PDA

View Full Version : Great new Interview ON CAMERA ...

DeadCentral
19-Feb-2007, 08:28 PM
George...on camera discussing the DIARY film with my buddies over at dreadcentral.com, you can either check it out on my news page (http://www.dead-central.com/viewpage.php?page_id=34)or drop by dreadcentral.com and check it out!!

capncnut
20-Feb-2007, 12:45 AM
It's nice to see GAR all relaxed about this, I'm really looking forward to Diary now. And not only do we have this to look forward to but he's following it up with a zombie comedy, too much man!

Fantastic news, nice one DC. :thumbsup:

DeadCentral
20-Feb-2007, 01:41 AM
As promised man , as soon as I get word from my buds I get it to you guys ... I got the story this mornin but I had already left for work....

DjfunkmasterG
20-Feb-2007, 08:54 PM
So we have the truth, Universal let him do his thing on LAND. So do those of us whom find Land hideous now blame him? Because he said "Universal let me do my thing."

capncnut
20-Feb-2007, 09:29 PM
The only thing I'll ever blame GAR for is filling my life with exciting movies for the last 20+ years. Just because he made a par flick doesn't mean I'm gonna waggle my finger in his face. One day, he's gonna make a new movie thats gonna wipe the grimaces from all these Land-sour faces and really bring home the goods. At least he's sticking with the zombies. Who would've dreamed a day where GAR would make 3 zombie movies in a row?

axlish
20-Feb-2007, 09:34 PM
The only thing I'll ever blame GAR for is filling my life with exciting movies for the last 20+ years. Just because he made a par flick doesn't mean I'm gonna waggle my finger in his face. One day, he's gonna make a new movie thats gonna wipe the grimaces from all these Land-sour faces and really bring home the goods. At least he's sticking with the zombies. Who would've dreamed a day where GAR would make 3 zombie movies in a row?

While I find Land to be sub-par, I completely agree with what you've stated here.

coma
20-Feb-2007, 09:35 PM
GAR is, and will always be, The MAN.
I am glad he finally accepted he was typecast and is totally embraceing the zombies. Becasue he is REaLLY good at it.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Feb-2007, 10:30 PM
I think George did great with Night Dawn and Day, Land sucked. My opinion, but it sucked. I have hopes for Diary. I am hoping he really digs into it. I am keeping my hopes up, but expectations low.

Debbieangel
20-Feb-2007, 11:11 PM
I think George did great with Night Dawn and Day, Land sucked. My opinion, but it sucked. I have hopes for Diary. I am hoping he really digs into it. I am keeping my hopes up, but expectations low.

I am holding out soo much hope that Diary is going to knock our collective socks off! I am trying to keep expections on the high side cause the way I think of it, it's going to be the very beginning of the zombies happening just like your movie Dj ,it is surprising what is going to happen next to the characters and to the world, its not like it all happened and there you have it, time to survive now. I love that surprise element in films, the edge of you seat....the dont know what will happen next thing! That's why I liked your movie so much cause of the element of the unknown! Sure we know zombies will attack people will get killed yada yada yada....but, it is the story to tell and how it is told ,now that is what willl draw me to the theater to see Diary.

coma
21-Feb-2007, 12:57 AM
Good thing about low expectations, If it is at least very good it will totally rock for you. I liked land, but it wasnt really what I was looking for and , to me, lacked the hallmarks of a usual GAR film

El_Hooligan
21-Feb-2007, 01:36 AM
Diary is more Canadian crap from Romero. He lost it when he made the move to Toronto. His new stuff reminds of Ringo Starr's solo career. He was good when he was with the Beatles but his solo stuff just sucks. The same can be said for Sting and a lot of others too. Just because Romero was good in the past doesn't mean he is good now. Take Stephen King, for example. He hasn't written a decent book since The Dark Half.

I love Romero but I remain skeptical of Diary, especially after seeing the turd Land ended up being.

Moon Knight
21-Feb-2007, 07:05 AM
Awesome. Thanks!

Griff
21-Feb-2007, 10:17 AM
So we have the truth, Universal let him do his thing on LAND. So do those of us whom find Land hideous now blame him? Because he said "Universal let me do my thing."

I think there was never any doubt, at least for those who had read the script, that George was able to make his movie. But that doesn't necessarily equate to carte blanche and those in the know, know that that definitely wasn't the case.

As for the hinted at zombie comedy, can we be sure that DIAMOND DEAD hasn't begun to regain interest with the financiers? If DIARY as already turned a profit, should that be a huge surprise?

DjfunkmasterG
21-Feb-2007, 10:32 AM
Well a lot of people have said Universal was keeping him from doing what he wanted and there was that supposed "walk off" on the last day of shooting. Based on his comments it seems he got to do pretty much whatever he wanted.

I read the Land script and what I read did not translate well to screen. The only thing missing were the zombie rats, and a few minor dialogue changes, but what I read was way different that what I had watched. I would like to believe it was 20 years since the last film in the zombie genre, and that he just didn't have the right groove when he made Land. To me it seemed like Land was just slapped together.

Danny
21-Feb-2007, 12:14 PM
ive notcied that during land he seemed more on edge but he seems more at ease with the whole independant thing, maybe he jsut couldnt deal with all the crap you'd get working with someone liek universal, he is gettin' on in years so while he may be able to make great films, as you get older you "taking-****" threshold wears thinner.
hope this is great, but like dj after land my expectations are low, but i think of it as very little chance of me being dissapointed.:)

Griff
21-Feb-2007, 01:34 PM
I read the Land script and what I read did not translate well to screen. The only thing missing were the zombie rats, and a few minor dialogue changes, but what I read was way different that what I had watched.

Yeah, alot of detail was sacrificed in ensuring the bigger picture was put onscreen. Scenes like the hanging zombie illustrate just how limited the production was in comparison to what the screenplay had envisaged. I remember reading one particularly striking scene where security guards were attacked by zombies emerging through billowing clouds of thick black smoke. It was very evocative but, alas, it was eschewed in favour of a more fundamental (ie. cheap) approach.

I would like to believe it was 20 years since the last film in the zombie genre, and that he just didn't have the right groove when he made Land. To me it seemed like Land was just slapped together.

Absolutely. The film is in an incredible rush. Alot of short cuts are taken in an effort just to get this idea or that idea across. It seems, however, that elaboration was not an option.

LAND OF THE DEAD probably could have used a bit of a rethink, ala DAY OF THE DEAD, but the movie was rushed into production and then through post-production. It didn't lose its scope, like DAY, but it ultimately paid for it by sacrificing its finesse.

I can't blame Romero for that. The only other option was to kill the picture, which is not an option at all, really.

If LAND OF THE DEAD is a failure, at least its an interesting one - which is more than can be said of some recent 'successes'.

kidgloves
21-Feb-2007, 09:18 PM
"Already made a profit in presales in europe"
So its a box office smash already :elol:
Nice to see Uncle George looking so relaxed about the whole thing. No pressure to rush and release it, he just needs to sit back and polish it till he's got what he wants. :)
Great job by the interviewer BTW.

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2007, 01:55 PM
Awesome, thanks for that interview. Very cool.

I have hopes for Diary, and yes, i'm among the people who didn't care for Land. I dont flat-out hate it, but I don't think it was that good either.

I find it interesting he didn't even mention Land by name (either that, or I missed it. My 10 yr old was trying to talk to me at the same time I was watching it). Perhaps that says it all right there...?

Regardless, I'm waiting for Diary and am hopeful, but like Dj, I will keep my expectations very low.

And "Shoot the Dead" as a tagline? ick, I hope they drop that. Yes, I "get it", I just don't like it. :D

DVW5150
22-Feb-2007, 06:29 PM
I say , let the danged film come out , then lets give opinions on it ...

foolykonno3
04-Mar-2007, 07:19 PM
Land didn't last long in theaters around here, so I never got a chance to see it until a few months ago. I didn't really like the subpar acting, but the concept was kinda extended DAY. Infact, I like to think of Land as "alternate future day of the dead".

As for diaries, I am looking forward to it, but as alot have said, I pretty low expectations.

Romero at the end mentioned doing a zomedy.... Maybe Shaun of the Dead 2? :O

Fulcifan91
28-Mar-2007, 01:35 AM
Romero at the end mentioned doing a zomedy.... Maybe Shaun of the Dead 2? :O

Exactly what I was thinking, atleast something with Simon Pegg or Edgar Wright, i can see it comming.

Danny
28-Mar-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah, alot of detail was sacrificed in ensuring the bigger picture was put onscreen. Scenes like the hanging zombie illustrate just how limited the production was in comparison to what the screenplay had envisaged. I remember reading one particularly striking scene where security guards were attacked by zombies emerging through billowing clouds of thick black smoke. It was very evocative but, alas, it was eschewed in favour of a more fundamental (ie. cheap) approach.

now i bought the land directors cut the other day and that does have the scene were the guy hangs himslef and cholo has to "dispose" of him, that wasnt in the theatres here, too be about the zombie rats though, the implications at the end wouldve been good, rats can get into your homes no matter how well you barricade so you could still "get bitten" and if you didnt know it was a zombie rat you could turn into a zombie inside the building, but since they barricaded it so bad to keep zombies out, now theyve got zombies inside , more outside and a heavy baricade shutting them in.
theres a scene for the ladn sequel:D