View Full Version : Your ultimate film opening sequence....

Cykotic
25-Jan-2007, 03:17 PM
If you could film your dream movie opening sequence for a Sci-fi, Fantasy or Horror movie and the money side of things didn't matter, what would you film?

ash
25-Jan-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I would start with a black screen.

Ticking is heard in the background. A clock slowly fades into view.
The ticking fades as the clock battery dies.
A voice is heard. "****, the battery died"

The screen fades to black again.
Another voice is heard.
"Mr. president, I'm afraid you have to come with me."
The president asks "Why? What's wrong?"
The first voice responds "They're coming, sir."
"Shi-" his voice is cut off by the sound of blood splattering.
A blood splatter appears on the black screen, bearing the words "UZ Entertainment Presents"
The blood is wiped away using a blinds effect.
A plasma TV is shown far off.
The camera zooms into the TV, showing chaos around the world as the opening piano for Gary Jules' "Mad World" begins to play.
The TV continues to show news reports and gory imagery from across the globe.
The song plays as the action on the TV is interupted occasionally by more blood splatters showing the credits for the movie.
At the end of the song, a normal weather report is being shown on the TV, which morphs into an old Magnavox.
The movie title is shown at the ticker on the bottom of the news report in bold, red letters, unlike the other words which are in white font.
"Zed" (The title is Zed)
The weather report is ended, and the news anchor appears on-screen saying "Tony the Squirrel has found an interesting way to keep cool during this ho-" the TV is turned off.

The movie starts here.

Danny
25-Jan-2007, 04:22 PM
probably a sci-fi war type thing like halo or gears of war as a movie, with a massive battle opening.

and a hidden cameo by catuar from ff8:cool:

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2007, 06:03 PM
From black, the film slowly fades in.

The shot starts by crawling along a dirty and cracked tarmac road, swooping along and slowly tilting & craning upwards to reveal a myriad of shuffling feet around us - then legs, hands and bodies.

Not hundreds, not thousands, not hundreds-of-thousands - but MILLIONS of zombies all swarming through a desolate and barron landscape scorched by napalm and artillery. The MILLIONS of zombies are all flocking to one central point - an outpost tower, which is battered and bruised and crumbling apart from the onslaught. Inside are two men who were on guard days ago when the compound was broken into at all sides several hundred yards away in all directions. The men have no ammunition and no weapons. There is no escape from the tower - which is crumbling (like I said before) and they're surrounded by an ocean of rotting corpses.

SLAM!!! The screen cuts to black and the title slowly fades in.

Sweet eh? :cool:

capncnut
25-Jan-2007, 08:09 PM

What happens man, what happens next? :eek::lol:

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2007, 08:23 PM
hehe, I don't know all that well to be honest, but it is an idea I've been mulling over in my head for a while. I've been meaning to sit down and write a script/short story about that very description I laid out there. :cool:

I've never seen a zombie movie where you actually see literally completely insurmountable odds facing the protagonists, I guess the budgets are always too small - but perhaps in the next few years with CGI and the right project getting the green light it could be done - I think I will write this as a script/short story (probably the latter) sometime this year. :)

ash
25-Jan-2007, 08:26 PM
hehe, I don't know all that well to be honest, but it is an idea I've been mulling over in my head for a while. I've been meaning to sit down and write a script/short story about that very description I laid out there. :cool:

I've never seen a zombie movie where you actually see literally completely insurmountable odds facing the protagonists, I guess the budgets are always too small - but perhaps in the next few years with CGI and the right project getting the green light it could be done - I think I will write this as a script/short story (probably the latter) sometime this year. :)

Actually, I'm certain that the movie adaptation of World War Z coming out in 2008 will be the one to show that. I mean, if you have read the book, then you know about the "super-flocks" that cover hundreds of miles.

capncnut
25-Jan-2007, 09:18 PM
I've never seen a zombie movie where you actually see literally completely insurmountable odds facing the protagonists, I guess the budgets are always too small - but perhaps in the next few years with CGI and the right project getting the green light it could be done - I think I will write this as a script/short story (probably the latter) sometime this year.

That is something I would love to see, I was kinda hoping that Land would touch upon this but alas it never. Literally like the crowd at a Robbie Williams concert, a sea of zombies that stretches across cities.

_liam_
25-Jan-2007, 09:54 PM
ext: daytime, a high street

2-shot, waist height
two be-fringed emo kids in atticus shirts are standing around discussing the merits of my chemical romance.
suddenly a male silhouette eclipses their forms.

cut to : ECU, james hetfield's moustache & mouth

cut to : 2 shot again, emos lookin scared.

CU: hetfield, head & shoulders shot
JH: SAY WHAT

emo: urm...MCR are pretty rockin..dewd

CU: JH h&s shot, para zoom.
james clenches fists and looks to the sky
JH: NNNNNNYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

emos clutch their ears in pain

JH: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

blood begins to gush from the ears of the emo

JH:EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

kirk hammet walks into the shot, and begins to wail on his axe

kirks axe: diddlydiddlydiddlydiddlyeeeEEEEeeeEEEdoodlyooodoow ahwahwallawahYAYAyaaaaaa

the emos are convulsing on the the floor, finally, they explode, JH opens his mouth so that he might drink the viscera as it gushes forth, shaking his head to and fro...

aerial shot, rotates from primary elevated position to the left on a spiral rail trajectory to ground level, a crowd of people are clapping to JH & kirk.

crash zoom to ECU on JH's face
JH: SHUT THE F*** UP!

crowd looks shocked

jh & kirk play damage incorporated. naked woman and shatterproof vodka bottles rain from the sky. everyone pays due deference to the power of OLD SCHOOL METALLICA

THE END. :evil:

for those with visualisation issues,
hetfield
http://www.getthatsound.com/General%20Assets/Images/Hetfield.jpg
kirk
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/boricua_alex/kirk%20hammett/kirk-hammett14.jpg
emo kid
http://www.etniesmotox.com/site-images/news/article/emo-hairfull.jpg

ash
25-Jan-2007, 10:35 PM
That was... Interesting...

capncnut
25-Jan-2007, 10:47 PM
Great story Liam. :lol:

prettycorpses
26-Jan-2007, 10:55 AM
From black, the film slowly fades in.

The shot starts by crawling along a dirty and cracked tarmac road, swooping along and slowly tilting & craning upwards to reveal a myriad of shuffling feet around us - then legs, hands and bodies.

Not hundreds, not thousands, not hundreds-of-thousands - but MILLIONS of zombies all swarming through a desolate and barron landscape scorched by napalm and artillery. The MILLIONS of zombies are all flocking to one central point - an outpost tower, which is battered and bruised and crumbling apart from the onslaught. Inside are two men who were on guard days ago when the compound was broken into at all sides several hundred yards away in all directions. The men have no ammunition and no weapons. There is no escape from the tower - which is crumbling (like I said before) and they're surrounded by an ocean of rotting corpses.

SLAM!!! The screen cuts to black and the title slowly fades in.

Ah, enough to make a girl go moist :D......not in a 'I find zombies sexually stimulating perv' kinda way :o

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 11:18 AM
Ah, enough to make a girl go moist :D......not in a 'I find zombies sexually stimulating perv' kinda way :o
That's exactly what any self-respecting zombie film fan wants to hear from a gal. :)

Bongholio
26-Jan-2007, 02:26 PM
the shirts of clan atticus what is their magistical construction? :moon:

capncnut
26-Jan-2007, 03:23 PM
...not in a 'I find zombies sexually stimulating perv' kinda way :o

Mmm, I dunno. There were one or two cute zomb chicks in Land. :D

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jan-2007, 03:51 PM
Mmm, I dunno. There were one or two cute zomb chicks in Land. :D

Just one!

#9 :D

She could EAT ME anyday! :lol:

Tricky
26-Jan-2007, 04:38 PM
Even if you didnt like Dawn '04 as a dead film,you cant deny that the opening was awesome,johnny cash playing while the world turns to ****!

I reckon (and this is working in my head a lot better than i can write it) that i would start the film as a camera view shuffling out of some woods heading towards a small town/village,the first sound is that of a pheasant flying off as if startled (its quite a distinct sound if you've ever heard it) and crows cawing as they fly off from the trees above.the camera is still looking through the characters eyes at this point as it breaks from cover and starts moving across the fields toward the town,the camera pans around & you start to see the signs that something is wrong,a couple of bodies in the field,a wrecked car against a tree on the road to the right with the driver dragged out & half eaten & a couple of dead zombies nearby with bullet wounds to the head,then the camera pans up toward the church tower & you see a quick muzzle flash,the sound of a bullet approaching,then crunch!the screen goes black & the title shows.After the title screen the camera flips to a telescopic sight view of the just expired zombie,looking from the church tower,then a voice says "thats the fifth one this morning,how long do you think we should stay here?i dont think the army are coming....." and then we're into the film proper!no massive explosions,no hollywood gloss,more of a subtle opening that only british films seem to provide (28 days later & dog soldiers spring to mind) :D

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 04:42 PM
Tricky - excellent opening sequence idea, noiiice!

And damn straight, Brits are good at subtlety and neat ideas. :)

Also, no wonder the opening title sequence in Yawn04 is alright, cos it was made by somebody completely different. It was handed over to some freelancer or something and they cobbled it together with minimal direction ... mind you, the whole "buzzy snippets of news footage" angle has been done enough now, it's become a recent genre cliche sadly...and the Cash song was great.

Mind you, his cover of "Hurt" is just superb.

Tricky
26-Jan-2007, 04:49 PM
You can have it if you like MZ!as long as i get a part :p :D

capncnut
26-Jan-2007, 04:49 PM
Cash's version of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" aint too bad either.

_liam_
26-Jan-2007, 04:51 PM
all johnny cash rules. "man in black", "san quentin" "Boy named sue". and that cover of hurt whupped the NIN original, fo sure yo.

i quite liked the bit in dawn 04 with the aerial shot and the cars flipping over and blowing up. the film was pleasing on an empirical level, nice visuals, sounds and music, but the characterisation was flat and the story was gash - "were going to the mall" "what mall" "that mall" *camera elevates to reveal mall* - NAFF.

but wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be.

cant wait for the bitch fest that will ensue once the inevitably crap day remake is released though...

Rottedfreak
26-Jan-2007, 08:01 PM
Sci Fi movie
A dog takes a pee on a tree, suddenly it moves, the dog turns around, ears raised and then moves on. suddenly the tree comes to life, branches and vines form a hand, they grab the dog and toss it into the air, theres a slow motion shot of a birds eye view of the dog falling back to earth beneath it the tree alters shape and forms a mouth with razor teeth, it moves upwards and closes them shut on the dog. We see the sun setting, the tree is in the distance and moving, we hear the dogs yelp, then its silenced and the tree burps.
The titles comes up: 'RISE OF THE CARNIVOROUS TREES FROM HELL!' or 'VINES'
After the credits and facts about Earthern Flora existing, we start off in some suburbs, a wife says goodbye to ehr husband and he starts the car and calls her kids (two boys and a girl) for the schoolbus, she watches in horror as a tree on the lawn crushes the car, pulls her husband out and devours his legs, he is thrown on the pavement and pulls himself along to a bush, suddenly vines emerge and drag him in, we hear his screams and the sounds of him being eaten.
The mother runs out to help him, has her back to the tree which then flattens her and the kids scream and rush inside the house, the girl goes to the phone to find it not working (a shot of a uprooted mobile Tree tearing down the phone pole) and the boys stand on the roof watching the suburbs in chaos as trees roam around the streets, people are attacked, flaming cars are boing tossed around.
The girl turns on the TV in her room, she finds news reports of Tree attacks and sees the US army trying to battle them with flamethrowers, the reporter reveals the president has ordered a nationwide hosepipe ban. the transmission is interrupted, the Trees demand humans respect nature or die, Gaia is angry with mankind, she wants live live in peace with the virus but mankind has been giving her little choice to this the president replies "screw you!" and then a chopper shows the whitehouse being pulled underground into a lava flow.
end of the opening.

(Five minutes after this the Manager comes in to find the screen room vacant)

Danny
26-Jan-2007, 08:21 PM
all johnny cash rules

word.

though a freind of mine actually had the nerve to say "thats **** its just gay bar music":eek: