PDA

View Full Version : Nobody disses Jack Palance, foo'!

EvilNed
23-Feb-2007, 07:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6382673.stm

"Jack Palance was voted most unworthy of best actor or best supporting actor glory, after picking up the Oscar for his supporting performance in 1991 Western movie City Slickers."

What the ****? Jack Palance was a kick ass actor!

jdog
23-Feb-2007, 08:31 PM

"Jack Palance was voted most unworthy of best actor or best supporting actor glory, after picking up the Oscar for his supporting performance in 1991 Western movie City Slickers."

i agree Jack Palance was a hell of an actor and one mean old son of a b!tch.

coma
23-Feb-2007, 08:33 PM
Jack Palance was great, however I in no way enjoyed City Slickers. I think I am a minority on that though
so I would agree he didint deserve it for that particular film

EvilNed
23-Feb-2007, 09:15 PM
But the Oscars are all about bull****! Return of the King didn't deserve a single Oscar, yet it got 11. You can agree that it was entertaining, but few would say that it was the BEST film of 2004 (or whatever year it's from). It's not THAT good. They even gave it an Oscar for Best Original Score, even though the previous two films features the exact SAME score, thus it wasn't very Original, was it?

Anyway, the point is that ROTK got the oscars because people at the academy felt it was about time they shared some love with that trilogy. If people don't have any problems with that, how can they have a problem with Jack Palance getting an Oscar for being so damn cool?

coma
23-Feb-2007, 09:46 PM
But the Oscars are all about bull****! Return of the King didn't deserve a single Oscar, yet it got 11. You can agree that it was entertaining, but few would say that it was the BEST film of 2004 (or whatever year it's from). It's not THAT good. They even gave it an Oscar for Best Original Score, even though the previous two films features the exact SAME score, thus it wasn't very Original, was it?

Anyway, the point is that ROTK got the oscars because people at the academy felt it was about time they shared some love with that trilogy. If people don't have any problems with that, how can they have a problem with Jack Palance getting an Oscar for being so damn cool?
I lost all interest in awards after that Milli Vanilli thing and not for the reasons most give. If the SONG won, the public face of the song shouldnt matter. They should have just tranferred to the actual performers. Ordinary People beat raging Bull. And DOTD was the best film of 1979 goddammit

_liam_
23-Feb-2007, 09:55 PM
f*** the academy. means about as much to me as the brit awards or the grammies.

fresh
antonias line
city of god
american splendor
la haine
dobermann
dawn of the dead
children of men

did any of these films pick up oscars? nope. but are they better than chicago, titanic, etc? hell yes.

hence academy = w*nk.

HLS
23-Feb-2007, 09:59 PM

Yes, agreed jack was awesome! i wish he was still alive.

I loved the trilogy when it first came out. It amazes me that it was so good given half the actors can not act outside the trilogy.

Danny
23-Feb-2007, 10:02 PM
^ "orlando bloom, spill in aisle three, bloom spill in aisle three...":lol:

coma
23-Feb-2007, 10:41 PM
f*** the academy. means about as much to me as the brit awards or the grammies.

fresh
antonias line
city of god
american splendor
la haine
dobermann
dawn of the dead
children of men

did any of these films pick up oscars? nope. but are they better than chicago, titanic, etc? hell yes.

hence academy = w*nk.
fresh
city of god
american splendor
la haine
dawn of the dead
Every one of those is excellent
Fresh is one of the best and an early Sam Jackson film too.
City of God was so good in everyway. Not to mention a unique look into Brazils Shanty towns. The filmmaker was from the City Of God.
American Splendor is a total masterpiece. Literally the comic come to life.
Juice was a great movie. Not like Fresh, but I never hear it mentioned anywhere.
LaHaine was really original. I liked how the Jewish Kid was the nutjob, the Arab was the Pimp and the black kid was smart and reasonable. Flipped the hood movie on its head. How a gun was a rare find was a great look into another cultures norms
I ahve posted 500 times on DOTDs greatness already

Didnt see the others I didnt list

Titanic and Chicago were both totally wack. When I saw Titanic I had been drinking Scottish Ale. I fell asleep and woke up for when the boat starts to sink. A great 1/2 hour. The rest? who cares

Yes, agreed jack was awesome! i wish he was still alive.

I loved the trilogy when it first came out. It amazes me that it was so good given half the actors can not act outside the trilogy.
I dont know, Frodo was kick ass in green street hooligans. I thought Samwise was great. I loved LOTR trilogy. All of em to different degrees.
Yeah I forgot everybodies real names

capncnut
23-Feb-2007, 11:46 PM
Jack Palance was a f**king legend. :cool:

_liam_
24-Feb-2007, 12:27 AM
amazing to see someone else likes "fresh". i have been a media student/practitioner for 5 years and ive met FIVE people who've seen that movie.

everyone, if you havent seen it, give it a whirl, if you like emotional dramas and hood movies, you will dig this movie, i guarantee...

coma
24-Feb-2007, 12:38 AM
amazing to see someone else likes "fresh". i have been a media student/practitioner for 5 years and ive met FIVE people who've seen that movie.

everyone, if you havent seen it, give it a whirl, if you like emotional dramas and hood movies, you will dig this movie, i guarantee...
"what do you have to offer my organization?"
"Yo, I bust out ALL them Dope Moves!"
"Shut up, Chucky!"

To me its not a hood movie cause its not about the hood. Its about Fresh, his Dad, Chucky and the stupidity of man. About how it takes brains to survive not idiot profiling.
I think Fresh is a masterpiece. The writing is rarely matched ans that kid is a top notch actor. Truly gifted.
Chucky was awesome. I knew a sh!tload of kids like that growing up.
There is not one wrong note in that movie.
Yeah, you had a great list there. We like the same things.

Kaos
24-Feb-2007, 12:45 AM
Jack is dead and he can still kick the ass of the punks that voted him most unworthy.

Debbieangel
25-Feb-2007, 12:06 AM
Dis Jack Palance?:eek: NEVER!!!
He was one of my fav horror actors of all time right up there with Boris Karloff, VINCENT PRICE, Bela Lagosi, the list goes on and on!
I loved Jack Palance when he played a vampire he was a very good blood sucking fiend! LOL

capncnut
26-Feb-2007, 01:00 AM
I loved Jack Palance when he played a vampire he was a very good blood sucking fiend!
I have a vague recollection of that. What movie was it?

Debbieangel
26-Feb-2007, 01:26 AM
I have a vague recollection of that. What movie was it?

Dracula...1974..Dan Curtis is the director!
Dan Curtis also was the creator of the series from the 60's "Dark Shadows" here in the USA!
That reminds me I havent watched that series in awhile hubby and I used to watch it every night on vhs tapes. Its a good series it starts out slow cause they didnt bring the supernatural in it til later whey they brought Barnabas Collins the vampire in the series.
Vampires and zombies ya I love em' both!:D :p

capncnut
26-Feb-2007, 01:29 AM
Dark Shadows was great as a kid. :D

AcesandEights
26-Feb-2007, 02:33 AM
Jack Palance was cool, but I didn't see much talent in his acting.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Feb-2007, 11:04 AM

Fresh has Samuel L. Jackson in it correct? He was this street wise chess player whom tried to mentor this kid to keep him from being a thung right?

I hope it is the same movie I am thinking of, if it is, that was a kick ass movie.

coma
26-Feb-2007, 06:41 PM
Fresh has Samuel L. Jackson in it correct? He was this street wise chess player whom tried to mentor this kid to keep him from being a thung right?

I hope it is the same movie I am thinking of, if it is, that was a kick ass movie.
Sam was his father who lived in a trailer in Brooklyn on an abandoned lot. Practically homeless. He wasnt trying to show Fresh anything but how to play Chess. Fresh used to strategy of chess to extricate him for a tough situation.
His father was also a world class chess player and a speed chess champ, at least in The park.

Yes, Fresh was excellent.