PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever see those old quatermass films?

Danny
04-Feb-2007, 05:03 AM
http://members.aol.com/cinemabritain/quatermass.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/quatermass/

anybody ever see any of these, they sound pretty good ,kinda lovecraft like in parts but i cant seem to find em, i think they did a remake with david tennat in a while back but never saw it, but if this was in taht "100 scariest moments" like 3 times it should be pretty good, and all i found on youtube was a trailer.

dracenstein
04-Feb-2007, 11:16 AM
I have seen the original Quatermass and the Pit and the Hammer remakes. I liked them, especially the BBC Quatermass and the Pit.

The original BBC tv serials, at least the first two, (Quatermass, Quatermass II were broadcasted live, but sadly not recorded, so there's only still photos and, I believe, soundtracks, in existence.

The Hammer version of Quatermass II is really good, a convincing alien invasion tale.

An ITV company made a three part story, I think simply called Quatermass, but I think it had an alternate title I can't think off at the moment. It starred John Mills as the scientist. As I remember, it was alright. I haven't seen it in years.

The BBC remake of Quatermass was also broadcasted live on BBC3? I have yet to see that one. It's one that I want to see. It does have David Tennant and I think Mark Gatiss as Quatermass.

The original Quatermass serials was the start of British tv sci-fi, the first airing about eight-ten years before Doctor Who.

Brilliant!!!

capncnut
04-Feb-2007, 03:31 PM
Some of the original Quatermass serial survived cos they showed a few clips on a BBC3 programme once. If my mind serves me correctly, the first two episodes were recorded but because of the exceptional low quality they never taped episodes 3 to 6. Obviously, I wasn't alive to see the orginal but some older friends of mine have told me that it was awesome - as was the original 1984 with Peter Cushing. I saw the Hammer movies and they were pretty good but I haven't seen 'em around to buy. The ITV series with John Mills was released on some s**ty label DVD (probably Carlton) a while back but I have no idea if it is still available. The series kept me hooked as a nipper and was one of those unforgettable tv moments when you grow up. I still got the books around here someplace.

_liam_
04-Feb-2007, 03:52 PM
i love all quatermass, my favourites are the hammer remake of quatermass and the pit with andrew keir, and the ITV quatermass conclusion thing. proper decent apocalyptic british sci fi.

wasn't big on the recent live remake with david tennant though.

Tricky
04-Feb-2007, 03:59 PM
Quatermass and the pit was great as i remember,im sure ive seen others as well but it was that long ago i cant remember now!

Danny
04-Feb-2007, 04:02 PM
and this is one job youtube cant solve, unbelievable!:dead:

capncnut
04-Feb-2007, 04:17 PM
my favourites are the hammer remake of quatermass and the pit with andrew keir

Great actor. Hell, he was even good in Dalek Ivasion Of The Earth 2150. :D

_liam_
04-Feb-2007, 04:25 PM
and the badass deer killing priest in dracula : prince of darkness :D