PDA

View Full Version : kung fu flicks...

Mike70
31-Jan-2007, 09:20 PM
any other fans of these wonderful pieces of entertainment in here?

i would say my favs are: the chinese connection, blood of the dragon (one of the best end movie throwdowns ever- one guy goes out the back door, one out the front and they take on like 30 dudes each), 18 fatal strikes (one of the best kung flicks ever), the master of the flying guillotine and the all time greatest martial arts film ever- street fighter with sonny chiba.

kung fu movies have to be the only films that are actually better when they are dubbed into (hopefully poor) english. they seem to be pretty much of guy thing too. my wife just doesn't get them.

axlish
31-Jan-2007, 09:38 PM
I despise dubbing! Subs are the only way to go.

My favorites are...

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Two Champions of Shaolin
Fist of Legend
Tai Chi Master
Tattoo Connection
Enter the Dragon

slickwilly13
31-Jan-2007, 09:50 PM
I catch Master of the Flying Guillotine on cable every now and then. Funny movie.

zombie04
01-Feb-2007, 12:29 AM
My two favorites are Street Fighter with Sonny Chiba and Enter the Dragon. and the one when Bruce Lee fought Kareem Abdul Jabar, I forgot the name of it but I think it was his last movie.

Eyebiter
01-Feb-2007, 12:32 AM
Bruce Lee movies

The Cannon Films Ninja series (Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, Ninja III: the Domination).

Silent Rage with Chuck Norris, one of the few martial arts horror movies from the 80's.

My two favorites are Street Fighter with Sonny Chiba and Enter the Dragon. and the one when Bruce Lee fought Kareem Abdul Jabar, I forgot the name of it but I think it was his last movie.

The Game of Death (1978)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077594/

zombie04
01-Feb-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks Eyebiter. The movie wasn't too great but I loved the action scenes...at least the stuff I saw on AMC. Actually I think some of it may have been deleted footage.

capncnut
01-Feb-2007, 12:58 AM
Love ALL the Bruce Lee movies, including Game Of Death. Sonny Chiba's cool, Sammo Hung is way underrated and Tony Jaa is AMAZING! Jackie Chan is okay (I only like his early movies) but I have no time for the likes of Jet Li or Jean Claude Van Damme (except Kickboxer). My fave martial arts movie has to be Bruce Lee's first film "The Big Boss", no question about it.

prettycorpses
02-Feb-2007, 12:51 PM
I love kung fu films....Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Stephen Chow, Jackie Chans earlier stuff, Jet Li, Michelle Yeohs pretty cool, Donnie Yens not too bad, and theres loadsa others too :)

axlish
02-Feb-2007, 01:27 PM
but I have no time for the likes of Jet Li or Jean Claude Van Damme

JCVD I can understand, but if you haven't seen a pre USA Jet Li movie, I'd hold the comments.

Prettycorpses, Donnie Yen is the man, but oh boy he has some wack movies.

_liam_
02-Feb-2007, 01:41 PM
enter the dragon
the big boss
game of death
ong bak
police story
ninja in the dragons den (AMAZING)
the leopard fist ninja
project a 2
operation condor
dunno if these count but pretty much any of the babycart movies
story of ricky (INSANE)

forgotten the name of this one, but this dude works in a guy's goldmine as a slave, and he tries to rebel or something so they cripple his arms, so he must fight back by mastering the HEAVEN LEGS technique.:D classic.

capncnut
02-Feb-2007, 01:54 PM
if you haven't seen a pre USA Jet Li movie, I'd hold the comments.

Seen 'em all man, he just don't do it for me.

_liam_
02-Feb-2007, 02:02 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/10/15/bruce-lee.jpg
+
http://www.state.nd.us/arts/artist_archive/R/Reynolds_Wm-ballerina.jpg
=
http://im.rediff.com/movies/2004/dec/29jet.jpg

capncnut
02-Feb-2007, 02:08 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

axlish
02-Feb-2007, 03:54 PM
Uhhh, yeah dude, Jet Li is a straight up fighter.

If you want a ballerina (sp*), check out Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and the rest of the Yuen Clan.

Knut, you've seen em all? 20 + movies? Why sit through so much that you don't like? :rolleyes:

_liam_
02-Feb-2007, 04:28 PM
jackie chan a ballerina?! he is like, the most ungraceful, clunky clown! he based a lot of his shtick on charlie chaplin movies etc. i'd say chan is an ok fighter but an excellent action choreographer & stuntman.

jet li is an excellent fighter, but look how florid his moves are in his more recent movies, there's so much spinning around and unnecessary movement, he does it to make a straightforward punchup look more interesting, that's what i meant by the ballerina thing. movies like "romero must die" and "the one" are so OTT.

Danny
02-Feb-2007, 04:42 PM
i notice there aint any steven segal fans:lol:

axlish
02-Feb-2007, 04:43 PM
jackie chan a ballerina?! he is like, the most ungraceful, clunky clown! he based a lot of his shtick on charlie chaplin movies etc. i'd say chan is an ok fighter but an excellent action choreographer & stuntman.

jet li is an excellent fighter, but look how florid his moves are in his more recent movies, there's so much spinning around and unnecessary movement, he does it to make a straightforward punchup look more interesting, that's what i meant by the ballerina thing. movies like "romero must die" and "the one" are so OTT.

Jackie, Sammo & Yuen Biao all trained at the Chinese Opera Academy. It is a hybrid of Martial Arts, Tumbling, Dance and Acting.

The Jet Li films you are talking about are his USA films, which were mostly coordinated by Yuen Wo Ping, also trained in Chinese Opera w/ Jackie and Sammo. He also arranged the fights on the Matrix, and assloads of other films. Seriously Liam, check out Fist of Legend, please.

Also, I really enjoyed Fearless, a return to form for him. It suffered a little from Ronny Yu's direction (who I usually enjoy), but it featured much less wire-fu than usual.

capncnut
02-Feb-2007, 06:32 PM
Knut, you've seen em all? 20 + movies? Why sit through so much that you don't like? :rolleyes:

Cos I'm a glutton for punishment thats why. :rolleyes:

And I like to view before I buy so that does involve wading through piles of crap films unfortunately.

I saw all of his early movies not the later ones because (let's be honest) he aint all that. Fist Of Legend was the last straw with me. Since then I learned to stick with the best and to me the VERY best is Bruce, Jaa, Hung and early Chan.