PDA

View Full Version : oblivion:shivering isles

Danny
07-Feb-2007, 07:42 PM
http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/elderscrollsivshiveringisles/news.html?sid=6165504&tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

am i the only one excited by this, new guilds, tons of new quests, 10 new achievements and an entirely new land to explore with all kinds of wierd crap in em to fight, this sounds really good, much better than tribunal was for morrowind, bloodmoon was all right though, wonder if there'l be a new dementia/mania transformation to replace the werewolf from its predecessors expansions.
if you too lazy to "make with the clicky clicky", heres a few of the best sounding things about this.

Before we even got to the two halves of the land, though, we encountered the formerly deserted village of Passwall, which had recently been reoccupied by a group of crazed characters who were waiting for Sheogorath's permission to pass through the final gate and enter the isles. A necromancer living in the town had created a hulking, Frankenstein's-monster-like undead golem to protect the gate, and the keys for this doorway were unfortunately sewn right into the monster's flesh. So we went through a relatively short but satisfying quest during which we had to obtain information from several townspeople (and specifically use our persuasive skill to make one of them talk), put a few clues together, enlist the aid of a traveling fighter, break into a local boneyard, and finally bring down the creature at the stroke of midnight to prove our worth, get the keys, and enter the realm itself.

We stumbled into a town in Mania humorously called Split, where every resident had recently been faced with a doppelganger of him- or herself. The townspeople were none too happy about this doubling up; most of them seemed keen on having you murder their clones outright, in fact. As you'd expect, the odd goings-on in this town will tie in to a quest series that will likely see you setting things right

ey've chosen instead to simply provide more lands, quests, characters, and gear--in short, more content--to discover for those who have already made Cyrodiil a second home. On the Xbox 360, Bethesda will even make use of Microsoft's new achievement point allowance for downloadable content: Shivering Isles will contain 10 new achievements, most of which you'll obtain by playing through the main quest line and which will total 250 points. The company is promising around 30 hours of gameplay in the expansion, which will be available in a retail box for the PC version and as a download on Xbox Live starting in March.

i temporerally traded olivion for gears of war, which was fun for the 3 hours it lasted, but im gonna have to get it back a bit early for this one.:cool:

EvilNed
07-Feb-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna get it. Currently playing through the game as an evil character for the first time. It's a great game. Vast and rich. Shivering Isles will only make it great, but I'm not sure if it will rival Bloodmoon. I just LOVED that expansion.

Danny
07-Feb-2007, 07:48 PM
aye the first time you hunt down prey as a werewolf was awesome, plus the whole norse mythology thing was way better than tribunals "lord of the rings politics":rolleyes:

capncnut
07-Feb-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, it's safe to say I'm getting this one. I gots a sneaky feeling that this and Knights of the Nine will be bundled in with the main game at some point in the future.

capncnut
13-Feb-2007, 11:26 PM
Feast yer peepers on this.

BVffAse-jfE

bassman
13-Feb-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah, this game will probably be the next that I get. I just picked up "Saints Row" the other night, so that should hold me over for awhile. I'll either get "Oblivion" or "Lost Planet" next.

capncnut
14-Feb-2007, 11:32 PM
I have both of those games and I say Oblivion all the way. Lost Planet has amazing graphics and decent action but Oblivion is so much more. It's not one of those stat-heavy RPG's that take 500 hours to complete. It's more like a 50-100 hour first person slasher set inside a world you can completely immerse yourself in. The chances of you exploring it fully are slim and the AI is pretty decent too. One example: I was wandering around (ignoring the story) by a beach once and two deer came running in, playing. One of 'em wandered too far into the water and drowned as the other one ran away. I jumped in to save it by pushing it back to shore, but it was dead, there was nothing I could do! You don't get that kind of thing happen by accident in a videogame AI too often. Seriously, you wont regret it.

DeadJonas190
15-Feb-2007, 06:10 AM
That expansion looks like it will be a lot of fun. I put so many hours into Oblivion and still never beat it... I think I may have to devote some more time into it.

EvilNed
15-Feb-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, Oblivion is definetly great.

Once when I was in a dungeon I found a sleeping bandit (I had killed off all of his friends). I pickpocketed her and took her sword. Then i attacked. She awoke and, finding herselves unarmed, ran away. Of course. I would do the same thing.

A few moments later she was back. She wasn't running away, she was just running to get another weapon. So she began slashing me with her sword.

MikePizzoff
15-Feb-2007, 11:38 AM
Capn - I think it would take 50 hours if you just followed the main storyline. I have accumulated 11 hours total playing time (only had the game since Saturday, YIKES) and have only done ONE main storyline mission. Most of the 11 hours has been me doing quests for the thieves guild and helping random people that I meet on the streets of some of the cities.

I think if you actually did every single quest/mission and explored all of the cities, small towns, the land, every cave it would probably take... who knows HOW long. Hundreds of hours, I'd say.

The point is, though, you don't HAVE to do all of that. You can just do the main storyline and beat this game in about 50 hours if you wanted. I don't see why you WOULD want to, though? You always hear of people complaining how short a game is... why would someone complain that a game was really long and immersing?

EvilNed
15-Feb-2007, 11:57 AM
I've played through the main storyline once. didn't feel quite like 50 hours. But definetly no less than 30. And that's if you just stick to it and do it all in one row - and nobody ever does that.

So for an average player to complete the main quest for the first time, 50 hours sounds about right, seeing as they are going to get sidetracked all the time.

I've put more than 140 gaming hours into the game, and it's still good. Just make sure you have it for the PC.

capncnut
15-Feb-2007, 02:49 PM
The best thing about this game is the fact that you can take any direction you want to take. I am roughly about a third of the way through EVERYTHING: the main story, the factions and the side quests. I guess I'm trying to balance it all out equally.

Right now, I've discovered a new mode of play. I recently contracted Polymorphic Haemophilia and yup, you've guessed it, I am now a Vampire. It took me a fair old while to ascend to stage 4 and now I have the most amazing powers and pretty much nothing can touch me. I cannot travel during sunlight hours so I stay at home and feast from my maid. As a nightly pastime I have started breaking into bookshops (no torches, my night eye does all that) and have thieved myself a pretty decent collection. It's a dark existence but an edgy one, everyone is hostile towards me and no one will sell me a damn thing. I have decided that once I finish the all missions, I shall go back to being a vampire full time. The rewards are too good to ignore, it's like a whole new game.