PDA

View Full Version : Films you like but everyone else hates

EvilNed
05-Feb-2007, 05:33 PM
What films do you like that everybody else hates? The films that you just think are sorely misunderstood or underestimated in any way.

The great thing about film is that we all like different things. Otherwise, it'd be a very dull film industry we had. There's no such thing as good or bad taste, so forget about all that. People who rant about how poor your taste is are just stupid and have got it all wrong. Taste is just different.

Here's a few I really like:

The Matrix Reloaded / Revolutions

I liked them because they were very different from anything else we had seen. Plus I think the Wachowsky brothers did such excellent job in the action scenes that they just blew me away. These days I think it's hard to come across truly adrenaline pumping fight scenes because of the excessive editing used. But these films have top notch action. Besides I like their plot, atmosphere and overall storyline. A sci-fi epic. How often do we get that?

Alexander

It's a strange movie. And I can totally understand why so many don't like it. But I love it. Unlike Troy, King Arthur and 300 this film actually portrays history accurately. A few events have been lobbed around for pacings sake. But the detail and story arc is as close as one could make of Alexanders life and death in a 3 hour film. I was especially pleased to see the greek army using long pikes. Oliver Stone really did his homework, and plus I think it's a really deep story with many layers in it.

The Last Action Hero

I had a blast during this Arnold flick where he parodies himself and the action genre as a whole. The jokes were funny, the action was fast-paced and it has Arnold. I don't see what all the fuzz is about. I can't see any faults with it.

The 13th Warrior

Vikings are cool and so are adventures. Sure the Vikings wield huge swords that would be so impractical in reality and Antonio Banderas plays an arab. But I like the music, the action and the story. As an adventure film, I think it's one of the best since Conan.

bassman
05-Feb-2007, 05:53 PM
As you said.....everyone is different and everyone has different tastes, but these are a few that I enjoy and the majority of people that i'm normally around dislike.

"The burbs"
"Dragnet"(the Dan Aykroyd/Tom Hanks movie remake)
"Nothing But Trouble"
Most of the "Ernest....." movies
"Spaced Invaders"
"The Frighteners"
"Requiem for a Dream"
"Dark City"
"Being John Malkovich"
"Judge Dread"
"Airheads"

And I guess that's about all I can think of. Most of them I pretty much sum up as guilty pleasures.

ash
05-Feb-2007, 06:07 PM
The War of the Worlds 2005. Most people insult it's ending, some with good reason and some with crap reason. Those with a good reson insult the fact that it ended with everyone reuniting, and those with a crap reason insult the fact that the aliens were defeated by bacteria and such. They are too stupid to accept anythin other than a big action scene to finally defeat aliens in a scifi movie, the fucktards.

_liam_
05-Feb-2007, 06:49 PM
i loved war of the worlds 05 and reqiuem for a dream.

day of the dead!!!
just about any arnold movie.
plan 9 from outer space

i like a lot of b movies and old horror movies that are cack.
the ghoul (1975) is a good one.

Danny
05-Feb-2007, 09:17 PM
haggard
dragnet (dan akaroyd is a legend. :cool: )
dark city
the frieghtners
the lord of the rings (im the only person in my film class that likes it)
dead birds
...im kinda liking dawn 04' now moreadays, 'specially conmpared to land.
the 5th element.
the grudge.
transformers the movie (the 80's one, screw those gay-ass thundercats!:lol: )

_liam_
05-Feb-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah the 5th element rules!

CornishCorpse
05-Feb-2007, 10:03 PM
The last action hero? Come on, that is a damn good movie. I fail to see how people couldnt enjoy that! Haggard I enjoyed because it was just so freaking..random. The watermelon scene? Oiy! :D

My list
Dusk till Dawn
Nightwatch ( freak out value )
Mr Ben
Ginger Snaps two
Evil dead 3: Army of Darkness
Braindead
Ichi the Killer
Kung fu hustle
Day of the Triffids
Sumarai Commando

jdog
05-Feb-2007, 10:09 PM
most of my movies my friends hate (except for my girl friend thank god).
these or the ones they ripped on the most
chud
day of the dead
evil deads
return of the killer tomatoes
maniac cop
all classics in my books(well not all i guess)

Craig
05-Feb-2007, 10:36 PM
Day of the Dead was my favourite of the Dead films and since quite a few are putting this I'll put it too.
I love Rambo First Blood - Part II and Rambo III, even though the first Rambo film had the most believable idea I prefer the ones where he is just slugging it out in Vietnam and Afghanistan.
I don't really know which and how many of the films I have people don't like, so I haven't got much else to say.

bassman
06-Feb-2007, 02:45 AM
Day of the Dead was my favourite of the Dead films and since quite a few are putting this I'll put it too.
I love Rambo First Blood - Part II and Rambo III, even though the first Rambo film had the most believable idea I prefer the ones where he is just slugging it out in Vietnam and Afghanistan.
I don't really know which and how many of the films I have people don't like, so I haven't got much else to say.

I can tell ya, man....from myself and the people I know, "First Blood" is by far the best. I have yet to meet anyone who has said that the two sequels are better than the original( I still don't understand why they changed the name of the sequels from "First Blood" to "Rambo":confused: ).

MikePizzoff
06-Feb-2007, 03:09 AM
Most of these movies being listed are liked by the majority of people... just that, for some reason, everyone seems to think that nobody likes them.

coma
06-Feb-2007, 03:22 AM
Most of these movies being listed are liked by the majority of people... just that, for some reason, everyone seems to think that nobody likes them.
Who doesnt like Army of Darkness?!?!?!
Half the movies CornishCorpse (and others, but him particularly, no offense) listed are really popular.

A real answer is I like Jersey Girl. Everybody hates that movie, but I liked it, alot. Sap and all.

If I said I loved Battlefield Earth, thats what I thought this thread was supposed to be (That movie is universally reviled, and I didnt like it either)

Or Judge Dredd, which I really liked even though I knew it was ass.

ngm231
06-Feb-2007, 03:37 AM
day of the dead
hannibal, people are always bitchin about it..
and i know theres more but im kinda brain dead right now

slickwilly13
06-Feb-2007, 05:28 AM
C.h.u.d. 2

EvilNed
06-Feb-2007, 10:11 AM
Battlefield Earth I could actually enjoy as a good popcorn flick when it first came out. But I rewatched it once, and it's expressionist camera angles made me nausious.

I also like Waterworld. That is a fine piece of adventure.

CornishCorpse
06-Feb-2007, 10:47 AM
My response is that the films I listed are unpopular amongest my group of friends not in the mainstream, I mean offline I have friends who hate GAR but in the outisde world he is both loved and hated.

I guess I misintrepted the question, strike two

capncnut
06-Feb-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm amazed people are putting up Day of the Dead and Army of Darkness because they are all highly rated movies. :confused:

Jersey Girl
No Retreat No Surrender
Beverly Hills Cop 3

Can't think of any more. Oh yeah, the War of the Worlds remake was pretty damn good.

Craig
06-Feb-2007, 03:55 PM
I can tell ya, man....from myself and the people I know, "First Blood" is by far the best. I have yet to meet anyone who has said that the two sequels are better than the original
Well, I like the sequels, so there, now you have. :D

bassman
06-Feb-2007, 07:51 PM
We haven't met, so you don't count.:moon:

Craig
06-Feb-2007, 07:54 PM
We haven't met, so you don't count.:moon:
Fair play, but you do know that someone who prefers the sequels exists now.

_liam_
06-Feb-2007, 08:00 PM
nah mate go to a non GAR forum, you'll have a hard time convincing people day of the dead is decent

Philly_SWAT
06-Feb-2007, 08:08 PM
One that comes immediately to mind is "Striking Distance" starring Bruce Willis. Even Bruce Willis apologized for the movie, saying "it sucked". Personally, I like it a lot. It was set in Pittsburgh, which gives the film a different set of locales to see rather than the typical either New York or LA. There is a fantastic car chase scene in the beginning, possibly one of the best car chase scenes ever, including a truck of "Iron City Beer" spilling over. The "cops on the river" is not used often in movies, so that was a plus. Yes, there are some obvious plot problems, but overall, I think it is a great action movie, and shows off the beauty of Pittsburgh very well.

jdog
06-Feb-2007, 11:00 PM
One that comes immediately to mind is "Striking Distance" starring Bruce Willis. Even Bruce Willis apologized for the movie, saying "it sucked". Personally, I like it a lot. It was set in Pittsburgh, which gives the film a different set of locales to see rather than the typical either New York or LA. There is a fantastic car chase scene in the beginning, possibly one of the best car chase scenes ever, including a truck of "Iron City Beer" spilling over. The "cops on the river" is not used often in movies, so that was a plus. Yes, there are some obvious plot problems, but overall, I think it is a great action movie, and shows off the beauty of Pittsburgh very well.

striking distance is a good film in my books to and my friends seemed to like it as well. what i like about it is it is a little similar to maniac cop which is also one of my favorits and a movie not many peaple i know like.

twistbud
07-Feb-2007, 12:03 AM
Maximum Overdrive!

_liam_
07-Feb-2007, 12:34 AM
KRULL!
HAWK THE SLAYER!
ZARDOZ!

you know what i'm sayin?!

coma
07-Feb-2007, 03:35 AM
KRULL!
HAWK THE SLAYER!
ZARDOZ!

you know what i'm sayin?!
ZARDOZ!!!!!

What about Laserblast?
I also Liked Message from Space alot as a kid

_liam_
07-Feb-2007, 03:51 AM
http://www.scoretrack.net/zardoz%20foto.jpg
http://hem.passagen.se/tallgren2/zardoz-gun.jpg

zardoz is where it's at.
in the words of max & paddy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=niz_KUoC7PQ),
"what were that mad one where he gets his cock out?"
" - zardoz"
" oh aye"

msg from space was cool if its the one i'm thinking of - sonny chiba's star wars basically, yeh?

coma
07-Feb-2007, 04:29 AM
msg from space was cool if its the one i'm thinking of - sonny chiba's star wars basically, yeh?
Thats the one. I saw every space movie around 77-80 including the ctappy Black Hole and Moonraker and Theatrical Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers.

jdog
07-Feb-2007, 06:48 AM
Maximum Overdrive!

sweet flick. king should have directed more of the movies done on his stories

capncnut
07-Feb-2007, 01:40 PM
What was that crap Star Wars clone with David Hasselhoff? STARCRASH!!! Yeah, that movie kicked ass!

Anyone remember The Eliminators? :lol:

DVW5150
07-Feb-2007, 03:39 PM
The War of the Worlds 2005. Most people insult it's ending, some with good reason and some with crap reason. Those with a good reson insult the fact that it ended with everyone reuniting, and those with a crap reason insult the fact that the aliens were defeated by bacteria and such. They are too stupid to accept anythin other than a big action scene to finally defeat aliens in a scifi movie, the fucktards.
RIGHT ON ! :elol: I also like Morgan Freemans' narration ... I bought the dvd , and watch it once in while . Its the littlest of foes that sometimes kick ass the most effectively ...

Minerva_Zombi
07-Feb-2007, 04:02 PM
UHF
Last Action Hero
Eyes Wide Shut
Leatherface : Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3

HLS
07-Feb-2007, 04:18 PM
A movie that comes to my mind is American Psycho. I love the movie yet everyone I know hates it. I Thought it was origional and at the end your left wondering if the guy actually killed anyone or if it was just in his mind. I liked how the story was narriated by his thoughts. Another movie that comes to mind is Lawrence of Arabia and Fiddler on the Roof. Many people do not have an appreciation for the older classic movies any more.

bassman
07-Feb-2007, 04:37 PM
A movie that comes to my mind is American Psycho. I love the movie yet everyone I know hates it. I Thought it was origional and at the end your left wondering if the guy actually killed anyone or if it was just in his mind. I liked how the story was narriated by his thoughts. Another movie that comes to mind is Lawrence of Arabia and Fiddler on the Roof. Many people do not have an appreciation for the older classic movies any more.

Wha wha wha??? I understand that the people that you know don't like "American Psycho", but everyone I know loves it. It's a great flick.

And where the hell do you get the idea that alot of people don't like "Lawrence of Arabia"(although, i'm sure you meant the people around you)? It's an amazing classic film. That's like saying most people don't like "Ben Hur".....

You should slap the people that said those things.:p

HLS
07-Feb-2007, 04:58 PM
I was referring to everyone that I know.

Yes, I love Lawrence of Arabia. It is a wonderful flick.

EvilNed
07-Feb-2007, 05:18 PM
Lawrence of Arabia is considered a classic and is number #28 on IMDbs Top 250 films list. So it's a generally well liked movie. :p

HLS
07-Feb-2007, 05:27 PM
RIGHT ON ! :elol: I also like Morgan Freemans' narration ... I bought the dvd , and watch it once in while . Its the littlest of foes that sometimes kick ass the most effectively ...

Morgan Freeman is awesome in every thing he does.

capncnut
07-Feb-2007, 05:36 PM
A movie that comes to my mind is American Psycho. I love the movie yet everyone I know hates it.

Yeah and I'm one of those people. When you read the book then watch the film, there's no comparison. Who the hell gave Bale the role of Bateman? There's no denying that he's a good (well, more like reasonable) actor but I wanted more menace and a lot more vanity. At the end of the day, it's another poor Easton Elis movie translation. Yeah, I'm saying Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction were s**t. Read the books. Makes the movies look piss poor.

HLS
07-Feb-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah and I'm one of those people. When you read the book then watch the film, there's no comparison. Who the hell gave Bale the role of Bateman? There's no denying that he's a good (well, more like reasonable) actor but I wanted more menace and a lot more vanity. At the end of the day, it's another poor Easton Elis movie translation. Yeah, I'm saying Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction were s**t. Read the books. Makes the movies look piss poor.

I thought he did a good job on the vanity part but Bale did not seem menacing enough. But I liked it never the less. I wonder if the sequel they made to it is any good?

capncnut
07-Feb-2007, 05:42 PM
I wonder if the sequel they made to it is any good?

What the one with the chick? Don't go there, it was awful.

HLS
07-Feb-2007, 05:54 PM
I think it was the chick from Sleepy Hollow Christina Ricci? or something like that. Hell I do not remember the name

bassman
07-Feb-2007, 06:49 PM
Actually, it was Mila Kunis. Jackie from "That 70's Show" and Meg from "Family Guy" played the psycho.:lol: And no....it wasn't very good.:|

It did have Sgt. TJ Hooker himself......William Shatner, though.:D

It also sported two actresses from Yawn.:rockbrow: I didn't realize...

DVW5150
07-Feb-2007, 07:11 PM
I thought he did a good job on the vanity part but Bale did not seem menacing enough. But I liked it never the less. I wonder if the sequel they made to it is any good? Sequel was a serious waste of financial pathos . I loved Bales acting when he plays Huey Lewis and and hacks that dork ... "The Machinist" is great and I love "Equalibrium " ...

HLS
07-Feb-2007, 07:18 PM
Sequel was a serious waste of financial pathos . I loved Bales acting when he plays Huey Lewis and and hacks that dork ... "The Machinist" is great and I love "Equalibrium " ...

You read my mind. Ya that was my fav. scene in the movie. I also thought Bale made A GOOD BATMAN

coma
07-Feb-2007, 10:05 PM
You read my mind. Ya that was my fav. scene in the movie. I also thought Bale made A GOOD BATMAN
A GREAT Batman. Who could do it better?
Machinist was really fantastic. Bales a great actor.
didnt see Equalslldlf;dgfgf (spelli?:D)

EvilNed
07-Feb-2007, 10:25 PM
I also like all John Carpenter films. Even the new ones. Vampires is cool, Ghosts of Mars is neat too.

coma
07-Feb-2007, 10:30 PM
I also like all John Carpenter films. Even the new ones. Vampires is cool, Ghosts of Mars is neat too.
He gives his characters really bad names in his latter films (Cuervo/DEsolation JOnes for example) but I am still a big fan

capncnut
07-Feb-2007, 11:45 PM
Assault On Precinct 13. There ain't nothing he's made that even comes close in my estimation. Halloween, Escape From New York and The Thing can slug it out for 2nd place.

Chaos
08-Feb-2007, 01:14 AM
The Boondock Saints
Ice Harvest
Massacre At Central High
Pom Pom Girls
Howling II: Your Sister's A Werewolf

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 02:08 AM
this is spinal tap, my friend's all ahte it but i like it, though they all like rocky horror and i think thats a piece 'o' **** me'self.

capncnut
08-Feb-2007, 02:29 AM
they all like rocky horror and i think thats a piece 'o' **** me'self.

BLASPHEMY! :mad:

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 02:57 AM
well i dont like musicals anyway, its just about halfway through it just kinda unravels ,like the director got board and thought "ah screw it lets just do more mind **** stuff and leave it at that". its not bad presay i just dont like it personally.

capncnut
08-Feb-2007, 03:01 AM
Nah, I can understand why Rocky Horror wouldn't be to everyones tastes. It's about a bunch of bi-sexual, transvestite aliens singing a bunch of songs after all. :D

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 03:04 AM
the only thing that sold it for me was being told "tim curry eats meatloaf":lol:

-note-not the dish, the singer.

coma
08-Feb-2007, 03:16 AM
Massacre At Central High

That movie is an underreated, underseen total classic.
I first hreard of it from Siskel And Ebery when they were on PBS in the late 70s.. They loved it. Siskel had real good taste.

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 03:18 AM
just remembered another one.

mallrats, most smith fans hate this but its one of my personal favourites, id say it ties with chasing amy as my favourite kevin smith film.

capncnut
08-Feb-2007, 03:27 AM
Hellz, I couldn't agree with you more man.

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 03:33 AM
word byatch, i mean getting stan lee to star in it was awesome, especially for hs second ever movie.
it reminded me of those old 90's movies and tv shows but without the canned laughter.

which, honestly, who needs that anyway?

capncnut
08-Feb-2007, 04:06 AM
I saw a fantastic Stan Lee interview by Kevin Smith not too long ago on Sky Movies. He really delved into the origins of the characters and how Stan's comics really affected him as a kid and now. A good 90 minutes too, I'll have to look out for it again 'cause I really enjoyed it.

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 04:08 AM
its was called men and monsters or something wasnt it?

capncnut
08-Feb-2007, 04:11 AM
That's the one! I wonder if it's on dvd? As much as Smith tries to be a straightfaced interviewer, he acts like a pure geek fanboy. :lol:

EvilNed
08-Feb-2007, 02:40 PM
I like some of Jet Lis hollywood escapades. Romeo Must Die was great. And Kiss of the Dragon ain't half-bad.

Craig
08-Feb-2007, 03:53 PM
The Warriors, it's classed as a cult film so I guess that means there are people that don't like it but I think it's a masterpiece. The game was amazing as well (yes I did see it before I played the game).

zombie04
08-Feb-2007, 08:23 PM

You forgot the best part of that movie, it has Dennis Farina. Anything that man makes i great, that's why I say if you took Rosie O'Donnell out of Stakeout 2 you'd have a good movie.

Danny
08-Feb-2007, 08:46 PM
starship troopers, f the naysayers i dug it:cool: