PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, check out my Grindhouse SXSW entry.

PJoseph
14-Feb-2007, 06:15 AM
It's been like forever since I've posted but the video game I'm writing has me swamped and I'm about to hop on directing for another show. However, I'm sure some of you are aware of The Grindhouse Trailer competition hosted by Robert Rodriguez for the SXSW Film Festival.

Well, I directed one and it stars my good friend and favorite zombie hunter Ken Foree and I figured some of you may want to take a look. Now, many people have posted their trailer entry on YouTube but I've chosen not to, so this is my private site just for friends. If the trailer is not chosen, then I will post it. But until then, you can all enjoy it here since you are all fellow filmakers.

www.homepage.mac.com/patrickjdoody/HV/iMovieTheater34.html

password : morelli

pJ
thetwojerks.com

p.s. - can someone fix the links - I can't post a URL!!! What the heck, I've been posting here since 1998!!!

(fixed the link, MZ ... to help combat spammers and spambots you can't post a link within your first (if memory serves) 15 posts)

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2007, 10:36 AM
THAT WAS SUPERB!!!

I loved it! You got the Grindhouse vibe down spot-on, and Ken Foree was great in it - nicely done.

I'm off to watch it again, I think you should win! :)

bassman
14-Feb-2007, 12:58 PM
That's really good man. Great stuff.:)

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm downloading it so I can watch it again. :) Loved it, that gritty Grindhouse feel is great, especially in this day and age of digital remastering and DVDs ... it's like that feel of watching a horror movie you can only otherwise get on a 3rd generation VHS dub of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the sound down low (so you don't get caught by your folks watching it as a kid) and the lights out ... ahhh memories.

Once again - awesome trailer! :cool::thumbsup::)

axlish
14-Feb-2007, 03:48 PM
That was beautiful PJ! Was that a variation of the Wilhelm Scream that you used when the guy was stabbed? Good luck, if anyone has a better trailer than you, you know they earned it.

Actually, here is what PJ is competing against

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31581

Fulcifan91
14-Feb-2007, 03:58 PM
I agree with MZ, i think you really got the Grindhouse feeling with that. Best of luck to ya!

PJoseph
14-Feb-2007, 04:06 PM
All the positive feedback is great. I've watched the thing so many times that I have no perspective. Everyone who worked on it loves it, but they worked on it so you can't really judge from that.

And looking at some of the postings on YouTube, there's some other really good ones (the rock band one is really nice). I believe he's going to pick ten films to play, so the odds are good for the people who really made some nice ones.

Regarding the Wilhelm, yes that's in there!

If you guys have any other questions regarding the production, let me know...there's a lot of neat little film tricks in there that you might be interested in knowing how we did it.

pJ

capncnut
14-Feb-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah I caught a whole bunch of these a little while ago from a link I found on another site. PJ, your video is definitely one of the better ones and I wish you luck in the competition. :)

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah I caught a whole bunch of these a little while ago from a link I found on another site. PJ, your video is definitely one of the better ones and I wish you luck in the competition. :)
Agreed, I romped through a whole bundle of them on YouTube, and there were three awesome ones (yours included Pj), the rest were well-meaning, but just didn't quite have "it", if you know what I mean.

There was one for some kind of women-in-prison type movie, but I'm not sure whether it was a real movie actually coming out or not (the comments were a bit confusing as to whether it was an entry or an actual film that just happens to be done in the Grindhouse cinema style).

Anyway, watched your trailer again Pj, and I still think it rocks, the introduction of Hollywood is particularly spot-on for the style.

axlish
14-Feb-2007, 06:50 PM
Black Mantis will be tough to top :) I do think Hollywood Vigilante will give it a good run though. Another good one is The Devil's Dick LOL

HLS
15-Feb-2007, 04:03 AM
That was great PJ. I enjoyed the clip. Very nicely done!

Fleshmunch
18-Feb-2007, 09:31 AM
Eh, it was all right, like one of those old bad movies I would never watch based on the trailer, so you got that part right anyway. :D The muzzle blasts were just too cheesy and overdone. I think you should retitle it THE DEVIL'S HITMAN, like you called him in the trailer. That's way better.

Hobo with a Shotgun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlazPgxKrA) is the hands-down winner so far in my book.

Danny
18-Feb-2007, 09:49 AM
id watch a grind feature with hobo with a shotgun in it,i swear ive seen one like it in an old 80's double feature were a guy moved to a town full of the kkk and they killed his wife because she was black and then he just gets out a shotgun and yells "its killin' time", que 30 straight minutes of the kkk getting there asses handed to em first blood style:lol:

1LlazPgxKrA

as for yours man, its freakin' legendary , proper old school 70's explotation type stuff, id watch it, plus ken foree's the freakin' man!

Fleshmunch
18-Feb-2007, 11:03 AM
I just wasted an hour of my life watching the other Grindhouse contest entries and I gotta admit, Hollywood Vigilante is one of the best. Most are awful, boring or boringly awful. LOL Or do I mean awfully boring? No, I was right: boringly awful. :D

Anyway, Hobo still rules the roost, followed by Cong of the Dead/Viet Kong, and maybe then a toss-up between Black Mantis and Hollywood Vigilante...

axlish
18-Feb-2007, 01:23 PM
Since it seems that folks missed the link I left earlier in the thread, here it is again....

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31581

As for favorites, here is mine :)

UmLt9X38bwY

capncnut
18-Feb-2007, 06:39 PM
LOL, I saw that trailer before. Awesome. Really captures the era well. Apparently Tarantino has directed an absolute CORKER of a kickass martial arts trailer for Grindhouse. I can't wait to see it.

PJoseph
18-Feb-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes, that is my favorite as well. The word is that their picking more than one...so that might fare will for Hollywood Vigilante.

However, after having picked films for festivals, if I had to pick one, it would be Hobo.

pJ

Danny
18-Feb-2007, 08:35 PM
i think they'd both work well together as some kind of double feature they say the most sucesful double features are both the same but one could never happen one allready could have, seems to apply to those two.:D

Danny
09-Mar-2007, 03:44 AM
ive gto a request and rather than start another thread i thought id post this here since its kidna the same sorta thing.
since the weathers finally clearing up im gonna start some filming soon and right off the bat i thought id try my hand, jsut for fun and my own "i cant believe i did that" material in a few years time, i want to try my hand at a fake grindhouse style trailer, since my cameras picture is a little grainy and serpia mode makes it look all 70's.
i got a good plot for the trailer written up, looks like it should be fun to film, im surprised the idea wasnt submitted for the competition, wish id have mailed an entry, but heres the deal. i want to find some of that old 70's style cop movie music and the like, trouble is i aint having much luck even the online archive sights got nothing and i thought that was a sure thing, so does anyone know any place to get that kind of music?:)

capncnut
09-Mar-2007, 03:52 AM
If it's that Starsky and Hutch type guitar twiddle sound "waka-waka" you're after then Sabrosa by The Beastie Boys might work - don't worry, it's an instrumental. If it's the strong classical sound then wiki the names of Bruce Lee's movies (namely Game of Death) and then download the soundtracks via Limewire or summat. Pure cheese.

Danny
09-Mar-2007, 03:57 AM
poifec', and just since i thought you might like to know the "film" is called "pyscho mailman", cus theres all those jokes about em being pushed over the edge but there wasnt a movie made about it.
shame.:lol:

coma
09-Mar-2007, 03:58 AM
Maybe Swat, streets of San francisco , the Baretta theme. Theres a bunch old old shows like that. Maybe Italian 70s funk. Turkish funk has that sound often.

suicide22
12-May-2007, 03:36 PM
cool!