PDA

View Full Version : Slither anyone?

Andy
20-Feb-2007, 09:42 PM
Anyone remember this film?

It was made out to be the best horror comedy since shaun of the dead, then i just never heard anything else about it..

im watching severance now and it got me thinking about slither for some reason.. i know it got released but i dont recall seeing any topics on it.. has anyone seen it? is it that good or bad? worth watching?

coma
20-Feb-2007, 09:47 PM

It was made out to be the best horror comedy since shaun of the dead, then i just never heard anything else about it..

im watching severance now and it got me thinking about slither for some reason.. i know it got released but i dont recall seeing any topics on it.. has anyone seen it? is it that good or bad? worth watching?
Is that the one form like 2o years ago?
A guy turns into a snake?
Man, Im burnt

Andy
20-Feb-2007, 09:52 PM
No it was released last year, but i beleive it bombed.

i was just wondering if anyone had seen it and what they thought..

Found it on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439815/)

slickwilly13
20-Feb-2007, 10:18 PM
Is that the one form like 2o years ago?
A guy turns into a snake?
Man, Im burnt

That was either Curse 2: The Bite or SSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Eyebiter
20-Feb-2007, 10:55 PM
Saw Slither in the theaters, it was a fair horror movie but wasn't really that funny. For a rated 'R' movie it didn't seem that violent. Lot of disgusting special effect scenes. Worth a rental.

The monsters are similar to those found in Night of the Creeps. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091630/

HLS
20-Feb-2007, 11:32 PM
I saw it and I loved it. It was too much like Night of the Creeps from the 80's but I loved it. it was cool, it was funny, it was creepy and scary. It was cheezy as hell and that made it even better :)

coma
21-Feb-2007, 01:15 AM
That was either Curse 2: The Bite or SSSSSSSSSSSSS.

SSSSSSSSSSS. Thats the one!
Thanks

I saw it and I loved it. It was too much like Night of the Creeps from the 80's but I loved it. it was cool, it was funny, it was creepy and scary. It was cheezy as hell and that made it even better :)
Night of the Creeps is an exploitation classic. Underseen. I dont even think tis on DVD. At least it was out of print for a long time

El_Hooligan
21-Feb-2007, 01:20 AM
I went to see James Gunn's Slither during its theatrical run. It wasn't too bad, but don't expect anything ground breaking either.

Basically, a meteor crashes to Earth, infects scumbag husband who, in turn, infects a lonely single mom. Alien slugs turn the town into zombies and fiends and mayhem ensues. Handsome cop gets the young widow of the scumbag hubby in the end and blows up in the Alien brain with a propane tank, ala Dawn of the Dead '04 (I guess James Gunn has a thing for propane and propane accessories). The End.

Kaos
21-Feb-2007, 01:44 AM
I went to see James Gunn's Slither during its theatrical run. It wasn't too bad, but don't expect anything ground breaking either.

Basically, a meteor crashes to Earth, infects scumbag husband who, in turn, infects a lonely single mom. Alien slugs turn the town into zombies and fiends and mayhem ensues. Handsome cop gets the young widow of the scumbag hubby in the end and blows up in the Alien brain with a propane tank, ala Dawn of the Dead '04 (I guess James Gunn has a thing for propane and propane accessories). The End.
Slither is actually a nice tribute to the 80's monster flick. It avoids cgi.

El_Hooligan
21-Feb-2007, 01:48 AM
Slither is actually a nice tribute to the 80's monster flick. It avoids cgi.

I wouldn't go that far. But it was definitely James Gunn giving a nod to Lloyd Kaufman and Troma pictures for giving him his start, writing Tromeo and Juliet. He was definitely aiming for a Troma film with a budget.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Feb-2007, 10:38 AM
Slither was Troma's most expensive film to date, with a budget of $20,000,000.

Anyone who thinks Slither is not an overdone Troma film really needs to learn more about Troma. The only difference other than budget was Slither had people who could act. Slither is neither great nor bad. It is fun at times and I really like Gregg Henry as the mayor of the town. He pretty much stole the movie.

Also it should be mentioned Elizabeth Banks has a nice ass... actually she has a GREAT ass. :D

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2007, 11:31 AM
Slither is nothing more than "meh", take it or leave it, it leaves no lasting impression ... and it's blatantly massively in debt to (among others) David Cronenberg's "Shivers" and that flick "Night of the Creeps".

Severance - damn, I was supposed to get a free DVD of that from Total Film for having a letter printed, but the bastard hasn't turned up! :( I really wanna see it, it's not gonna be Shaun of the Dead (despite the subliminally similar packaging design), but I've heard good things and have liked what I've seen of it from trailers, clips and reviews...

But Slither is really forgettable, some mildly amusing/gross parts, but overall it's just so "meh" and teeny-bobberish.

Danny
21-Feb-2007, 11:59 AM
^what he said, with an extra meh and a shrug thrown in.:bored:

Andy
21-Feb-2007, 01:38 PM

In future please use tags when your posting spoilers.

Thanks.

Neil
21-Feb-2007, 02:08 PM

I saw it at the cinema and quite enjoyed it... + It has Nathan Fillion in it who's always good for a laugh :)

HLS
21-Feb-2007, 03:24 PM

Anyone who thinks Slither is not an overdone Troma film really needs to learn more about Troma. The only difference other than budget was Slither had people who could act. Slither is neither great nor bad. It is fun at times and I really like Gregg Henry as the mayor of the town. He pretty much stole the movie.

Also it should be mentioned Elizabeth Banks has a nice ass... actually she has a GREAT ass. :D

WOW I did not realize it was a Troma movie!

Kaos
21-Feb-2007, 07:20 PM

I fail to see how our opinion of the movie is incongruent. :)

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2007, 10:05 PM
Well ... Elizabeth Banks is fit as f*ck though. :D

That was the best part of the whole damn movie for me!

jdog
22-Feb-2007, 04:47 AM

i agree Gregg henry was hilarious and i enjoyed the movie. i am really in to chezzy 80s flicks and slither reminded me big time of them. if anything it was a fun movie

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2007, 10:12 AM
w00t! My DVD of Serverance turned up! YAY!

Just as I'd stopped waiting for it as well ... still though, took long enough! :lol:

Nathan Fillion ... yeah he's alright, he was good in that thar flick from that thar Buffy bloke...

DjfunkmasterG
22-Feb-2007, 10:46 AM

She was one of the gems in that movie, thats for sure. she still has a GREAT ASS! :D

Danny
22-Feb-2007, 01:58 PM
w00t! My DVD of Serverance turned up! YAY!

i feel sorry for ya', id rather watch cabin fever again than that, and thats a stretch on its own.

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2007, 05:45 PM
I watched Severance and I rather enjoyed it (like I did with Cabin Fever).

*confused over the really old-ass American Clearasil advert doing the rounds on TV lately ... it's got that guy from That 70's Show, but years younger ... why are they re-showing an ancient mid-90s advert now?!*

Anyway, I thought Severance was rather good, a lot of fun and a neat little idea. A million miles better than Smith's previous feature (Creep), which was a bowl of man-sacks.

capncnut
22-Feb-2007, 11:14 PM
I bought Severence today for £7.99 out of Blockys. I'll either watch it tomorrow or the weekend.

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2007, 10:09 AM
It ain't Shaun of the Dead, but "the office meets deliverance" is a pretty good overall description. It's not as hilarious nor as gory as some reviews hyped it to be, but in terms of 'foreigners getting killed' horror, it's definitely better than Hostel (although, like I said, not as gross ... and with comedy).

Danny Dyer is great in it ... MUSHROOMS!!! :lol:

capncnut
23-Feb-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that geezer makes me laugh.

deadpunk
24-Feb-2007, 06:43 AM
I thought Slither was pretty good. A few hours of mindless entertainment never hurt anyone.

What surprises me is, of all the comparisons being made to this movie no one has mentioned the one that first struck me. Tremors. ;)

bassman
24-Feb-2007, 06:53 AM
I thought Slither was pretty good. A few hours of mindless entertainment never hurt anyone.

What surprises me is, of all the comparisons being made to this movie no one has mentioned the one that first struck me. Tremors. ;)

Never seen it...but judging by the trailers, "A few hours of mindless entertainment" is what I thought of. Basically, it's Dawn04.

coma
24-Feb-2007, 05:11 PM

maybe a goofy language question.
In the US, your grandma can be fit because it just means in good physical condition.
Should assume fit is a synonym for hot only?

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2007, 06:17 PM
The normal use of the word "fit" still means "in shape" here in the UK, but with 'tha yoof' like me, it means "attactive/sexy/shaggable".

See, that's the thing with language, it's a snynonym/meaning quagmire ... it's like "forget about it" in the mobster world (yes, I've been watching Donnie Brasco).

coma
24-Feb-2007, 06:40 PM
The normal use of the word "fit" still means "in shape" here in the UK, but with 'tha yoof' like me, it means "attactive/sexy/shaggable".

See, that's the thing with language, it's a snynonym/meaning quagmire ... it's like "forget about it" in the mobster world (yes, I've been watching Donnie Brasco).
fuggedaboutit is often the mark of an meathead. When I was a teenager you might refer in a derogatory way to someone as "he's one of those guys that says fuggedaboutit". The dudes who say it tend to say it nonstop.
Its one of those things that seem quaint in a movie, but not so much in reality.

MikePizzoff
25-Sep-2011, 11:55 AM
Thread necromancy...

Recently picked up Slither on a whim and ended up liking it a lot. It's essentially a zombie movie, and they're pretty much shamblers, so that gives it some credibility right off the bat, for me. Yes, it's mindless entertainment but it sure as hell ain't Dawn '04, as Danny predicted. It's definitely an 80's throwback.

A meteor crash lands in a small middle-of-nowhere US town, with a little slug-like creature inside of it. A guy (Michael Rooker) finds it and the slug enters his brain (a la Night Of The Creeps), turning him into a weirdo who craves raw meat. He slowly transforms into an almost primordial.... thing. Hard to describe. Anyway, eventually everyone in the town turns into pretty-much-zombies and I don't want to spoil how because it's pretty damn cool.

Definitely worth picking up if you can find it for $5 or under. I'd even spend more on it, now having seen it, but I know it's probably not for everyone.

EvilNed
25-Sep-2011, 02:42 PM
I seem to recall it being very much like Night of the Creeps, which isn't a bad thing at all. But it was also too clichéd. I love horror, but 95% of the "small town gets invaded by horrible creatures" films are exactly, exaaaactly the same except for the interchangeable creatures. Slither is essentially "Bats" or "Eight Legged Freaks" but with the monsters from Night of the Creeps.

bassman
25-Sep-2011, 02:46 PM
I was surprised that I really enjoyed it. Just a fun romp. Nathan Fillion made the movie for me. I'm not even a Firefly fan, but it's shocking that guy doesn't get more movie roles. He's hilarious.

MikePizzoff
25-Sep-2011, 03:27 PM
I liked all the blunt ways the main cop would say things, like when he first sees Michael Rooker as the creature, the way he delivers "What the fuck was that?" is fucking hilarious.

Danny
25-Sep-2011, 03:30 PM
I was surprised that I really enjoyed it. Just a fun romp. Nathan Fillion made the movie for me. I'm not even a Firefly fan, but it's shocking that guy doesn't get more movie roles. He's hilarious.

nathan fillions like morgan freeman or something. just got a way of spekaing that entertains you. still not so hot on this film but after a few rewatches i appreciate it for a great fillion performance.