PDA

View Full Version : Mix Tapes...

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 06:13 PM
Okay, had an idea for a thread - dig out your first (or earliest that you can find) Mix Tape that you've mad, and post the track listing here. (Yes, I was watching High Fidelity recently... :))

I'll start, I've been on a bit of a cassette tape binge recently as I dug them out of my cupboard and came across the first ever mix tape I made waaaaay back in middle 1995 when I was a kid, get ready for some old school 90s chaps & chapettes. :cool::D

SIDE ONE

2 Unlimited - "No Limit"
(classic choon - end of ... "techno techno techno techno!!")

Snap - "Exterminate"

Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "Boom! Shake The Room"
(back in the days of Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, perhaps the best dinner time American teen import shown at 6:25pm on BBC2 ... EVER :D)

D:Ream - "Things Can Only Get Better"
(often played over shots of Labour entering Downing Street in 1997, promising the world ... and then delivering none of it)

Aswad - "Shine"
(yes, the same Aswad that Tim mentions in Spaced - "BOGLING TO ASWAD!")

PJ & Duncan - "AKA Let's Get Ready To Rumble"
(for those of you too young to remember/even know - Ant & Dec used to be called PJ & Duncan and were not only in Byker Grove - the classic being "PEEEEEEH-JAAAAAAY" when he got a paintball in the eyes - but they were rappers :lol:)

Bananarama - "Lananeeneenoonoo-HELP!"
(featuring comedy duo French & Saunders, if I'm not mistaken)

Fuzzbox - "Pink Sunshine"
(f*cking classic, I love this track - 90s cheese-ish at it's best)

(not sure of artist) - "Never Gonna Get Enough"

SIDE TWO

(not sure of artist) - "We Have Got The Power"

Ambassadors of Funk feat. MC Mario - "Supermarioland"
(daaaaamn ... the memories)

Snap - "Rhythm Is A Dancer"

Rage - "Run To You"
(yep, cover of Bryan Adams)

The Shamen - "Eberneezer Goode"
(memories of childhood naiveté/innocence - the track was actually about the drug Ecstasy and caused a major fuss in the tabloid press ... I just thought it was about a party animal called Eberneezer Goode :lol:)

2 Unlimited - "Workaholic"
(again - classic, you can almost feel the dehydrated clubbing nutters bashing out some shapes to this choon)

Messiah - "Temple Of Dreams"
(samples the movie "Running Man")

Madness - "House Of Fun"
(EVERYONE should have heard this song by now)

East17 - "House Of Love"
(geezer-ish Brit bad-boy band who condoned Ecstasy in the press, with disasterous results ... classic choon though)

Daaaaaamn, this brings back so many memories. :)

Okay, your turn. :)

Chaos
26-Jan-2007, 06:23 PM
Man o' man, mix tapes bring back memories. I don't have any old tapes offhand, but I remember a couple of tracks off the first mix tape a friend dubbed for me.

Concrete Blonde - Joey, They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng, R.E.M. - It's the End of the World as We Know It

Good stuff.

Tricky
26-Jan-2007, 06:25 PM
I cant remember really,i know i had one that had cotton eye joe,culture beat-mr vain,the bart man,ebeneezer goode & a load of other stuff on that il try to remember!
And i had the prodigy's first album on tape,copied from a mate,i loved it!its what got me into dance music & although i was way too young to go to raves then,i couldnt wait to be old enough (the true rave scene had died by the time i was old enough but hard house had just landed,back in 2000!)
Heres quality early prodigy tune!from that album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzGyBTEzfg
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHutUvQGVCs

Of course im well into my rock and bands as well,& i hate cheesy commercial dance music :)

Chaos
26-Jan-2007, 06:26 PM
I cant remember really,i know i had one that had cotton eye joe,culture beat-mr vain,the bart man,ebeneezer goode & a load of other stuff on that il try to remember!
And i had the prodigy's first album on tape,copied from a mate,i loved it!its what got me into dance music & although i was way too young to go to raves then,i couldnt wait to be old enough (the true rave scene had died by the time i was old enough but hard house had just landed,back in 2000!)
Heres quality early prodigy tune!from that album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzGyBTEzfg
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHutUvQGVCs

Of course im well into my rock and bands as well,& i hate cheesy commercial dance music :)

hahaha, Good ol' Cotton Eye Joe. Great song!

Great dance tune for wedding receptions!

_liam_
26-Jan-2007, 06:53 PM
MZ you have one of the ultimate 90s school disco tapes...you should do one of those club nights.

cant find my earliest one, but i found a pretty old one (97?).

prodigy - breathe

prodigy - the trick (b side)

GTA theme

a white zombie remix of some kind

marilyn manson - the beautiful people/1996

pulp fiction theme

fun lovin criminals - scooby snacks

sneaker pimps - 6 underground (choon!)

death in vegas - dirt

alice cooper - feed my frankenstein

coolio - gangsters paradise (lol)

lol interesting how tapes degenerate...everyone sounds high pitched & froggy (coolio sounds hilarious, gerry adams rapping)

Tricky
26-Jan-2007, 07:10 PM
hahaha, Good ol' Cotton Eye Joe. Great song!

Great dance tune for wedding receptions!

Remember this one as well that was very similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfe3l2bWnoc

bangin' choons from dudes who wanted to make you pray good and squeal like a pig :lol:

EvilNed
26-Jan-2007, 07:25 PM
I remember the first time I heard Old Pop in an Oak... I thought to myself, it's the same ****ing song!

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 07:36 PM
hehehe, it's a classic tape, proper 1990s. :D

I also have Dance Tip '95 on CD (my first ever CD), that's packed with classic choons - including Gangsta's Paradise.

It's amazing, you can go for years without hearing a choon, but then you hear it again and everything just comes flooding back. Music truly are the footnotes of history.

Prodigy - holy crap, "Fat of the Land" was perhaps the biggest CD ever when it came out when I was at high school (got it on both CD and cassette). Everybody was into it. I remember first hearing Breathe on an advert for a Cronenberg film (or season of films, not sure) - for Videodrome.

"Pink Sunshine" is still f*cking top class, just before the last chunk of the song it kinda builds up and a bass guitar twangs like "DUN DUN DUN" and I love it. :D

_liam_
26-Jan-2007, 08:01 PM
It's amazing, you can go for years without hearing a choon, but then you hear it again and everything just comes flooding back. Music truly are the footnotes of history.

Prodigy - holy crap, "Fat of the Land" was perhaps the biggest CD ever when it came out when I was at high school (got it on both CD and cassette). Everybody was into it. I remember first hearing Breathe on an advert for a Cronenberg film (or season of films, not sure) - for Videodrome.

i remember that ad! the guy looking at his wounded arm and the words "CRONENBERG" appeared on the screen...

yeah man fat of the land was one of the first albums i ever bought, it's true what you say, listenin to it now, you can almost smell the pencil shavings and school dinners...

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 08:04 PM
Ahhhh ... pencil shavings reminds me of pencil cases - and how utterly filthy mine would get, then I'd have a sesh cleaning it for about an hour and the inside would go from dark gray/black to the original cream again and it'd be such a novelty.

Which pencil case I hear you ask? The one with those raggedy cartoon spiders on, of course! :D

And speaking of albums that your whole year just went nuts over - that Fatboy Slim album (you know, with "right here, right now" and such on it). That went down a storm, it was the official soundtrack (even in the bus) to our school history trip to Belgium (but the driver always skipped past track 3 - "F*cking in Heaven" ... can't imagine why! :lol:)

Danny
26-Jan-2007, 08:10 PM
i made a mix DISC a while back, tapes were a bit before my time, just.
this aint taht old but some of these i aint heard in yonks, others i dont remember putting on there, but im gonna hafta have a listen to this one.

HIM: please dont let it go.
system of a down: question
mad world, god knows by who ,or how it got on there.
HIM: the sacrement
kings of leon: molly chambers
lordi: the devil is a loser
lordi: blood red sandman
lordi: would you love a monsterman?
linkin park: numb (im ashamed of myself yes:dead: )
linkin park: breaking the habit.
the racontuers: steady as she goes
the rasmus: no fear
echo adn the bunnymen :the killing moon (donnie darko soundtrack)
cky:familiar realm
28 days later soundtrack: arcade
fatboy slim: weapon of choice
white stripes: blue orchid.

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 08:25 PM
I fookin' love "Please Don't Let It Go", one of my top five fave HIM tracks. "Would You Love A Monster Man" is proper catchy too.

Mad World - probably by Gary Jules. Otherwise if it sounds all 1980s then it's Tears For Fears.

_liam_
26-Jan-2007, 08:42 PM
Ahhhh ... pencil shavings reminds me of pencil cases - and how utterly filthy mine would get, then I'd have a sesh cleaning it for about an hour and the inside would go from dark gray/black to the original cream again and it'd be such a novelty.

Which pencil case I hear you ask? The one with those raggedy cartoon spiders on, of course! :D

And speaking of albums that your whole year just went nuts over - that Fatboy Slim album (you know, with "right here, right now" and such on it). That went down a storm, it was the official soundtrack (even in the bus) to our school history trip to Belgium (but the driver always skipped past track 3 - "F*cking in Heaven" ... can't imagine why! :lol:)

i always had that pencil cased shaped like a pepsi can :D although i got an official cradle of filth one when i was 14 :evil:

i remember that album, that track "love island" was good as i remember it, though id probably cringe listening to it now!

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2007, 10:14 PM
Cringe, maybe ... but you'd secretly love it - guaranteed. :D I know, cos I do it myself. :p

Tricky
26-Jan-2007, 10:52 PM
The fat of the land album,that was during what i call my "summer of love" fresh out of school,staring wide eyed into the future,i felt so grown up yet i was actually so young and didnt have a clue!the fat boy slim album was around that time as well,i remember loving that rockerfeller skank tune when it was played on the school bus on the way to my GCSE exams!Oasis were huge,as were kula shaker,cornershop were at number one with "brimful of asher",the spice girls were breaking up,all saints were stunning,and i had masses of friends then as most people in your school year were classed as mates!good times,very good as i remember!thats 9 years ago this summer as well :eek:

And speaking of pencil cases,ive kept mine!its shaped like a pepsi can,and is covered on almost every inch in amusing schoolboy graffitti such as "reed is gay" "all the ruffness,one time!" "tim davis pushes the cheesy wheelbarrow" and "B.A. baracus,is so crackers,he jumped a fence and hurt his knackers" plus the obligatory swastika & pentagram,purely for the purpose or annoying religious education teachers!

capncnut
26-Jan-2007, 11:43 PM
I used to do mix tapes for people all the time, hence why I aint got any tracklistings to show you. :p

Cykotic
27-Jan-2007, 10:32 AM
S**t... I haven't done a mixtape in years. I didn't even know anyone still did mixtapes. I thought MP3 playlists had destroyed this noble art.

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2007, 11:20 AM
"B.A. baracus,is so crackers,he jumped a fence and hurt his knackers"

I officially love that, brilliant!

*more memories come flocking back*

I remember the text books we had in German class were always filled with Swastikas, the the R.E. books were always filled with pentagrams and upside down crucifixes...like you said, to 'annoy the establishment', ha!

The classic of course, was Biology text books - FILLED with:

1) Cocks and balls drawn on anything possible.
2) "SLAP" written on the heads of bald people.
3) Those "turn to page [number]" games and it'd end up with calling you a gay bummer or something.

Ohhhh ... classic.

And yep - everybody was "gay" in high school, haha!

Danny
28-Jan-2007, 03:12 PM
really?, i wasnt aware your school was the one from ''if'':lol:

_liam_
28-Jan-2007, 04:11 PM
I officially love that, brilliant!

*more memories come flocking back*

I remember the text books we had in German class were always filled with Swastikas, the the R.E. books were always filled with pentagrams and upside down crucifixes...like you said, to 'annoy the establishment', ha!

The classic of course, was Biology text books - FILLED with:

1) Cocks and balls drawn on anything possible.
2) "SLAP" written on the heads of bald people.
3) Those "turn to page [number]" games and it'd end up with calling you a gay bummer or something.

Ohhhh ... classic.

And yep - everybody was "gay" in high school, haha!

hey MZ, did you watch "Spastics say no"? hur hur hur, also, "if youre hand is bigger than your face, you get cancer...try it" WHACK hur hur hur

here's a comic this dude called TC Raymond did (myspace.com/tcraymond), pretty much sums up english schoollife for me
http://i1.tinypic.com/4gevyvo.jpg

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2007, 04:51 PM
Not that my high school education was like that comic, there's many chunks I most definately recognise. I remember in 1999 when the BBFC had a switch around and they relaxed and a bunch of horror films and violent flicks (Clockwork Orange, TCM, Exorcist) came out and we'd trade fudgy dubbed VHS copies with each other and then dub those for that 3rd generation goodness (that just made such films even more powerful - TCM on remastered DVD ... it's just not the same is it?)

Treading into the Sixth Former's territory was also a kind of two fingers up to them, although I respected my elders so I didn't bother (what is there to gain?) But I remember all the little sh*t bastards coming into our territory when I was in Sixth Form.

*woah, Sixth Form Lower Sixth flashback*

We all had our particular areas to sit in - and everybody knew who's area was who's. We had a blackboard at our bit and we used to put all the wrappers from crisps and choccie bars around this massive blackboard - ALL the way around, tucked in behind it. There must have been £100 worth of food wrappers all around there.

And we were obsessed with making rank concoctions in tea cups and hiding them to see how mouldy they go (we had some stonkers - hid them above the ceiling tiles too).

Ahhhhh ... trip back in time alright.

_liam_
28-Jan-2007, 05:10 PM
And we were obsessed with making rank concoctions in tea cups and hiding them to see how mouldy they go (we had some stonkers - hid them above the ceiling tiles too).

Ahhhhh ... trip back in time alright.

DUDE, we did the exact same thing, we busted open this locker in year 10 cos it stunk of crap and there were flies coming out of the grille, turns out there was this bowl of mouldy pasta in there, so we nicked it, and stashed it above the ceiling tiles in one of the english rooms, every now and then we'd take it down and feed it crisps and coke, etc. it grew to the point where it was spilling over the edges, we named it quatermass :lol:

then one day word came down that the deputy head had got wind of quatermass and was coming to investigate, so i grabbed it and flung it further into the ceiling cavity, where it presumably lives and breeds to this day...

capncnut
28-Jan-2007, 06:12 PM
we busted open this locker in year 10 cos it stunk of crap and there were flies coming out of the grille, turns out there was this bowl of mouldy pasta in there, so we nicked it, and stashed it above the ceiling tiles in one of the english rooms, every now and then we'd take it down and feed it crisps and coke, etc. it grew to the point where it was spilling over the edges, we named it quatermass.

LOL. I wish my school pranks were that creative. At best it was pinning a nudey pic to the blackboard or pulling someone's chair away as they sat down (usually the class boffin). Still, the lowest of the barrel gags are always the funniest. :lol:

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2007, 09:19 PM
Liam - classic, we used to feed our cups-o-mold as well. :lol:

I remember when we were set work by a teacher who was not going to be there for a lesson (but was being replaced by a temp), we'd roll the blackboard (if it was a rolling one) around so the work wasn't displayed. Then we'd say we weren't set anything and then it was the easiest f*cking lesson ever.

Then if the then-absent teacher asked us why we hadn't done the work when they got back, we say we didn't know there was anything as it wasn't on the board - "perhaps someone spun it round". :lol:

*Yawn04 on Channel 4* ... *grumbles that GAR's credit is far shorter than the Yawn04 script writer, and is "blown away" far quicker than anyone elses*

Tricky
28-Jan-2007, 09:28 PM
We had "death corridor" at our school,it was a narrow corridor in the middle school building (there was lower,middle & upper schools at my secondary school all on the same site) and it was where all the bigger kids would march down between lessons & swing their bags off their shoulders into the smaller kids,sometimes flooring them :lol: when we were year 7's death corridor was to be feared,but once we got into year 10 ourselves,we owned it & the first years feared us!
I remember the pant soiling fear i used to get when i walked into the school toilets on my own,and there would be all the "hard kids" smoking in there,i just knew i was in for some treatment...
Other times we would soak loads of bog roll & splat it all over the walls & skylights in the toilets :lol:

Aaah yes MZ,i remember the rolling blackboards,if we were in the classroom before the teacher we would always do a badly drawn cock on there,or write "....... is gay" on there & roll it round so it was revealed later in the lesson

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2007, 10:16 PM
Tricky - likin' the roller-board abuse. :thumbsup:

Ahhh yes, while we didn't have a "death corridor", we had the "corridor gauntlet", it was like "corridor moshing" almost. Sometimes it was a real rammy, just insane, seriously chocka-block. And hell yeah, once you get old enough to hold your head higher than others and carry the massive bag (I had a succession of black "Head" bags - the long ones, which weren't back packs), man did I plough through the masses with that beast packed full of GCSE folders and text books. :elol:

The teachers attempted to ban carrying those bags at shoulder level, but how can you enforce that sh*t?! That's as unworkable as the average piece of Labour legislation! :lol:

Ah geez, the toilets were a fearful place to tread. They were insanely rank for starters, but the thugs would hang out there (and the dreaded mong-thug) so it's even worse. Fortunately at that stage I could go through an entire day at school without taking a piss, and that was even when guzzling off a big drink at lunch (fizzy orange - classic, loved it for doing "zombie froth" and faking death scenes, ha!)

Ahhh ... where me and my mates hung out there were flower beds, our bags would be lined up around the perimeter of the flowerbed and we'd all huddle around the same copy of Max Power Magazine and gawp at the boobs and pretend we knew what we were talking about when it came to cars. :lol: