PDA

View Full Version : Ratm... Who Else Is Psyched

bub21
18-Feb-2007, 12:20 AM
So audioslave broke up, Rage are getting back together for what's known as of now as a 'one off.'

I just hope they realize how much sense it makes for them to come back, and hopefully this performance at Coachella will open their eyes.

RAGE.

capncnut
18-Feb-2007, 02:07 AM
The moment these motherf**kers get their asses over to English soil, I'm gonna tear ass in the tornado at the front man. I just hope we get a Soundgarden reformation too.

_liam_
18-Feb-2007, 02:14 AM
audioslave formed cause ratm split, now audioslave have been on hiatus due to cornells solo stuff, and ratm have reformed for a bit. now audioslave are history (good riddance, they sucked :p ) , i dunno, the core trio doesnt seem like it enjoys being idle for too long...i suspect an iminent RATM full on reboot...

its nice to think audioslave might soon become known as this weird period when RATM didnt exist..

bassman
18-Feb-2007, 05:21 AM
What Capn said, just replace "English soil" with "my corner of the states".:D

Tricky
18-Feb-2007, 04:46 PM
Everyone wanting comebacks from old groups because most modern music is shiiiiiiite,sounds about right!theres a distinct lack of good music at the moment,with the exception of a few bands

HLS
18-Feb-2007, 04:49 PM
Never heard of them.

coma
18-Feb-2007, 05:55 PM
Never heard of them.
you never heard of Rafe Against The Machine? Or just not the initaials people use. Thats what RATM stands for.

funny story.
MY friend joins this long established popular NYC hardcore band(filled with total dickheads, but thats another story). Its the first popular band he ever joined so He had to work super hard learning all the parts becasue they wanted precision. The first gig he plays with them (this is like 1991) they are headling. An un and coming, but still unkown band opens up for them. Rage Against the machine. Totally took the wind from his sails, because his band was same old NY hardcore, but they were, y'know, RAGE. That kinda sucked for himk. He didnt want to go on at all.
When a band no one ever heard of, no one heard their songs, they have no record out, plays and every single person goes completly bananas, you are in trouble:D I am pretty sure it was their first East coast show.

bassman
18-Feb-2007, 05:55 PM
Everyone wanting comebacks from old groups because most modern music is shiiiiiiite,sounds about right!theres a distinct lack of good music at the moment,with the exception of a few bands

I hear ya, man. I'm sometimes completely shocked by some of the crap that I hear on the radio.....

bub21
18-Feb-2007, 06:28 PM
its nice to think audioslave might soon become known as this weird period when RATM didnt exist..

LOL!!! I remember when the first Audioslave record came out, and how bad I wanted to like it. Only took a day or two to finally realize how bad they were. Cornell needs to bring soundgarden back, and Zach needs to realize how important a band Rage is, and how bad the music world needs them back

bassman
18-Feb-2007, 07:45 PM
LOL!!! I remember when the first Audioslave record came out, and how bad I wanted to like it. Only took a day or two to finally realize how bad they were. Cornell needs to bring soundgarden back, and Zach needs to realize how important a band Rage is, and how bad the music world needs them back

Great point, man. Being that RATM is a political band and Zach's lyrics are always about that subject.....he should have ALOT to say about what's going on in the world since he left the band.

_liam_
18-Feb-2007, 07:59 PM

i saw this interview with trent reznor from nine inch nails recently and he said "i quite like the fact that most new music is really bad. it makes my music look better".

innit.

MikePizzoff
18-Feb-2007, 08:16 PM
I have the 7" of Zack De La Rocha's first band, a hardcore band called Inside Out. Revalation Records. I think they may have also re-released the EP on a CD for people that don't buy vinyl anymore (of which are foolish).

capncnut
18-Feb-2007, 11:25 PM
I have the 7" of Zack De La Rocha's first band, a hardcore band called Inside Out. Revalation Records. I think they may have also re-released the EP on a CD for people that don't buy vinyl anymore (of which are foolish).
Damn straight, gimme vinyl over cd anyday. An album ain't got no hair on it's balls without the odd pop or crackle. :D

coma
19-Feb-2007, 04:51 AM
Damn straight, gimme vinyl over cd anyday. An album ain't got no hair on it's balls without the odd pop or crackle. :D
I have about 2000 vinyl records, but my turntable is on the way out. Its 40 years old. ACK!
Anybody got a direct drive turntable to donate?
Please:D

I have made albums but until I have a vinyl release I dont feel like a "real" musician.

LouCipherr
20-Feb-2007, 02:30 PM
Oh man, I was quite pleased when I heard RATM was getting back together for a one-off, 'cause we all know damn well that this is the beginning of the reformation of the band. Especially considering the news about audioslave. One thing I will say though: don't get your hopes up for a Soundgarden reunion. It'll never happen according to Chris Cornell, and to be honest, I believe it (for once. Usually I don't believe rock stars when they say stuff like that.. "it'll never happen" - yeah, right)

I think RATM's first CD is simply a classic. Zacks' venemous lyrics and angry-as-all-f*ck delivery overtop of the tightest "in the pocket" rhythm section on the planet.

That being said, I didn't care too much for the albums that followed. I dunno, the first CD really kicked my ass, but the follow ups just seemed to be lacking that initial releases raw energy. I like a few songs off of each album, but the first one, I like every song on it.

...and am I the only one that noticed that Zack's favorite vocal improv's on the first cd were "uh!" and "c'mon!" :lol:

By the way, I cannot STAND "rap-rock", but there was something special about RATM.. I'm not sure what it was, but they were the ONLY 'rap-rock' band I could stand to listen to. I think it was the fact that I had never ever heard a singer so goddamn angry as De La Rocha, and i like angry music. :D

LC

capncnut
20-Feb-2007, 06:49 PM
Let's see them devil horns in the air man.

KFIzXEZUBFs&mode=related&search=

coma
20-Feb-2007, 06:51 PM
Oh man, I was quite pleased when I heard RATM was getting back together for a one-off, 'cause we all know damn well that this is the beginning of the reformation of the band. Especially considering the news about audioslave. One thing I will say though: don't get your hopes up for a Soundgarden reunion. It'll never happen according to Chris Cornell, and to be honest, I believe it (for once. Usually I don't believe rock stars when they say stuff like that.. "it'll never happen" - yeah, right)

I think RATM's first CD is simply a classic. Zacks' venemous lyrics and angry-as-all-f*ck delivery overtop of the tightest "in the pocket" rhythm section on the planet.

That being said, I didn't care too much for the albums that followed. I dunno, the first CD really kicked my ass, but the follow ups just seemed to be lacking that initial releases raw energy. I like a few songs off of each album, but the first one, I like every song on it.

...and am I the only one that noticed that Zack's favorite vocal improv's on the first cd were "uh!" and "c'mon!" :lol:

By the way, I cannot STAND "rap-rock", but there was something special about RATM.. I'm not sure what it was, but they were the ONLY 'rap-rock' band I could stand to listen to. I think it was the fact that I had never ever heard a singer so goddamn angry as De La Rocha, and i like angry music. :D

LC
I dont know if rap/rock is a fair label for them. The rhythm section was way too funky and the Gtr was really avant gard. It was an original natural feeling hybrid that transcends that label
The lyrical content was really original and I find it funny that a large percentage of fans dismiss or dont notice, what is pretty much, a marxist message

I think the otherr records werent as good because it vecame repititious. Zach never varied his delivery and Morello kept doing the -hard riff then funny noise- formula. Many of the rythms were indentical.
Still, I think as well that new material could be a much needed sledgehammer. I really want to hear them s**t all over the g-v.ment.
When I first heard them, I heard 10 seconds and knew they were great. How often does that happen. People were really politically/socially apathetic at the time and its what I wanted to hear (never been a sheep). Never pedantic, just dope as hell.

_liam_
20-Feb-2007, 07:48 PM
i wouldnt say rage was really rap (on the first one anyway), he does rap sometimes but a lot of the time he just sings or shouts. know your enemy, killing in the name of, settle for nothing etc dont have any rapping.

so i wouldnt class it as rap metal, and if it is, it's totally different to every other rap metal tune ever recorded, above & beyond imo.

<pimp>
whats that? my band wrote a new song called "chainstore massacre"? why, yes we did
http://www.myspace.com/hedonicuk </pimp>

capncnut
20-Feb-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry an unexpected error has occurred.

_liam_
20-Feb-2007, 08:32 PM
innit. i hate myspace. the long winded one usually works.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134473457
what's the general consensus on audioslave? my vote; shi*te.

LouCipherr
20-Feb-2007, 09:01 PM
Ok, maybe 'rap/rock' is the label that the record companies gave them (and what I refer to them as), but they were a hybrid of certain types of rock, R&B & rap. so they're rock/rap/R&B/soul/funk. It's all good. Regardless, they were the only band of that type (and there were MANY clones after them) that I cared for. ;)

liam: you don't consider Bombtrack, Take the Power Back, Wake Up, Township Rebellion, Bullet in the Head, etc. rapping? We must differ on what we consider rap! :D Of couse, this is coming from a old-school metalhead, so I don't claim to know that much about rap to begin with. ;) Zack's delivery is damn close to, if not, rap. To me, if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck... :D

Oh, and about audioslave? Bah, i'd rather have Soundgarden or RATM than Audioslave. I didn't care for 'em at all, although I still consider Chris Cornell one of the best singers to come out of the 90's aside Layne Staley and a select few others.

LC

_liam_
20-Feb-2007, 09:24 PM
oh yeah they do-do rap, but not every track has rap, and they are totally different to HED (pe), limp bizkit, linkin park etc so i'd have trouble lumping them in with the rest of the "rap metal" category, maybe they are rap metal, but they aint "rap-metal" as such...

and hey, i'm old school metal too maaan, i've seen all of the big four live bwoy(and black sabbath), and i missed a diamond head concert because we let the drummer drivehttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/_liam_/horns.gif

coma
20-Feb-2007, 09:44 PM
Ok, maybe 'rap/rock' is the label that the record companies gave them (and what I refer to them as), but they were a hybrid of certain types of rock, R&B & rap. so they're rock/rap/R&B/soul/funk. It's all good. Regardless, they were the only band of that type (and there were MANY clones after them) that I cared for. ;)

liam: you don't consider Bombtrack, Take the Power Back, Wake Up, Township Rebellion, Bullet in the Head, etc. rapping? We must differ on what we consider rap! :D Of couse, this is coming from a old-school metalhead, so I don't claim to know that much about rap to begin with. ;) Zack's delivery is damn close to, if not, rap. To me, if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck... :D

Oh, and about audioslave? Bah, i'd rather have Soundgarden or RATM than Audioslave. I didn't care for 'em at all, although I still consider Chris Cornell one of the best singers to come out of the 90's aside Layne Staley and a select few others.

LC
There are many style sof Rhyning and Zachs is just one of them. He yells, he rhymes. He doesnt sing. DMC (of Run DMC) has as much power as any metal singer (I hate walk this way, so dont bring it up, please). Even when he yells, it call and response and slogans, which is another element of hiphop.

I dont know why people comlain about thr Rap and MEtal hybrid so much. I think its a natural fit and a logical progression
People alwats slam hiphop, but if your not into it you will only hear radio crap. Like people think Creed is a good representation of metal. Obviously its not, but if I thought it was metal, and thats all I knew, I would think Metal really sucks.

Whose the big Four?
I can guess
Maiden
Sabbath
Priest
I am not sure of a fourth. Fill me in, please, on what you think liam

_liam_
20-Feb-2007, 09:47 PM
nope the big four commonly refers to the four supposedly most influential thrash metal bands of the 80s;
slayer
metallica
megadeth
anthrax

those bands you mentioned kick arse though :evil:

coma
20-Feb-2007, 09:58 PM
nope the big four commonly refers to the four supposedly most influential thrash metal bands of the 80s;
slayer
metallica
megadeth
anthrax

those bands you mentioned kick arse though :evil:
When I think old school metal, I think Pre MEtallica.
I have seen all of those bands, not megadeth unfortunatley. And I probaly wont because I hate going to shows now.
Belladonna era Anthrax were really incerdible. He's the only poodlehead singer I like.
Rick Rubins producing the NEw Metallica. He tells people they suck when they suck, so maybe they will stop embarassing everyone. No band has ever fallen farther into ass.

Ever see SOD(stormtorrpers of death). They tear it up big time. I love that band

_liam_
20-Feb-2007, 10:07 PM
When I think old school metal, I think Pre MEtallica.
I have seen all of those bands, not megadeth unfortunatley. And I probaly wont because I hate going to shows now.
Belladonna era Anthrax were really incerdible. He's the only poodlehead singer I like.
Rick Rubins producing the NEw Metallica. He tells people they suck when they suck, so maybe they will stop embarassing everyone. No band has ever fallen farther into ass.

Ever see SOD(stormtorrpers of death). They tear it up big time. I love that band

tbh, sabbath, motorhead, diamond head, venom & maiden aside, metal wasn't up to much for me pre-thrash. and most of those bands were the thrashier ones anyways.

why dya hate going to shows nowadays?

metallica are indeed shameful these days, but i reckon the last 300 post-ozzy black sabbath albums were worse...

megadeth are tight as hell these days, i recommend going to see them, ive seen them a couple times in the past 2 years, bloody excellent, they finally have the edge on metallica.

coma
21-Feb-2007, 01:11 AM
tbh, sabbath, motorhead, diamond head, venom & maiden aside, metal wasn't up to much for me pre-thrash. and most of those bands were the thrashier ones anyways.

why dya hate going to shows nowadays?

metallica are indeed shameful these days, but i reckon the last 300 post-ozzy black sabbath albums were worse...

megadeth are tight as hell these days, i recommend going to see them, ive seen them a couple times in the past 2 years, bloody excellent, they finally have the edge on metallica.
Why dont I like going to shows?
first off, Im legally blind and I hate people bother ing me. SOme incidents from Last few shows
Slayer. Some junior skinhead ran into me. It surprised me and I said "ack" he wanted to brawl becasue I lost my balance and uttered a neutral, uh, utterence. Typical.
Anthrax. Just rude security. Im too old for taht crap.
Iggy Pop. I bumped into some mustache cop looka like who was like 6'5. He knocked me on my ass and they almost threw ME out. Even after I told the asshat security I couldnt see he continued to be a dick and threaten me with being 86d.
Generall high prices.
Those incidents may seem like a big deal, but I dont want to be touched, threatened, or manhandled. I pay too much $$ for that crap. They happened in a very short time period and I just got fed up. Plus I dont want to pay 60 bucks to sit through Slipknot and other garbage bands to see 30 minutes of the one I like.
If I get a good seat and close, I will go. Otheerwise forget it. I got my ankle crushed a couple years ago and standing around for hours is a no go. Yup, Im a total mess.

"Tony Iommis" Sabbath are total frisbees. But that was not the full band. Except for Bass, they are the same band, so its worse. Also, people realized post OZZY (DIO sab excluded. They rocked. I liked Ian Gillan too. That tour was AWESOME) really sucked and got the attention it deserved.NONE:D

Last shows I saw was The Who (right after entwhistle dies and they were surprisingly super excellent. One of the best out of the maybe 300 shows I have seen) and Pantera/Sabbath. That ruled. Long time ago.wow.

I agree that thrash is the better style, evidenced by the fact that it ages very well. Though Venom and Raven are sooooo corny when you hear it now.

As the years go on, I like MEgadeth more and more. They are def a leading thrash band that evolves to kepp interesting, but not too much.
I really want to see them eventually. I'll make an exception for them.

El_Hooligan
21-Feb-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm ready to rock out with my cock out. The Rage self-titled CD is just a beast.

This world needs more militant musicians who aren't afraid to take on the establishment with their revolutionary ideals. Zach is back, baby, and I say, "where ever you see a cop beatin' a guy! where ever a hungry, new born baby cries! where there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air. Just look in their eyes, ma, n' i'll be there!"

coma
21-Feb-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm ready to rock out with my cock out. The Rage self-titled CD is just a beast.

This world needs more militant musicians who aren't afraid to take on the establishment with their revolutionary ideals. Zach is back, baby, and I say, "where ever you see a cop beatin' a guy! where ever a hungry, new born baby cries! where there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air. Just look in their eyes, ma, n' i'll be there!"
Grapes of wrath, film and book, are bad ass and should be read/seen.

rock with your cock out. Teeheee:lol:

_liam_
21-Feb-2007, 03:04 AM
Grapes of wrath, film and book, are bad ass and should be read/seen.

rock with your cock out. Teeheee:lol:

jam out with yer clam out ;)

thrash out with yer gash out

hang out with yer wang out... hehehe, and so on...

ah venom's corny but its a guilty pleasure, like Manowar or cradle of filth.

sorry to hear about your eyesight man :( that sucks.

just wondering, how do you manage to read text & stuff on the internet?

coma
21-Feb-2007, 04:41 AM
jam out with yer clam out ;)

thrash out with yer gash out

hang out with yer wang out... hehehe, and so on...

ah venom's corny but its a guilty pleasure, like Manowar or cradle of filth.

sorry to hear about your eyesight man :( that sucks.

just wondering, how do you manage to read text & stuff on the internet?
manowar makes your dong biiger when you listen to it.

I make the text bigger with firefox. It has a handy enlarge text button. Sometimes I just cant read it at all. I have various magnifyer utilities. Happily some things the dr do have been working and this week I can actually kinda see, which rocks.:)
Everytime people say (America shouldnt have socialized medicine..commie blah blah) I want to literally punch them in the face because without it I would be totally blind. Only reason I got it at all was my untreated disease made me destitute enough to be able to qualify. A thourougly humiliating and infuriating experience here. Its a subject important to me and I perceive anti care propaganda to be a direct threat.
and firefox has a new spellcheck,, allowing me to fix my mangled posts (I usually cant see the keyboard and am light sensitive so I chill in the dark. No Im not goth:p)
But not now because I can see pretty good, for me:D. Hopefully it lasts because sometimes its very temporary.
When People give me crap I get really aggro on the street to cut off the BS before it starts

reason to Hate people part 3546
Last week at the eye dr. I am in a room with a nurse. I asked her name (Been there tons but dont know her). She said its on her name tag (cause saying your name is so hard). I said I cant read it. She says"Yes you can ". (said with a chickenhead* move, all snotty) I was flabberghasted. I said "why do you think Im in an eye clinic. For FUN!?!" She just did the eye chart test, so she knew I could only read the big E and the line under it with my "good' eye.. This is in a clinic specializing in Blindness, Christ was a c**t. When I go back next week Im going to try to get he introuble cause shes an idiot.

Mostly how you manage life is you just do. Though, regardless of what inspirational types say, it really puts a damper on you life. I carry a big ass magnifying glass and it kinda works. You couldnt tell any of this by looking at me. My eyes look normal.

Excuse the blathering. I cant help myself. Im a real motormouth :) sometimes

Venoms real cheesy but I really though they were evil dudes when I was 14 and enjoyed scaring the dorks just by wearing a friggin shirt.
"Bu-bu-but there satonic (misspelling intentional)":rolleyes:

*A chicken head move is that "oh, no you didnt" hand on the hip, wave a finger around stuff.

LouCipherr
21-Feb-2007, 11:58 AM
coma - i think the reason people bitch & complain about rap/rock and rap-metal (whatever you want to call it) is because it's just.. well.. to me it's "two great tastes that don't belong together" :lol:

I dunno, it didn't seem like a natural progression to me. Well, it WAS until there were too many bands doing it, know what I mean? I think it just hit the over-saturation point after RATM came around. Once they hit the scene, a million clones popped up and just oversaturated the market with the same type of music (although none were as good at it as RATM - besides, like I said, I still have never heard a singer as pissed off as Zack and I loooove me some angry music).

Ahhh, the "Big Four" - i've seen Sabbath, Metallica and Megadeth, but was never into slayer enough to go see them live. (I know, I know, "blasphemy!" :lol:). Although I have to admit, the only one of the 'big four' I can listen to and enjoy nowadays is Megadeth - although I miss Marty Friedman like a mofo. That guy RIPPED on guitar. One of my favorites. :)

Since we're talking old school metal and all, anyone here ever get into Billy Milano's SOD or MOD? :elol:

coma
21-Feb-2007, 05:50 PM
coma - i think the reason people bitch & complain about rap/rock and rap-metal (whatever you want to call it) is because it's just.. well.. to me it's "two great tastes that don't belong together" :lol:

I dunno, it didn't seem like a natural progression to me. Well, it WAS until there were too many bands doing it, know what I mean? I think it just hit the over-saturation point after RATM came around. Once they hit the scene, a million clones popped up and just oversaturated the market with the same type of music (although none were as good at it as RATM - besides, like I said, I still have never heard a singer as pissed off as Zack and I loooove me some angry music).

Ahhh, the "Big Four" - i've seen Sabbath, Metallica and Megadeth, but was never into slayer enough to go see them live. (I know, I know, "blasphemy!" :lol:). Although I have to admit, the only one of the 'big four' I can listen to and enjoy nowadays is Megadeth - although I miss Marty Friedman like a mofo. That guy RIPPED on guitar. One of my favorites. :)

Since we're talking old school metal and all, anyone here ever get into Billy Milano's SOD or MOD? :elol:
I have heard RATM clones and they are plentiful. But I have heard local stuff over the years that meshed hiphop and hard rock and it was really good. Often the wackest stuff gets airplay. I like Limp Bizkit EXCEPT for the raps. Durst cant rap for s**t. I think the grooves and GTR and real good though.
Slayer has always been more of a cult band because they are so abrasive. They are the only one of those never really ever having any videos played.

I mentioned SOD earlier, you missed it:). I also really like MOD, but SOD is one of my all time favorite metal bands. I saw them early on them at Lamours in Queens in like 86. I also saw them at their last show at the Ritz in 92. I was a bartender there. Saw a lot of great shows and met a lot of big time people. Scott Ian is really cool. Billy Milano, though seems like a dick on stage, is a cool dude and a regular guy, very much like the guys I hung with when I was a kid.

I also worked the last PIL shows around that time. I bartender right on stage right at a portable bar. People were stage diving right into the bar top. I mean like 60 times!
Later (I did all 3 nights) I worked the VIP bar and met Johnny Lydon who
Drinks an inhuman amount of beer (He chose Bud cans!)
Is a fanrastic tipper
Is an extremely potlie and congenial guy! Can you believe that?

I also did Eric B and Rakims last show. It ended when someone got shot in the ass. The there was a riot. People stormed coatcheck and stole all the coats. People were grabbing the booze bottles from behind the bar, trying to get cash, too. A huge black girl tried to hid from the shots behind ME. She jumped behind the bar. I told her to get the f**k away from me and got my bud Buttons, the Hells Angel bouncer, to "remove" her.
Before all that it was a really tough show to work. There were some customers that asked my name, were hugely polite and flowed mad bucks at me. They were Hustler/Pimped out types. But many were thugged out tards.
"GImme a Cuvosier Now, Mofugga!"
"I said coke soda(?) not a coke!"
Funny. like 10 percent tipped good and were at least polite. The other 90% just strait up abused me prison style. That was some night.

Kiss fans are cool.
Hanson were really nice guys
If you bartend a metal show, the guys with really neat haircuts are usually a holes
a tip fot getting water at clubs. They try to charge you a buck becasue at shows with kids you pour thousands of waters and they never tip, so you work your butt off and make nothing. If you frown and turn away (cause your brokem usually) you will get it for nothing. At least form people like me.

capncnut
21-Feb-2007, 06:35 PM
I also worked the last PIL shows around that time. I bartender right on stage right at a portable bar. People were stage diving right into the bar top. I mean like 60 times!
Later (I did all 3 nights) I worked the VIP bar and met Johnny Lydon who
Drinks an inhuman amount of beer (He chose Bud cans!)
Is a fanrastic tipper
Is an extremely potlie and congenial guy! Can you believe that?
Totally, he's got a caustic media persona but is incredibly down to earth in real life. At the first Pistols reformation concert, I actually saw him hugging fans after the show. :eek:

_liam_
21-Feb-2007, 06:48 PM
these stories about johnny rotten warm the cockles of my heart. i always knew he was a decent fella...
http://fusionanomaly.net/johnnyrottenamsterdam.jpg
"the milkybars are on me!"

coma
21-Feb-2007, 06:55 PM
Totally, he's got a caustic media persona but is incredibly down to earth in real life. At the first Pistols reformation concert, I actually saw him hugging fans after the show. :eek:
His book is really good. If you havent read it, you should. He says he tries to give working class yobs like me respect and he does. Yeah, hes great. He says , ratther than trying to score ladies, he would always chat up people. Its nice wnen you meet someone you respect and they turn out to be not a ahole and actually really cool. Ithnik he's caustic in the media becasue he dislikes the media. Btw, on you tube, theres a full length video of him on a US courtroom show called Judge Judy. Its a small claims case reality thing with him vs a short lived band mate he refers to as "a wanker".:). Its really funny. Judy doesnt even know who he is, but she toerates him pretty good and shes a beyotch

Him, Robert Smith and Clapton (yup) are the nicest guys I met. Kirk Hammet is kinda dickish. Jason Newsted is a guy you can totally approach, I guess cause he sees himself as a fan first. I talked with him about 10 minutes before my boss screamed at me. He said "aw, dude, thats f**ked up":D

_liam_
21-Feb-2007, 06:59 PM
johnny rotten's book is great stuff, agreed.

kirk hammett is dickish? wow, i always imagined him to be the nicest of the bunch! he has such a wimpy voice...

i guess newsted could feel your pain on the whole being given sh*t by his employers business :lol:

coma
21-Feb-2007, 07:04 PM
johnny rotten's book is great stuff, agreed.

kirk hammett is dickish? wow, i always imagined him to be the nicest of the bunch! he has such a wimpy voice...

i guess newsted could feel your pain on the whole being given sh*t by his employers business :lol:
On hammet I have to be fair. He was talking to a girl and didnt look happy (with her). Maybe he was getting dissed. I rolled up all fanboy. I tried to yap with him but got no play. I forgot about that part, of him and the girl. So maybe it was an exceoption. He does usually seem mild mannered. Which is why I said Dickish and not a total dick, like the Stones. they are dicks.

I saw that Metallica Doc and realized it wasnt Lars whos a schuck, its Hetfield all the way. He is a huge turd. I pretty much hate him after seeing that film. Jason wasnt having that Life Coach stuff and he should be proud of that. He wouldve had the most to say, though, if he did. They were never fair ro him at all maybe becasue hes the one with Intergrity and the rest are spoiled rock stars

First time I heard the Pistols was a wierd experience for me. My brother came homw from LA and he was into the early punk scene. He gave me Sex Pistols Bullocks and Black Flag Damaged. I thought Preist was hard, but not like those 2 record. I thought "man, this sounds like sh*t". But I played them over and over even though I thought it was too ugly. By the end of that day I probably played them each 5 or 6 times all the was through. I tried to turn friends on to them but they were like "I Hate this punk crap. They cant play, and whats with the yelling". Sheesh. They were missing out.

LouCipherr
21-Feb-2007, 07:15 PM
dammit, how did I miss the mention of SOD?! Damn the short-term memory loss! :eek:

Yeah, I liked MOD, but SOD was the sh*t. A little Chromatic Death anyone? :D Besides, it was 1/2 Anthrax (Charlie & Scott) and I REALLY dug Anthrax "back in the day" - not to mention, how could you not laugh at songs like "Hey Gordie!" and "The Ballad of Jimi Hendrix"

(cue Purple Haze riff) "You're dead."

:lol:

BTW, about Metallica - as far as I'm concerned, Jason is the only one that was in that band that had any integrity (that's still living - Cliff would be rolling over in his grave if he heard the sh*t they were putting out now). He made the BEST move of his career by jumping off that sinking ship.

capncnut
21-Feb-2007, 07:23 PM
I enjoyed Lydon's book immensely. I loved the revenge he 'cooked up' when he found out his wife was cheating on him. :D

MikePizzoff
22-Feb-2007, 12:04 PM
Alright some metal talk! You guys know I'm always down for a good metal conversation... the shiv's my life! I don't know where to start. I guess I'll just cover some of the stuff you guys have talked about.

Let's see... I saw SOD live back in 1999. I think I was the youngest person there, by far. I like when I'm sitting around listening to them with people I can say "You know SOD have only played 14 live shows? Yeah, I was at one of them." Got Dan Lilkers pick that night. Excellent.

I was at the Anthrax reunion show 2 years ago. Was right up front the entire time. One of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. I'm all over the DVD they released for it. Got to shake hands with the band (except Charlie, he avoided me for some reason) when they were done playing and they were all real nice and actually responded to the things I was saying to them... unlike some bands who just shake your hand and walk away. Scott Ian also gave me his guitar pick. :D It's sad that the reunion is already over.

I just saw Venom a few months ago. I didn't have any money and it was a $25 show so I sat in the back alleyway all day long asking bands if I could load in equipment for them (in order to get in the show). About six hours went by and one of the dudes in Early Man realized I was genuinly broke so he put me on the VIP list and I got to see Venom for free. They were great! Cronos doesn't act/look like he's nearly 50 at all.

Metallica played their only free show they've EVER done here in Philadelphia. It was back in 1997. I remember I was in 7th grade and it was on a Tuesday or something. So me and five friends cut class and ran out of the school... where my Mom was waiting with her car (my parents were/are metalheads).

My band just opened up for thrash legends Destruction two weeks ago. That was a great show. I highly recommend seeing them if you get the chance. You miss out and I'd go as far as calling you a fool for it. The place only had like 600 people in it but they still played as if they were in front of 6,000.

I'd also like to say that one of the times I saw Judas Priest I got Glenn Tipton's guitar pick! The edge of it is all shredded from him doing solos, too. Swoon.

I could keep going for ages but I don't you guys are even going to read this much.

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2007, 01:26 PM
Mike - the Philly free metallica show - that was done on the corestate parking lot wasn't it? I have a bootleg vid on VHS of that show (some hot lookin' chicks on their boyfriends shoulders did some makin' out on that vid too - enough to distract the cameraman from the show for a minute or two! :lol:) Interesting, but I had lost most interest in Metallica by that point, unfortunately. It's cool they did a free show though. I did, however, get a chance to see them and Queensryche on tour (during the Mindcrime/Justice tours) and talk about a KICKASS show. :D Back when Metallica was still 'metal'.

I wish I would've caught one of the Anthrax reunion shows. I'm pissed now that I didn't. I would have, but I figured this would last longer than a tour - at least a new record and tour afterwards is what I was expecting, but... I STILL can't believe Charlie, Scott and Joey screwed this up again. :mad: I wanted a new CD with belladonna, even though I dig John Bush too. Oh well, I didn't think it would last, but I was hopeful.

So you saw SOD live, eh? that's awesome. I have a bootleg of them on vhs too, and I distinctly remember Billy Milano performing a lot of the show in just his underwear (god help us all...). Talk about going blind!. :D

LC

Minerva_Zombi
22-Feb-2007, 01:41 PM
Why do people like to **** on Mtallica? Because they aren't reproducing "Master of Puppets" over and over again. I really like St. Anger. Its a really good album if you really listen to it. Its my 2nd Fav. Metallica record behind Puppets. Jason Newsted really did the right thing by leaving... What is he doing now? Robert Trujillo is 20 times a better Bassist. Metallica does what they feel like doing. And they can do that. Why? Because they're ****ing metallica and they've sold 100 million records world-wide.

About RATM, Audioslave had an okay song here and there, but they can not compare to RATM. I'm excited. All the old bands are coming back to try and save music. The Smashing Pumpkins have a new record coming out. But, yeah Im excited.

MikePizzoff
22-Feb-2007, 04:40 PM
People shiv on Metallica not because they aren't rehashing MOP over and over but because they just plain farking suck now.

Any self-respecting metal head realizes that The Black Album was it for Metallica. Some like it; most don't. I do not. It's obvious that they decided it was time to "cash in".

Load? Pure crap.

Reload? Pure crap.

St Anger? A steaming pile of bullshiv.

It's not just the fact that these albums aren't metal... they just aren't even GOOD. The song writing/structure is so bland. James' vocal chords must have bit the dust because he can't do anything with them any more. Where the hell are all of Kirks wailing solos?!?!?! Nice fills, Lars. Great lyrics, too, guys. "It Aint My Bitch" .... WTF?!

I'm not flaming but I assume that you also like the Risk, The World Needs A Hero, and Cryptic Writings albums by Megadeth. :rolleyes:

PS - Jason Newsted is now in Voivod.

_liam_
22-Feb-2007, 04:54 PM
hey hold on, "the world needs a hero" has "dread and the fugitive mind", which is one of the deth's greatest thrashers... rest of it sucked though.
etGTo6ggMaQ
"if you shake my hand, better count your fingers...":evil:

you opened for destruction? dang... they rule! your band must be on the up and up, tell us when you come to the UK

slickwilly13
22-Feb-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't care for the new Metallica. St. Anger totally sucks balls. My favorite version of the band was when Cliff was still alive.

coma
22-Feb-2007, 05:38 PM
Why do people like to **** on Mtallica? Because they aren't reproducing "Master of Puppets" over and over again. I really like St. Anger. Its a really good album if you really listen to it. Its my 2nd Fav. Metallica record behind Puppets. Jason Newsted really did the right thing by leaving... What is he doing now? Robert Trujillo is 20 times a better Bassist. Metallica does what they feel like doing. And they can do that. Why? Because they're ****ing metallica and they've sold 100 million records world-wide.

I'll give you some Metal Perspective. Im 20 years older than you and remember weill when there was NO Thrash. When KillEm all came out
Preist had that Parental Guidance crap
Maiden was gone, Anthrax didnt exist yet.
There was no band with that much Intergrity, orignality and the abiltiy to connect. They were just guys like the ones you drank beer with but they were, to many, as great as Zeppelin but totally underground.
Every tune was an adventure in originality. I saw Metallica with Motorhead at a tiny club, I believe, before Kill em all. Then again a few months later than twice with ride the lightening and so on. As they got more popular fans didnt mind, like some fangroups, becasue they thought they deserved total recognition. Besides rocking they were also smart, I got to stand right in front of Cliff a number of times, he is one of my musical heroes and influences. Me and my friends dressed like him before we ever saw or heard them, they were really one of us. You cannot know what thats like. Poison and Cinderella were the big bands then, No GnR either.
Form the Black Album I think they became MORE repetitive but removing the hard element. They focused on the singey stuff and stock riffs. They lost any social consciousness and started wrting trite lyrics.
Its not the changes in sound, its like MIke Said. They got better all the time, then got in the "Im no longer hungry" rut. If the changes were great I would still like them, but its not. The Beatles constantly totally changed and it was always great. I dont need another MOP, I nedd a record BETTER than MOP, but it isnt going to happen.
Metallica has the talent, but no the drive. They are simply getting paid.
Bob Rock sucks and they are no longer special. If Metallica isnt special, they should just fold up.

Rob , the new bassist IS great. I am a big Suicidal Tendencies fan, but I think Jason was good for Metallica. Whether someone has more chops is irrelevent. Its like the old 80s argument "Vinnie Vincent is better than JIMI because he plays faster". Jason loved the band, Metal and the fans in a way I havent seen form anyone else. My top 2 Metalica records are MOP and Garage Days.

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2007, 05:43 PM
People bag on metallica not because they want another MOP, but because the band has lost their integrity and drive completely. Load, Reload, and St. Anger (just as MikeP. stated) were complete piles of sh*t. There was ONE song on Reload I liked, and that's it from those three albums, however, from Kill, Ride, Master, and the Black Album, I like just about every song. And ....Justice? Holy sh*t, that's my favorite out of all of them. I HATE the mix (where's Jason!?) but goddamn, those songs were just SLAMMING.

Not to mention, James has started to "sing" instead of bark the lyrics like a pissed off Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz - like he used to. (Goddamn you Bob Rock!) It PAINS me horribly to hear him try and "sing" a song from the earlier albums when he should just be shouting the lyrics out (just as on the albums/cds) and driving the song home like a freight train through your skull.

See, I think the case with Metallica is, they have lost their drive due to money and fame. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying that it is what it is. They now have more money and fame than they know what to do with. The earlier albums were born out of the hunger and drive to make it to the top and never look back and to be one of the best metal bands in the world - all the while being sh*t on and told they were going nowhere. Mission accomplished, but where do you go from there?

When you're at the top, the only place left to go is down.

The drive, now that there is money, fame, and families, is gone. There is no more room for angst, hence, no more drive to make the best album they can. Just "pump out another record, the kids will eat it up because of our band name"

Now, the real question is, does anyone here think their next album is going to be worth a sh*t? I mean, seriously, do you think they can pull themselves out of the rut they buried themselves in with Load/Reload/St. Anus...errr... anger?

I doubt it, but i'll give them a chance. That's about all I can do. Give them a chance and hope they lay a golden egg, although I don't think that's what's going to happen, and it pains me to say that as an old-school fan, but alas, like I said, it is what it is.

***edited to add: damn coma, we must've been replying at the same time and I didn't see your post until after I posted myself. Seems you and I are on the same page. That's not surprising, considering we were listening to Metallica long before most of their current fans were born. :D

coma
22-Feb-2007, 05:48 PM
I did, however, get a chance to see them and Queensryche on tour (during the Mindcrime/Justice tours) and talk about a KICKASS show. :D Back when Metallica was still 'metal'.
I saw that. The Justice shows were SIIIICK. I saw the, with someone else, I cant remember though. I saw MOP tour with Ozzy, That was great too and Monsters of Rock

I wish I would've caught one of the Anthrax reunion shows. I'm pissed now that I didn't. I would have, but I figured this would last longer than a tour - at least a new record and tour afterwards is what I was expecting, but... I STILL can't believe Charlie, Scott and Joey screwed this up again. :mad: I wanted a new CD with belladonna, even though I dig John Bush too. Oh well, I didn't think it would last, but I was hopeful.
Joey's the shiznit. I saw a "reunion" show but Joey and the lead GTR wasnt there. It was tht ONLY reason I went and I got ripped off. It was a fraud and I get pissed when I think about it. It was decent, but thats all

So you saw SOD live, eh? that's awesome. I have a bootleg of them on vhs too, and I distinctly remember Billy Milano performing a lot of the show in just his underwear (god help us all...). Talk about going blind!. :D
LC
Hehehehee:D:lol:
AC is a total ripoff of SOD, but they dont compare. Billy is an ugly bastid for sure. I like the Harry Chapin song "drivin south on th L.I.E..."
I thinks thats MOD though. I ahve some audio Boots, but no vid. God, I Love SOD. United Forces is massive. F**k the Middle east roars, But Speak English or Die is the Jam. When my idiot neighbors blast latin music all night, I have considered running my stereo through My Gtr amp and out blasting them like a reggae sound clash. Thats Metal, yo.

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2007, 06:08 PM
YES! I went to the Monsters of Rock show at RFK Stadium in DC in what was it, 1986?? UNBELIEVEABLE show!! it was JUST before Justice came out, and OMG, it was incredible. I was in the 'general admission' (ie: you were on the field in 100 degree weather with 30,000 fans) and as soon as they turned around Metallica amps and we saw the "justice" artwork on them, the ENTIRE crowd pushed forward twards the stage. It wasn't fun, 'cause I was in about the 5th row of people. That who concert, from the viewers perspective, was a NIGHTMARE. They wouldn't spray down the crowds with water 'cause they didn't want to ruin the football field. Well, by the end othe night when VH was on stage, there were about 4-5 bonfires on the grass in the crowds. So much for that idea. :lol:

I still have my 'parking lot' shirt from that show that has the Van Halen "VH" backwards. We all called it the "Han Valen" shirt. :D I bought it in the parking lot 'cause I didn't want to buy one inside the stadium - WAY too expensive. My Han Valen shirt only cost me $10.

coma
22-Feb-2007, 06:32 PM
...It wasn't fun, 'cause I was in about the 5th row of people. That who concert, from the viewers perspective, was a NIGHTMARE. They wouldn't spray down the crowds with water 'cause they didn't want to ruin the football field. Well, by the end othe night when VH was on stage, there were about 4-5 bonfires on the grass in the crowds. So much for that idea. :lol:

I still have my 'parking lot' shirt from that show that has the Van Halen "VH" backwards. We all called it the "Han Valen" shirt. :D I bought it in the parking lot 'cause I didn't want to buy one inside the stadium - WAY too expensive. My Han Valen shirt only cost me $10.
I have a DIO holy Diver shirt (1984?)that still fits casue it stretched to 4 times the size!
I hate getting schmushed. You have to cross your arms with elbows pointing out so people step off.
I was real drunk at MOR so I have a hazy memory of Specifics, but I knew I went beserk for metallica.

...And ....Justice? Holy sh*t, that's my favorite out of all of them. I HATE the mix (where's Jason!?) but goddamn, those songs were just SLAMMING.

Not to mention, James has started to "sing" instead ...

See, I think the case with Metallica is, they have lost their drive due to money and fame. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying that it is what it is. They now have more money and fame than they know what to do with. The earlier albums were born out of the hunger and drive to make it to the top and never look back and to be one of the best metal bands in the world - all the while being sh*t on and told they were going nowhere. Mission accomplished, but where do you go from there?

When you're at the top, the only place left to go is down.

Now, the real question is, does anyone here think their next album is going to be worth a sh*t? I mean, seriously, do you think they can pull themselves out of the rut they buried themselves in with Load/Reload/St. Anus...errr... anger?

I doubt it, but i'll give them a chance. That's about all I can do. Give them a chance and hope they lay a golden egg, although I don't think that's what's going to happen, and it pains me to say that as an old-school fan, but alas, like I said, it is what it is.

***edited to add: damn coma, we must've been replying at the same time and I didn't see your post until after I posted myself. Seems you and I are on the same page. That's not surprising, considering we were listening to Metallica long before most of their current fans were born. :D
Bob Rock OUT. Rick Rubin IN. He will tell them when they suck. He's not a syncophant. So theres a 1% hope. That signing stuff is wackity wack. He cant sing. Not cant sing like Dylan just cant sing period. His melodies voxwise are lame too.
St Anus. Haw!:lol:
I take no joy in slagging them. To say I fugging Loved Metallica is an understatement. Its like seeing you saintly Mom become a crack skank.

Yeah were are on the upper edge of age on this board and Im glad we agree poiny for point. I dont want to seem smug "back in the day things were better" but when you grow up with a culture or an artist (in this case Metallica) and they turn to sh!t, its just sad. whn justice came out my boy greg dame home with the tape being first in line. The anticipation was really similar to knowing your about to bag a super fine chick.
The Black Album. Smiles turn to frowns like you lost your hardie.

Id like to hear a new Justice Mix. More Jason, less Drum Gating (AS in NONE) those toms sound real dated like Phil Collins now. Garage Days is the Ultimate MeTallica Mix job. That record soiund superior to all the others by a MILE.

Jason was the man to watch live. He is the most enthusiastic musician ever. Its not fake like "now I bang My head, now I scowl". He's just real. I got lots of respect for him. He was embraced immediatley becasue of his earnestness, which is unusual because Cliff was the beat musician in Metallica. Big shoes to fill indeed.

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2007, 07:26 PM
I agree, Jason was fantastic to watch on stage, and everything he did he looked like he meant it.

To me, since I'm not just a music fan but a musician (guitarists for 27 years now, was in a touring band for 9 years), I appreciate that, and I can usually tell when people are just 'going through the motions' or slamming out and meaning what they play. Jason meant everything when he played and was sooo into what he was doing - probably mostly because he's a fan first - as someone else already pointed out.

I still say the best career move he ever made was to get the hell out of Metallica. Now, that being said, I think his forey into "Rock Star Supernova" was kinda cheesy, but again, he had and still has more integrity than Gilby & Tommy and everyone else on that show put together.

Lets hope that if a song sucks, a riff sucks, or they start falling back into their Load/Reload/St. Anger ways, Rick Rubin will kick them in the nutsack, tell them it's sh*t, and push them to do better.

One can dream, but sometimes those dreams can turn into nightmares. Lets just see where this goes. I'm hopeful, but I don't have a lot of faith... and like you, it saddens me to no end to bag on these guys, but if ANY band has ever been accused of screwing over their fans in a royal fashion, it's these guys. Not to mention, when you have a dingbat like Lars as the spokesperson for your band, that doesn't help either. :lol:

I'll just keep my fingers crossed, hope for the best, and expect the worst.

BTW: I agree about Garage Days - that was fantastic sounding, even with all of it's apparent "warts" (ie: bum notes, buzzing amps, background noise, etc). THAT is how Metallica was meant to be heard. Live, raw, and in your face. I enjoyed the production on MOP, but yeah, Garage Days (the first one, not this Garage Inc. crap) was where it's at. :D

El_Hooligan
22-Feb-2007, 08:58 PM
Rock out with your cock out. I liked Metallica's Master of the Puppets, Ride the Lightning and And Justice... CDs. Post And Justice... they just sucked. That's only MY opinion, of course.

An earlier poster mentioned Anthrax and S.O.D.. Man, I love SOD! Billy Milano and Scotty Ian just kick ass. I like Anthrax, but I don't care for Joey Belladonna and the other singers they've had very much. Billy Milano should have left MOD and joined Anthrax as the lead vocalist.

LouCipherr
23-Feb-2007, 12:43 PM
Milano in Anthrax? OMG, that could be really interesting.. I guess it's not so far fetched - hell, Anthrax did a cover of "Milk" so nothing would surprise me.

"Kill yourself, kill yourself, Why don't you kill yourself? Don't rely on no one else, end it all just kill yourself noooowwww!" :lol:

Milano came up with some of the funniest sh*t i've ever heard recorded on an album.

I think, in light of the many things going on in the world today, I'm gonna spin "F*ck the Middle East" by them right now... :elol:

LC

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2007, 01:04 PM
Don't forget Anthrax also did their rendition of "Chromatic Death" which they titled "Attack Of The Killer B's".

I think Billy Milano in Anthrax would have ruined that band. Anthrax may be silly but they have their serious sides... Milano can't be serious and doesn't have that great of a voice. Neil Turbin and Joey Belladonna were/are great singers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Billy Milano despite the fact that he's one of the biggest dicks ever. When I saw them live he did like 45 minutes of stand-up comedy halfway through the set followed by them doing all of the "Ballad Of" songs, including some new/unreleased ones, which totaled up to like 12 or something. Probably the funniest live show I've ever seen.

PUSSYWHIPPED, PUSSYWHIPPED, DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE PUSSYWHIPPED?!?!

LouCipherr
23-Feb-2007, 01:49 PM
:lol:

That's right, they did Chromatic Death too. Wasn't that and March of the SOD the songs they used for the intros to MTV's "Headbangers Ball" back in the day? i think they were.

yeah, I don't think Milano would fit in Anthrax, but damn, that would be hilarious. Basically, you'd have SOD with a new bass player. :D

"I wish I had some goddamn milk, my Cheerios just ain't the same!
I wish I had some goddamn milk, too bad the milkman never came!"

:lol: It never gets old. :D

bub21
23-Feb-2007, 04:55 PM
I must say out of the big 4, Slayer reigns supreme. They're the one band that didn't sell out and soften up. They're kicking just as much ass now as they did in 83. I'm proud to have been able to see Slayer the show they filmed for their DVD 'still reigning.' no one in the crowd knew it was going to rain blood, then all the lights went dark and Lombardo started playing the intro... then it just all came down. amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-DTrMG4vs

capncnut
23-Feb-2007, 11:37 PM
Top performance. :evil: