PDA

View Full Version : RIAA may be getting a taste of it's own medicine. Owned?

Wooley
01-Feb-2007, 05:26 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070131/ap_en_mu/music_download_suit

The music industry accused this young man of illegal file swapping. He is demanding they prove he illegally traded anything, and isn't paying them anything. In fact, he is accusin them of collusion in their pursuit of file swappers, and it sounded like he's going to counter sue.

DeadJonas190
01-Feb-2007, 07:03 AM
Good for him, I hope he wins. The music industry sales aren't down due to piracy, they are down because they release garbage music over and over and expect people to buy it. Release some good music once in a while and maybe there will be an increase in sales.

MinionZombie
01-Feb-2007, 11:36 AM
Damn straight, and good luck to the counter-sue bloke.

If the music was great, people would buy it, but if it's nothing more than "alright" or "meh", then who in their right mind is gonna drop a tenner on it?!

The RIAA, one of the many groups complaining about downloading, without actually seeking to understand the culture itself.

EvilNed
01-Feb-2007, 05:08 PM
Actually the music sales are down quite alot due to piracy. But that was like ten damn years ago. I mean, Napster is what started this whole thing and Napster is OLD.

So yes, music sales went down. But it's like saying ticket sales went down when they came with the television: They did go down. But there's nothing you can do about it so adapt!

capncnut
02-Feb-2007, 11:47 AM
If they want music sales to rise then may I suggest they stop charging 13 notes a cd and lower the damn price. Seriously, if a band you liked released a new cd and it was say, 5 or 6 quid for the album, would you still download it then? I know I wouldn't.

coma
04-Feb-2007, 12:19 AM
Actually the music sales are down quite alot due to piracy. But that was like ten damn years ago. I mean, Napster is what started this whole thing and Napster is OLD.

So yes, music sales went down. But it's like saying ticket sales went down when they came with the television: They did go down. But there's nothing you can do about it so adapt!
10 years or so ago people were still replacing their records and cassettes with CDs. Another reason records dont sell as much is because they suck. Corporate control of radio and most stores(few independents left) insure that ****e tunes get play and space in stores. Trends slow down because corporate companies artificially prop up garbage and trite bands/acts long after their novelty has expired.
Rap music for example. Every year used to sound totally different form the last. Now it stays identical for 5, 6 more years at a time. That is not the naturlal progression, it is corporate cockery.
Cds should be 5, 7 dollars not 2o plus sometimes. Put out better product at a reasonable price and they will sell more.

Danny
04-Feb-2007, 12:24 AM
i own 2 CD'S

CKY: infiltrate.destroy.rebuild. and HIM: dark light, yet i have 438 mp3 files on my pc:p

i cant help but feel i shoudl have a parrot on my shoulder and be yelling "aaargh!" looking for my mug of grog.

MinionZombie
04-Feb-2007, 11:02 AM
That's all you've amassed in your 19 years?! :eek:

Anyway...

Personally, I've got a decent sized CD collection and coming up on 3500 MP3s in my WinAmp list (there's more that I took out as I don't listen to it anymore, or it was a passing fad at uni for example.)