PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to an HDTV...maybe

Scott
04-Feb-2007, 12:25 AM
Ok, so I have for a long time wanted an HDTV, and now I finally have the spending money to do so, but now I have problems.

A couple of months back I bought a 52'' Mitsubishi DLP 1080p TV (2200.00). Looked great in the store and bought it on impulse. I hooked it up to the following:

PS2:
Cables: RCA
Result: Crappy image, was expected due to the RCA Cables and not component.

Regular DVD Player then a Progressive Scan DVD Player:
Cables: RCA, then Component
Result: When on regular DVD player the movie looked like a VHS copy that had been copied way too many times, very dark, murky and blurry. When the Prog. Scan and component cables were hooked up, the image was better but everything was still pretty blurry/boxy and murky. I did go through every video setting the TV had but with no avail, so I returned the TV.

I went into Best Buy last night and the sales rep pretty much told me that with any HDTV, even with an upconverting DVD player and HDMI cables, the best the image was going to be was a display he showed me, which looked good (Gladiator) but unless the image was of someone/thing up close the image was still kinda blurry/boxy image.

So here's my question. With standard DVDs, hooked up to a decent Prog. Scan DVD player (or even an upcoverting dvd player), with decent cables, and a decent HDTV, will the image ever look really good? I'm not expecting to be blown away because its not an HD DVD player/HD-DVDs, but I would like at least a decent improvment over standard TV and DVD players.

Sorry if this was long and boring, I just know there are alot of movie buffs in here who could probably answer these inquiries for me. And yes I have sought out google, and HD sites prior to posting this.

Thanks in advance!