PDA

View Full Version : Beverly Hills Cop 4

DjfunkmasterG
23-Jan-2007, 08:33 PM
It has been rumored since 2004, but with Eddie Murphy being nominated for an academy award Paramount pictures seems to wanna shift getting BHC4 into high gear and some reports on the net (Search Google) talk about Jerry Bruckheimer being involved, but another site mentions a different producer.

In 2004, there was mention of Quentin Tarantino wanting to direct Cop 4, but nothing has been made clear yet who the director will be and if this is definitely going to happen. If you search imdb.com, through IMDB Pro, Beverly Hills Cop 4 is listed as announced with a release date of 2009 attached to the name.

Now I am huge fan of the first two BHC films, and although 3 sucks compared to the first two, but it is funny in its own right. However, with all the aging action stars, Murphy is 46, will todays audiences run to the cineplex for a 4th Cop film? Lets not forget, most people born at the time the first two were out probably don't even know who axel foley is... all they know is Murphy as Donkey. Anyway, i for one am anxious to see a BHC4 and my first thought would be to get martin brest, director of Cop 1, to helm the film, but then again a twisted side of me wouldn't mind seeing QT take the reigns.

capncnut
23-Jan-2007, 08:43 PM
I am anxious to see BHC4 also as I love the trilogy but if they recruited the original director I fear that it would be littered with too many references to the first movie. All you need is a good, meaty script, a semi-decent director and some killer gags, that's it!

Now I am huge fan of the first two BHC films, and although 3 sucks compared to the two it is funny in its own right.

Damn straight. Hector Elizondo replaced John Ashton quite nicely I thought.

MikePizzoff
23-Jan-2007, 10:36 PM
I really hope this gets made. I've loved this series since I was about four years old. Yes, I even love the third one (a lot).

Eyebiter
23-Jan-2007, 11:28 PM
Will the Eddie Murpy playing every character in his recent films trend continue?

capncnut
23-Jan-2007, 11:32 PM
Will the Eddie Murpy playing every character in his recent films trend continue?

I dunno man but if he's playing Billy Rosewood as well then I aint going.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jan-2007, 10:43 AM
I am anxious to see BHC4 also as I love the trilogy but if they recruited the original director I fear that it would be littered with too many references to the first movie. All you need is a good, meaty script, a semi-decent director and some killer gags, that's it!

Damn straight. Hector Elizondo replaced John Ashton quite nicely I thought.

Yeah Hector was a nice replacement, however I did miss Chief Bogomil and Taggart. I know they said he was retired in the 3rd one but he has to make one last come back. The thing I didn't like about 3 so much is how they seem to distance thye characters. In the beginning of Part 2, they were all supposed to go on a fishing trip, like they were all great friends since first meeting, but in the third one when Axel shows up in California, the story plays like they never talked for years and years. Plus they killed off Axel's boss and that just sucked cause Inspector Todd was a great comic relief character.

"Is the F*cking Foley in here?"

capncnut
24-Jan-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah, it really pissed me off that Inspector Todd got killed cos he was the meanest mofo in the series, I loved that guy. I would have liked Todd to have been involved with the Foley/Taggart/Rosewood/Bogomil partnership but alas, it was not meant to be. I agree that Taggart has to be involved in BHC4 and it would be great to see Foley and Rosewood knockin' on his door and coaxing him out of retirement. I would like to see Paul Reiser return also.

Not two minutes after writing this, I find the following.

Well, let me just say, the sequel is in very early development. Oh, and remember, they’ve tried to get this off the ground before. Three or four times before, actually. So don't get in line, just yet.

A couple of years back, Jerry Bruckheimer announced his intentions to resurrect Alex Foley, but shortly after – for numerous reasons, but mainly financial – forfeited his option to produce the film. Still, Eddie Murphy Productions (now pretty much just a rat, bit of cheese and series of empty electricity sockets) continued to develop the product, enlisting writers until they could find a script to their liking.

One of the early scripts marked a return to the lesser-budgeted, more comedic, tone of the original 1984 film with Axel re-teaming with old pals Taggart (John Ashton), now working airport security, and Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) – and, briefly, Det. Jeffrey Friedman (Paul Reiser) – to track down a constantly relocating crime lord. Because of some of the airport/terrorist themes (written not long after the events of September 11, when terrorism was a bit of an off-topic for features) it was placed on the back burner.

The latest outline of the film, said to be a fuse of a couple of the previously penned scripts, will thankfully retain the feel of the original (hopefully Taggart, Rosewood and Jeffrey will still be in there). And no, it won’t be written, or directed, or produced by Quentin Tarantino. Paramount merely sniggered at the news… Tarantino is apparently a big fan of Murphy (and rumours persist that he plans to use him in “Inglorious Bastards”), but as far as I’m aware, has never ever been attached to the project. Murphy, according to the site, is happy with the outline.

And here's something a little more official from Wiki.

Beverly Hills Cop IV is the long-awaited fourth installment in the Beverly Hills Cop series. Eddie Murphy signed on to star as Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop IV as of November 30, 2006 according to many entertainment news websites. The series is now being guided by Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

It is not officially known if past stars like Judge Reinhold, John Ashton or Ronny Cox will be in the film. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer is not expected to participate in the fourth installment of the series, and the movie will be produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

Sounds promising. :thumbsup:

bassman
24-Jan-2007, 04:49 PM
But you also have to remember that's Wiki.....

Although, I did find out today that the first three movies are being released again on DVD towards the middle/end of the year. Sometimes studios do this to sort of "remind" people. So it could be a good(and minor) sign.....

MikePizzoff
24-Jan-2007, 05:49 PM
Amazon has a Beverly Hills Cops special edition box-set for a bargain price! It's Region 1 so bugger off you bloody sod's. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005U7QX/ref=wl_it_dp/002-3437597-5046427?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1SU7X1XL6DEMO&colid=2KEBAT53UZJ2G

I'm sure most of you know of/own this set but I've never heard of it.

bassman
24-Jan-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I've got that set. The only movie that's really a "Special Edition" is the first. The rest have a small featurette and a trailer....that's about it. But it's still nice to have them on DVD.:D

And if you really want that set....I suggest you get it from a Best Buy. It's about five bucks cheaper and no shipping.