lot of em, but i just read one on wikipedia that ive never heard before but swear ive seen a movie about or something. its calld the "melon heads" myth and is centred around ohio and cleveland.

The Melon Heads are a long-running urban legend of deformed individuals who prowl in the woods of southern-west Michigan and parts of northern Ohio.

There are many versions of the tale, but the most well-known involves a man named Dr. Crow. One version of the legend states that Crow performed experiments on children with hydrocephalus, a condition where afflicted children were born with water in the brain, often causing swelling of the head. Dr. Crow was a World War II doctor that dealt with the problem. Crow allegedly used only his own tools and property, and the government sent him the kids. According to the story, Crow was deranged and performed atrocities on the children, whom he enjoyed hurting and killing sadistically. Crow carried out his experiments deep in the woods far from anyone who would discover them at the Felt Mansion.

There are many different versions of the Dr. Crow story, one less chilling story is that Dr. Crow was involved in government experiments that involved radiation. The government paid Dr. Crow and his wife to stay out of the limelight. Although Dr. Crow and his wife were normal, their children were born with abnormally swelled heads. It is said that when Crow's wife died, the children were so devastated that they burnt down the house, killing themselves and Dr. Crow.

It is said that melon heads have poor vision, so that people who go into the woods in clothing that is dark, black, blue, dark green, will be safe from them. Those wearing white or light-colored clothing will be hunted out. It has also been said that they can run very quickly, and can keep up with cars going 45-50 miles per hour.

Many stories are told about melon heads, but most have been gruesome; saying they went out of Dr. Crow's control and went on a killing spree which still continues today. The roads with the most sightings are Wisner Road and King Memorial Roads in Chardon, Ohio. Reports of sightings have also occurred in Saugatuck, Michigan in caves in the dunes. Sightings are rare, and they are said to be very shy...running away from any sight of headlights.

heres a newspaper entry

There is perhaps no town on Earth as spooky as Kirtland.

This East Side suburb has a sordid history of weirdness. It's where cult leader Jeffrey Lundgren murdered the Avery family and buried their bodies under the floor of a decaying barn.

Today, Kirtland is still rural and underpopulated, a community of cabins on rolling hills amid vast stretches of forest. There is a place on King Memorial Road called Gravity Hill, where the laws of physics are seemingly reversed ‹ cars roll uphill, here. There's a crybaby bridge, too. Local legend claims a teenager became pregnant in the early 1900s under suspicious circumstances. When her father demanded she give it up for adoption, the teen took her baby and leaped into the river. If you stand on the bridge at midnight and chant "crybaby" three times, you can hear the faint cries of a child drifting through the trees.

But nothing is quite as scary as the tale of the Melonheads.

Around the turn of the last century, a man known only as Dr. Crow built an orphanage at the end of Wisner Road, atop a hill overlooking the crybaby bridge. He was an evil and twisted doctor, and at night, when the nurses were away, he conducted odd medical experiments on the children. The procedures caused the kids to develop abnormally large heads with no hair, on top of small, deformed bodies. He called them his "melonheads." But one day, the melonheads revolted. They killed the doctor, burned down the orphanage and escaped into the woods, where they still live today.

Ever since the orphanage burned down, residents of Kirtland have reported strange sightings of short, naked creatures with large heads roaming the woods.

Fire Chief Anthony Hutton has heard the story, but has never seen a melonhead himself ‹ though not for lack of trying. "When I was in school, we used to take the girls out there to scare 'em," he says with a sly smile.

Other residents suspect there may be a logical explanation to the myth. "How it all came about was, there was this doctor who lived here that had some mongoloid children," says Nancy Gorman, who owns horse stables on Wisner Road. "People were just scared of 'em because they didn't know better."

Maybe. But that doesn't explain the number of residents that post new sightings on the Internet. One fellow, on Creepycleveland.net, says he watched helplessly as a melonhead came out of the woods, attacked, then ate his pet dog. So, if you visit Winser Road this Halloween, keep Sparky at home.

wierd huh?, it reminds me of a few other urban myths like the chimera house one about a house full of failed human experimentation mutations, plus all those ones about generations of inbreds living in the south and louisiana swampland preying on "townies" that stray off the ebaten path, but this is a wierd one, and one of the few not on warpheads wierd world's site, just wondered if any americans on here had ever heard tell of this one cus its new to me.

Bongholio
23-Jan-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't know about melon head's but here in NJ there is a .gov protected
wilderness area called the pine barrens
"WE GOT PINEY's"
Just don't ask them to deliver your cars "downstream" so you can have a spot of canoeing :sneaky:

Danny
23-Jan-2007, 07:21 AM
thats were the jersey devils supposed to lurk right?

Burbank
23-Jan-2007, 09:26 AM
I quite like Urban Myths, but I can recall hearing about it. Found this site about it, but nothing about it on snopes.com. Maybe you can search their forum for something.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t34817.html

Chaos
23-Jan-2007, 03:02 PM
I can't speak on the melon heads, as I don't know anything about them. But I can confirm that there are actual Kentucky blue people and West Virginia water heads. I'm not positive about melon heads though.

MikePizzoff
23-Jan-2007, 03:08 PM
Melon Heads? That's such a lame name/myth. At least in Jersey we've got a devil-like-creature that flies.

CornishCorpse
23-Jan-2007, 08:58 PM
Im a Brit so no luck on the melon heads but thanks for the urban legend and would you mind if I posted it on to warphead? They have some great tales a similair is one of the "White eyes" trapped miners, ate fallen miners to survive and dug themselves out and surprise lurk a certain mountain. Mining stopped and hikers are found killed.

Anyway Chaos how do you know there are "Blue heads" and " water heads" go on? Urban myths are always fun.

Tricky
23-Jan-2007, 09:49 PM
Im a Brit so no luck on the melon heads but thanks for the urban legend and would you mind if I posted it on to warphead? They have some great tales a similair is one of the "White eyes" trapped miners, ate fallen miners to survive and dug themselves out and surprise lurk a certain mountain. Mining stopped and hikers are found killed.

Anyway Chaos how do you know there are "Blue heads" and " water heads" go on? Urban myths are always fun.

The Barghest of York is a good one as well if you want a good old english myth,go on the original ghost walk of york to hear the story at its best in the true surroundings :)

slickwilly13
24-Jan-2007, 01:07 AM
Let's not forget about that aggressive inbred sasquatch that lives in East Texas.

tju1973
24-Jan-2007, 01:12 AM
But I forgive you limeys...

just kidding...

:)

DeadJonas190
24-Jan-2007, 01:34 AM
I have never heard of the melon heads, but then again the geography is completely wrong at the beginning of that story so i would assume it's a made up hoax, southern-west Michigan does not border Ohio. Southern-West Michigan borders Indiana, south-eastern Michigan borders Ohio. Still an interesting story.

The legend is probably derived from all the human testing they used to do here. Apparently, Michigan was an area of the country that would perform strange and cruel tests on mental patients back in the late 1800's and early 1900's so I could see this legend starting up if word of what they did had got out in those days. I also read somewhere that Hitler got his idea of sterilizing the Jews from Michigan mental hospitals doing it to their patients.

HLS
24-Jan-2007, 02:03 AM
There are gravity hills throughout the usa. i never heard of the melon heads. i do live Near stull cemetary. look that up :)

EvilNed
24-Jan-2007, 08:54 AM
While it does sound like something out of a bad paperback horror novel, or direct-to-video horror film, it's even more ridiculous that that I'm afraid.

So this happened after WW2, right. Around 1950? Notice that they never give a definite year, so that they can get away with anything. But let's assume 1950.

These Lemon Heads would be humans in all but appearance and behavior. So that means they would still freeze to death during winter. Are we to assume that a bunch of crazy instinct driven children survived 1 single winter in those woods, let alone 57? Also take into the account that they have no medication. They can't procreate, and if they did their offspring would be a normal human and not driven by any instinct to eat human flesh. These creatures wouldn't be able to take care of a baby anyway, so whatever.

Anyway, there's just noway any group of rabid people could have survived, naked and freezing, for that long without modern medication and understanding.

Danny
24-Jan-2007, 10:13 AM

sorry man, beat you too it a few days ago:D

Dawg
24-Jan-2007, 02:14 PM
Hellsing,

Its funny you mention the melonheads, because I just recently purchased: 'Weird, Ohio' and there is a page or two in there about them.

Ohio is definitely a pretty weird state and I live here! :eek:

:dead: Dawg

Tricky
24-Jan-2007, 04:51 PM
While it does sound like something out of a bad paperback horror novel, or direct-to-video horror film, it's even more ridiculous that that I'm afraid.

So this happened after WW2, right. Around 1950? Notice that they never give a definite year, so that they can get away with anything. But let's assume 1950.

These Lemon Heads would be humans in all but appearance and behavior. So that means they would still freeze to death during winter. Are we to assume that a bunch of crazy instinct driven children survived 1 single winter in those woods, let alone 57? Also take into the account that they have no medication. They can't procreate, and if they did their offspring would be a normal human and not driven by any instinct to eat human flesh. These creatures wouldn't be able to take care of a baby anyway, so whatever.

Anyway, there's just noway any group of rabid people could have survived, naked and freezing, for that long without modern medication and understanding.

But havent you seen "the hills have eyes"? :p

Chaos
24-Jan-2007, 07:24 PM

First of all, the Kentucky blue people aren't an urban myth. They're actual people with blue-ish hue skintones. As for the water heads of West Virginia, their story goes as follows: After Virginia seceded from the Union, a minority of Virginians wished to stay loyal to the union. That was the founding of the state of West Virginia. Well, during and after the war, they were treated as dishonorable cowards by the Union and as turncoat Benedict Arnolds by the Confederacy. They were basically isolated from both sides. They lived in small, Appalachian communities and inbred for several generations. During the prohibition, they tried monopolizing the moonshine operation and would victimize any threats to their inbred, family enterprise. It wasn't uncommon for a moonshiner to come home and find his wife and kids murdered by the "water heads."

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 04:56 PM
i have heard of the melon heads before occasionally attacking folks and what not but never paid a lot of attention to it. that is a northern ohio thing and i live in the very southwest corner of the state. northern ohio and southern ohio are about as different from one another as, i don't know (searching for a good analogy) maybe scotland and england might be.

you might find this place interesting:

http://www.deadohio.com/

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 05:09 PM
melon heads are fake. i live in northern ohio and everythings fine here.

vissionaerie
22-Jan-2008, 05:15 PM
check out Weird New Jersey magazines....We are the original state that Mark and Mark started out with there's somethin like 35 magazines....i have about 15 of them....i live on the outside of the Pine Barrens have pretty much my whole entire life....and have grown up with the stories of Piney's and the Jersey Devil...I personnally haven't seen either but i have friends who sware up and down on their relative's graves that they have....for those that live in and around Jersey...just head over to Atsion Lake if you haven't already....the woods across from the lake is chuck full of horrors...supposedly...

and for the Melonheads, blue people, and waterheads thank you ...you just gave me some research material while i'm out on the road.....

kortick
22-Jan-2008, 05:28 PM
get the book

Encyclopdia of Urban Legends by
Jan Harold Brunvand

or any of his books on urban legends

He is the best writer on the subject

check out your library, probably can read it for free

Got lots of really cool stories in it

I have 2 books by him and they both are great.

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 05:35 PM
melon heads are fake. i live in northern ohio and everythings fine here.

i think ace might the press agent for an international melon head conspiracy.:lol:

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 05:55 PM
i think ace might the press agent for an international melon head conspiracy.:lol:

a black person involved with a government conspiracy? :lol::lol:

we cant be trusted,remember? :lol::lol: just look a the x files. kirsh. LOL

Skippy911sc
22-Jan-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a story about the Melon heads in a book around here somewhere...I will try and find it and give ya some info later 2 night or Wednesday.

mista_mo
22-Jan-2008, 07:51 PM
Let's not forget about that aggressive inbred sasquatch that lives in East Texas.

George Bush?

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 08:10 PM
George Bush?

you sir are correct:thumbsup:

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 08:12 PM
George Bush?

BRAVO, BRAVO.:lol::thumbsup:

kortick
22-Jan-2008, 08:17 PM
George Bush?

Yes my friend!!

You win a fabulous prize!!

An entire weekend locked inside Bongholio's cave/house!

Enjoy!

Skippy911sc
23-Jan-2008, 02:05 PM
The book Weird U.S. has a few stories about Melon Heads by Mark Moran and Mark Sceurman

P. 60-63

Check it out!

Danny
23-Jan-2008, 02:07 PM
noiyce bit 'o thread necromancy there.;)

Mike70
23-Jan-2008, 02:58 PM
yeah i was surfing old threads and this one caught my eye and as soon as i saw the bit about the melon heads and weird stuff in ohio, i couldn't resist.

clanglee
24-Jan-2008, 07:19 AM
But I forgive you limeys...

just kidding...

:)

Yes, thems fightin' words down south. Yanks is bad enough, but Yankees? Those are the guys up north